As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
splatoon.jpg

Welcome to Splatoon, the 3rd person ink shooter, exclusive to the Wii U!

Game Modes!

At it's core, Splatoon is a shooter. Unlike most shooters though, kills aren't your primary objective. In most modes, enemy kills aren't the most important factor in winning. No, you'll be wanting to cover the map in your team's ink. At the end of the round, the ink coverage is tallied up and a winner declared.

Making things more interesting, you can change from a human form to a squid form. In human form, you can run and shoot...basically, what you'd expect from most shooters. With the touch of a button, you can morph into squid form and have access to a completely different set of abilities. While you can't shoot, you move extremely fast by swimming in your own ink. Hell, you can even swim up ink covered walls to gain access to new areas or launch surprise attacks from behind! More importantly, squid form is the only way to refill your ink ammo.

You'll need to balance swapping forms in order to be effective!

Single Player:

There is a short, single player campaign mode in Splatoon called Hero Mode. You'll need to talk to Cap'n Cuttlefish in order to access this mode. It consists of several levels spread out over a few worlds. You'll be going head to head against the evil Octarians. You can use this mode to get a feel for how the game works and experience the story. But you'll mostly be using this mode to prepare for the meat of the game in multiplayer mode.

This mode also offers unique mechanics and gameplay elements that you won't find in multiplayer. You'll only be able to use the Splattershot weapon unless you've got a Splatoon amiibo.

Multiplayer:

This is the main draw of the game. You'll find several different game modes here, but the biggest one will be Turf War. Judd the Cat, who lives in Inkopolis Plaza, will be the judge over all multiplayer matches.

Map Pool

Here's a list of all the stages in the game!

Local Co-Op:

There is a 1v1 local, co-op mode called Battle Dojo. Two players battle it out to see who can destroy the most balloons before the time expires. One player uses the Wii U gamepad and the other a Pro Controller and the TV.

WiiU_Splatoon_charset_01.jpg

Weapons Galore!

In Splatoon your Inkling can equip lots of weapons and gear. The weapons are a primary, which come in three types, and a secondary. At this time, all equipment sets are set and can't be interchanged.

Here's a list of all the primary, secondary, sub, and special weapons in the game!

Splatoon-Gets-New-Details-on-Shops-and-Weapons-470838-7.jpg

Shopping and Style!

While covering things in ink is important, you gotta make sure you do it in style. Splatoon has a hub world with several different shops selling gear. Maybe you want new shoes or a hat? Tired of that shirt? Buy a new one!

The hub town also contains squid opponents that you recently battled online. If you talk to them, you can see their gear and equipment. One nice feature is that you can easily order their gear with the touch of a button. Also, you can use the touch screen to quickly jump from one place to another. Handy!

Finally, all your gear comes equipped with upgrades and abilities. These are randomly assigned at first, but can be upgraded/changed around later.

Shop owners and their stores:

Annie is a sea urchin, and the owner of Cooler Heads in Booyah Base. (Head Gear)
Crusty Sean is a shrimp who owns Shrimp Kicks in Booyah Base. (Shoe Gear)
Jelonzo is a jellyfish who owns Jelly Fresh in Booyah Base. (Clothing Gear)
Sheldon is a horseshoe crab who owns Ammo Knights in Booyah Base. (Weapons)
Spyke lives in Inkopolis Plaza and aids Inklings with upgrading gear. (Upgrades/Abilities)

For a full list of the upgrades available, check out this image below (spoilered for huge):
splatoon-abilities-529x1200.jpg?44d51a

amiibo-splatoon-1.jpg

amiibo Functionality

You can use special Splatoon amiibo to enhance your gameplay experience. Simply swipe one onto your Wii U gamepad and you'll unlock a series of challenges for the single player mode. Most of the challenges consist of defeating a stage using a different default weapon like the Charger or Roller. Finishing these challenges gives you access to unique gear, such as a school girl uniform or samurai armor. Each of the three amiibo unlock different stuff.

In addition to new gear, each amiibo offers a new 8-bit mini-game to play during loading and lobby screens.

Oh and don't worry if you don't have the amiibo. The gear is mostly cosmetic and doesn't provide access to unique skills or powers. They do have more unlocked ability slots, which will certainly help out of the gate, but that won't make a difference in the long run.

gt_splatoon_nintendo_treehouse_demonstration.jpg?

