As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [nfl] Was Who We Thought They Were

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I agree but Rob Ryan has been run out of town the last two stops he's made. When Buffalo eats shit this year I'm looking forward to having both him and the other one gone for a while.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    What is sexy may never die!

...that's the quote, isn't it?

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    The only thing I know about Katie Nolan is that she has turned Human Flop Sweat Rob Ryan into a meme and I'll hate her forever for it. He's been a joke since he was in Cleveland.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    You could use a chill pill, Clint

I'm chill. I'm completely chill.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    NFL presser tomorrow at 2:45 in Orlando to announce they're the new home for the Pro Bowl

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    ESPN has lost 10 million subscribers since 2013.

According to 2016 Nielsen data ESPN lost over 1.5 million subscribers from February to the end of May this year. That drops ESPN to 89,465,000 subscriber homes, a precipitous decline from the network's total number of 2013 subscribers which was over 99 million. Based on these numbers over the past four months ESPN lost an average of 10,400 subscribers a day.

haha get fucked

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    NFL presser tomorrow at 2:45 in Orlando to announce they're the new home for the Pro Bowl

I bet the press conference is attended by more people than the game.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    subscribers? I thought espn was one of those basic inclusions in cable packages

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    j
    Jars wrote: »

Being on cable means they have subscribers. ESPN is also one of the more expensive single pieces of a given cable bill, often included as part of the "anything beyond your local channels."

can you feel the struggle within?
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    ESPN is one of the main reasons people even still have cable.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    from what I understand you can't cut out specific channels though, you either have the whole package which would include ESPN, or you don't

• PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    I only have cable for live sports.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I only have cable for live sports.

I agreed but that's a lie. I only have cable because it was included with my apartment. But that's the only thing I would think about having.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I canceled cable and got a digital antenna, which allows me to catch the live sports that are on cbs/fox etc.

So I miss Monday night football and Thursday night football (ha), but can watch all of the other games. I miss baseball, but I can get mlb.tv if i really wanted and it would be cheaper than monthly cable to get all of just my team's games.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Yeah I'd miss baseball and hockey, so that does it in for me.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It might be worth it to look into cell providers here too.

I know Verizon has NFL coverage included in their stuff, and T-Mobile gives out free subs to MLB.TV; I'm not sure about NBA and NHL, as well as college sports and everything else. Obviously it's a bad idea to have an account with all the carriers, but you might be able to sub one for Cable if that's the sport(s) you follow.

sig.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Doesn't sling have sports packages?

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

More cable providers are offering a "skinny" base cable with a range of packages and cable providers are more prone now than before to put ESPN because ESPN keeps getting more expensive on account of how much ESPN had to pay leagues to air their games.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    from what I understand you can't cut out specific channels though, you either have the whole package which would include ESPN, or you don't

No, but you can cut the package that has ESPN and the 30 other channels you're most likely to want, and it's far and away the most expensive.

You can cut away packages, and cable companies will offer you the "8 channels you'd get over the air" as a bare bones.

Most people who have cable or satellite are paying for ESPN, and those are the subscriber numbers being referenced. ESPN is losing them because people are cutting the cord and using antennas + Netflix/et al and those people don't pay ESPN shit.

ESPN made a lot of big bets over the last ten years that their assumptions about subscriber growth were correct and they'd sail past 100M and be able to easily afford the billions they pay to MLB and the NFL. Decreasing subscriber numbers is terrifying for them.

They're paying way more for NBA than they are MLB too.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Happened and it's back to being AFC vs NFC. Whatever, it's the Pro Bowl

jesus christ

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Six wrote: »

No, but you can cut the package that has ESPN and the 30 other channels you're most likely to want, and it's far and away the most expensive.

You can cut away packages, and cable companies will offer you the "8 channels you'd get over the air" as a bare bones.

Most people who have cable or satellite are paying for ESPN, and those are the subscriber numbers being referenced. ESPN is losing them because people are cutting the cord and using antennas + Netflix/et al and those people don't pay ESPN shit.

ESPN made a lot of big bets over the last ten years that their assumptions about subscriber growth were correct and they'd sail past 100M and be able to easily afford the billions they pay to MLB and the NFL. Decreasing subscriber numbers is terrifying for them.

Which they could fix very easily* by allowing ME to give them $5 a month instead of giving my cable company $60 a month and pass ESPN $4.

*For values of 'easily' that include getting out of whatever fuck awful contract they have with the cable providers.

JihadJesus on
    edited June 2016
    I wonder if those medical records will include psychological cases

that would lead to some polarizing stuff

Xehalus on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm sitting with a coworker taking about football and she just told me she firmly believe the Super Bowl champion is determined ahead of time and its all rigged by the NFL and that's why her Detroit Lions never win

They have to cling on to something.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting with a coworker taking about football and she just told me she firmly believe the Super Bowl champion is determined ahead of time and its all rigged by the NFL and that's why her Detroit Lions never win

I personally subscribe to mummy rays or mole people as other valid conspiracies holding the Lions back

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Everyone knows it's chemtrails

edited June 2016
    the NFL winner is decided by holding calls or the hold on we want to push merch sales for Denver because of all the people who moved there calls

Xehalus on
    he heard Houshmandzadeh was coming out of retirement

edited June 2016
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

Which they could fix very easily* by allowing ME to give them $5 a month instead of giving my cable company $60 a month and pass ESPN $4.

*For values of 'easily' that include getting out of whatever fuck awful contract they have with the cable providers.

A la cart cable pricing has been a big issue for a while. ESPN is one of the big dogs in the room, along with HBO and a few others. ESPN is getting more money now than they probably would otherwise. HBO wasn't so they created HBO Now. ESPN could do it, and they probably will eventually, but they almost certainly preferred having everyone basically pay them for having cable up until now whether they wanted ESPN or not.

This gets us into really interesting discussions about the value of cable (and underlying infrastructure), the ballooning value of live sports (basically the prime reason a lot of people still pay for cable and why a lot of teams who can (read: MLB) are just buying/building their own networks), and what ESPN and other networks' role and eventual value will be. It's stupid that most people can't buy Sunday Ticket by itself or get blacked out of MLB.tv in their home city, much like it was stupid that many people would get blacked out of seeing their own team over the air for a long time (even though it still happens, though it's far more rare these days). Who can see what, how, when, and how much they'll pay and to who are really interesting questions these days.

I'm not an expert here but find a lot of the conversation really interesting as I pay for MLB.tv and have bought a DirecTV-less Sunday ticket (through DirecTV) in the past. I don't pay for cable but do value live sports highly, so I end up trying to follow a lot of what goes on in this space.

Six on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fSOp1yBkg

Props to the reporters there for not letting him get away with that bullshit excuse.

he was defending his sister who was being beaten repeatedly

it's a horrible situation but I think his intentions were earnest

it wasn't an innocent person

• Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular

I wish I still thought highly enough of my Lions to think this.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So Cam Newton has a show on Nick where he "helps kids with their dreams." I have no idea what that means, but it's Cam and kids and he's helping them, so that's awesome.

Fawst wrote: »
    So Cam Newton has a show on Nick where he "helps kids with their dreams." I have no idea what that means, but it's Cam and kids and he's helping them, so that's awesome.

I've heard nothing about this. I guess ESPN is too busy covering committed crimes and such to dedicate time to something positive.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I knew about it quite awhile ago but I think that's probably just because I'm a Panthers fan. This is probably the first time it's come up on ESPN and that is a shame.

This discussion has been closed.