Options

What. IS. FIREWATCH?!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Okay this video is incredible

At one point the team reveals to each other stuff they didn't know was in the game

There is an awful Wyoming hat Sean Vanaman used to have, and during the course of this video they tell him it's in the game and where it is and he loses his mind

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    just an endless, parade of inappropriately, placed commas and lots of misspeled words

It's pretty funny that you misspelled the word misspelled

I am glad you thought it was funny because it was the joke

As well as the two inappropriately placed commas

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I didn't notice that one

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Really really good article on the nature of the decisions in the game, and it touches the reasons I feel like they're ultimately vital to the experience

Spoilers within

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/12/10966494/firewatch-agency-campo-santo

Maddoc on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So I'm not sure if it got mentioned yet, but
    what the heck was that big circular design on the ground that you pass shortly after getting the new radio? It looked awfully culty. It was so weird that the game just ignored it, since it looked like such a prominent landmark.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So I'm not sure if it got mentioned yet, but
    what the heck was that big circular design on the ground that you pass shortly after getting the new radio? It looked awfully culty. It was so weird that the game just ignored it, since it looked like such a prominent landmark.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the game also doesn't ignore it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    There do seem to be some things that you stop being able to call about once things start getting tense, probably because it might be undercutting the mood for everyone to start cheerfully talking about the park's history

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

Mine absolutely did.

I spent a decent amount of time wandering around the area waiting for a prompt or a sign or a comment from Delilah or something and there was nothing.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

Mine absolutely did.

I spent a decent amount of time wandering around the area waiting for a prompt or a sign or a comment from Delilah or something and there was nothing.

You should have been able to call it in as an environmental thing, with the icon showing up on the right side of the screen.

If not, maybe it's what Lalabox mentioned.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    Oh that's just what I need, a videogame about living in Wyoming

Aw c'mon buddy, it ain't so bad!

It's pretty out here. And... Uh... There's lots of really beautiful and pristine nature and stuff. And... Good sunsets/sunrises!

Low crime rates.

Uh...

Shit, gimme a minute and I'll think of some more stuff.

@Brainleech help me out here

A lack of people overall
    Sadly if you want things you might have to drive to Denver or FT Collins
    You will go crazy from Cabin Fever if you don't have hobbies
    Drinking is a popular hobby for those left behind

Meth

You can do meth

Does this Wyoming simulator have meth use

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Is there a meth lab easter egg?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Oh that's just what I need, a videogame about living in Wyoming

Aw c'mon buddy, it ain't so bad!

It's pretty out here. And... Uh... There's lots of really beautiful and pristine nature and stuff. And... Good sunsets/sunrises!

Low crime rates.

Uh...

Shit, gimme a minute and I'll think of some more stuff.

@Brainleech help me out here

A lack of people overall
    Sadly if you want things you might have to drive to Denver or FT Collins
    You will go crazy from Cabin Fever if you don't have hobbies
    Drinking is a popular hobby for those left behind

Meth

You can do meth

Does this Wyoming simulator have meth use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Bp-68W-2c

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I haven't bought or played this yet

But I did purchase the PS4 theme and I heartily recommend others do as well because it is an amazing theme.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I now know what Firewatch is.

Bought it last night, started at 11 pm, finished at 3 am. Once it started, I had to know.

I am exactly the type of person who this game was made for, because
    all the atmosphere and music and panic just made me more and more tense until I was sure there was actually going to be a jump scare and/or giant reveal of aliens or something in the cave. Logically, I knew there probably wouldn't be, but I just got so caught up in the plot that I was freaking myself out. I ended up jogging for 90% of the game because I was so tense that I just wanted the jump scare to happen and get it over with, and it never did. The worst part was tracking the electronic signals through the smoky haze at night. I was sure the damned alarm was a bomb or something.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Just finished this game.

I, um, hmmm, really don't think I liked it?
    I feel bad for saying this but none of the stuff with Brian or Ned got to me. As soon as Ned and Brian were mentioned to have "disappeared" I knew that at least one of them were dead and the fact that so much time got spent on Brian, finding his little fort, I knew it would be him.

I can totally see why the scene of finding him would be gut wrenching for certain people. For me it was just "Oh, there's Brian, guess this is where he died." The long walk back at the end just gave me time to think "I probably should be feeling something here. Maybe they'll be something back at Delilah's look out that will make me feel something." Then the whole conversation with her is nice but I kept feeling like I was missing something. I got on the helicopter, credits rolled and I just ended up feeling disappointed.

That's the deal with these more emotional exploration games, the enjoyment of the player is all down to how well they connect with the game at the end of the day. It's the same reason why I love Gone Home with all my heart and other people have complaints about it that read similar to mine about this game.

I wanted to connect with this game, I like the setting and the characters, just at the end of the day I didn't.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Just finished this game.

I feel bad for saying this but none of the stuff with Brian or Ned got to me. As soon as Ned and Brian were mentioned to have "disappeared" I knew that at least one of them were dead and the fact that so much time got spent on Brian, finding his little fort, I knew it would be him.

I can totally see why the scene of finding him would be gut wrenching for certain people. For me it was just "Oh, there's Brian, guess this is where he died." The long walk back at the end just gave me time to think "I probably should be feeling something here. Maybe they'll be something back at Delilah's look out that will make me feel something." Then the whole conversation with her is nice but I kept feeling like I was missing something. I got on the helicopter, credits rolled and I just ended up feeling disappointed.

That's the deal with these more emotional exploration games, the enjoyment of the player is all down to how well they connect with the game at the end of the day. It's the same reason why I love Gone Home with all my heart and other people have complaints about it that read similar to mine about this game.

