As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Next Episode: Ask Florida Man] Star Wars - The History of the Jedi...

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

> When I made Seth, I knew I wanted to not be a Jedi...
    Sort of a sticking point though; most of the sessions are going to deal with Force-y stuff; Morality, the path of the Jedi, etc. I will definitely include non-Jedi stuff, especially if you definitely want to avoid the Force going forward, but forewarned is forearmed.

Ok, so let me explain if my p-key will keep working on my keyboard...

So I've played three characters with this system: A Twi'lik spy who didn't even get to doing a single roll before the GM stopped posting: Vox Nor'zu in your Imperial game, and now Seth. Also: I played a Sith in a Saga game before all this so I was wanting to not be a Jedi/Force User and try some else. And with all the X-wing miniature game I've been playing, I'm really into flying games so I wanted to be a pilot. However, I'm not saying I don't want Seth to become a Jedi, but in character, Seth doesn't want to be a Jedi because he doesn't trust himself with the Force (he's cool with Luke and the Jedi), but as a guy who has pirate, smuggler, murder, criminal, and whatever else the Black Sun wanted from him on his résumé, he's scared of what he would do when given that kind of power. Especially when there is this talk about the Dark Side and how it turns good people bad and how it's always pulling at the Jedi. So he's trying not to go that route and lose this family he's gained.[/quote]
    > Make a necklace with the crystal.
    Tell me more! To what end? What's the goal? What sort of development are you working towards?

For now, Seth isn't sure what to do with it (neither am I) so he's going to keep it. Who knows, maybe it will do something awesome! Or just look nice on his neck.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Weekend at Rayner's:
    1. Keep an eye on Duxa for Master Igjjel
    2. Dig out the parts from his old speeder bike for lightsaber construction
    3. Find more whisky
    4. Sit in hangar and shoo younger trainees away from kinrath
    5. Do a full inspection of the Grim Disappointment post-repairs, probably with Kik'tl
    6. Meditate on the natur -- haha just kidding, find more whisky

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    > Temple Guard Lightsaber Pike
    I don't have all the books, details?
    Two-handed, 6 dmg lightsaber with two blades/crystal slots. Breach 1, Defensive 1, Linked 1, Stun 4, Sunder, Unwieldy 3.

So it sounds like Kik would have one side be his training crystal and one be the new lethal one.
    > I can't quite just roll until I hit double triumphs, but I can come pretty close.
    Pretty sure you can, just have to pay for it. :)
    Well, it technically costs 10 credits a try, but the survival roll also includes scavenging for parts. So technically I'm not sure there's anything to afford. :P
    > Duxa: Meditate on the crystal until it turns into an Amulet of Iron Fists
    I think I want to treat it like you're building a lightsaber: Mechanics or Lore to build a "hilt", with two slots by default and +1 / Triumph. Needs to have a crystal slotted in it. Can mod both though. I could be wrong here, but it seems like you should be able to mod that and stuff to keep parity with weapon users.
    That's cool. Is there any chance I could get some special dispensation here and use Survival like I'm building a fist weapon out of jawbones? Since that's kind of what I'm doing, after all. And I don't suck out loud at that.

Otherwise I'm totally cool making it a lightsaber equivalent.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    I just got a terrible/awesome idea for how Duxa spends her week.

An aging apex beast seeks out one last fight, with it and Duxa fighting to a standstill before the beast collapses due to a heart attack or something. Duxa turns it into bone knuckles and/or an amulet/headress out of respect.

Or some variation on the above where they actually work together. That could be cool, too.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DeamonIzualDeamonIzual Registered User regular
    I think BR-88's priorities are as follows:

1. Have Kik'tl install the cybernetic brain implant
    2. Hit the books/space internet and do some studying
    3. Take a shot at implanting the force crystal in its arm (that can't go wrong at all I'm sure)

Also, BR-88 would willingly spar with Duxa if asked. Pretty sure that would be an interesting bout.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Duxa's totally into that.

Edit: I think with their respective soaks, they could probably just go flat out at each other for hours without anyone being significantly hurt.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    (( Thread is temporarily going into "In Character" mode. Please put "Out of Character" conversation behind spoiler tags. ))

On the afternoon of the fourth standard day after the Ald, BR-88, Duxa, Kik'tl, Rayner, and Seth returned from Dantooine, a transport arrived carrying a curious collection of passengers. Half were existing students returning to the Academy after holidays or other excursions. They found the Academy much as they had left it; save, of course, for large arachnoids that had recently made their home in the Massassi temple.

Others were new students, fresh-faced youths and adults alike - even an elderly tibanna gas prospector. Luke was there to greet them, as was Iggjel, Kidi, and a few of the older students. After introductions, Iggjel led the group on a tour of the facility, eventually winding back around to the temple and a special introductory session on how not to avoid being attacked by the kinrath.