PA Friend List

If you'd like to join the ever-growing Splatoon friend list, please PM your information to me. Try and send the information to me as shown below (Forum name/Wii U name) so I can easily copy/paste it. If you don't, I'll still post your name but perhaps give you a stern talking to....or embarrass you in the thread. ;)

MNC Dover/MNC.Dover
Lord_Asmodeus/Drol_Asmodeus
The Wolfman/the_wolfman64
skeldare/skeldare
Dark Raven X/DRX-777
Reynolds/RadSuit
Man of the Waves/BuckarooHoliday
BlueBlue/BlueBlue
Mblackwell/Mblackwell
Maz-/Maz_PA
McFlynn/McFlynn
Incindium/Incindium
Kaimaka/Kaimaka
HallowedFaith/Cloudbomb
WotanAnubis / Wotan-Anubis
Zython/zython
Johnny Chopsocky/JohnnyChopsocky
Warlock82/Warlock
NotoriusBEN/NBen
PirateLuigi/PirateLuigi
no great name/sirtoons
Lindsay Logan/n8littlefield
MegaMek/MekRedd
Tcheldor/Tortalius
Kupi/KupiYupaekio
Rami / W-S-D-X
UncleSporky/unclesporky
BronzeKoopa/hyrulefd
jkylefulton/majpell
The Zombie Penguin/azombiepenguin
McFodder/Fodder185
Capt Howdy/KayleSolo
warder808/Rezin808
darunia106/Pirate_Burger
Sir Fabulous/Nash96
Elaro/ElaroLVI
Hakkekage/Hakkekage
Rehab/Rehab0
MrBlarney / MrBlarney

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I must admit that I've been away from Splatoon for a long time now and haven't gotten any of the updates on the new weapons or maps. This makes the OP horribly out of date. Anyone care to help me update it or provide links to the most current information?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Going to try and work my way out of the B+ gutter and back up to an A- Rank today I think.

Sorry that you guys have to find out like this, but I'll be okay.

NNID: Rehab0
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    For one thing the E-Liter 3K doesn't come with the Bubbler, its special is the Echolocator. I'm away from the computer, but this page has weapon info in a similar format to the OP.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    For one thing the E-Liter 3K doesn't come with the Bubbler, its special is the Echolocator. I'm away from the computer, but this page has weapon info in a similar format to the OP.

Updated the OP with those wiki links.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I am forever stuck in a B+ to A- Rank limbo, can't remember how many times I changed ranks between the two.

Has anyone else been having a lot of disconnect issues lately?

I might just be suffering internet service issues like poor Hakkekage, but its been rather frequent.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »

I might just be suffering internet service issues like poor Hakkekage, but its been rather frequent.

I have and I have a pretty sexy connection.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Here's your usual reminder that Splatfest is starting in about an hour and a half for those of us living in the US. If you live in the EU region it has already started.

edited February 2016
      About to dive into the Splatfest with a fully upgraded shirt this time.

Recently made it back up to an A- rank and even got a high score in Squid Jump of 32,432 so I'm feeling pretty good about things going in. Go Blue Team!

Rehab on
    • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      Yes, go my team
      the red team

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
      A traitor to your name, BlueBlue.

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
      it is more like the name is a traitor to pokemon red

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
      Going to try and work my way out of the B+ gutter and back up to an A- Rank today I think.

Sorry that you guys have to find out like this, but I'll be okay.

;-; I can barely stay in B+

I am not good at this game

(Go team blue)

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
      NNID: Hakkekage
      TimFiji wrote: »

I have and I have a pretty sexy connection.

I have been disconnecting frequently even with opening up ports and directly connecting Wii U to the router with an adaptor

Taint moi fault

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
      edited February 2016
      Had fun earlier today, having terrible connection problems now. I just reset after dropping four in a row, hope that helps.

And now i get into the plaza without any splatfest at all. That's not good...

Mr Khan on
    • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
      I chose Team Pokémon Blue for Spatfest and have been winning most of my matches against Red Team squads and losing most of the matches against Blue Team squads. I would like to say this bodes well for the Blue Team, but I've been wrong about this in the past, many times at that.

