Options

[The Wrestling Thread] is Back and Ready to Kiss Princesses and Fight for Love

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I need to get caught up on Lucha Underground.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Some WWE notes because I don't want to talk about that last Cup match because it never happened

Nakamura's contract is 3 years

Styles is verboten from using the Clash

Can he still hit the Spyral Tap? I haven't seen that in a while.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    The Styles Clash broke someone's neck and is a dangerous and bad move

It really isn't nearly as dangerous as a lot of other moves, but it does really need the guy taking it to put his head back at a time when instinct is to tuck your chin. I will agree it gets a little dicey when the opponent is a lot taller than AJ though.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I like the calf killer a whole bunch, and always like seeing someone use a submission as their main finisher.

Also I'm happy for Osprey. He can do some really cool things in ring.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Considering how many times the Clash has been done over the past couple decades without hurting anyone(including Michelle McCool of all people using it) I think acting like it's some incredibly unsafe move that must be banned because there have been a couple moments where someone got hurt taking it is a little silly.

Perhaps the move is not actually the problem and it's simply a matter of things can go wrong sometimes, no matter what move you are doing.

Like we would have to ban a lot of shit if that was enough to consider a move bannable.

Now, I can still understand moving away from it, as AJ is going to be working with an average bigger opponent than before, and the bigger the opponent the less viable and more unwieldy the move becomes.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hasn't one of the two or three dudes who actually wrestle here said that the Clash is actually pretty safe, Yoshi just didn't (or did, I forget) tuck his head? I mean, the Neutralizer is a pretty similar move and Cesaro did that a billion times no problem.

I'm not gonna miss it a ton if they do get rid of it, it's fun but incredibly awkward to set up and doesn't actually look like a death move.

The Styles Clash is safe as houses. It's just a front bump which is some basic shit.
    The only thing the Styles Clash is guilty of is looking shitty, and oh boy does it look hella shitty. Personally I would not be sad to never see it again.

New Japan cup:
    Fale continues his streak of winning meaningless matches against Tanahashi so New Japan can pretend he's kind of sort of a threat to the mid card belts and maybe the tag titles.
    My favourite part is that no matter how many times Fale beats somebody like this, and no matter how meaningless it always is, there are corners of the internet that explode with fury and it sustains me.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    I like the calf killer a whole bunch, and always like seeing someone use a submission as their main finisher.

My problem with submission finishers is purely based on WWE booking...they don't seem to like them on guys that are going to go beyond midcard. They always want that impact finisher for main event guys...and even though I doubt he gets there, I don't want AJ saddled with that before he even gets started.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The problem with the WWE that they have cultivated a story environment where if you tap out, that means you're a sissy quitter man.

Which is dumb in a world where UFC is a big thing.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

My problem with submission finishers is purely based on WWE booking...they don't seem to like them on guys that are going to go beyond midcard. They always want that impact finisher for main event guys...and even though I doubt he gets there, I don't want AJ saddled with that before he even gets started.

Eh, when he starts getting towards the main event, they'll just give him a kick or a knee or something. That's what they always do.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Remember that AJ put out a shirt about how good he was at breaking necks right after he almost killed yoshi and (I forget who else there were like three in a relatively short order)

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Remember that AJ put out a shirt about how good he was at breaking necks right after he almost killed yoshi and (I forget who else there were like three in a relatively short order)

I think Roderick Strong was the third but I'm not sure. I know that Yoshi and a British wrestler named Lionheart both got hurt, Yoshi's being worse by far.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    That Ibushi/Generico four-way was amazing... I should probably watch Chikara.

• Options
    A Brit and Roddy Strong, no wonder I couldn't remember them

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    I always forget about Eugene ... I think I have to otherwise I absolutely hate everything about the WWE then.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Cheeseburger is on the card for the Philly show! On a team with...the Briscoes?

What.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

He's hardly the first to have done that.
    owen316.jpg
    Owen-Hart-Owen-3-16-shirt-back.jpg

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options

He's hardly the first to have done that.
    owen316.jpg
    Owen-Hart-Owen-3-16-shirt-back.jpg

Wrestling has an unfortunate and long standing history of making money and bragging in Kayfabe about real tragic events...deaths are not even sacred. It is one of the worst things about the business and even worse in most cases the people involved are more than ok with it.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I think the Styles Clash is being phased out in favor of the springboard flying forearm and Calf Crusher, two moves that look a thousand times better anyway.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The problem with the WWE that they have cultivated a story environment where if you tap out, that means you're a sissy quitter man.

Which is dumb in a world where UFC is a big thing.

I don't know there are a lot of people in UFC who won't tap out to shit and pass out or get limbs fucked up in submissions. Miesha Tate did that in her first match with Rousey and her elbow was injured.

• Options
    Nash announces he'll donate his brain to cte research upon his passing

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Dave wrote:
    There had been talk regarding whether to allow Styles to use the Styles Clash, because Vince McMahon had found out Yoshitatsu suffered a broken neck from the move and wanted to err on the side of caution. After Styles used it to beat Axel in his second singles match, they made the call to use the calf crusher as his finisher. Styles hadn’t used the Styles clash, nor even teased it because he was told it wasn’t going to be his finish, since that point. Jericho wanted it in their PPV match, as much as anything because the move was over and to get a reaction, and got it in, and with no issues coming from it, the move is now okay to be used. But I believe they still want the submission move to be his finisher

How in the fuck did dirtsheets get "Styles Clash banned" from absolutely any of this

• Options
    Also Brock/Bray at Roadblock

• Options
    Huh

Dean/HHH
    Brock/Bray
    NXT Tag Titles
    Probably Big Show/Owens

That's basically a match or two away from being a proper PPV card

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

At least now they'll maybe payoff the story they started telling at the Rumble.

• Options
    Dave wrote:
    There had been talk regarding whether to allow Styles to use the Styles Clash, because Vince McMahon had found out Yoshitatsu suffered a broken neck from the move and wanted to err on the side of caution. After Styles used it to beat Axel in his second singles match, they made the call to use the calf crusher as his finisher. Styles hadn’t used the Styles clash, nor even teased it because he was told it wasn’t going to be his finish, since that point. Jericho wanted it in their PPV match, as much as anything because the move was over and to get a reaction, and got it in, and with no issues coming from it, the move is now okay to be used. But I believe they still want the submission move to be his finisher

How in the fuck did dirtsheets get "Styles Clash banned" from absolutely any of this

Also also Vince remembered Yoshi <3

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I haven't had the chance to get tired of the clash and I think it looks good. and seeing him use it, for example the finishing sequence posted last page, makes me love the setup. that moment of seeing whether he can lock the legs is really cool

but definitely I am fine with him shying away from it if only because of the size of so many wwe wrestlers.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Huh

Dean/HHH
    Brock/Bray
    NXT Tag Titles
    Probably Big Show/Owens

Small correction: WWE also has a live event taking place in Atlantic City that night. Owens, Kalisto, Show, Strowman, Rowan, Rusev, Del Rio, Ryback, Becky, Charlotte, and KANE are all advertised for Atlantic City.

• Options
    Also the NXT Tag match basically confirms that Enzo and Cass will be debuting post Mania huh
    We know they lose since Revival/American Alpha is set for Dallas and this is basically a way to go HEY PEOPLE WHO DONT WATCH NXT FOR SOME REASON LOOK AT THESE IDIOTS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Huh

Dean/HHH
    Brock/Bray
    NXT Tag Titles
    Probably Big Show/Owens

Small correction: WWE also has a live event taking place in Atlantic City that night. Owens, Kalisto, Show, Strowman, Rowan, Rusev, Del Rio, Ryback, Becky, Charlotte, and KANE are all advertised for Atlantic City.
    Aw dang

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two of those talents end up on Roadblock instead but still

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Big Cass what did they do to you

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VTBNAwDnJK0

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Dave wrote:

because they're dirtsheets

• Options
    Chris Jericho’s current WWE run does not currently have a set end date. Jericho has no dates scheduled for Fozzy right now so there is no pressing scheduling concerns preventing him from working with the company.

Y2AJ makes more sense now.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Maaan, it's gonna be so nice when the New Day get's to fully heel off on an over face tag team.

New Day Vs. Enzo and Cass promo's are gonna be AMAZING

• Options
    Huh

Dean/HHH
    Brock/Bray
    NXT Tag Titles
    Probably Big Show/Owens

Also weird that they seem to be showing some of the things that were preferred or teased for mania.

• Options
    Also the NXT Tag match basically confirms that Enzo and Cass will be debuting post Mania huh
    We know they lose since Revival/American Alpha is set for Dallas and this is basically a way to go HEY PEOPLE WHO DONT WATCH NXT FOR SOME REASON LOOK AT THESE IDIOTS

We don't know for sure who the tag title contenders will face in Dallas though.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Chris Jericho’s current WWE run does not currently have a set end date. Jericho has no dates scheduled for Fozzy right now so there is no pressing scheduling concerns preventing him from working with the company.

Y2AJ makes more sense now.

brb, calling a bunch of metal festivals asking them to book fozzy

• Options
    Huh

Dean/HHH
    Brock/Bray
    NXT Tag Titles
    Probably Big Show/Owens

Aw dang

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one or two of those talents end up on Roadblock instead but still

One man's not advertised who's able to answer the call and make it a real PPV

1. Almost posted the champ Nash pyro gif again
    2. I'm glad Neville doesn't do that much roids anymore

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

We don't know for sure who the tag title contenders will face in Dallas though.

Actually, we pretty much do.

NXT Taping Spoilers:
    The Revival wrestle a match on the March 30th NXT, non-title, but I assume they had the belts with them. Plus, Enzo and Cass aren't on the next month of NXT tapings at all, which would be odd if they were planning to give them the titles at Roadblock

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
This discussion has been closed.