As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Funky Cold Medina

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I'll watch it, but I'm just kinda worried that it'll burn out it's premise after the first season.

It might be a great season, and I hope that is it. But I'm just not sure about what they'll continue to do.
    Season 2: She goes to The Bad Place

Turns out that was just some guy watching a horror movie and it is actually just kind of annoying in every way
    Supernatural did a riff on that; Hell was just a really long line at the DMV.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMf24rEsMOs
    Mike Schur, co-creator of Parks & Recreation and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, has a new NBC show

It stars Kristen Bell and Ted Danson

I'm all in on this one, motherforkers

• Options
    The second half of the Once Upon a Time finale
    I was not expecting a reference to A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The rest I kind of expected, but it at least looks fun.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    season 2 of The Good Place is just a stealth reboot of Reaper with Ray Wise

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Half-way through the current season finale of Once Upon a Time
    What do you do when you've stripmined virtually every Disney story in the catalog?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, broheim. One of whom is played by Sam Witwer, in a hilarious bit of (reverse?) typecasting. Also of course there's multiple volumes of The Book, with such random pages featuring Paul Bunyan, Captain Nemo, and Don Quixote!

I can't wait to find out who's somehow related to the protagonists.

My most important thought regarding the finale is: hi, Sam Witwer!

Otherwise, I'm not really sure I liked the finale overall.
    First, just purely based on the finale itself, Jekyll and Hyde kind of seems like a weirdly underwhelming place to take the show after everything else they've done. But hey, Sam Witwer!

Second, good lord was that whole "You just have to BELIEVE!!!" thing at the fountain dumb. I think stuff like that has its place but it's tricky and I'm just not sure this is where I wanted to see it attempted.

I did like some of Regina's conversations, particularly the big one with Emma, about how she can never get rid of the darkness inside her. The only aspect of that stuff I didn't like was whenever they went hard on talking about "the Evil Queen" as though it was actually a different person, but they balanced it well enough. So where does it lead? Does Regina finally learn to reconcile her darker impulses with her capacity for love and heroism?

Ha, no. She drinks a potion to literally rip the Evil Queen out of her and make it into an actual separate person, which she then kills. Except not really, so next season Regina will presumably have an evil doppelganger running around, which is also a story that has its place but is difficult to do without being dumb and cheesy. And I'm not sure I like this show's chances of being in the right category there.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm just happy to see Kristen Bell outside of the black hole that is House of Lies (Pies) and those commercials with her husband

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    She ran out of stuff to do when Craig ferguson left late night

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Pfft like a fucking Templar would get into heaven

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Half-way through the current season finale of Once Upon a Time
    What do you do when you've stripmined virtually every Disney story in the catalog?

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, broheim. One of whom is played by Sam Witwer, in a hilarious bit of (reverse?) typecasting. Also of course there's multiple volumes of The Book, with such random pages featuring Paul Bunyan, Captain Nemo, and Don Quixote!

I can't wait to find out who's somehow related to the protagonists.

My most important thought regarding the finale is: hi, Sam Witwer!

Otherwise, I'm not really sure I liked the finale overall.
    First, just purely based on the finale itself, Jekyll and Hyde kind of seems like a weirdly underwhelming place to take the show after everything else they've done. But hey, Sam Witwer!

Second, good lord was that whole "You just have to BELIEVE!!!" thing at the fountain dumb. I think stuff like that has its place but it's tricky and I'm just not sure this is where I wanted to see it attempted.

I did like some of Regina's conversations, particularly the big one with Emma, about how she can never get rid of the darkness inside her. The only aspect of that stuff I didn't like was whenever they went hard on talking about "the Evil Queen" as though it was actually a different person, but they balanced it well enough. So where does it lead? Does Regina finally learn to reconcile her darker impulses with her capacity for love and heroism?

Ha, no. She drinks a potion to literally rip the Evil Queen out of her and make it into an actual separate person, which she then kills. Except not really, so next season Regina will presumably have an evil doppelganger running around, which is also a story that has its place but is difficult to do without being dumb and cheesy. And I'm not sure I like this show's chances of being in the right category there.
    I thought the fountain thing was dumb, and it played out exactly like Peter Pan on Ice, but considering the show itself, it was fine.

Regina and Emma talking about Regina's darkness was actually a highlight of the finale for me actually. Regina admitted that as much as it sucks, she does have to karmic-ally pay for the literal decades of evil bullshit she put everyone on the show through because she couldn't forgive an 8yo girl for not keeping a secret. I'm all for the Evil Queen vamping it up next season though, since it's bound to be better than the Evil Triad we had that ended up being all noise and no fury.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Whatever happened to the cast of Psych?

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I thought the fountain thing was dumb, and it played out exactly like Peter Pan on Ice, but considering the show itself, it was fine.

Regina and Emma talking about Regina's darkness was actually a highlight of the finale for me actually. Regina admitted that as much as it sucks, she does have to karmic-ally pay for the literal decades of evil bullshit she put everyone on the show through because she couldn't forgive an 8yo girl for not keeping a secret. I'm all for the Evil Queen vamping it up next season though, since it's bound to be better than the Evil Triad we had that ended up being all noise and no fury.
    Yeah, that conversation was probably the highlight.
    I do enjoy a bit of Evil Queen, but I've also been kind of ready for the show to move on from her for a while.

The "Queens of Darkness" were hella underwhelming as a whole, though I kind of like what they did with them individually. Ursula and even Maleficent both became more sympathetic and non-evil. Cruella? Nope, she is a straight up sociopath. An entertaining sociopath.

Oh also, I would like to thank both Once Upon a Time and Supergirl for putting Emma Caulfield on my TV screen some more.

• Options
    Whatever happened to the cast of Psych?

Timothy Osmondson is/was on Supernatural.

So they've basically been doing nothing worthwhile

• Options
    Omundson gets around

• Options
    Gaaaaaaaaallll
    aaaaaa
    vaaaaaaaaaannnnnnttt

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Help im laughing at 2 broke girls

I assumed people muted that show and felt bad about thinking Kat Denning is atttractive because sbe was the kid in 40 year old virgin

Everyone was a kid once
    She isn't now
    Ain't no problem from where I'm standing

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    She wasn't much of a kid in forty year old version, like she was portrayed as late teens. And she had dem titties at the time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Kat Dennings was like 19 years old when she filmed 40 year old virgin.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Help im laughing at 2 broke girls

I assumed people muted that show and felt bad about thinking Kat Denning is atttractive because sbe was the kid in 40 year old virgin

Everyone was a kid once
    She isn't now
    Ain't no problem from where I'm standing. All right all right all right

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Xander's kinda the most annoying character this season.
    Dude, you FUCKING LEFT HER AT THE ALTAR. You're such a spoiled little child to think that you get to do that and she's still yours. Then you find out she's with someone new, and you set out immediately with an axe to kill him and you get mad at HER over it?

Jesus christ dude, is this the most misogynistic attitude in the series?

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Xander is pretty terrible throughout the series. He has a few good moments, but his is mostly just an obnoxious asshole. I can think of 2 people who go more mysoginistic than him though. Warren at the end of season 6 (he ain't great up until then either) and the villain that pops up towards the end of Season 7.

• Options
    Right, Warren slipped my mind.
    Xander's still an asshole.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Modern Xander would be all over Twitter and running with a certain videogames-adjacent crowd that we don't like to mention here. He's sort of the epitome of the social outcast with an axe to grind against society and a complete inability to weigh any situation against any metric other than what he thinks the world owes him. In turns both self-pitying and self-serving. I like a lot of his dialog but kind of hate him as a person/character.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    She wasn't much of a kid in forty year old version, like she was portrayed as late teens. And she had dem titties at the time.

jesus

• Options
    Xander tends to swing back and forth as a character throughout the series. He's frequently an asshole during Seasons 2 and 3, but then gets much better in Season 4 (perhaps not coincidentally when Angel leaves). But he's pretty bad again in 6.

Really I think the only character who is maybe at their best in Season 6 is Tara. Everyone else is at or near their worst, except maybe Anya.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I often do not like to know what people think, I find

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    She was 19 when they filmed 40 Year Old Virgin so it's not the WORST post I've ever seen.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hey, I'd rather see that post than blood in my urine

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

I am so excited for this to finally come out

• Options
    I had forgotten that spike tried to rape buffy.

• Options
    She was 19 when they filmed 40 Year Old Virgin so it's not the WORST post I've ever seen.

Sure. But I mean, I've certainly known 14 year olds who had 'dem titties', to use the vernacular.

Breast size is probably not the best metric to use when evaluating appropriate lechery levels, is what I'm trying to say.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Sure. But I mean, I've certainly known 14 year olds who had 'dem titties', to use the vernacular.

Breast size is probably not the best metric to use when evaluating appropriate lechery levels, is what I'm trying to say.

I 100% agree with you. I'm just pointing out that at least she wasn't underage. I'm not saying it's OK.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I love Xander, but that's more due to my love of people without any knowledge/power trying to play along with the big kids

There's something very endearing about it

Plus he makes Anya happy (usually) and she is the best, so

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I liked Xander when I was 19 aka pretty much just Xander aka basically an asshole

As I grew out of that, I also grew out of liking Xander very much

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Look if appreciating the bust of a legal woman in a movie is wrong than I don't want to be right!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    there are ways to appreciate someone's figure without saying 'dem titties'

you may as well be wolf-whistling

• Options
    edited May 2016
    personally I had more issue with the conjunction of the fact she has tits with the implication that makes it ok to treat her as, well, tits with legs. Because non-legal girls never have 'dem titties', or if they do that somehow mitigates the possible skeeviness? And of course, once you are over the age of consent, well, what else do you expect, mirite?

tynic on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I liked Xander when I was 19 aka pretty much just Xander aka basically an asshole

As I grew out of that, I also grew out of liking Xander very much

This may apply to me as well, now that I think of it

I haven't really watched Buffy since college, outside of a couple of isolated episodes for major holidays and stuff

• Options
    not to diverge into podcast/power rangers talk too much but basically everyone who's gone back to watch power rangers for teenagers with attitude has fucking HATED billy, even those who kind of identified with him as kids

• Options
    not to diverge into podcast/power rangers talk too much but basically everyone who's gone back to watch power rangers for teenagers with attitude has fucking HATED billy, even those who kind of identified with him as kids
    Why is that?

Was he that much of an asshole back then, but no one noticed?

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.