Also, you guys can count me as being part of the B+/A- limbo club, I've been stuck there for months. I feel like I'm steadily getting closer to A Rank, but I don't think I'm ready for it. No, I know I'm not ready for it. But I want to get there nonetheless!

4463rwiq7r47.png
      I haven't achieved the ranking just yet today, but I already saw the missed opportunity.

No Team Pokémon Blue and Red Nidoking or Nidoqueen.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
      Mr Khan wrote: »
      Had fun earlier today, having terrible connection problems now. I just reset after dropping four in a row, hope that helps.

And now i get into the plaza without any splatfest at all. That's not good...

I'm relieved to know I wasn't the only one having connection problems. I've since stopped playing; I made Defender, and that's about what I aspire for every Splatfest.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
      Steam: TimIsOnSteam
      Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
      Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
      PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
      Made it to Queen on two accounts. But holy shit, this Splatfest is the worst when it comes to disconnects...I normally have very few connection issues but this one was terribad. I don't know whether that was because of Nintendo holding all the Splatfests at nearly the same time (it got better as each region ended) or my teammates (so many laggy NA players...I'll take the average Japanese players any day).

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      I also got annoyed with this splatfest. Got to defender but so many disconnects I just stopped.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        I got to Queen and shockingly had only a few disconnects

@MNC Dover can i join the PA best friends forever list in OP? I am, shockingly, Hakkekage/Hakkekage. Desperate for new best friends. Be my friend. Please.

Maybe play with me sometime so I can get better and stop being a B squid scrub finally

In return, I will give you...ugly miiverse posts

its a great deal come one come all

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
        The regions being run simultaneously was probably the issue, because yeah, you would assume over time the player base would decrease and Nintendo's netcode savvy would increase so that each splatfest would be smoother than the one before it.

I did end up getting to Champion when the game started letting me play. Cleaned up with the basic Jet Squelcher, as the stages this time had a lot of vantage points, and now i'm using motion controls so my ability to pinpoint has increased significantly.

Hakkekage wrote: »
        I got to Queen and shockingly had only a few disconnects

@MNC Dover can i join the PA best friends forever list in OP? I am, shockingly, Hakkekage/Hakkekage. Desperate for new best friends. Be my friend. Please.

Maybe play with me sometime so I can get better and stop being a B squid scrub finally

In return, I will give you...ugly miiverse posts

its a great deal come one come all

I'll do the Ranked w/Friends battling with you some time! I haven't gotten to play with anyone here yet myself but have been thinking about jumping in lately.

And yeah, you can add me to the list as well Mr Dover. My NNID is Rehab0.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
        I haven't splatted in several months and I'm a little intimidated about coming back to fourteen new maps and 10^35 new cosmetics

Steam: Cilantr0
        3DS: 0447-9966-6178
        Once you get past all of Sheldon's blabbering you'll be fine.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
        Once you get past all of Sheldon's blabbering you'll be fine.

But wait, there's more!

Maintaining an S rank is far more stressful than I anticipated.

Wait, I thought if you reached S rank you couldn't rank down from it?

edited February 2016
        Your rank doesn't change in squads if you are S/S+, it does in solo queue.

Barrakketh on

It only moves by +/- 5 at a time, but oh, the terror...

tumblr_o2pmofyC1Y1u3akyno1_1280.jpg
        Oh no
        we've crossed the event horizon

there is no return from this folks splatoon is now just another Hat Game just look at this timeline
        May 21st, 2009 Patch
        First Hats added to TF2

January 27, 2010 Patch
        The Towering Pillar of Hats was added to the game.

January 2014:
        GGywhzu.png

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
        vxgea89ui0id.jpg

Can't stop the splattin'.
        Breaking news from the Squid Research Lab! Following the latest Nintendo Direct presentation, we learned that distribution of additional updates for Splatoon will be continued for a little longer. We hope you’re looking forward to these updates from now through this summer. The first update arrives next week, on March 8th!

The first update will include the adjustment of some Gear Abilities, as well as additional Splatfest elements. For full deets, check out the support page!
        The second update will arrive in two phases and will add Sheldon’s Picks - weapon combo recommendations from the horseshoe crab himself!

Each set contains new weapon combos which Sheldon carefully selected and modified based off of existing weapons, such as the “Wasabi Splattershot” and “Fresh Squiffer.” Will you discover new strats with the new combos?

Page doesn't seem to be up yet.

persona4celestia.jpg
        COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
        edited March 2016
        Japanese patch notes are up, though. From what I've read thus far:
        • Both Ink Savers and Ink Recovery are getting buffed, it looks like it might be the cap if you stack them (and probably tweaks to diminishing returns). Ink Saver (Main) goes from 40 -> 45 percent, Ink Saver (Sub) from 25 -> 35 percent, Ink Recovery from 67 -> 82 percent.
        • Tenacity: Special Gauge fills 20% faster than it used to.
        • Haunt: Can also see enemy attack, defense, and run speed when they are marked.
        • Recon: Lasts for 3.5 seconds after leaving spawn, also shows enemy weapons on the minimap.
        • Bomb Sniffer: Bombs that don't 1HKO you deal 40% less damage, Burst Bombs deal 20% less damage (E-Liter haters rejoice!).
        • Last Ditch Effort: In Ranked it kicks in when the enemy counter hits 30 and lasts through overtime. You also get Quick Respawn buffs in addition to ink efficiency.
        • Some matchmaking changes for Splatfest, also takes into account your Ranked...rank. Among other things.
        • Comeback: Build special faster when active

I *think* there is less delay when you use Killer Wail and Inkstrike before you regain full control of your inkling.

Barrakketh on
        I've been using recon lately because after respawning it's really useful to see which paths the enemy team are pushing towards so I can plan flanks, that buff sounds really cool.

English patch notes have been posted.

The biggest change?
        Object placement in Regular Battle for the following stages will be changed to match that in Splat Zones.
        • Arowana Mall
        • Moray Towers
        If that means what I think it means (namely that side path to the sniper perch), FINALLY!

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
        The Splatfest match-making changes sound interesting.

During Splatfests what was previously the Vibe Meter will now display your Splatfest Power.
        Initial Splatfest Power level depends upon your current Ranked Battle rank.
        Splatfest Power level will change depending on wins or losses during Splatfest Battles.
        The player with the highest Splatfest Power on the winning team will receive a slightly larger boost to their Splatfest Power than their teammates after the match.
        Until now, Splatfest matchmaking favored grouping players with similar play styles. Players will now be more likely to play with those of similar Splatfest Power level.
        The higher a team’s average Splatfest Power level, the more Splatfest Points they will earn after winning.

persona4celestia.jpg
        COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
        Barrakketh wrote: »
        [*]Tenacity: Special Gauge fills 20% faster than it used to.
        [*]Last Ditch Effort: In Ranked it kicks in when the enemy counter hits 30 and lasts through overtime. You also get Quick Respawn buffs in addition to ink efficiency.
        [*]Comeback: Build special faster when active[/list]

It's everything I ever wanted.

I'm just sad I can't have them all at the same time.

Wow, I had been running Recon anyway... like four months ago when I was playing, but still. Did the meta shift to Recon not being favored, or was I just a rarity in the first place?

Molybdenum wrote: »
        Wow, I had been running Recon anyway... like four months ago when I was playing, but still. Did the meta shift to Recon not being favored, or was I just a rarity in the first place?
        Rarity in the first place. I couldn't (and still can't) think of a good use for it, and Cold Blooded was too damned good compared to every other clothing option. I either run some form of ability perk or Cold Blooded depending on the weapon I'm running...short ranged weapons (rollers and brushes especially) practically need it when Echolocators are in play.

Unfortunately is still doesn't work unless you've been to spawn recently (from either dying or super jumping), but now you have more information that can be helpful when super jumping to a teammate. Like if they are in range of a charger (and the buff means you know it is a charger) or whether you'll actually be able to help that teammate out...because a short ranged weapon probably shouldn't trying to butt heads with a .96, Squelcher, or Dynamo.

One possible buff might be to show the weapons on the gamepad when an enemy has Haunt/Echolocator on them if it doesn't already do that.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
        The thing about Recon is that 98% of players will be spreading their ink over the enemy team's ink at every opportunity they have. Therefore, if you're standing at spawn, looking at the minimap, and trying to figure out which teammate to Super Jump to, you've already got a very strong indicator of the enemy's position. Recon is mostly redundant with changes in ink coverage, certainly not worth a Main Slot considered on its own, and certainly not compared to Cold Blooded (which still remains the competitive standard despite nerfs).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.