Options

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Kupi wrote: »
    The thing about Recon is that 98% of players will be spreading their ink over the enemy team's ink at every opportunity they have. Therefore, if you're standing at spawn, looking at the minimap, and trying to figure out which teammate to Super Jump to, you've already got a very strong indicator of the enemy's position. Recon is mostly redundant with changes in ink coverage, certainly not worth a Main Slot considered on its own, and certainly not compared to Cold Blooded (which still remains the competitive standard despite nerfs).

This may be something that you just develop without Recon with more playing, but the area I've found that Recon helps a good bit is in determining exactly how many enemies are in particular areas. Sometimes if you see two areas where ink is spreading its difficult to tell if one of those two areas has three enemies working together there, etc. You can tell if this guy you're about to go after is being covered by one of his buddies, etc.

Winky on
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    They're not changing one of my biggest issues with Splatfest: there's only one track, and the music gets old.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I always found Recon useful for breaking the inevitable teamwipe steamrolls. I.e. everything is enemy ink anyway and you just need to know which way avoids the spawncamp.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    They're not changing one of my biggest issues with Splatfest: there's only one track, and the music gets old.

Lies.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Lies.

Nope, still gets old. And what's worse is that I can't selectively turn off the music and keep the game SFX so I could play some alternate music, which is something I'd like to see in a patch.

That or they need to write some more Squid Sisters songs.
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I always found Recon useful for breaking the inevitable teamwipe steamrolls. I.e. everything is enemy ink anyway and you just need to know which way avoids the spawncamp.
    You still need to ink your way out unless you're using a brush (rollers are too slow). On the maps where it is easy to spawn camp (Urchin Underpass, Blackbelly Skatepark, Port Mackerel, Camp Triggerfish, and Ancho-V Games come to mind) there is really no way around the campers and you have to go through them.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Mblackwell wrote: »

Lies.

Nope, still gets old. And what's worse is that I can't selectively turn off the music and keep the game SFX so I could play some alternate music, which is something I'd like to see in a patch.

If nothing else, play the current Splatfest track in the first game of every session during the event, and just use the regular rotation for every game after. More tracks specific to Splatfest would be ideal, though, yes.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I still love the little touch of how you can hear the muffled version of the Splatfest song if you're out on the firing range.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    You're such a mean mean mother...
    We all agree those are the lyrics, right?

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Once you get past all of Sheldon's blabbering you'll be fine.

But wait, there's more!

update: it took seven minutes to read through all 23 weapons

I couldn't process any more information after about ten or twelve of them. The first dozen or so were "oh okay so that's an interesting Kraken pairing" or "deco ... nouveau ... Mk. II?" but then I lost track of what I I was even interested in.

And then of course I played eight rounds using the same old tentatek splattershot because that's the only thing I ever use.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »

This.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2016

Also this:
    As of December 31st:

Splatoon – 4.06 million units (1.37 million units in Japan, 2.7 million units in Europe/North America)

Source: Nintendo financials (Feb. 2)

I really hope the sequel is already in the works for the NX. <3

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Also this:
    As of December 31st:

Splatoon – 4.06 million units (1.37 million units in Japan, 2.7 million units in Europe/North America)

Source: Nintendo financials (Feb. 2)

I really hope the sequel is already in the works for the NX. <3
    I'm fine if they hold off on it since I'm not likely to be an early adopter this time around.

Besides, the game hadn't even been out for a year so I'm not really seeing the need for a sequel at this point.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Do you think they will have pants in the sequel
    I feel like it is the obvious "next level"

Kind of surprised they didn't do the play as octolings thing - I really felt they were building up to it with that one guy code spelunking and them putting octoling squidforms on the squidnet page or whatever it was

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh and NA is Snowman vs Sandcastle

yc64qib3bfuu.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The European one is really difficult to choose, but sand castles all the way.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

We got hoverboards, and they're REALLY disappointing. Team Jetpack.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

We got hoverboards, and they're REALLY disappointing. Team Jetpack.

We've technically had jetpacks since the 60's too. They're not really feasible.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    In case anyone hasn't seen the new Splatfest UI...

q17PZ6x.jpg?1
    3ut5tzo.jpg?1
    One of our interns has learned that starting with this Splatfest, you may notice some small improvements and differences!
    During Splatfest, what was previously the Vibe Meter will now display your Splatfest Power. Your initial Splatfest Power level depends upon your current Ranked Battle rank, and your Splatfest Power level will change depending on wins or losses during Splatfest Battles.
    The player with the highest Splatfest Power on the winning team will receive a slightly larger boost to their Splatfest Power than their teammates after the match.
    Also – until now, Splatfest matchmaking favored grouping players with similar play styles. Players will now be more likely to play with those of similar Splatfest Power level. The higher a team’s average Splatfest Power level, the more Splatfest Points they will earn after winning.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Do you think they'll ever release Sheldon's unique M16-ish splat rifle from the shooting range as a purchaseable weapon?
    Maybe as part of these Sheldon's picks patches?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My Splatfest team choice is easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-zXT5bIBM0

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    #TeamOlaf

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Snow sucks. The heat of summer sucks at the beach.

I'd rather play in the rain in spring.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    But you can go to the beach any time of the year. If the summer heat is too much you could also go during any other season...hell, our "winter" had plenty of days where the highs were in the upper 70s (felt a lot warmer because of the sun).

