What. IS. FIREWATCH?!

12345679»

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    real hard for people to accept that
    delilah's just a fuck-up like you are
    I dont know man there are some good points in there

You can totally see the fence from her tower

The firefighters note said a man talked to them despite her telling you she called them

When she calls you to wreck the teens campsite she isnt talking to you, you are hearing her talk to ned. He wrecks it before you can get there

nah

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    god, fuck Lost for doing this to how we consume media

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    You dont have to be a dick about it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    it's really hard to explain why that theory is wrong without outright saying "you completely misunderstand the story"

like if all those twists are for real, what is their point

what function do they serve in the narrative, when the narrative already serves a point

e: like it's worth noting that in the IGN spoiler discussion video the devs openly condemn the "there's a twist at the end!" style of thriller writing, calling it a tool to get people talking about THE TWIST! at the watercooler

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Because sometimes its fun to speculate even if its bullshit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    okay but when you make up stuff that's not in the game you have to understand why there would be a certain amount of "...wait, what the fuck are you talking about?" from someone who doesn't know that you're just having a giggle

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I dont know man I posted a link explaining in detail where people are getting this shit, I just thought there was stuff that didnt make sense

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    well if you want me to point at each of the dude's points
    one, it's a very big assumption that delilah can see a thin chain link fence from her tower in the distance (a tower you can barely see, and which is a thick object). the rule of "i can see it so they can see me" does not actually necessarily hold up over long distances.

then he posits that because the science team is not at their research station, they couldn't possibly send a letter to fire crews. which makes the assumption that as soon as researchers leave a research site in territory that is high-risk, they completely ignore everything that's happening and don't check up until they show up later and are surprised when it burns down

"delilah should have been notified" yeah, she should have. that doesn't mean she was, and that also doesn't mean she paid any attention. delilah is not actually that competent. delilah is a lazy selfish alcoholic who shirks responsibility and conflict wherever she can. she is wildly imperfect, and to assume that she is a cunning manipulator instead of just a fuck-up is really reaching. this is also why she brushes things off and is nonchalant, she cannot deal with conflict and tension. as soon as she starts confronting it she FREAKS OUT and suggests insane things like burning down a camp or grand reaching conspiracy theories.

"she doesn't believe other people can listen in on walkie talkies" yeah because she's a 40 year old woman who knows the bare minimum about her job. she's not some tech head. look at her tower, it's filled with books and crossword puzzles. her solution is a new radio because she doesn't understand that you just listen on the frequency instead of bugging the radio.

"the conversation you overheard is delilah talking to ned" completely made up. no validity to that at all. just something they're creating to support their theory. IGN podcast with the devs points out that she's just talking to a dude about something completely unrelated. a key plot point in the story is the obsession that things are All About You when they aren't. this is the introduction of that plot point, and a tool to make you suspicious of delilah.

to reach the point where you are creating this story about what's really going on, is to be henry and delilah. it is to be so in the thick, so obsessed with the idea that you have created that you lose sight of what is actually happening. it is to pull wool over your own eyes for the purpose of believing things are All About You, when the world is much bigger and uncaring. you're on the Firewatch. Your goal is to report fires that will burn and burn, and you will be powerless to do anything about it. that's not just a reason to go outdoors. it's an entire framing device about your own small self.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yeah see if you had just done that in the first place instead of just calling me dumb this would have all worked out

I just thought they were interesting so I shared

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The common problem with intricate fan theories like that is they never stop to ask themselves the most important question you can ask of an element in a narrative: "What does this do for the main message and themes of the story?"

It's super weird to me to see this trend of people wanting a bunch of complexity just for the sake of complexity.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I need an intrepid mod team to take the game assets, and remix them to where you're playing as Delilah. A whole game of puttering around your tower, drinking and yelling at that new guy in the watch tower.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    its funny how many of my friends hate the ending and how I fucking love the ending

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    its funny how many of my friends hate the ending and how I fucking love the ending

I liked it!
    It was a pretty good story about learning to take responsibility in a difficult situation.

The only thing that disappointed me was that I wanted for Henry and Delilah to meet up or to at least know something about where they ended up later because they get you very attached to the characters and you want to know that everything is OK. I understand why they didn't give us that though so it's fine.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Not sure I can buy Henry as a Colorado kid if he doesn't even know basic aspen facts. Pretty sure I had heard that thing about the roots about a half dozen times at least in the time I lived there. (I mean, I was in girl scouts, so I did go camping a bunch but still, buddy, where were you in science class!)

I found it interesting the way that my camera pictures turned out -- I ended up with some similar shots to others here in the thread but I was struck by how much I framed a bunch of my in-game shots the same ways I do with actual single-use cameras (also how I managed to try to focus on getting a cool picture of something and failed on the timing of the shot, which is also something I inevitably do in real life).