(( Please indicate if you wish to be a mentor to the new students; apologies for making this a late edition, it's a recent idea. ))

Master Luke stayed behind, however, waiting for the final passenger to exit the transport: a hunched-over alien standing barely two feet tall, wearing simple grey robes and leaning heavily on a gnarled walking stick. They exchanged pleasantries, then walked slowly towards the temple, their quiet discussion lost on the wind.

(( Other events can happen between the arrival of the transport and this next bit; I just wanted to issue it all at once. ))

A few days later, the rising knights were called before Master Skywalker, Kidi, and Iggjel. The arguing voices of Kidi and Iggjel could be heard from down the hall as they approached the meeting.

"...reckless, what possibly be gained?" The cerean asked, her voice overwhelmed with exasperation.

"Knowledge!" Boomed Iggjel. "What is the point of this Academy if not to further our understanding of the galaxy? What is that saying Master Skywalker's old master was so fond of? 'A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defefnse, NEVER for attack."

"And who said anything about attacking?" Kidi shot back. "They asked for our help, Iggjel, why are you so reticent to provide it?"

Iggjel gave an impressive huff from both sides of his curved head. "Let the New Republic send one of its warships, and deal with its own internal matter. They don't need us for this. Anyone can do a flyby of an outer rim planet. Only those who have studied are fit to discuss the Force."

The group walked in to see Master Luke behind his desk, with a sketch of a smile on his face. "Ah, you've joined us," he said, interrupting the other two and rising to greet you. "As I'm sure you've heard, there's a bit of a disagreement going on. And you seem to be the focus of it."

Kidi turned towards the party. "Well, they acquitted themselves admirably on Dantooine, did they not?"

"Giving the New Republic a new weapon is hardly admirable," grunted Iggjel.

"Saving people is," she retorted. "And it's entirely possible that the people of Sernpidal need their help."

"Or it's a dead holonet node, or a broken subspace relay, or an errant planetoid, or one of nearly infinite other things that could just as easily be handled by any other sentient in the galaxy." Iggjel turned his attention to the group as well. "But these Jedi were explicitly requested for the cultural exchange. An unprecedented chance to get a look at the inner workings of another academy! How can you eschew that opportunity? More than that, it is a chance for us to help mediate the rising tensions between the New Republic and the First Order! What higher calling is there than peace?"

Luke held up a hand, and the other two fell silent. "We've received two requests: one, for aid, from the New Republic. Communications from the planet Sernpidal have ceased. It's a planet in the far outer rim, almost to the point of being in wild space. The New Republic could send a ship to investigate, but most of the cruisers are already dedicated to hunting pirates and other criminals, and are stretched to the breaking point. They would rather we send a small group to investigate, and fix whatever problems they find.

"On the other hand, the First Order has requested a cultural exchange from a select group of students - namely, the same ones that met Antar Ren on Giaca. You would be granted access to their training facilities, and a small group would come here to train at our Academy. Supreme Commander Snoke hopes that this will be the first step in addressing some of the animosity between the First Order and the New Republic, and lead to a greater understanding between the two governments."

Luke walked out from behind his desk. "We won't order you to do either task, but I like you to consider accepting one or the other. Do you have any questions?"

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Seth scratches his head. "A whole planet going dark sounds serious. And... we aren't the best folks to do 'cultural exchanges'..."

• Options
    Oh god. Sernpidal. As the party Chewbacca, this is worrisome.

"I think we are just fine at cultural exchange, Seth," Duxa pipes up, stepping forward to put a hand maybe too firmly on the pilot's shoulder. "Besides, I'd love a chance for some new sparring partners," she says, proudly displaying the bruises from her bout with BR-88 earlier this morning.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    "Why is Snoke treating the Academy as an extension of the Republic government?"
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    > Temple Guard Lightsaber Pike
    I don't have all the books, details?
    Two-handed, 6 dmg lightsaber with two blades/crystal slots. Breach 1, Defensive 1, Linked 1, Stun 4, Sunder, Unwieldy 3.

So it sounds like Kik would have one side be his training crystal and one be the new lethal one.

..........................yea, that's totally what I meant to do. Not two totally separate things in my head that I didn't even consider how they would work together in the least bit. Nope nope nope.

That's actually pretty much perfect. Kik'tl will typically be using the guard saber with only a single blade ignited in a similar style of a long handled sword. It's not really clear how long the actual handle is meant to be, pike implies longer than I'm thinking of, I'm thinking of something like 1.5 to 2 times your average saber hilt with perhaps room for three or four "hands" on it. The only issue is it slightly complicates the "linked" attack since it will be different from the primary but that doesn't strike me as that big a deal all in all.

Other OOC stuff:
    How long / how difficult is robot brain surgery?