I wanted to connect with this game, I like the setting and the characters, just at the end of the day I didn't.
    I actually largely agree about the Ned and Brian stuff, but I liked Henry and Delilah enough that it carried the rest of the game for me. The over arching narrative was kind of just window dressing for those two characters and their interactions.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Just finished this game.

I actually largely agree about the Ned and Brian stuff, but I liked Henry and Delilah enough that it carried the rest of the game for me. The over arching narrative was kind of just window dressing for those two characters and their interactions.
    I like Henry and Delilah and if I'm involved with any GOTY stuff I could see one of them being best new character. The emotional ending of their story, the conversation on the radio at her lookout just didn't do anything for me.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    i enjoyed this but i think in some ways i don't enjoy it as much as i'm looking forward to what it further inspires

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    This game didn't hit me as hard as Gone Home but I'm okay with that because it was really going for something different and Henry and Delilah are both extraordinarily well written.

The biggest gut punch for me was in the end
    when you see the 3 or 4 photos Brian took

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    This game didn't hit me as hard as Gone Home but I'm okay with that because it was really going for something different and Henry and Delilah are both extraordinarily well written.

The biggest gut punch for me was in the end
    when you see the 3 or 4 photos Brian took
    What makes it so effective is that they don't let you off the hook to just write Ned off as a total piece of shit

He fucked up, he panicked, and now he's in too deep and is too afraid to face the music

It's cowardly and shameful, but it's very human

Ned is basically who Henry could end up being if Henry had, uh, any skills

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Here are my photos, which I ordered without a moment's hesitation

Full game
    I didn't fully put together the deal with the camera until I saw Brian's hideout again and remembered the dinosaur toy

Seeing his photos in the credits kind of gutted me
    Here's the pictures I took.

It's been real cool seeing the same couple of shots that damn near everybody seems to take. Really speaks to the tremendous job they did with the art design when there are so many points that elicit such a universal reaction. And equally amazing has been the fact that the more varied and unique shots look just as good. Just fantastic visuals all around.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »

Full game
    I didn't fully put together the deal with the camera until I saw Brian's hideout again and remembered the dinosaur toy

It's been real cool seeing the same couple of shots that damn near everybody seems to take. Really speaks to the tremendous job they did with the art design when there are so many points that elicit such a universal reaction. And equally amazing has been the fact that the more varied and unique shots look just as good. Just fantastic visuals all around.

The one thing I did this time was to make sure to NOT take pictures when they told me to
    I don't need to own a 4x6 of a child's rotting corpse, thank you very much

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Veagle wrote: »

Full game

Here are mine, of which you may recognize a few :P . And yeah, it's a really elegant tribute to the power of design that you can get a ton of people to voluntarily do a very similar thing through visual and narrative cues without ever having to come out and say "take a picture of that big rock over yonder."

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    @Mr. G I did a double-take when looking at your photos, because a few of them were SO similar to mine.

Thought I was somehow looking my own reel for a second.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    my pix: https://firewatch.camera/BlueAlcatrazShale/

#11 is my personal favorite. I was under the impression that the aspect ratio was going to match the camera vignette, kinda annoyed that things I tried to frame out of shots made it into them anyway

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Here are my photos, I'm pretty happy with them.

4, 5, 7, 13 and the final one are my favorites.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I wish the game had just given the camera from the get-go and said "Hey, this will in no way impact the story"

The game mentioning that you might want to take pictures of a certain scene and the limit on the number you can take (which makes sense!) really kept me from taking many pictures. Kind of a similar effect of games training you to "save" your healing items.

It's still a great feature, just one that I was afraid to use.

• Options

And now I'm curious how the game went for you, cause it seems like you found Wapiti Station waaaaay before you do in the story

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

And now I'm curious how the game went for you, cause it seems like you found Wapiti Station waaaaay before you do in the story
    I found it and reported it to Delilah and she basically went "Wait what, that's super goddamn weird. Let me ask around." and then when It came up in the story It was referred to as that fence I found weeks ago

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I wish the game had just given the camera from the get-go and said "Hey, this will in no way impact the story"

The game mentioning that you might want to take pictures of a certain scene and the limit on the number you can take (which makes sense!) really kept me from taking many pictures. Kind of a similar effect of games training you to "save" your healing items.

It's still a great feature, just one that I was afraid to use.

I completely forgot I even had a camera, plus all the tension made me not want to take a second to pull it out. I ended up with maybe five pictures.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i only took pictures of
    things that i wanted to preserve as evidence once i went to the police

but that kinda tracks with my general philosophy re: photos

in that i don't give much of a shit about them

• Options
    I feel like a bad person considering it seems like I was one of the only one who took a photo of
    Bryan's body.

IT WAS TASTEFUL!

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I feel like almost every collection I see has had that picture

• Options
    Man, I should have done that.
    You know, since it's actually crime scene evidence.

• Options
    If they ever get the photo stuff up and running with the PS4 version, I'll probably do another play through specifically with "These are photos I want to buy physical copies of" in mind.

Or if I ever just buy the PC version cheap on sale I guess, barring the first option.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
  • Options
    real hard for people to accept that
    delilah's just a fuck-up like you are

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I don't see why people think there's actually some hidden conspiracy that the game's hiding from you. What, are they going to make DLC? A sequel?

The story is laid out for you at the end. That's how conspiracy thrillers (good conspiracy thrillers) work. Henry and Delilah bought into the fantasy because it was a convenient escape for each of them. They both have trust issues, so of course they assume there's some social experiment centered on them.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    real hard for people to accept that
    delilah's just a fuck-up like you are
    I dont know man there are some good points in there

You can totally see the fence from her tower

The firefighters note said a man talked to them despite her telling you she called them

When she calls you to wreck the teens campsite she isnt talking to you, you are hearing her talk to ned. He wrecks it before you can get there

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg