As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Indie Game Thread where we discuss genre name semantics

19495969798100»

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Manatopitmu

Perfect!

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Manatopitmu

Perfect!

Oh nice! I'm gonna name a planet that in No Man's Sky.

Who am I kidding by the time I get around to playing NMS the whole fucking universe will be named and cataloged.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Well it doesn't belong to Mankind. That's why we have puny ships. Those aliens and the fuckoff space robot police? I dunno, sky might be theirs. Probably why they try to murder you for messing it up too much.

steam_sig.png
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Not All Skies

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Not All Skies

Nice Skies

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    It's just an annoying thing that comes from us having ended up with "man" also commonly meaning "person" for reasons that I would assume boil down to the past being even more patriarchal.

It's actually more of the opposite! "Man" used to refer more generically to all of human kind ("woman" comes from a term that meant "female human") and then took on the connotation of males specifically later. Of course the underlying reason for that is probably still patriarchal.

what was the equivalent to "woman" that meant a male human?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Skies of Arcadia

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    It's just an annoying thing that comes from us having ended up with "man" also commonly meaning "person" for reasons that I would assume boil down to the past being even more patriarchal.

It's actually more of the opposite! "Man" used to refer more generically to all of human kind ("woman" comes from a term that meant "female human") and then took on the connotation of males specifically later. Of course the underlying reason for that is probably still patriarchal.

I hope it's "moman".

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    A Sky Full of Stars
    Kick a Hole in the Sky
    Skywalker

Real answers that aren't song titles/lyrics:
    Leave No World Unturned
    Seek out the Stars
    Limitless Frontier

Dubh wrote: »
    wait, people were expecting to-scale planets? did they also expect scale versions of galaxies and solar systems?

jesus

well you have a faster-than-light spaceship, so realistic astronomical scale shouldn't really be an issue in terms of traveling tedium or whatever. Making it smaller than realistic scales is either an aesthetic choice or a limitation of the hardware, and that doesn't seem particularly easy to predict to me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

werman and wyfman are the words, IIRC

with the latter being responsible for the funky pronounciation of "women"

and the former being why I'm unreasonably annoyed at Sonic the Hedgehog turning part-wolf and being called a "werehog"

were is the part that means that they're human, dammit

huh is that also the root of "wife"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    This Ain't Just One Person's Sky You Stupid Motherfucker

This sky belongs to the Proletariet
    "Eat the Rich" Sky

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    huh is that also the root of "wife"

I think it might also just be wer and wyf, but I imagine that it's hard enough to look up Old English etymologies while you're actually in an Anglophone country.

Google says yes, though.
    Old English wīf ‘woman’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch wijf and German Weib .

I also thought it might have something to do with "waif", but it turns out that word means something completely different from what I thought it did and is also entirely unrelated?

This discussion has been closed.