@DeamonIzual I am curious how you pitch the request to Kik'tl because the question "Uh, why do you want to replace your brain?" pretty much instantly springs to mind.

Also, Jdarksun has pitted us a choice of ignoring a planet in trouble against new and different knowledge. Cleverly attempting to trap Kik'tl.

Incidentally Kik'tl is currently at 90 morality because wow, do those dice love me.

Re: Mentoring. This is something Kik'tl would want Luke's opinion on. Kik's understanding of the Force feels very incomplete to them but DA gets that isn't really an accurate assessment. They would very much volunteer in the tech classes where they unconsciously use the Force like crazy and assist in dueling training.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Unless this invitation is limited time only, Sernpidal seems like the obvious call. Moons notwithstanding.

Besides, it's not like we haven't disappointed Iggjel before.

• Options
    "Because that's how they see us," Luke sighed. "We're in New Republic space training New Republic citizens." The Jedi Master scrubbed a hand through his beard. "And, for better or worse, I was a hero of the rebellion that allowed the New Republic to rise to power. I've done my best to distance myself from political affiliations, but that can be tough to do when the destruction of the first Death Star is still within living memory."

• Options
    @DevoutlyApathetic It's less of a brain transplant and more like adding extra RAM and a Wi-Fi card into BR-88. So it would be asking Kik'tl to help install the upgrades as a trusted and skilled mechanic. Also if asked why it needed this upgrade, there has been an increased demand in its processing requirements lately and these upgrades should facilitate a deeper understanding of the training its currently receiving.

"Query, has the First Order provided background information on the students it wishes to send to this academy."

• Options
    edited April 2016
    "Ah, that is complicated. So by taking in non-Republic citizens we help to establish that we are not an extension of the New Republic government....though doing so as part of an effort to ease relations with the First Order appears to also reinforce the idea that we are a governmental actor. That is vexing." Kik'tl frowns and appears lost in thought for a time. "Snoke apparently did send Antar Ren to specifically ensure we acquired the Holocron in spite of possible objections of other organizations in the First Order, objections that actually took the form of some sort of assassin. That could be a sign of Snoke's sincerity in this matter."
    @ DevoutlyApathetic It's less of a brain transplant and more like adding extra RAM and a Wi-Fi card into BR-88. So it would be asking Kik'tl to help install the upgrades as a trusted and skilled mechanic. Also if asked why it needed this upgrade, there has been an increased demand in its processing requirements lately and these upgrades should facilitate a deeper understanding of the training its currently receiving.
    Yup, that all sounds completely reasonable. I kinda doubt we even get to the why question if you lead with it just being an improvement to your processing ability. Kik'tl would be happy to help.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    I'm not sure Duxa is a Republic citizen, actually.

• Options
    Seth might be wanted by the Republic and First Order for minor things.

• Options
    "If he wants us to come visit, he'll probably understand if we go help this Serendipity place first."

• Options
    "How long a trip is it to Sernpidal and back? How long was the exchange to run for?

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Rayner has been quiet. "With all due respect, Master Iggjel, I was a scout. You know we're a good choice for that sort of thing. Not the best choice, but a good one."

After a brief pause to make sure everyone heard him, he continues. "But I recognize that the opportunity to learn something about the First Order's training methods is a unique opportunity. Captain Folstock of the Cutlass contacted me. Fleet scuttlebutt already has it we're coming. So there's some expectation there."

He shifts his weight uncertainly. "I also realize that I'm going to be biased in my decision-making here, so I'm going to remain neutral on this."

Rayner glances over at the other rising knights and offers an apologetic half shrug.
    From an OOC perspective, Rayner will almost certainly have corrup -- aided any of the younger trainees who sought him out. He's not a bad person and he's trying really, really hard to be a good Jedi.

Also Rayner is specifically and explicitly a Corellian citizen. Whether that means he's also a Republic citizen I don't know.

Ardent on
  • Options
    I imagine a scene of Duxa leading a string of impressionable young students in punching drills as Iggjel looks on and sheds a tear.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Ald is remaining curiously silent. Occasionally glaring at Iggjel when he raises his voice, but otherwise he seems happy to follow his seniors.
    I don't terribly have a preference where we end up going, but I do like the idea of going to the crisis-y one first and then the Sith academy second.

Oats on
  • Options
    My invitation email says 9:00 am. I approve of this new schedule.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Luke addressed the questions in turn.

"BR-88: No, they were waiting to see if we were even interested in the exchange before sending more information. If you'd like, I can request it." The Jedi Master shrugged at Duxa's mention of investigating Sernpidal first. "Maybe; Snoke might also take it as a slight. Everything from him seems oddly formal, as if he's following some sort of tradition or protocol. It's nothing I'm familiar with though.

He addressed Kik'tl next. "You should be able to get to Sernpidal within a couple weeks; shorter, if you take a good astromech along with you. Getting to the First Order's territory from Wild Space would probably run about four weeks. They've offered you to stay for three months, but of course you'd be free to leave sooner if you didn't feel like it was working out.

"I'm not sure any of us are unbiased about the situation, Rayner. Hence opening it up to discussion."

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    (( OK, dropping IC since we're about to start the session anyhow. ))

Geth, roll 1d100 for Obligation - BR-88, that's your Bounty. ST-2, everyone else's ST-1.
    Geth, roll 1d100 for Morality - I think that's Kik'tl with an 84. Anybody else have a Morality closer to 82 than that?

Obligation:
    1d100 15 [1d100=15]
    Morality:
    1d100 82 [1d100=82]

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Rayner's morality is actually 80.

• Options
    ...and Kik'tl's is up to 90 after last session. So you win a prize Ardent!

• Options
  • Options
    Tonight has just been attack of the angry space gypsy woman.

• Options
    Rayner records 2 conflict for this session for avoiding Cruelty and not blowing up those pirates.

May be more if all of this thievery ends up permanent.

• Options
    Probably 2 conflict for getting beaten down like the chump he is for Ald.

• Options
    Kik'tl is going to mark 1 for not rushing off in search of knowledge just because a single planet disappeared. Also 2 for mitigated theft since he is "scrounging" so very hard through the Hutt frigate / Death Murder Bots.

• Options
    I think Duxa probably gets one for seeing Ald get just completely housed, since she's not really used to seeing the actual outcomes of real attempts at violence, especially on her teammates.

I think she also gets 1 for being arrogant enough to assume the same will never happen to her, since she's so good at this.

• Options
    Think BR-88 is taking one for going right to lethal mode out of anger (?) and one for not fulfilling its function as a bodyguard for the group.

• Options
    What was the bookkeeping we wanted to do here?

See if I can Shake It Off™ either of my critical injuries?

What do four almost-knights, a pilot in a Y-wing, and a robot do with a crappy frigate with concussion missile launchers?

Rolls to see if Kik can salvage murderbots into something armour-y maybe?

Also, Ald would like to take the blade that almost killed him.

Also also, I'm like 98.9% sure Mike said 15xp for last session again.

• Options
    Oats wrote: »

"Oh. I just tossed them all into a pile to disarm the droids. I do not know if we can still determine which blade came from which droid."

Kik'tl looks at pile.

"Though this one is completely covered in blood."
    Actually, I wonder if vibroblades would be mostly self cleaning. The vibratory action would probably encourage any fluids to go flying off."

• Options
    I'm guessing the force of some such cinematic bullshi coolness could assist with finding it.

I think the blade that almost killed Ald is going to be worked into the hilt for his sabre.

• Options
    Just so it's around to actually kill him the next time.

• Options
    It's the one that tries to stab him again, I guarantee it.

• Options
    I think we also needed to narrate the...conversation we want to have with the former captain of the frigate.

BR-88 Is also interested in one of those shields the droids were using.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    What was the bookkeeping we wanted to do here?

See if I can Shake It Off™ either of my critical injuries?

What do four almost-knights, a pilot in a Y-wing, and a robot do with a crappy frigate with concussion missile launchers?

Rolls to see if Kik can salvage murderbots into something armour-y maybe?

Also also, I'm like 98.9% sure Mike said 15xp for last session again.

To go back to this with a sorta serious answer:

The first bookkeeping thing was rolls for scrounging parts and building lightsaber handles and/or amulet of fists or whatever that happened before this session.

The new bookkeeping thing was what the hell we do with the freighter, the asteroid and what not.

What exactly Kik is going to be able to salvage from murder bots is definitely an open question we should figure out. While we're doing that let's not ignore the fact that their blades stood up to a lightsaber attack. Some funky metallurgy is at play.

I also remember the 15 xp comment.

Grunt's Ghosts Don't remember exactly where you left, I think it was after a Murder-Bot shived Ald but before we revived him so he could use the "Off" switch on the Captain's data pad. It was definitely after we collected the unconscious Captain and casually strolled on to his ship. On our way to the bridge we discovered most of the crew behind a make shift barricade pretty worried about the approach of the three dudes (non-gender specific) who beat up their murder bots and especially worried that three of the murder bots were now taking our orders. A brief discussion lead to them enjoying the marvelous comforts of the frigate's escape pod facilities.

The blast boats picked them up and then buggered off to "The Platform".

We started to see what could possibly be looted from the ship and started considering just taking the ship and left off undecided.

Also we need to move an asteroid.
    What do four almost-knights...

So you're saying we're Night-Lites?

Edit: Notifications are busted for folks with two spaces apparently. It wants to insert a ; before his name but inside the " "'s.

DevoutlyApathetic on