As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Jet Squelcher all the way up at level 17...

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Foggy salmon runs can go get fucked.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    What does the Salmon run even get you? I didn't see that it had any reward structure from the outside.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    So um. Am I really just this bad or is it because I haven't earned anything besides the basic gun yet. Because the three matches I've played of turf war my team (and me) has gotten absolutely thwomped.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    What does the Salmon run even get you? I didn't see that it had any reward structure from the outside.

you earn points on a scale that give you some random and some set rewards as you progress. The rewards range from gear and money to even ability chunks and food tickets

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    So um. Am I really just this bad or is it because I haven't earned anything besides the basic gun yet. Because the three matches I've played of turf war my team (and me) has gotten absolutely thwomped.

Me too. I at least feel like I can contribute if I use the roller. I've started trying to learn the other guns, but it's a rough process.

• Options
    nusu wrote: »

Me too. I at least feel like I can contribute if I use the roller. I've started trying to learn the other guns, but it's a rough process.

I don't know how it is it's happened but I keep getting put on the left corner of art academy and I never even see the rest of my team. The best coverage I've seen is 30%. I'm basically a total splat noob but damn.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Am I going crazy or does the roller kind of suck now? Six games in a row with it and my team lost, and I did particularly badly. Switch to a normal gun, and I do much better. Don't see many people using it either.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Art Academy's a ... interesting... level.

Like, I think it's fine, but it's so huge. I think it's really built for objective modes in mind, like Tower Control.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Ok, so, rounds are very fast. I've since won and even felt like I was contributing significantly the last three rounds. So, maybe just starting to grok the game, I guess.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So if I claim a bonus from the salmon run it doesn't spend my points? It just keeps going up the ladder? Was afraid to do it cause the points are slow and I want the shirt.

Edit: also soooo tired of people quitting just as games start. 4 losses in a row with 3 players on my team.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Kinda?

You keep your title and pay grade, but I was under the impression that points filling the meter reset every hiring period. The meter doesn't reset when you actually pick up your bonuses, though, which is what I think you were asking.

Granted, points start coming faster if you're actually completing shifts and getting raises.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The roller isn't necessarily bad. I think ti's more that people grasped how to counter them easier.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Cannot not anything with the stingray special, could they have given us some kind of sights/cursor for it? Also who or what is this "Woomy" thing that's on a bunch of drawings in the plaza...

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Amazon floundered and my copy arrived a day late. Now I have to wait until Monday to get the game I preordered months in advance for what reason still escapes me.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The roller isn't necessarily bad. I think ti's more that people grasped how to counter them easier.

Simple things like backing away and remembering to jump when they get close go a long way. Jumping you can do one of two things: give yourself a split second longer to splat them, or jump over them entirely (and then run away or splat them).

Every weapon has a weakness.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    Roe wrote: »
    Amazon floundered and my copy arrived a day late. Now I have to wait until Monday to get the game I preordered months in advance for what reason still escapes me.

If you are a prime member/had release day shipping and complain they will give you store credit generally.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    We should get together for some matches tonight, now that we can.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Splat umbrella is dope! Favorite 'fun' weapon right now. Dual Splatties for turf war but I could see myself switching around to umbrella. ESPECIALLY if there is a loadout with the hamster ball.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cannot not anything with the stingray special, could they have given us some kind of sights/cursor for it? Also who or what is this "Woomy" thing that's on a bunch of drawings in the plaza...

Can stop shooting to reaim. I suspect its better in modes other than turf war.

Tower mode? Nail the whole capture area from behind cover for instance.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I'm in some matches with @Conn right now, come join up!

Edit: noooo an 8 game unbeaten run is over. Curse you Conn!

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular

Maybe we should start organizing Splaturdays, find a few times that work for EU groups and US groups, and get some salmon run and team/friend battles in.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Can stop shooting to reaim. I suspect its better in modes other than turf war.

Tower mode? Nail the whole capture area from behind cover for instance.

You could always just point it at choke points to keep people at bay, or at the enemy spawn to keep people from re-entering the battle.

• Options
    Alright, got up to 10 match win streak. That seems like a good point to call it quits for today. By the way, you no longer get cash for win streaks, but rather a hefty experience bonus when you hit certain thresholds.

Also, I'm kinda warming up to the Tenta Missiles. Their biggest strength might actually be scouting out where all the opponents are - killing any of them with the missiles is just a bonus.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    nusu wrote: »

Maybe we should start organizing Splaturdays, find a few times that work for EU groups and US groups, and get some salmon run and team/friend battles in.

Then we could do Fight Night Fridays for ARMS, Splatoon Splaturday's, and still have Sunday Driving for Mario Kart. All the major Switch multiplayer games would be represented! It's perfect!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    rqOElgU.jpg

So, the paint bucket is really clicking for me. Amazing coverage, and nothing feels better than when some jerk is taking potshots from an upper ledge on their side you can't get up to and you can just pelt them with gobs of ink anyway. And a close-range bucket v. roller fight is amazingly tense.
    Edit: Also, I can be in for Splaturday, I just have to wait til I put my kiddo down for bed. If people are still on around 8:30-9pm ET I may join up.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I am a Big Fan of the slosher. Never played another game that's given me the specific feeling of satisfaction that comes with bringing ruin to my enemies with a bucket.

About that green arrow in the lobby menu that goes up and down with wins and losses: does anyone know if it has any practical effect, or is it just a way of visualizing your short term performance? Do you get any rewards for reaching a certain value?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    yeah it's streak, you get bonus xp at certain checkpoints is my understanding

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I notice that the roller picks up speed after rolling for a second or two, which I don't think it used to do in Splatoon 1.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I unlocked salmon run and it lumped with the slosher and holy fuck this is a useless weapon I don't understand it at all

it's the splat from the roller with nothing else??

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What does a win streak do in 2? I talked to Judd and there's no money bonus like in Splatoon 1.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Looking at the first three or four hits for "splatoon 2 win streak" on Google, all I've managed to ascertain is a vague hint that it applies to per-match EXP gains. So the more consecutive wins you have, the more each subsequent win is worth.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    I unlocked salmon run and it lumped with the slosher and holy fuck this is a useless weapon I don't understand it at all

it's the splat from the roller with nothing else??

The Slosher is great, though I'm not sure yet if it really shines in Salmon Run. It's definitely more useful than the Blaster though, that's for sure.

• Options
    What does a win streak do in 2? I talked to Judd and there's no money bonus like in Splatoon 1.

I think at certain level thresholds you get a freshness bonus. I just got one after a match and I got 1000p extra on top of the win bonus. Though I don't entirely grok how it works or what metric it's using when it decides it wants to give you this.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Ok where is the scroll on sector 2 stage 7, back-alley cleanup. The one with the giant squeegees. Ran through it 3 times so far.

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Feels good to get back into playing Splatoon. Fortunately, because I haven't played for a while, I think I've completely gotten over the switching of the Jump button from X to B. I think I even played a couple Turf War matches with @BronzeKoopa just through the random matchmaking. I'm looking forward to unlocking the longer-ranged shooters and getting into Ranked Mode, getting to level 10 might be longer than I thought it was going to take. Also, Salmon Run is crazy. I got to Go-Getter rank and since then only won one game in Freelance mode. In that game, three of us got splatted a few seconds before the wave ending. There were tons of booyahs and jumping ring buoys dancing around the collection basket after the game was over.
    Beezel wrote: »

I think at certain level thresholds you get a freshness bonus. I just got one after a match and I got 1000p extra on top of the win bonus. Though I don't entirely grok how it works or what metric it's using when it decides it wants to give you this.
    The first threshold is at 5 points on a weapon; while the weapon is Dry ranked, you get +1 point for a win and -0.5 points for a loss.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The Inkbrush just dropped.

Also, because I didn't know so I tried: You can't eat more than one crusty buff at a time but if you want a new one you can choose to replace the current one.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    i just found out you can jump while inkjetting to get extra height

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Switched to a roller and got absolutely destroyed, only match i won was one where the other team ended up a squid down.

I've noticed i don't see any rollers on opposing teams either. Could've been the stage choice, but they seem to have lost popularity (from my two day sample of battles).

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Incautious rollers tend to get splatted hard by anyone that has experience from Splatoon 1. Gotta close the distance and catch the enemy with their pants down for those delicious 1-shot shotgun blasts.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow