As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV]Funky Cold Medina

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJWFiHcbHzg

the translated lyrics to this song are...something else, jeez

Sorce
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about this Veronica Mars episode that tackles the thorny issue of anti-Muslim sentiment

i'm vaguely remembering this

doesn't it get kind of racist toward the end?

Yeah, that was one of the poorer episodes of the series, from what I remember. It was a bit of an inconsistent mess character and message wise.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so I'm getting the vibe that Limitless is the new show I need to check out

Devlin_DragonusJragghenSorceChall
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So I haven't really watched American Idol in about 5 or 6 years, but I decided to tune in this season since it's the last and I did usually enjoy the show. And then I totally forgot about it, and so now I'm catching up on the first 10 episodes of the season that have already happened.

You know how they sometimes like to highlight emotional backstories for people who audition? I just watched one that might be the first that's ever made me go "Holy shit. Man." I feel like it should be an Intervention backstory. It's about the first two minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMC_5TTjGzA

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Im three episodes into making a murder.

This is fuuuuuuuuuuuucked up.

FawstDevlin_DragonusSimBenBucketman
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It gets worse doesn't it?

Bucketman
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I watched the first few episodes of Shannara tonight with a friend

"Better than it has any right to be" has never been more applicable, and I am stunned at how competent the leading woman is.
    She encounters a bandit who has already fooled the leading man, and IMMEDIATELY sees through her bullshit and gains the upper hand.

Also, Manu Bennett is still the best.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Just keeps on getting worse, really, yes.

edit: in fact I didn't even finish. I stopped on...8? I think.

Ranlin on
    Blake TDevlin_DragonusBucketman
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Finished up Galavant

God dammit Richard is such a fantastic character

And while I wish we could have gotten a billion more seasons, that was a very satisfying ending.

CYpGAPn.png
    nicopernicusCentipede DamascusZonugalJragghenGnizmoBucketmanDimosarReynoldsCantide
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Making a Murderer is an exercise in seeing how much frustration you can handle.

Apparently I enjoy it because I've started listening to Serial.

HyperSplatt
    Serial I think is just a really interesting look at a case.

This is just slowly turning into a purposeful intentful fuckup.

Gotcha. Serial seemed to be setting up a theme that appears later in MaM, so I won't spoil it. "Enjoy" MaM, because it really is an incredible ride.

THESPOOKY wrote: »

"Better than it has any right to be" has never been more applicable, and I am stunned at how competent the leading woman is.
    She encounters a bandit who has already fooled the leading man, and IMMEDIATELY sees through her bullshit and gains the upper hand.

Glad to hear, cuz I've been recording all the episodes.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I just watched all of the 100. Well, up to the most recent episode. Eehhhh?
    Now I need a new show to occupy my time.
    No cable tv, just hulu and Netflix.

You should watch Person of Interest because I need more people to talk to about it with

And also because its good

Chincy let's talk about how If-Then-Else is an utterly incredible episode of television

MAJOR SPOILERS
    I still get giddy thinking about the fact that they managed to plausibly write a Groundhog Day plot into this show. And to make it funny, tense, heartwarming and heartbreaking. Even though I had it semi-spoiled, Shaw's last stand crushed me.

Also, it tickles me that Finch criticises the tired cliché of chess being a metaphor for strategy.

ChincymcchillaCentipede DamascusDimosar
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular

You should watch Person of Interest because I need more people to talk to about it with

Chincy let's talk about how If-Then-Else is an utterly incredible episode of television

MAJOR SPOILERS
    I still get giddy thinking about the fact that they managed to plausibly write a Groundhog Day plot into this show. And to make it funny, tense, heartwarming and heartbreaking. Even though I had it semi-spoiled, Shaw's last stand crushed me.

Also, it tickles me that Finch criticises the tired cliché of chess being a metaphor for strategy.

Also one of the episodes with good use of licensed music.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yeah, on top of its amazing OST, it curates some great licensed stuff too. Hurt is already a powerful song, but it pretty much brings me to tears whenever I hear it because of its use in POI.

Fawst wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

Glad to hear, cuz I've been recording all the episodes.

It is totally CW-tier television, if that's a dealbreaker

The thing that stuck out to me the most from the first 4 episodes(3? I think the first one was technically 2 episodes) was that it never felt like anyone was holding the idiot ball. A few rash decisions are made but the protagonists seemed remarkably levelheaded and competent.

Also, Manu frickin' Bennett.

Fawst
    edited February 2016
    also If-Then-Else is maybe one of my top 5 episodes of television ever

THESPOOKY on
    ChincymcchillaDimosar
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

MAJOR SPOILERS

Yeah this episode is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen

It's also
    what finally sold me on actually caring about The Machine as something other than a tool necessary to defeat Samaritan and I am historically very skeptical about personifying AI.

She better be in that damned suitcase

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Since I don't want to click those spoilers which season is that episode?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Since I don't want to click those spoilers which season is that episode?

If-Then-Else is halfway through season 4.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Looks like shit is going to hit the team next week on iZombie

Devlin_Dragonus
    edited February 2016
    Looks like shit is going to hit the team next week on iZombie

like, literal shit or

Chincymcchilla on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That was supposed to say fan.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    so I'm getting the vibe that Limitless is the new show I need to check out

It's a very good show, but it also is the sort of show which can easily be oversold so you come away disappointed. I've not watched Chuck or Person of Interest (in the queue, but the queue is VERY deep), but I've heard a lot of comparisons to both of them.

If you've seen the movie, it's kinda like that, but more on the lighthearted side. Good-natured kinda-doofus gets access to a pill which, when he takes it, makes him (effectively) the smartest person in the world. FBI keeps him under observation and they solve crimes. It's a procedural with a through-plotline which is never forgotten about but rarely focused upon (every episode deals with it SOMEHOW, but usually as a B or C plot). The central cast play off one another well. The writers have a TON of fun visually with depicting what he's thinking of, up to and including having the protagonist explain things to people around him with clay figurines he makes. The sense of humor is basically this, which is the opening to my favorite episode so far. (Minor spoilers, but you'll get the picture). It manages to swing between that and very serious subject matter without getting mood whiplash.

It's not the best show ever, or anything. It's just good fun. It fills the niche in my mind that early Castle fell into.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    That was supposed to say fan.

The fan is going to hit the team? That doesn't make any sense Raijin

PSN- AHermano
    Raijin Quickfoot
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Obviously it was meant to say "shit is going to fan the team."

Raijin QuickfootHermano
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Obviously it was meant to say "shit is going to fan the team."

Thank you!

kaceyp

MAJOR SPOILERS

Yeah this episode is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen

It's also
    what finally sold me on actually caring about The Machine as something other than a tool necessary to defeat Samaritan and I am historically very skeptical about personifying AI.

She better be in that damned suitcase
    I cared about The Machine when it became clear that the writers had ditched the idea of her being evil, but yeah, in previous seasons I assumed that Root calling The Machine 'she' wasn't based on anything. Season 4 made it clear to me that she did like that identity. Even Reese, who used 'it' 99% of the time, comes around, which was sweet.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Finished up Galavant

God dammit Richard is such a fantastic character

And while I wish we could have gotten a billion more seasons, that was a very satisfying ending.

Tad Cooper!

BLM - ACAB
    GnizmoZonugalBlankZoeMcFodderAndy JoeDimosarReynoldsCantide
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I super believe in Tad Cooper!

Dr. FlamingoZonugalBlankZoeGnizmoAndy JoeDimosarReynoldsCantide
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    It looked so boring and stupid from the initial trailers. Plus I'm sick to death of the radio ads they had for it. But it's actually good, huh? Hmm.

Person of interest starts as a procedural crime drama and by season 3 is literally one of the craziest things on tv

And the transition is so smooth its hard to even notice

My favorite description of PoI is "stealth science fiction Batman". Because at first, you're all "oh okay this is just vigilante stuff and then later on you realize how sci-fi it's become and then you wonder when it became so.

And the answer to that question?
    Since the pilot.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    That was a good Limitless

Devlin_Dragonus
    My god, this Restaurant Wars on Top Chef is fucking brutal.

jkylefulton
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I super believe in Tad Cooper!
    I knew from the second he got Tad Copper that he was gonna be a real Dragon

But ending it with him looking directly at the camera and going "I have a DRAGON." was better than I hoped

CYpGAPn.png
    nicopernicusZonugalJimothy
    The 100
    Okay, there was a whole lot about this episode that really really worked. Lexa taking out the Ice Queen was baller as shit, as were Clarke's attempts to assassinate her to avoid the duel. The Grounder stuff really worked.

The stuff with Bellamy and Pike...I have some concerns. I can kind of see where they're coming from, or at least I can see where Pike is coming from. It almost works. But...jeez, it's such a fast turnaround, and it's borderline ridiculous for anyone to think this is in any way a good idea. I'm sure it's going to lead to some interesting places, but I really wish they'd put in more work to get to that point. It doesn't really feel earned, yet, aside from Lincoln's attempts to build a bridge between the grounders and the sky people.

It's not a good look for Bellamy (and it's not a good look for the show to essentially introduce a girlfriend just to kill her two episodes later and send Bellamy off on this current spiral), and...woof.

Still wondering how the Jaha/City of Light stuff ultimately ties in.

Bonus reaction: boy, Finn's the worst even at staying in a fucking jar, god damn it Finn.

SorceRorshach KringleDimosar
    It looked so boring and stupid from the initial trailers. Plus I'm sick to death of the radio ads they had for it. But it's actually good, huh? Hmm.

Person of interest starts as a procedural crime drama and by season 3 is literally one of the craziest things on tv

And the transition is so smooth its hard to even notice

My favorite description of PoI is "stealth science fiction Batman". Because at first, you're all "oh okay this is just vigilante stuff and then later on you realize how sci-fi it's become and then you wonder when it became so.

And the answer to that question?
    Since the pilot.

I would describe it as American Metal Gear

Fawst
    edited February 2016
    just....more stuff from the 100
    I just don't...get how this is happening the way it is? Like...Kane is clearly invested in keeping this alliance alive between the Ark and the grounders, and he's just going to casually step aside and let these people massacre a friendly army? Nobody is going to go out and warn them in the time it took for them to tally up the election results? Not even Octavia, who clearly has more sense than just about anyone left there, is going to go out and get them to move out?

I guess it hasn't officially happened yet, but...I mean, this show doesn't often back out from the awful things it sets up, so, I'm not holding out much hope, there. It just feels...super contrived and rushed. They can do this stuff so much better than they are, as evidenced by everything in this episode that revolved around the Ice Queen's attempted coup, which is among the best stuff this series has ever done.

DJ Eebs on
    Sorce
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    this week's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend goes nuts QUICK

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND JUST DID THE BEST LATE TITLE CARD ANYONE HAS EVER DONE

411Randle
This discussion has been closed.