As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    New mechanics, too!

Instead of a static spawn point, it looks like everyone has an aerial spawn cannon and can aim where they’re going to land from spawning. That could be real interesting.

I mean... you could always choose to launch to your friends in the first two games.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    From Nintendo:
    Splatoon 3 arrives on Nintendo Switch in 2022! In the wake of chaos, enter the sun scorched Splatlands and the new city, Splatsville, inhabited by battle-hardened Inklings and Octolings. New weapons, moves, and more await, so be sure to keep an eye out for updates in the future.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    New mechanics, too!

Instead of a static spawn point, it looks like everyone has an aerial spawn cannon and can aim where they’re going to land from spawning. That could be real interesting.

I mean... you could always choose to launch to your friends in the first two games.

I’m well acquainted with that (read: have killed myself many times with it)

What has me interested about this mechanic is that it gives you a wider variety of options for starting any particular map, and could possibly be coordinated with the rest of the team for a focused push or a wider spread of territory.

Also, it means there is no static spawn point, which will likely make spawn camping way harder to pull off, since opponents could touch down in a much wider area.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    And the launch to friend tended to just be dying if they were in a fight since it gave a nice indicator "shoot here". If you can drop in anywhere in the map yeah, it's much harder to bottleneck people out of the game.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I doubt it’s anywhere; the team still seems to have their own side of the map, and you only have so far you can move the target. But it’s way more space than the standard spawn.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yep, brand new spawn mechanic is good. I fear the puns though; espresso machine teleporters? Gotta be something deeply fishy like “espress delivery” or the like.

Also, loving the new version of the main theme, and did I hear more rock/metal beats creeping in there?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The inkling character models look a bit taller/older this time around.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    I'm curious what the Crab thing is

Spoilered for large image:
    16.jpg

Well. . . Nintendo did have to confirm some ages awhile back.

While you may be a Squid now you are totally 100% not a kid now, you are a person of legal consent age now.

Axen wrote: »

Well. . . Nintendo did have to confirm some ages awhile back.

While you may be a Squid now you are totally 100% not a kid now, you are a person of legal consent age now.

Wait, really? This is another "dammit internet" thing, isn't it.

edited February 2021
    In part yeah, but Nintendo wasn't exactly helping things either. Plenty of blame to go around.

edit- Although, I suppose, in Nintendo's defense it was NoA's choice of song for the promo material that really laid the groundwork for problems.

Axen on
    Rewatching the trailer, one thing that I really appreciate is how they seem to have taken all the limits off of customization with hair styles. In the trailer, the player cycles through a bunch of hair styles, including the default girl and default boy ones, after selecting a female body for the character.

Which probably shouldn't be surprising; Nintendo took that step with Miis long ago, but it's still very nice to see. More options for inclusitvity and expression are good.

Also, Octolings seem to be selectable from the start too!

I wonder what the primary “story” antagonist will be this time? Lil’buddy looks like a Salmonid so probably not them, Octolings are integrating so almost certainly not them, so… DJ Octavius and some remnant faction? I hope they don’t kidnap Marina.

Crab people, clearly.

edited February 2021
    I actually expect Salmonids. During 2 they were becoming an ever increasing threat that most people weren’t paying attention to.

Edit- could well be you start off all Wastelander because you had to flee that last city after it was over run by Salmonids. With Splatsville being safe because it is far from the ocean.

Axen on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I didn't think "far from the ocean" was an option in that setting. Maybe the waters are starting to recede, and that kicks off the plot?

I'm hoping for a chance to maybe explore the city or otherwise do things beyond the basic game cycle. Maybe you get your own apartment you can customize, or you can visit the maps for downtime activities when bot in use for battle? I like the Splatoon universe, but I wish it didn't feel so small.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    Well it seems to be surrounded by a desert wasteland (The Splatlands) so I assume it isn’t near an ocean.

But it could still be.

The latest Nintendo Direct shows the return of Salmon Run as a game mode in Splatoon 3.
    https://youtu.be/b-Djf0ds_bA

They showed off two new boss salmonids. The Fish Stick is a spire dropped in by little flying fry fishes, who then spin around the top like a carnival ride, flinging ink to the area below. This looks like a boss that doesn't directly attack but the ink will impede movement. Shorter ranged weapons need to ink up the spire and climb up to get to the fry fish spinning at the top.

Another boss called the Flipper-flopper is a large salmonid that flings a ring of ink that targets a player. When it hits the ground it traps one in what looks like a splat zone type area of enemy ink and it then tries to belly flop on you. You can ink up the splat zone to claim it and escape. As well as trapping the boss to helplessly flop on the inked ground for you to kill.

A new mechanic is showed off where players can now toss boss eggs. You can now toss boss eggs to transport them easier, even directly throwing them into the egg basket. Watching the trailer closely it does appear that tossing eggs consumes your ink tank. Looks like it takes a 3rd of your ink tank, so you can't just spam throwing eggs around.

The trailer ends showing off a huge godzilla-like salmonid. I'm guessing it's a unique wave round, more maybe they're expanding on the hazard level max waves that sometimes occurs Splatoon 2.

Splatoon 3 is launching this summer and I'm looking forward to it. I still play 2 consistently and the online player base for that is still pretty active.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I need to get back on that; I never got the gold toothpick, and I don't quite have all the store clothes in 2. I did all the other singleplayer stuff, and got all the Salmon Run gear, so I was pretty close to 100%. I don't really care what my competitive multiplayer ranks are.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Splatoon 3 Japanese website is live. Hype train now boarding!

