As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    In the last twelve months I've seen two movies that I immediately knew I wanted to see again.

Deadpool's the third.

So good.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If Deadpool 2 gets a much larger budget I'm hoping the stakes don't get raised to world changing events like the rest of the movies.
    Deadpool 2 is going to get a bigger budget - and probably a world-ending threat - because Fox has been trying to figure out how to use Cable on the screen. With Deadpool doing well, they've now got the perfect springboard for Cable.

I have not seen the movie so am not gonna click on that. I read a non spoiler review where it indicated the stakes are very low.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    If Deadpool 2 gets a much larger budget I'm hoping the stakes don't get raised to world changing events like the rest of the movies.
    Deadpool 2 is going to get a bigger budget - and probably a world-ending threat - because Fox has been trying to figure out how to use Cable on the screen. With Deadpool doing well, they've now got the perfect springboard for Cable.

I have not seen the movie so am not gonna click on that. I read a non spoiler review where it indicated the stakes are very low.

It was less a spoiler (although it comes up in the movie) than speculation based mostly on a few articles I've read over the years that mention that Fox really, really wants to develop something that features a character who is very close to Deadpool, and whose entire shtick revolves around massive world-ending threats.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What's interesting is this might have one of the highest profit ratios of any big superhero movie since the first Iron Man film.

If it cost 60 milly, and you say the marketing was another 60 like it usually is (only they focused on viral and it seems to hella paid off), and it's already on track for 80 milly worldwide this weekend, in February, without China, it will basically pay off F4's flop twice over.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The marketing blitz has been real so far. I swear they had to have spent as much on marketing as they did on the actual movie (especially considering Fox slashed 9 mil from the budget moments before shooting started).

• Options
    I don't watch TV much anymore so I don't know if they blitzed it like ABC did with Avengers, but it seems like they just made perfect trailers which costs peanuts basically, let word spread, and then are pushing Reynolds non-stop everywhere (or someone dressed as Deadpool walking around with a tape of Reynolds saying stuff for Comedy Central or whatever).

In fact, has anyone seen Deadpool and Reynolds stand next to each other yet? Take that, Lois Lane!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Pretty darn good, the movie didn't hook me until the lab scenes though.

I was expecting it to be, "Fighting for air" funny when I read reactions on here, but it did enough.

• Options
    I forget where I read it, but apparently Reynolds stole (or, you know, "stole", which seems more likely) one of the Deadpool suits after they wrapped.

Which reminds me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr1YnpLiJC8

I don't know if that's just pure marketing, or at least semi-legit, but damn it's awesome.

• Options
    Beast looked so scared when he grabbed him.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    This movie is peak Reynolds. The supreme distillation of the essence of Ryan Reynolds.

Climax spoilers
    I groaned when I saw that the name of the location for the climax was The Scrapyard until I saw what specific Scrapyard it was. Nice of Disney Marvel to let them fight on the corpse of a Project Insight helicarrier like that...

I just got out and totally didn't realize but
    I did think that looked familiar. Is that actually what it was??
    movie was great by the way. Definitely stay after the credits.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    This movie is peak Reynolds. The supreme distillation of the essence of Ryan Reynolds.

Climax spoilers
    I groaned when I saw that the name of the location for the climax was The Scrapyard until I saw what specific Scrapyard it was. Nice of Disney Marvel to let them fight on the corpse of a Project Insight helicarrier like that...

I just got out and totally didn't realize but
    I did this k that looked familiar. Is that actually what it was??

Agreed, I just finished watching Winter Soldier and I can't for certain say that
    the carrier here is the carrier from there. It definitely had a engine on a corner that I saw fall off when they zoomed out in Deadpool's big fight and slide but it didn't look the same and certainly wasn't as big. Older model maybe?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not gonna be able to see if for a while but just out of curiosity; does Deadpool spend much time unmasked after he gets his powers?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Not gonna be able to see if for a while but just out of curiosity; does Deadpool spend much time unmasked after he gets his powers?

The movie is intercut with flashbacks at appropriate times.

It starts off with him having his powers.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    For some reason, my favorite part of the movie is the line
    "So what's it gonna be!? Long silence or mean comment? COME ON!"

"...you got me in a box here."

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    RT800 wrote: »

Deadpool's interactions with
    the X-Men
    really stole the show for me

Winky on
  • Options
    Oh god, and the montages in this film are amazing
    The one with the zamboni and him not knowing if it's sexist to hit the female mooks is glorious

• Options

Vague spoilers regarding Deadpool's face:
    The state of his face is something of a major plot point.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-ryan-reynolds-deadpool-864451

Friday numbers pushing estimate up, now projected to open in the 90 million range.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    If I have a problem, it's that Deadpool's face isn't really that gross. It does not inspire revulsion in me, and I swear the make-up guys made Reynold's face look better in the later parts of
    the film.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-ryan-reynolds-deadpool-864451

Friday numbers pushing estimate up, now projected to open in the 90 million range.
    Either way, it looks to open in the vicinity of Guardians of the Galaxy ($94.3 million) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million). If it crosses $100 million, it would be only the 11th superhero movie in history to achieve that feat. And it's likely to score the top R-rated opening of all time.