• Options
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    After the new Ranked matchmaking system was updated in the most recent patch, I've been finding my play suffering. Being at A-, it's really kind of hard to have to play against stronger players so consistently. I ended up deranking down to B+ in the most ridiculous fashion. I think I lost six straight matches starting from A- 32. I just kept on getting put on teams opposite one or two A+ players without equivalently skilled players on my own team, so I just kept on losing four and six points every match. I'd like to try ranking back up before the next Splatfest since the starting power is based on Rank. If it's been hard for me to stay at A-, it might be easy for me to get out of B+. On the other hand, it's possible that I could put together some relatively easy wins by starting at a lower Splatfest Power if I decide to stay at B+ for the time being.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I have made my choice

WVW69jASq_IfshmHCc

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Snowman is the only right choice.

If I'm in an environment in which sand castles can be built, I'm not gonna be building a sand castle. I'm gonna be swimming.

But snowman conditions can potentially only be right for snowmen, depending on how many viable sleddin' hills you have nearby.

So, snowman, because a snowman is a thing I might actually want to make.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I was going to skip it, but i played tonight because i got home too late to play Fire Emblem, so now i'm roped in. Might as well see the new system, Fire Emblem will be there on Sunday.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I didn't feel like playing in this splat fest. I feel sad :( first time ever.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      I felt like playing but had commitments (family did Easter shit today and mother needed help), so I didn't get to play until late at night. Sadly some disconnects between rounds broke up good teams and running into a few very spotty ones (usually had one dead weight player...probably passable inking but couldn't splat a fly) meant that I didn't make it to queen before the Splatfest ended...was around 60/99 when the polls closed.

Unfortunately this marks the first Splatfest that I didn't rank up to queen. On the bright side, my team won.

• Options
      Camp Triggerfish is triggerfishing me

• Options
      BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      So post splatfest I decide to do a few rounds after I get my sea snails. Predictably the only ones playing at this time are Japanese players, mostly level 50s. Here's some insane things they do. When the battle began I noticed the enemy is not showing up on the map, like no ink whatsoever. Did the whole team disconnect? No, they actually just ran to key positions, I'm guessing with run speed up, and take us all by surprise. Just mad disarray. In another battle I pop a bubbler up close, I got this I thought. Nope this person somehow circles me really fast with squid dashing and just when my bubble expires from trying to hit him they perfectly time a splat bomb at my feet.

• Options
      Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
      Played post-fest too to pick up my snails, had a perfect run on Kelp Dome with the trusty old splash-o-matic, 8 and 0 with top coverage. It's really a fun map for turf wars because you don't have to think very hard: run and spray.

Was seconds away from getting got by a sniper at the end, but that's really not the map for chargers overall.

• Options
      edited March 2016
      I actually missed the post about this on Tumblr, but there's actually a new ranking system going in with the new Splatfest Power system and that there's also a list of Top 100 players on each team of a Splatfest. You can check your ranking over on SplatNet, and if you want there's a option to tweet your stats and ranking.

PMAvers on
      persona4celestia.jpg
    • Options
      Oh, sweet, loot arrived today.

hCNjWsH.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
    • Options
      [Public Squid Announcement!] The Ver. 2.7.0 Update will be released on the evening of April 12th. Hey, that’s next week! As usual, check out here for the full deets of what’s included.

In preparation for this update, the Splatoon server will be under maintenance from 4:50 PM PT – 6:00 PM PT on April 12, and during this time, Splatoon’s online services will be unavailable.

Also coming the evening of April 12 at 7 PM PT are eight weapons, known as Sheldon’s Picks Vol. 1. Let’s take a sneak peek at a few of ‘em before they become available in Ammo Knights!

First up is the Wasabi Splattershot. This beauty is a Splattershot set featuring a few key adjustments by Sheldon. The main weapon is pretty much the same as before, but Splat Bombs amp up its frontline capability. Alternatively, try calling in an Inkstrike to scatter the opposition and give your teammates the advantage. This is just the set for the discerning Inkling looking for something spicy!

Behold the Berry Splattershot Pro! Don’t let the tasty paint job fool ya! This remixed Splattershot Pro includes Suction Bombs and Bomb Rush to help punch through the opponent’s defenses, letting you finish things off with the great firing range of the main.

The new and improved Fresh Squiffer is a Classic Squiffer retooled to allow a different approach. Pairing Suction Bombs with the Squiffer makes it even easier to get the upper hand in battle, and you can quickly turn the tables on foes with the Kraken! Definitely not a set for squids who are afraid to get their tentacles dirty!

The Permanent Inkbrush is a set remixed by Sheldon to include the high-powered sub of Splat Bombs while retaining the great mobility of earlier models. Recommended for aggressive Inklings with an uncontrollable urge to wreak maximum havoc. Watch out for the Kraken special!

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      Next Splatfest is Spongebob Squarepants vs Patrick Star

1pmyxxqi56lw.jpg

– 6 AM PT (April 23) – 12 PM PT (April 24)
      – 9 AM ET (April 23) – 3 PM ET (April 24)
      – 2 PM in the UK (April 23) – 8 PM in the UK (April 24)
      – 3 PM in Europe (April 23) – 9 PM in Europe (April 24)

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA