As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone go play Firewatch [chat]

1939495969799»

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I have not yet played board games with a group that got outwardly mad over deception in deceptive games.

I don't think it's as universal as Chat makes it seem.

wife and i have this one couple we are good friends with that we recently taught to play Catan. they love it so we have been playing a lot recently.

i did get frustrated with her one night after 3 straight games of her building directly into my settlements/roads, always placing the robber on my best numbers and refusing to trade with me

but like i've said before, she plays a different game sometimes. and that night the game was "make sure landshark doesn't win"

if you were in the lead, or could reasonably be thought to be in the lead (since points on cards are hidden until the end) then she was playing optimally

Catan is very much a "gang up on the leader" game

oh this was from the start to the finish of every game

like I'd play my opening settlement and she'd play her two to box me in and encourage our friends to do the same on my second settlement

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I have not yet played board games with a group that got outwardly mad over deception in deceptive games.

wife and i have this one couple we are good friends with that we recently taught to play Catan. they love it so we have been playing a lot recently.

i did get frustrated with her one night after 3 straight games of her building directly into my settlements/roads, always placing the robber on my best numbers and refusing to trade with me

but like i've said before, she plays a different game sometimes. and that night the game was "make sure landshark doesn't win"

this must be countered by moving randomly, taking no more than 2s for any given turn, and talking about other things

occasionally look at her and make a pouty face so she knows she is winning her game

PLAY THE META GAME

casually drop that you're willing to [insert sexual fantasy] here if, perhaps, she has some iron ore she's willing to part with

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    @zepherin they actually didn't even have firewalls between apartments or floors, so fires just massacred those buildings.
    Ahhhh, the old building code, where electrical wires were wrapped in cloth, and buildings were inclined to be burned to the ground...
    How are we all even existing?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Boss is back from traveling so now I have to do stuff, but 2 notes.

1. he is extremely southern (not sure from where originally, but U Alabama undergrad) and pronounces Tuesday as Tuesdee.
    2. he said "oh, I applied to work at LIGO when they were first building it and I was right out of grad school. And they only got results now? Man, that would have been a boring job." which is excellent.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Landshark's wife does not play "optimally"

She plays to ruin his experience

She is a troll

The image of him glumly losing in every respect and her roaring "HE'S UP TO SOMETHING I KNOW IT YOU'VE GOT TO BLOCK HIM" is beautiful and perfect

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

this must be countered by moving randomly, taking no more than 2s for any given turn, and talking about other things

occasionally look at her and make a pouty face so she knows she is winning her game

this is impressive

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    One time i screamed at deebs "you are literally the spy"

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Consoles will die, except for nintendo, which will continue to be your cheap fun mariocart box for the forseeable future.

Nintento won the console wars.

If anything consoles seem to be the winning horse?

genuine question: what good games are there for the PS4 / xbone generation that aren't also available on PC? Cause I've frequently thought about picking up a console but keep coming back to the fact that I don't know of a single one.

destiny and halo but im p sure you don't consider either good games and/or you lack interest so idk

consoles prob just aren't for you

Destiny is very much not for me. Halo I have half a dozen Halo games on my 360 I haven't finished. I suppose if I beat all of em I might look into an xbone.

Until recently, when a lot of the good ones have come out on PC, there were a lot of good console exclusives for the 360 and ps3. I just don't see that for the current gen.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    My trick for deceptive board games is that instead of being a good liar or creating an interesting gambit or lying unnecessarily, I just lie in a way that confirms other people's claimsuffering and/or is exceedingly plausible for the state of the board.

...aka being a good liar

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

i don't think it's universal but also how many people have you played board games with? Ain't nobody got a proper sample size for this question

Probably 30-40 total, maybe double that if you count online Mafia type games?

I mean maybe I read some people going "fuck you for betraying me" charitably as joking rather than being legit mad (since they didn't seem legit mad) but nobody seemed super upset.

yeah i'm just saying it's easy for me to believe that there's not a lot of similarity between the experience two people will have playing board games with 30-40 people

one group might be more prone to getting mad than another, if the groups are that small

I mean sample bias and all but I've played with randos, people from Chat, family members, people from high school, and people from college, all of which have little overlap.

The only people who suck at handling board games are my grandparents and their monopoly houserules.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

if you were in the lead, or could reasonably be thought to be in the lead (since points on cards are hidden until the end) then she was playing optimally

like I'd play my opening settlement and she'd play her two to box me in and encourage our friends to do the same on my second settlement
    sir landshark is the great satan and we must rally together to combat this menance

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    In my board gaming group. We rarely play games that aren't co-op anymore.

But when we do there's not much anger. I do have one friend that gets very fatalist and gloomy if he's losing. But that's the worst of it. Nobody's flippin' tables or anything over a game of LOTR Risk.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    And now Jimmy Johns.

Again.
    What did they do this time?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Although--are you good at board games?
    Because in some contexts it would make sense to do that (like even if you aren't in the lead at that time, if they think you are very likely to win even from a disadvantaged position).
    Er, don't actually put this into effect, people who play Catan with me.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I like the idea of board games about lying and manipulation

But I am the worst liar of all

I have been told that I am the worst liar, and also a surprisingly good liar

I suspect that one of the people that told me that was lying

But which one of them was the werespy

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

her game isn't to make sure i don't have fun. it's legit to make sure i don't win. cuz i win maybe 50% of the time and rather than improve her play she'd just rather see someone else win.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud was warned for this.
    is it time
    can i speak the word anime

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    You cannot negotiate with me. I do not share your pity, remorse, or fear, @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud.
    Warned @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud (0 points for 1 week) for "Disallowed phrase: Prohibited phrase "anime""

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Uupon reflection, I challenge the premise. Conversations with EM are exempt, you can't take things from that context and start talking about humanity.

Then it seems strange to begin your assertion with "most of the time"

Sorry, that was unclear. I am saying any conversation with EM is a special beast; by entering into it one has agreed to a depressed thousand-yard-stare for the duration. I might have happy views about humanity but I am contractually obligated to discard them and craft my finest nihilisms.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I have been told that I am the worst liar, and also a surprisingly good liar

I suspect that one of the people that told me that was lying

I'm incredibly easy to trust.

But once people realize I know that, I am incredibly easy to distrust.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    no
    it does not expire until 100

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    i've been trying to play firewatch the past couple days

but it crashes on load up maybe 50% of the time and then when it does work i can only play it until it crashes again.

There is a specific cliff that i cannot rappel on or the game will crash, so i'm forced to walk all the way around the map to avoid that shortcut

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    My trick for deceptive board games is that instead of being a good liar or creating an interesting gambit or lying unnecessarily, I just lie in a way that confirms other people's claimsuffering and/or is exceedingly plausible for the state of the board.

...aka being a good liar

no it's different because he tells them things to make them believe things that aren't true

wait

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

her game isn't to make sure i don't have fun. it's legit to make sure i don't win. cuz i win maybe 50% of the time and rather than improve her play she'd just rather see someone else win.

were they still relatively new at the time? and can you not be trusted to let them even have fun, like I couldn't be?

that's how I interpreted it but you've shed some new light

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

DRX and girl raven are sufficiently bad liars that their protestations of innocence once convinced everyone they were plotting against us when actually, no, they were totally innocent.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 3.8

@Chanus will create the new thread
    @Hakkekage is backup

This discussion has been closed.