As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    You forgot an important change:

The song title and artist of the background music will now be shown at the beginning of battle.
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    2.0.0 patch is out tomorrow at 5 PM Pacific/2 AM CET, notes out now: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/59461/~/how-to-update-splatoon-3#v200
    • Song titles and artist names will now be shown at the start of matches

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Reading is extremely overrated!

(I did a ctrl+f for "music" and nothing came up in your post because you reworded it)

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Thank whatever deity inklings worship that tenta missiles got nerfed.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I was today days old when I found the route into the top half of the enemy base on inkblot academy. :astonished:
    Has that always been there?

You can ink and use the cardboard to go up or jump from the middle of the map onto the art sculptures on either side and through to the top as well. Those have always been there in Splatoon 3.

vfiZegM.png

76561197966849367.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    so I was on last night and today to do some last minute grinding to get to catalog level 15 for the pose, and I got there about half an hour ago or so.
    I decided to keep playing, so I could go out on 1 more win for the season!

I lost 7 in a row and turned my Switch off.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    z7sp7kmlf1b0.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    i recently got splatoon and enjoy playing it, but it certainly as fuck does not have the best multiplayer. The majority of the time someone disconnects and you just get booted to another loading screen and have to queue up again. also wtf were the other nominees in that category?

Enigmedic on
    God fucking damn it I missed Big Run, I thought it was going through Sunday but it ended way earlier than I thought, I was mad
    So then I thought, well, while I'm on I might as well play some games and start ranking up my catalog!
    I lost 5 in a row and ragequit and I'm going to bed, christ almighty

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i recently got splatoon and enjoy playing it, but it certainly as fuck does not have the best multiplayer. The majority of the time someone disconnects and you just get booted to another loading screen and have to queue up again. also wtf were the other nominees in that category?
    I am assuming they are basing it solely on gameplay because Splatoon’s netcode is a nightmare.

Game 1: Early Disconnect
    Game 2: I Disconnect (counts as loss!)
    Game 3: Early Disconnect
    Game 4: Three people disconnect later in the game

And this is after months of patches trying to improve this shit. I don’t even think Splatoon 2 was this bad.

YL9WnCY.png
    I have been on team Frye since launch just die to how my choices landed, and I feel compelled to ride or die with until she finally ekes out a win.

Also we get to be pink!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So, looks like you can actually get tri-colour battles now. Had four in a row without disconnecting when I couldn’t get even one in the previous ‘fests.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Tricolor battles also appear to be in their own queue as far as gathering Clout goes as well (where in the previous Splatfests, they were part of the Open total). You can also be part of the Attacker or Defender side, regardless of which team you chose.

As for myself, I chose Team Sour, and all of my (non-Tricolor) battles so far have been against Team Sweet. I've also been having a really hard time in my battles; it really feels like Team Sweet is gonna win this Splatfest.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Sweet won Pre-Fest, almost certainly won popularity, and is winning at least some of the other categories. No idea what the points for each category are, given the Tricolor’s addition, so hard to say how much of a lead Sweet actually has.

YL9WnCY.png
    Sweet was leading at halftime so it has to successfully defend tri-colour to score sufficient clout there I think. Like the attack-defence clout is biased depending on who is actually defending.

edited January 2023
    well I forgot to play the Splatfest yesterday so I got in today, and only got 3 games in. Thought it was supposed to end an hour or two after it did :( ended up going 1-2 in tricolor, I shouldn't have logged in at all since I was hurting my team (maybe? I was Team Sweet, and 2 of the games I played were only my team so I have no idea how that works (I won one of those, lost one, and lost a game against the other teams))

Also tried ranked for the first real time with tower control, won some close games and then lost 3 blowouts
    XP gain in that mode seems terrible? Like, we lost a game in under a minute, which gave only 100 XP and I don't think I got any catalog XP at all, which feels even worse! They should change that!

Crippl3 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Catalog exp seems to be built on a baseline assumption of the ink and time bonuses being gimmes. If you get stomped so hard you can't even meet those, I guess you'd get nothing?

You probably should have still gained Catalog XP even in an Anarchy Battle lost in the first minute. Sure, getting knocked out stings since you only get "time played" XP (100 per minute), but if you are able to evenly trade wins and losses, the XP gains will likely be better than in Turf War.

Turf War wins should be 1400 XP while losses should be 800 XP (assuming meeting the minimum coverage threshold), for an average of 1100 per match. Anarchy Battle wins are 2005-2500 XP, and losses 100-990 XP, depending on how long the match took and how much progress was made. The worst case scenarios give an average of (2005+100)/2 = 1052.5, which is lower than Turf War. However, that's based on every win being 99-100 (only 1 point of progress) and every loss being in the first minute. It's extremely unrealistic. If we take the rough middle of each range (corresponding with 50 points of progress on a win, full five minutes with no progress), the average is (2250+500)/2 = 1375 per match. If every game, win or loss, is a fast knockout, the average is (2500+100)/2 = 1300 per match.

So you're usually better off playing in Anarchy in terms of rewards, assuming you can go 0.500, even if the rewards from each match might be more swingy.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Huh, I've gotten the prize that gives you 10 of each ability chunk twice in the last few days. Luck, I guess.

TIL that replays even show the hilarious glitchy mess that happens when a player has severe lag before dropping out of the match, all bullets flying behind them, just not spawning, and teleporting all over. Possibly related, had a match where three players dropped out but the round didn’t auto terminate which I also don’t recall seeing before.

Anyway, does anyone know of a resource that explains exactly how XP and cash are calculated after a match?

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Anyway, does anyone know of a resource that explains exactly how XP and cash are calculated after a match?

This section on the Inkipedia wiki provides a more detailed breakdown of the XP amounts that the game shows you after each match.

For Cash in Turf War, you get money based on how much you've covered regardless of outcome, but you get some additional cash in a win. In Anarchy Battles, you get Cash based on your goal progress (which is 0 if you get KO'd, similar to XP), plus a hefty bonus when you win that increases with your rank. Checking against the wiki again, it seems like they don't yet have the Cash rewards recorded yet, but based on my just-completed game session, they're different from how they were in Splatoon 2.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I finally unlocked an upgrade to my Fish-Lovin' Magician title: Everyday Sting Ray.

edited February 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpn0UPPvAb8

Expansion Pass has 2 drops
    #1 is Inkopolis as a hub city, has the same shops as Splatsville so it's just cosmetic? No details on anything else in the pack, coming Spring
    #2 is Side Order, the new single-player expansion that just looks like Nier Automata, coming in The Future

Crippl3 on
    The second Hub at least has the classic music, and the Squid Sisters, but I think the Splatoon Twitter account said something about more/different gear being available in the shops.

I assume that that the Inkopolis shops will have a different daily selection than what's in the Splatsville ones.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    It would be neat if the newscast is given by the Squid Sisters again if you're in the Inkopolis hub during stage rotations. Also I'm totally down for what looks like more Marina lore in that Side Order campaign.

BronzeKoopa on
    edited February 2023
    Annie’s gone Goth! Explains why her Splatnet app is all black and white, I guess?
    Also if she’s just down the line from Splatsville, that would also explain how she delivers to Murch so dang fast.

Maybe the hear in the Inkopolis stores will be the same items overall but with different primary abilities, like the stuff on Splatnet?

Edit: OK, what? I just saw the expansion pass wave 2 is set for December 2024. 20 months from now. What the actual…?

Mr_Rose on
    edited February 2023
    *clears his throat*

Man, it’s been a while since I’ve had to do this… *coughs* there we go…

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Kraken Royale sounds like a fast food order? Probably on purpose. “Can I get a kraken royale and hold the tomato, please?”

Still, .96 Gal Deco sounds like it could be fun. Use the wall to hide behind so you don’t die to startup lag on your Kraken Royale with Fries.
    I wonder what limits there are on the turbo/charge move…

Unrelated, finally finished the catalog. Scored the “three of every chunk” prize on the mystery box too.

...What?

Okay, that's actually pretty neat.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Anyone else get the impression we’re missing some subtleties here? Like on the on hand, yay, Gatling splat mortar but on the other, why is it popping up the “landing player” rings? Can you use them to disguise an incoming super jump? Are they beakons themselves? So many questions!

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    You can use them to disguise a super jump, and while we don't know if you can jump to them while they are active they also serve as a potentially dangerous decoy for players that are trying to camp a super jump landing since they explode when shot.

EDIT: I suppose you could also shoot them at an enemy players landing spot and hope you can get a kill that way.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Fire them at a point in Splat Zones and it stops enemies from shooting at the point for a few seconds so they don't pop them

oh shit
    We're probably legally required to inform you that a new type of King Salmonid may begin appearing in March. It's a giant, terrifying serpent called Horrorboros, and did we mention that it flies? But...you'll probably be fine. Remember—you can earn a sticker!
    Memo

To: You
    RE: Big Run

Do not miss the upcoming Big Run! Salmonids are projected to invade Inkblot Art Academy from 4 PM on March 3rd through 4 PM on March 5th. There is a significant chance that a Horrorboros will make landfall—we need all hands on deck!
    FpbB9zPaYAAbs41.jpg

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That would be ghost from the datamines I suppose

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    persona4celestia.jpg