As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mail Thief - Steps for Securing Home

SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
So I own a multi-family home that sits on a main-thoroughfare and it appears that I've got a mail thief on my hands. You know what they say - third time's the charm and after the third stolen package, I'm looking into researching preventative measures. When I eventually move out, I don't want my tenants having to worry about this - and my primary concern consists of documents that are sensitive (such as W-2), so having someone sign isn't an option for things like that.

With that said:
1. Is there anything I can have the USPS do other than report that there is a mail thief?
2. Does anyone have experience or recommendations installing security cameras to document what is happening? What if they are concealing their face with a hood?
3. Maybe posting a sign mentioning that the property is under surveillance would be enough of a deterrant? Or perhaps an alternative mail drop off with USPS?

Appreciate your help.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    3a seems a great way to make sure that 2b starts happening.
    3b is called a PO box.

Are you missing just packages or letters like mail as well? It strikes me as different sorts of people would be interested in each of those.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You can have a post office put a locking mailbox in, as well. Most multidwelling apartments have them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You can buy a locking mailbox from Home Depot or Lowes or online. They have a slot or trap door for the mailman and a locked main door for you. You can even buy one large enough to handle small packages.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    3a seems a great way to make sure that 2b starts happening.
    3b is called a PO box.

Are you missing just packages or letters like mail as well? It strikes me as different sorts of people would be interested in each of those.

Prior to me owning the property - my Tenants have told me that people have stolen W-2 forms from the mailbox. Since I've been here I've only seen my packages from Amazon of a certain size being stolen.

I'm going to work on installing that lock-box alongside USPS - one big enough for packages should do the trick - since they seem to have avoided grabbing larger and heavier packages.

Going to definitely also get 3A going...and also entertain in the interim putting out fake amazon boxes with glitter bombs inside of them ;p

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    ultimately you need a secure way to receive mail, whether that's a interior mail slot (not sure if practical/possible) or a secure exterior box. Security theater (i.e. un-monitored cameras, signage) may deter a theft but if you're in a high-traffic area that probably will not help for long.

I don't know this for a fact, but apparently when amazon dropped UPS and switched to USPS they instructed them to leave packages at the door unless they require a signature. You can post a notice asking carriers not to leave packages at the door/mailbox, but 1) apparently whether to honor this or not is at the discretion of the mail carrier and 2) you then have to pick the package up at the local post office which may not be convenient.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ultimately you need a secure way to receive mail, whether that's a interior mail slot (not sure if practical/possible) or a secure exterior box. Security theater (i.e. un-monitored cameras, signage) may deter a theft but if you're in a high-traffic area that probably will not help for long.

I don't know this for a fact, but apparently when amazon dropped UPS and switched to USPS they instructed them to leave packages at the door unless they require a signature. You can post a notice asking carriers not to leave packages at the door/mailbox, but 1) apparently whether to honor this or not is at the discretion of the mail carrier and 2) you then have to pick the package up at the local post office which may not be convenient.

Agree with your feelings on a secure way to receive mail. I think I'm going to invest in a couple of large parcel deposit boxes and give tenants the keys when they move in. This should run me anywhere between $400-$1,000 - but if I'm annoyed by the constant worry of someone stealing my mail, I wouldn't expect my tenants to have to worry about it.

I'll look into making a request about them not leaving packages - Honestly, I'd rather pick it up at a location (USPS/UPS/FED EX) than have to worry about something being stolen. For everything else (mail/w-2's/smaller packages) - the parcel deposit boxes should work nicely.

Appreciate everyone's help.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Is managing the property your day job? You can have parcels delivered to your office and have the tenants pick up their packages until the deposit box is set up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    @Thomamelas may have thoughts on an appropriate surveillance system

spool32 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

I'll look into making a request about them not leaving packages - Honestly, I'd rather pick it up at a location (USPS/UPS/FED EX) than have to worry about something being stolen. For everything else (mail/w-2's/smaller packages) - the parcel deposit boxes should work nicely.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Having just done this, none of my three package delivery services (USPS, UPS and FedEx) bothered with the sign I posted not to leave packages. I even called and complained about it and they straight up said they didn't care and kept doing it. I did manage to get FedEx to leave the packages somewhere else by signing up for their online thing and entering special instructions for my address but that's it. Did the same for UPS and they ignored it.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I too have had mail stolen and taken the steps of installing the trap door style mail box mentioned earlier
    But I have a feeling by how fast and vague the post office was last time it was within them

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I'd recommend getting and installing a security system. Not just for the mail thief, but for general security / liability issues as well.

You can get a decent 4-camera system + HDD for $200 or so, and most of them are internet capable so you can check on your property remotely...and it's something that could be a minor selling point for your tenants.

Also, check with your insurance company. Lots of insurance companies offer a discount if you install a security system, which can help to defray the cost.

• Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Having just done this, none of my three package delivery services (USPS, UPS and FedEx) bothered with the sign I posted not to leave packages. I even called and complained about it and they straight up said they didn't care and kept doing it. I did manage to get FedEx to leave the packages somewhere else by signing up for their online thing and entering special instructions for my address but that's it. Did the same for UPS and they ignored it.

With the USPS at least, you have to be very, very persistent - and don't bother with the toll-free service line, as (in my experience, anyway) if you can even manage to get a human on the line, chances are they'll be rude as hell and/or will flat-out lie to get you off the phone.

Call your local office directly, talk to the postmaster if at all possible, and keep following up if it's not resolved - I had an issue several years ago with a "lost" piece of mail full of sensitive info that nobody could be bothered to track down...eventually after several calls and a string of emails, the county/regional postmaster got involved, and they suddenly were able to miraculously find and deliver my stuff.

UPS on the other hand...don't know what to tell you there, i've also had many and varied issues with them, but they really don't seem to give a damn about anything - I actually had a night supervisor call and start ranting at me after I complained to one of the national level customer reps, nothing ever came of it.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png