As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited September 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
Deadpool is a movie. Or a comic? I think both. Either way, wes gonna talk about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OcAlu4S-BvI
Deadpool 3 reportedly in the works already

Local H Jay on

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I've always liked Ryan Reynolds, so I'm glad he finally got to make what is essentially his passion project the right way after so long

• Options
    Spoilersh
    HOLY SHIT THIS WAS AMAZING. THAT INTRO. THAT SOUNDTRACK. THAT EDITING. THAT WRITING. SHIIIIIEEET.
    Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I never heard so much laughter in a theater. I have to see it again because I know I missed a few jokes from laughing at previous ones. Highlights include his visit to the X-Mansion, the repeated Huge Jacked-Man jokes, "That might move the plot along", and " Your poor wife!"

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This movie is peak Reynolds. The supreme distillation of the essence of Ryan Reynolds.

Climax spoilers
    I groaned when I saw that the name of the location for the climax was The Scrapyard until I saw what specific Scrapyard it was. Nice of Disney Marvel to let them fight on the corpse of a Project Insight helicarrier like that...

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    How R rated is this thing? I got the feeling watching the trailer that a lot of parents are going to take their kids to see this, thinking it's "just another superhero movie," and are going to be pretty shocked.

Reminds me of when Watchmen came out, which was thoroughly not a superhero movie, and yet parents brought their kids to see it anyway.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    How R rated is this thing? I got the feeling watching the trailer that a lot of parents are going to take their kids to see this, thinking it's "just another superhero movie," and are going to be pretty shocked.

Reminds me of when Watchmen came out, which was thoroughly not a superhero movie, and yet parents brought their kids to see it anyway.

Eh, it'll be educational - for both the kids and the parents.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It earns its R. Lots of violence, nekkid people, and cursing. Fun for the whole family.

• Options
    Honestly, this Deadpool feels like he could slide into the MCU pretty easily
    And I am sure he'd like to *wink*

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Deadpool is the bridge between universes. Theirs and ours.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    My favorite non-obvious bit was the CGI on his mask. His mask emotes like in the comics! Every superhero movie copy this, kthanxbye.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Just got back from my trip out of town to see this and it was _AWESOME_.

Some of the best parts of the evening, first time I have ever waited outside a theatre in the cold to see a movie and the others there were some nice people who struck up conversation and shared food, then invited me to sit with them to watch the movie. Never had that experience with a movie before, my fellow Deadpool watchers in Nanaimo were hella cool (except for a few people with crazy B/O) and not a underage kid in sight (or ear shot) <3

I'm definitely putting this movie on my "Buy On DVD ASAP" list.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I went to see this movie last night and I quite enjoyed it. Theatre was pretty packed for a late showing as well (even a single cosplayer, which is absolutely not common over here when you go to the movies), so the movie seems to do reasonably well for an R-rated, semi-low budget movie. Let's see if it has legs, because I want to see #2.

Storywise the movie luckily seems to dig mostly in the Joe Kelly run for most of the story beats. Wade is still a bit too sympathetic compared to Kelly's version, but the Bugs Bunny on crack from Way's run it's (mostly) not.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    also saw it last night!
    Not sure how to describe it.
    It lacked ... structure but at the same time I could have sat there for another 2 hours and just watched deadpool be deadpool.

Looking forward to 2!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I loved this movie. Sure, if you've seen the trailers, you've seen the movie (seriously, the trailers show every fight in the movie) but that's not the point. It's just like some of my favorite Deadpool comics, a easy to follow plot, goofy violence, and dick jokes from hell. Spoiling for specific stuff:
    I loved the Holiday sex stuff. Happy National Women's Day!
    Stan Lee in a strip club with naked women around? How did he not die of a heart attack?
    I loved Colossus. I liked that they didn't try to make him look realistic like most CGI stuff does and just embraced the cartoony look of him. I thought him and Angel would end the movie with a good guy/bad girl relationships, like some Batman and Catwoman thing. When her breast fell out during the fight and he let her cover up was one of his funniest moment. I really liked Angel too.
    Negasonic Teenage Warhead was meh. Her powers was underwelming.
    BOB! I hope we see more of him next movie. I love all the stuff Bob does in the comics (Shouting "Hail Hydra!" right next to Captain America like stuff) so I'm happy we saw him here.
    Vanessa was a nice love interest. She didn't run when Wade got cancer, and didn't run when she saw his ugly mug, and she didn't just stand around waiting to get recursed. She got her shot on Ajax. She was the right kind of crazy for his crazy.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

I'm taking my son to see it. But we know Deadpool. We've read the comics, played the game, and had the wife walk in and recoil in horror at what we were laughing at.

At his age, I was watching Robocop, Predator, and Friday the 13th. Damn uptight puritan beliefs can suck my freshly shaved cherry danglers till they're freshly juiced on their unkempt flavor savors.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

I'm taking my son to see it. But we know Deadpool. We've read the comics, played the game, and had the wife walk in and recoil in horror at what we were laughing at.

At his age, I was watching Robocop, Predator, and Friday the 13th. Damn uptight puritan beliefs can suck my freshly shaved cherry danglers till they're freshly juiced on their unkempt flavor savors.

Does your son know what a strap on is?

If not, are you prepared to explain it to him?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Does your son know what a strap on is?

If not, are you prepared to explain it to him?

I think he does, fucking Steam chat/Xbox live. And Cracked articles. He read the one about the guy who had his junk removed due to cancer, so he and his wife had to go buy one so he could still please her.

Heartbreaking article.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    The strap on bit is probably the part most parents will be concerned about on the sex front.

The massively graphic meaty chunks flying off dying people is probably the part most parents will have issue with on the violence front.

If you're ok with both then have fun with your son.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Turns out there's a second post-credits scene they didn't have on the advance screenings. Don't follow Deadpool's advice in the first one!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Luckily the second post credit scene comes very shortly after the first, so even if you started to leave after the first one, you wouldn't get out of the theater before the second one started.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Taking my son to see this tonight (he's 17). At this point my wife said that it's my turn to have awkward moments sitting beside him as she had taken him to see Wolf of Wall Street (there was a lot of awkward silence in the car after I picked them up from that one).

Also, and I know I'm asking a lot, but I read the original leaked script years ago and I need to know going into this.

Don't clicky the spoiler if you have not seen this movie and please answer in spoilers.
    Is there a t-rex joke with him punching Colossus?!

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Taking my son to see this tonight (he's 17). At this point my wife said that it's my turn to have awkward moments sitting beside him as she had taken him to see Wolf of Wall Street (there was a lot of awkward silence in the car after I picked them up from that one).

Also, and I know I'm asking a lot, but I read the original leaked script years ago and I need to know going into this.

Don't clicky the spoiler if you have not seen this movie and please answer in spoilers.

To your spoiler: Yes. Actually one of the funniest bits.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »

To your spoiler: Yes. Actually one of the funniest bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    So my screening didn't have the extra scene at the end, can someone tell me what it was?

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Thoughts on the movie:

Spoilered for plot points.....
    I really enjoyed it. I can't believe that movie got made! And i dont mean that in a bad way. There was definitely some legendary parts in there, but i sorta kinda wish they'd have laid off the "fuck" jokes a bit more. Not that i have an issue with cursing, but sometimes you have to be a bit more clever with humor when you cant go right for the dick jokes. That being said, i havent laughed that much at a movie in a loooooong time. So many great one liners. The knife through the head was unexpected and hilarious too. The folks (Reynolds specifically) really have a love for the source material and it shows.
    The movie did drag in the middle for me. The stuff with him getting worked on was just a bit slow. Still, that a minor gripe. I loved it, and will see it again. 8.5 of 10 for me. Maybe a 9 the more i think about it.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    So my screening didn't have the extra scene at the end, can someone tell me what it was?

This is from memory and it was late last night:
    First scene: Deadpool appears, tells people to go home. The movie is over. If they were expecting a trailer for the next, they don't have the budget for that.

Second scene: Deadpool reappears, tells people that if there were to be a 2nd movie, it will definitely have Cable. Not sure who's going to play it yet. Possibilities mentioned: Mel Gibson, Dolph Lundgren or Keira Knightley (she has range!). Now go home.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »

This is from memory and it was late last night:
    First scene: Deadpool appears, tells people to go home. The movie is over. If they were expecting a trailer for the next, they don't have the budget for that.

Second scene: Deadpool reappears, tells people that if there were to be a 2nd movie, it will definitely have Cable. Not sure who's going to play it yet. Possibilities mentioned: Mel Gibson, Dolph Lundgren or Keira Knightley (she has range!). Now go home.
    Ok, so I did see that. I thought there was something beyond the Ferris Bueller gag.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Deadpool, for me, was a movie of many many many highs and a few lows. The pacing was a little uneven in bits, but the fact that it exists in the first place is a minor miracle in and of itself. There is a real "everyone on this production DESPERATELY wants this to get made and be good" aura about the whole production, and it shows.

Top-tier Fox Marvel movie, easily.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I mean, if you really want to be picky there's not much plot, the end turns into a tired damsel in distress thing and Wade Wilson is pretty much Deadpool already before he gets his powers.

But the whole thing is slathered in so much Deadpooly goodness it's easy to not care.

• Options
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Luckily the second post credit scene comes very shortly after the first, so even if you started to leave after the first one, you wouldn't get out of the theater before the second one started.

I missed both.

So that's a bummer.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Storywise the movie luckily seems to dig mostly in the Joe Kelly run for most of the story beats. Wade is still a bit too sympathetic compared to Kelly's version, but the Bugs Bunny on crack from Way's run it's (mostly) not.

Yes!! This is what I wanted to hear. That run made me a Deadpool fan.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I saw it this afternoon since I am on a mini-vacation.

It was a riot. So good. I loved it and the silliness. Yeah some of the stuff has been shown in the trailers but the real meat is Ryan Reynolds eating up the screen with stupid and amazing at the same time.

I was broken by...(joke spoilers)
    The Jared jokes. Oh god the foot long one when he catches Agent Smith. I was dying.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

For some perspective (since they're focusing on the record for R rating), GOTG did $11.2m on Thursday night in August when kids were off of school, plus it was in 3D.

Deadpool, on a Thursday night in February, did better than GOTG did in the summer.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

For some perspective (since they're focusing on the record for R rating), GOTG did $11.2m on Thursday night in August when kids were off of school, plus it was in 3D.

Deadpool, on a Thursday night in February, did better than GOTG did in the summer.

Well, Guardians of the Galaxy was predicted to be Marvel Studio's first flop before the first screenings while Deadpool was hyped up like crazy.

• Options
    Deadpool doing better than any MCU movie is a pretty big deal I think

Hope this means Deadpool 2 has a bigger budget

• Options
    I dunno, I remember Guardians was hyped up like crazy too. The ooga chaka trailer really sold it.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    If Deadpool 2 gets a much larger budget I'm hoping the stakes don't get raised to world changing events like the rest of the movies.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    If Deadpool 2 gets a much larger budget I'm hoping the stakes don't get raised to world changing events like the rest of the movies.
    Deadpool 2 is going to get a bigger budget - and probably a world-ending threat - because Fox has been trying to figure out how to use Cable on the screen. With Deadpool doing well, they've now got the perfect springboard for Cable.

• Options
    Guardians had the advantage of being a MCU movie, which many people see by default, while Deadpool is "From the studio that brought you X3 and Fant4isc"

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    This is the damn Deadpool movie Ryan Reynolds deserves!
    The shade thrown at Green Lantern. Breaking the Fourth wall. The movie's constant shots fired at "Wolverine: Origins".

This is a day one Blue Ray purchase on Amazon for muah!