(Also, did anyone else see this couch floating off the west side of the map somewhere? I took that screenshot partway through my playthrough and just assumed it was some geometry that hadn't fully loaded for someplace I'd go later, but you never go out that way and I'm pretty sure there's nowhere with a couch at any point in the game. Is it a reference I'm missing?)
    I accidentally wandered under the window in Ned's hideout while making my way down for #teenwatch1989 and heard the tinkling of his windchime and was super confused and spent a bunch of time looking for something in the nearby trees, and I kept doing it anytime I was in the area. So seeing it at the end there, honestly, it probably did make a big difference in how I felt about the ending because it was like an encapsulation of the whole mystery. "Oh, well, there it is, the last thing I was confused about. It was a windchime, I just couldn't see it."

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played this and it was really good

also, weirdly, halfway through it I realized I met the designer a couple years ago

dude plays Netrunner and I talked to him very briefly at a tournament awhile back

and one of the books you find is named after his Netrunner podcast (Terminal 7)

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    411Randle wrote: »
    I now know what Firewatch is.

Bought it last night, started at 11 pm, finished at 3 am. Once it started, I had to know.

I am exactly the type of person who this game was made for, because
    all the atmosphere and music and panic just made me more and more tense until I was sure there was actually going to be a jump scare and/or giant reveal of aliens or something in the cave. Logically, I knew there probably wouldn't be, but I just got so caught up in the plot that I was freaking myself out. I ended up jogging for 90% of the game because I was so tense that I just wanted the jump scare to happen and get it over with, and it never did. The worst part was tracking the electronic signals through the smoky haze at night. I was sure the damned alarm was a bomb or something.
    Oh jeez, that alarm.

I backpeddled so fast when I saw the device and heard the noise until it turned off and Henry exhaled.
    Then I went back and smashed it out of frustration for making me feel cowardly.
    I'm good at roleplaying this character.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bought the PS4 dynamic theme and it's even cooler than it seems, because it doesn't just wipe between color palettes at set times or anything, the background just gradually changes based on time of day. So like I was up at 5am the other day fucking around on my PS4, and the sun started peeking up from over the mountains in the background, slowly changing the color palette.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Is there a way on a PS4 to get just the clean theme showing up when it's idling, like a screensaver?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Patch went up on both platforms today, the PS4 one is meant to significantly improve the performance

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Firewatch is dead to me now

Division beta

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Well, I bought the theme. My wife questioned my sanity, even when I explained "but hun, the background changes depending on what time it is!"

I don't know why she cares, she hated the FFVII one I was using before.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GeaN8bBuAA&list=PLFx-KViPXIkH3x_03fq3oGE7QpCZoP1Lw

if you're looking for a youtube playthrough to have on to kill some time, i thought jesse cox had a pretty good one

a good amount of talking out loud to piece things together, rather than to just talk, as he gets into it

and he has pretty perfect timing on figuring things out, guesses the ending at a very good, "cinematic" point

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I thought his timing was a little too perfect.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    http://www.pippinbarr.com/2016/02/27/bad-hands-in-firewatch/

this is pretty much what i found to be firewatch's greatest flaw

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There is definitely a specific "replace" prompt for certain things, the typewriter included

• Options
    though the region of space you can click on to replace things always seems shockingly small, and some things just can't be replaced - i could never put brian's map back in the drawer for example

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There is definitely a specific "replace" prompt for certain things, the typewriter included

there totally is, i actually managed to get that one

but for the most part henry spent the entirety of my game throwing shit on the ground for no reason

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I've not read the link, but I played this a few hours ago, and two things stuck in my mind afterwards, with regards to Delilah.
    1). The key to the cave. Towards the end, when you find Neds lookout spot, he has some notes on the wall, next to his chair. One of them mentions the keys, specifically, that it's lost, and he doesn't know where it is.

2) who was Delilah talking to when she thought she was off mic ? I kept quiet, and she's clearly talking about you.

I think I'll do a replay in a few weeks, and do things differently. I want to see if Delilah will actually kill you if you blame her for the boy's death. I empathised with her, but I still thought she wasn't going to send the chopper back for me, since she sounded more worried about losing her job than the fact that he was actually dead.

I also want to go to the cave when you get the key. I went back to the tower, as Delilah said she saw someone there, and the day ended as soon as you got there and found it empty. I'm wonder what would happen if you got to the cave a day early, since you should be able to go through, get the spikes and go and find the body.

All in all, a great little game. It really kept me guessing as the days went by.

• Options
    deliliah is not talking about you when she takes a call

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah
    One of the game's greatest strengths is that it plays with the built in notion that everything in a game has to be about you, the protagonist and even if it doesn't appear to be about you at first it is a trick and it will eventually be about you.

She is just having a normal conversation on the other line, there's really nothing suspicious about it. And her not telling Henry who it was or what it was about is perfectly reasonable since she barely actually knows Henry and it was a personal call.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    101 wrote: »
    I don't remember hearing this in the game, but it's on the soundtrack and I really like this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cn03OBEw4M

Details about this song
    you don't hear it, but you can find an old outhouse with a notepad in it where a previous lookout was writing this song
    you can hear this song
    umm, lemme find a map, but if you have the walkman (and axe), you can hack through some brush about ...halfway between the cave and Beartooth Point, i think? definitely south of the big rock field. and there is a hangout spot in a small glade, note from Ron, and a tape of his version of the ditty.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg