As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Funky Cold Medina

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    what did sleepy hollow do to make people mad

Got generally shitty and then killed off Nicole Beharie's character, aka the other main character besides Crane

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    oh yeah, fuck that all the way

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I really like Buffy, even the later seasons, despite their problems, but I have a serious complaint about the beginning of season 6:
    They just let Buffybot die and never even mention it again after that! She tried her best, and everyone just acted like she never even existed after they get Buffy back. She deserved better.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Season 6 of Buffy is pretty easily my least favorite, other than maybe Season 1. Mostly for reasons that have been discussed. Willow's story in particular could have been really good but it is so badly executed that it's probably one of the worst major storylines in the series. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of Spike that season, either. He's okay at the beginning but as soon as
    he and Buffy actually hook up he becomes really obnoxious with his "you're saying no but I know you want me and my sexy forbidden darkness" attitude. And then the thing happened and that was also no good.

The highlights of the season are OMwF and Tabula Rasa (as mentioned), and also "I'd like to test that theory" which is admittedly one of the coolest moments in the series.

I actually like Season 7 quite a bit more, though it has some serious flaws of it's own (the middle of the season in particular really feels like it drags as a whole, despite the fact that when I think of the individual episodes it seems like it shouldn't).

But Season 7 has "Selfless" which IMO is easily the best episode of the last two years.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

HOW IS EVERYTHING I LIKE GETTING CANNED?

(I realise this isn't getting canned, but lets be honest here, it isn't looking good)

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    what did sleepy hollow do to make people mad

Got generally shitty and then killed off Nicole Beharie's character, aka the other main character besides Crane

Yeah, and to really dig into that, they passed it off as "she wanted off the show," when it's been pretty clear that she wanted off the show because her character was getting fuck all to do and the writing for her character in particular went into the shitter. So it was kind of a super slow burn of people getting pissed off.

I can't believe they actually brought it back, after everything. Especially after ABC axed Castle for putting themselves in a similar position

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    about halfway through season 1 of iZombie and I have to ask
    Is Major getting the shit kicked out of him a recurring theme

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Season 6 of Buffy as a metaphor for depression is very good, if not perfectly executed

Season 6 of Buffy using magic as an extremely heavy handed and out of nowhere addiction metaphor is utter garbage (and very imperfectly executed)

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    about halfway through season 1 of iZombie and I have to ask
    Is Major getting the shit kicked out of him a recurring theme
    If we include metaphorically, yes!

Life just loves shitting on Major.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Man Major has the hallmarks of an RPG character whos dedicated his life to eridacticing zombies

Edit:
    Literally the episode after I post this, he becomes it.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Season 6 of Buffy as a metaphor for depression is very good, if not perfectly executed

Season 6 of Buffy using magic as an extremely heavy handed and out of nowhere addiction metaphor is utter garbage (and very imperfectly executed)

Its actually a real shame because they had been building up the "Willow is addicted to power" thing for a long time and if they had just handled it honestly instead of making magic literally addictive it could have been really good.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i'm more surprised the muppets got a whole season than i am it was canceled

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    More on Season 1 iZombie
    I like how right after Liv can't kill a murderous psycho she kills a dude with a boat.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Lars wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Beginning of season 6 Buffy
    God damn these episodes piss me off so fucking much.

You fuckers bring Buffy back on your own initiative from being dead for five months and you have her out looking for jobs within a god damn week? And you get upset at her that she's not succeeding and is being emotionally distant - again after she was dead for five months?

Xander's being a pissy little asshole with a litany of ridiculous complaints, Anya's become an even more of a money asshole with her "dance of capitalist superiority" after a day of what seems like everyone working there for the day for free.

Willow and Tara seem like they're decent, until you remember that they just tell Buffy she's broke and expect the audience to forget that they're living in Buffy's house with no offer of helping her financial state, no mention of paying rent, utilities, anything.
    And Willow does nothing but brag about how powerful she was to bring buffy back, and is pissy that Buffy didn't immediately process everything and thank her.

It's like, jesus christ it's a good thing for them that Buffy's enemies are literal demons, their comparative bad-ness is keeping her from realizing what monumental cockmongers her 'friends' are.

The only saving grace is Giles and Spike. Dude's are being true bros.

I needed to get that out.

I despise the UPN Seasons of Buffy so much.
    Especially when people try to use that tired "Life was the Big Bad" excuse for Season 6 to justify how everyone was acting like an asshole, completely ignoring how the early seasons of the show would constantly use the "this monster is a metaphor/allegory/parallel for this life problem" trope and Season 6 basically just made the monsters be secondary to all the humans acting like jerks (and about the only time they do remember the metaphor thing is with magic=crack, except they handle it so poorly and are so in your face about it that it's hard to even consider it a metaphor).

I've ranted a bunch about those seasons on these forums in the past (including a long one about Willow & Tara not paying rent), so I'll try not to repeat it again here.

Spike & Giles unfortunately don't escape quite as neatly either, though they do better than the rest of the cast (until near the end of the season for Spike).

The problem with Giles is how poorly they handled his first departure, though that's tied into how awfully the writers handled Buffy's resurrection. You have to remember that Willow kept Giles in the dark about the resurrection plotline, but that Giles apparently decides that it's okay for Dawn's legal guardian to be a stupid robot (which is obviously not a long-term solution) and that he shouldn't tell the Watcher Council that the Slayer has died, and that he should just abandon everyone left behind who are still on an active Hellmouth. Yeah, he's sad that Buffy died, but this just really doesn't make sense for him. It would have been far better to just have the Watcher Council find out that Buffy died and forcefully relocate Giles since you needed to write him out. But they couldn't, because the writers decide to go with the completely idiotic notion of nobody knowing that Buffy died (despite having a clearly marked gravestone) so that she could just easily step back into her life when she came back.

Then his second departure is bad because while it makes some amount of sense that he wants Buffy to be able to stand on her own two feet, you also have to remember that it's his fucking job to support her. Yeah, he's not supposed to get emotionally attached like he did, but that doesn't mean he gets to just abandon her when he is supposed to be supporting her since being the Chosen One is kind of already a hard enough lot in life.

And if he is leaving, the Watcher's Council should have either sent her another Watcher or just given her Giles' salary and said she's watching herself. You could have still done the financial difficulties plot if you wanted (as the Watcher's Council would probably only pay her to live a small modest life, and so if she wanted to keep that massive suburban house she would need additional income and it's not like anybody could ever believe she was paying for that house--and all it's repairs and utilities--solely on a fast food salary anyways).

Grrr...Season 6 & 7 are so bad! It's speaks a lot that some of the only good episodes are the ones where everyone is forced to sing and dance, and the one where everyone loses their memories so they're not being quite as awful people as they normally are for that season.
    I think the only good thing about S7 was Dawn and Tara having a nice little sisterly bond-thing, but that could just be me mis-remembering.
    I really like Buffy, even the later seasons, despite their problems, but I have a serious complaint about the beginning of season 6:
    They just let Buffybot die and never even mention it again after that! She tried her best, and everyone just acted like she never even existed after they get Buffy back. She deserved better.
    And to think
    Buffybot was originally planned to be Britney Spears.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Really sad about the muppets

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm going to be livid if Limitless doesn't get renewed.

• Options
    I really got to hand it to the people behind Quantico. They managed to fool enough people to give a CW show "main network" money and backing.
    I'm not quite current, but the end of the episode I just watched culminating with the protagonist forced to roll around NYC in her ex-boyfriend's stolen Toyota Tundra with a nuke stuck in it by a former classmate? GENIUS.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    To be fair, Limitless has no business being on CBS. I just hope it can find a home somewhere.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I will say this... If it ends up dying at least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I will say this... If it ends up dying at least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

They'll renew it for a single episode, to then end it on a cliffhanger

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Here's a thing that happened

avclub.com/article/tuxedoed-girl-who-was-ejected-philly-prom-gets-cas-236759
    Aniya Wolf, a high school junior from Pennsylvania’s capital city, wasn’t making a political statement or angling for any special favors when she decided to wear a suit to the Bishop McDevitt High School. She simply feels more comfortable in what is traditionally considered men’s clothing, she says. “I’ve just always been like this, ever since I was little,” Wolf, who identifies as a lesbian woman, told her local ABC 27 News. “I was always more masculine. You wouldn’t catch me playing with any Barbie dolls, I’ll tell you that right now.” Unfortunately, her choice of formalwear ran afoul of the dance’s dress code, and so she was removed from the dance.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Philly does need all the class it can get.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    It's Philly... Someone will whip a battery at her.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Hopefully she doesn't get the Country Mac / Barnabas treatment.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I wonder if the rule was "you cannot rock a suit too hard", because if there is she definitely broke it

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Here's a thing that happened

avclub.com/article/tuxedoed-girl-who-was-ejected-philly-prom-gets-cas-236759
    Aniya Wolf, a high school junior from Pennsylvania’s capital city, wasn’t making a political statement or angling for any special favors when she decided to wear a suit to the Bishop McDevitt High School. She simply feels more comfortable in what is traditionally considered men’s clothing, she says. “I’ve just always been like this, ever since I was little,” Wolf, who identifies as a lesbian woman, told her local ABC 27 News. “I was always more masculine. You wouldn’t catch me playing with any Barbie dolls, I’ll tell you that right now.” Unfortunately, her choice of formalwear ran afoul of the dance’s dress code, and so she was removed from the dance.

Ugh, it must be so awesome being in the gang (IRL), you can just do whatever you want with the show.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Rob McElhenney is a cool fucking dude

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    From everything I've heard their all really nice, polite & enjoyable people. The only one with a controversial issue is Glenn Howerton, but besides him their all swell folks.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Rob McElhenney is good people

I've listened to his episode on Marc Maron, and he's just generally a good guy, but he's extra sensitive to this kind of stuff because if I recall correctly, his parents are two lesbians

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    And to think
    Actually, they wanted Britney Spears to play the first robot that Warren built (the one that was supposed to be Warren's girlfriend and Buffy sits with her on the swings as her batteries die.

• Options
    It's Philly... Someone will whip a battery at her.

PHILLY REPRESENT

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    From everything I've heard their all really nice, polite & enjoyable people. The only one with a controversial issue is Glenn Howerton, but besides him their all swell folks.

GODDAMNIT @Zonugal

IT'S "THEY'RE"

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Glenn made one extremely mild tweet about SB277

That doesn't make him a bad person.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Giving people a choice re: vaccinations is still pretty dumb

it should be manditory

but yeah unless there's some insane screed I haven't seen Glenn Howerton is at least not an asshole about it

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Giving people a choice re: vaccinations is still pretty dumb

it should be manditory

but yeah unless there's some insane screed I haven't seen Glenn Howerton is at least not an asshole about it
    Of course vaccines should be mandatory, but it's frustrating that I've seen people call him anti-vaxx. Anti-vaxxers are typically not shy about expressing themselves, and not only is it just one tweet, he doesn't even say he's anti-vaxx in that tweet! It's just fuzzy hippy logic about personal choice. Maybe he waded into a controversial issue without fully understanding it. Maybe he changed his mind after a lot of his followers yelled at him. Maybe he secretly does think vaccines are evil and just doesn't want to impact the show with controversy. There's no way to know, and until he starts regularly tweeting or talking about optional vaccination I think it's insane to judge him as a person for it.

• Options
    Lars wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    And to think
    Actually, they wanted Britney Spears to play the first robot that Warren built (the one that was supposed to be Warren's girlfriend and Buffy sits with her on the swings as her batteries die.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

GODDAMNIT @Zonugal

IT'S "THEY'RE"

IT WAS EARLY IN THE MORNING!!!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

GODDAMNIT @Zonugal

IT'S "THEY'RE"

IT WAS EARLY IN THEY'RE MORNING!!!

• Options
    Pooro, not you too.

Not you too...

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know that I agree vaccinations should be mandatory
    Ideally we'd have better education on science and medical issues and then everyone could voluntarily get them because they know that they should

This discussion has been closed.