Time for a new thread?

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Okay so Front Roe is definitely my kind of sound so far; let’s hope the rest follows.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    PMAvers wrote: »

Squid Squad was my favorite Splatoon 1 band. Diss-pair was neat, Front Roe sounds good. But Squid Squad were the band behind the original versions of Splattack! and Now or Never!

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png

Oh god I had forgotten that 3's singleplayer was supposed to involve fuzzy/hairy creatures.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited June 2022
    You know, I was going back and re-reading the info on the NA twitter, and I completely missed that there was a new weapon type announced:

This thing seems INCREDIBLY useful to have on objective maps, to help cut down the incoming spam. Probably works better than the big Brellas?

EDIT: ...Huh, my brain didn't register that it was actually a special weapon.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Starting to get some new stage reveals:

persona4celestia.jpg
    The labs doing the work and bringing us the actual most important info: new hairstyles!

persona4celestia.jpg
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    tentacle pompadour?!?!?

alright, well, looks like i’m buying Splatoon 3 and getting destroyed by Japanese schoolchildren a second time

persona4celestia.jpg
    Speaking of new customization, there's new eye color options.

And another brand update:

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited July 2022
    Nobody asked for it, but here's my rankings for Salmon Run stages in 2:
    1. Ruins of Ark Polaris
      • Just a lot of fun all around, and the map I seem to do best on
      • The verticality and rails add a lot of ways to move around where Salmonid have limited means of getting to you
      • You can grind rails while KO'ed and awaiting rez!
      • High tide can get pretty hectic
      • Not a great map for chargers or splatlings as the steep angles can be awkward
      • Either first or second best low tide, thanks to the rails
    2. Spawning Grounds
      • Very simple layout means that there's not any outstanding frustrations
      • As with Ark, high tide can be pretty rough when the stage is kind of just one big square platform
      • My least favorite low tide area. Mainly because the far spaces don't link together to give you alternate routes back, like pretty much every other stage's low tide sandbar.
    3. Lost Outpost
      • The walls can impede group awareness (especially bad with fog and goldie seeking events)
      • 'Chase' waves (griller, glowflies) can be bad if you get bottled up in the building
      • Yet somehow I've experienced a lot more comebacks on this than the lower two maps
      • Low tide can be pretty nice with the right weapons, getting to and from the far platforms on those narrow paths though...
    4. Marooner's Bay
      • Ugh, that gap
      • Those elevators can be a real trap if you get stuck at the wrong end of the lower portion
      • The normal egg basket area from the gap to the bow really doesn't leave much room to maneuver during drizzler or flyfish attacks.
      • Great map for chargers & splatlings
      • The way the map is split up leads to issues with group awareness (party splits, eggs being forgotten and undelivered)
    5. Salmonid Smokeyard
      • That cleft in the middle is the worst. So many wipes happen due to groups getting tripped up by it. Not just on high tide either, even at normal tides. Heaven forbid you get a high tide with multiple flyfish (missile launchers) or stingers (laser towers) on the far side.
      • The cleft also means the egg basket area can very easily become a death trap during 'chase' waves.
      • Seriously, my least favorite map by far.
      • Paradoxically, this might be my favorite low tide area. Just two sizable rectangular areas to maneuver around in, with bits of cover, and a very short (and at least two inklings wide) bridge linking the far ends. It's the least horseshoe-shaped one.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Speaking of stages, they unveiled a new multiplayer map today:

persona4celestia.jpg
    Splatoon 3 Direct dropped:
    https://youtu.be/aiuIZN0KDFQ

There's so much and I'm so hyped for the game now. Like with 2 there's going to a Splatfest World Premiere demo that's coming on Aug 27. But Splatfests are different now, now there's three choices. The event will have two halves, first half will have regular turf wars. Then the second half will have a 3-way tri-color turf war. It will be 4 v 2 v 2, with the 4-player team being the 1st place choice who will have advantage in the center of the map while the duos come in from the map ends.

The 3 choices for the first Splatfest will be rock, paper, or scissors.

It'll probably take time for their designs to grow on me, but I think I quite like Deep Cut as the new band for the main square.

Also, that new Splatfest theme is wonderful.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I also appreciate some of the small quality of life changes they showed off. Being able to save favored loadouts is great for those who are serious about Ranked Anarchy play, and it's nice for veterans to gain quicker access to their main weapon of choice instead of being purely level-locked. It also seems like the newscast upon login is optional to some degree, which I know some folks wished they could skip.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Shiver is my oshi and I will kill splat for her.

edited August 2022
    There's also a big change in that you can Salmon Run anytime now. Put those eggs in the bank, and Grizz'll make you rich sister.

I'm guessing the Reefslider is going to be replacing Splatdown, which is probably going to be for the best.

I think it was mentioned on the website, but if you have Splatoon 2 data on your device it'll read it and give you some bonuses depending on your rank. So veterans can get up and running earlier since they know what they're doing, and hopefully not get matched against brand-new players as much.

New Rainmaker is interesting since it looks like there's checkpoints now that you have to mount the 'maker on to progress.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Oh yes that rainmaker change is very welcome, making it similar to moving the payload across multiple checkpoints in other shooters. Rainmaker was my least favorite ranked game mode with how quick you can get knockouts when your team gets wiped. Been on the both ends of rainmaker matches ending within 20 seconds.

Another detail I like is that you can now tool around in the firing range as you wait for a battle to start. I missed having something to do like the squid jump minigame in 1 when waiting for matches. Being able to warm up and work on your aim during those waits is awesome.