Holy balls.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    This was really fun! It pretty much hit the perfect balance of things I was looking for in a Deadpool film.

It also felt like a total breath of fresh air when I've been feeling pretty over-saturated by superhero movies.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

Deadpool's interactions with
    the X-Men
    really stole the show for me
    Stewart or McAvoy!?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, and I have to say the sex montage is like the best depiction of sex in a movie ever
    The random cut to them sitting and quietly reading together, and then of course the pegging...

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    If I have a problem, it's that Deadpool's face isn't really that gross. It does not inspire revulsion in me, and I swear the make-up guys made Reynold's face look better in the later parts of
    the film.

RyRey 100% deserves to be the face of Deadpool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Kadoken wrote: »
    the film.

RyRey 100% deserves to be the face of Deadpool.

Yeah, Reynolds earned the right to be the definitive portrayal of Deadpool. Like, he's the RDJ as Ironman level of perfect.

Winky on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh, and I have to say the sex montage is like the best depiction of sex in a movie ever
    The random cut to them sitting and quietly reading together, and then of course the pegging...
    Happy National Women's Day

• Options
    I definitely think this is one of those movies that will bear multiple rewatches, because it is just so dense in references and tiny little visual gags.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Took me a minute to get one of the lines from the movie.

It was the put a bullet in his head and fuck the brain hole. I was on the car ride home when I remembered that's from Grosse Point Blank it's what Akroyd threatens to do to John Cusack at the diner.

Loved the movie, laughed so hard at so many things, the second cab ride was a personal favorite.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    also, one of my faves
    The "breaking 4th wall, within another 4th wall", math joke. Or, as some like to call it; "4thwallception".

Had me dying when Deadpool did that.

• Options
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    also, one of my faves
    The "breaking 4th wall, within another 4th wall", math joke. Or, as some like to call it; "4thwallception".

Had me dying when Deadpool did that.
    that's like 16 walls!

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It was the put a bullet in his head and fuck the brain hole. I was on the car ride home when I remembered that's from Grosse Point Blank it's what Akroyd threatens to do to John Cusack at the diner.

Loved the movie, laughed so hard at so many things, the second cab ride was a personal favorite.

OMG 2nd Cab Ride! I just started laughing remembering how that ends and I can't stop laughing ... so, thank you for that reminder <3

steam_sig.png
  • Options

OMG 2nd Cab Ride! I just started laughing remembering how that ends and I can't stop laughing ... so, thank you for that reminder <3

The whole him telling Dopinder to let that guy go while encouraging him to kill him. Collosus trapped in the back, Deadpool leaving the guns. It was awesome.

I think my favorite awful mean line was.

I left a 100 kilos of cocaine next to the cure for blindness good luck.

So many references to things, and I got all of them and yes Nega Sonic I felt old.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Climax spoilers
    Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it was a helicarrier

• Options
    Haha
    Oh man I forgot about Deadpool leaving the guns, that was great!

also, tie for favorite character was between
    old black blind lady and bartender friend

"love is blind"
    "no, you're blind"

• Options
    What I liked about close to the climax spoilers.

Forgetting the guns, was right about when Nega brought it up I was thinking that. "Wait didn't you make a big thing about bringing all your bullets and guns?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Forgetting the guns, was right about when Nega brought it up I was thinking that. "Wait didn't you make a big thing about bringing all your bullets and guns?"

Apparently this scene
    was a last minute change due to budget cuts. There was meant to be a massive gun fight, until $7 million got slashed and the scene had to be removed... so he just forgets the guns.

Makes it even funnier to me.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Apparently this scene
    was a last minute change due to budget cuts. There was meant to be a massive gun fight, until $7 million got slashed and the scene had to be removed... so he just forgets the guns.

Makes it even funnier to me.

Well ultimately I think the scene works better that way.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Collosus is a bit of cock blocker though... COME ON I SAW REYNOLDS DONG GIVE ME THIS!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Yeah, this movie was pretty much everything I expected and I loved it. The theater was packed too, which was awesome.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So, did Ikea pay for promotion in this movie, or was it just tossed in for fun?
    Cause I'm not sure if those were actual Ikea things or not.
    The only thing I ever bought at an Ikea was a plate full of meatballs. Tasty meatballs, sure, but not tasty enough to convince me to willingly re-enter that labyrinth or furniture.

see317 on