As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Splatoon] Kid/Squid color coating warfare with style!

• MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    It's everything I wanted in an update and then some.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeuEcVZx0pc
    Version 3.0 update coming soon with 100+ new clothing items, new stages, and a new mode above Rank S called Rank X. $20 DLC expansion with a single player campaign focusing on octolings, and unlock playable octolings in multiplayer.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    My Pappy spent his life fight'n the octo'lins just as his Pappy 'fore him and I'll be dipped and deepfried 'fore I share an arena with some sucker-head!

SQUEEEE!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Not sure I was really pining for 20 dollar single player expansion, but I'm glad regular updates are still a thing. Though the footage did look promising in terms of gameplay.

What I really would have gone crazy for would have been a 20 dollar expansion to mariokart 8. I haven't double dipped on that yet so new tracks would def push me over the edge.

• chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Ok, having just watched the video...holy crow the Octo-expansion looks awesome. Also, the subway station reminds me of Silent Hill 4 (but only the good bits). Also...i wish i had the cash to do the advanced order, i'd like some special Octo-gear (though i imagine the "for use today" doesn't mean "offer available today only").

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
    Saw in the switch news app that you can pre-purchase the DLC from the eshop right now to get octo themed clothes unlocked immediately as a bonus.

The Octo Expansion has 80 levels. Hoping we don't have to beat every level with every gun to unlock a Hero version, that would be silly.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I think a big hindrance to my enjoyment of splatoon campaigns are the hub levels. Take those out of the equation and try a different level structure and that would make a big diff.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think I'll be playing as an Octoling almost exclusively once I'm able to. Though, knowing me, I'll sometimes still switch back to Inkling for variety's sake.

Also, Inkling VS Octoling Splatfest when?

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    In mAh Veins NOW!

I suppose I do still have to beat the campaign. Well I guess that’s the goal before the expansion releases.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I actually missed it, but it sounds like the music in the 3.0 trailer is a new song by the Chirpy Chips. (AKA the band known as ABXY in the Japanese release, and who did Shellfie and Split & Splat from Splatoon 1.) Hopefully that means more battle music is coming too.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    So far, as Team Egg I havn’t seem any mirror matches yet. Which is surprising, I wonder if a lot of people went Chicken just for that factor.

That, and to shoot white ink.

Quick glance at my stats says I went 15W-18L last night in Splatfest battles?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I do like how the colors for this splatfest make the levels look like egg afterwards.

Also, obviously the egg came first, you have eggs for breakfast.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I need a good switch multiplayer game so this might be my 3rd switch title after zelda and mario. Any deals for it anywhere? Also, is there sp? And how friendly is the game to newcomers. Never played the original and I'm pretty bad at multiplayer games these days.

Steam: offday
    There's a single player campaign, yes. It gets very crazy in level design, much more so than the multiplayer areas. There's an expansion for it coming out later this year too.

Define newcomer friendly? You can contribute plenty in multiplayer just by taking a weapon with good ink coverage, and the early weapons are all balanced fine against everything else.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I guess what I mean is do you need to get kills to contribute? Rather than games like Halo or COD, I tend to lean more towards games with support roles so I can feel like I'm helping even if I don't rack up the kills like I used to be able to.

Also, what's this splatfest I always hear about?

edited March 2018
    anoffday wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess what I mean is do you need to get kills to contribute? Rather than games like Halo or COD, I tend to lean more towards games with support roles so I can feel like I'm helping even if I don't rack up the kills like I used to be able to.

Also, what's this splatfest I always hear about?

For the most part kills don't matter over much. Name of the game is covering every square inch of the arena in your team's paint color. Whichever team has the most covered wins. Each match is only 3min long, which is really nice.

Now I say kills don't matter that much, but each enemy in respawn is one less throwing paint everywhere so it certainly helps. That said as long as you are throwing paint around you are helping and if you happen to knock out an enemy while doing so alls the better, but don't sweat too much over it. I've been in matches where the losing team had much more kills than the winning team and vice versa.

Splatfest are a day long celebration/competition held every couple of weeks. No set schedule, but typically 3-5ish weeks. The game offers you two silly choices for a team, current is "Which came first? Chicken or the Egg?". Some past ones have been Cat or Dog, Spoongebob or Patrick, Pokemon Red or Blue. You pick a side a fight and fight for glory and honor! And rewards. At the end of the festivities you find out which side won.

Oh also, there is a concert going on during this time!

Best part of the game? Playing Pretty Princess Dressup. Never gets old for me.

Axen on
    You know, now that I think about it, I REALLY like the wordplay in the naming of Octo Expansion. Expansion is actually part of the name (with a capital E) and doesn’t necessarily refer to it as a DLC pack, but possibly ties back into the theme of the new campaign.

Also I guess this explains the weird Starter Edition, since I assume later there’s going to be a version with Octo Expansion on the cart or bundled in.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited March 2018
    Axen wrote: »

Getting your inkling to look fresh is the core part of the game I thought.

MetaHybrid on
    MetaHybrid wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Getting your inkling to look fresh is the core part of the game I thought.

Oh f'sure. If you ain't sporting the freshest threads what's the point of even getting out of bed?

Fashion Squids is the true endgame.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited March 2018
    Reached Chicken Queen at 19W 10L. Started off good, but I couldn't deal with Shelldorf institute with a Splatling, there's just too much cover and side routes to lay down a good defense.

The Shifty stage this time is pretty fun like most of them. My favourite thing to do is to quickly reach the small zone on the enemies side and hold it until it closes. With the Splatling Decos defensive kit, I can comfortably take out anyone running up the ramp to get me, and a lot of players use short range weapons making it that much easier to fire safely.

They'll waste valuable inking time trying to throw me out of that small zone, giving my teammates a small breather while they cover turf.

MetaHybrid on
    Reached Chicken Queen at 19W 10L. Started off good, but I couldn't deal with Shelldorf institute with a Splatling, there's just too much cover and side routes to lay down a good defense.

The Shifty stage this time is pretty fun like most of them. My favourite thing to do is to quickly reach the small zone on the enemies side and hold it until it closes. With the Splatling Decos defensive kit, I can comfortably take out anyone running up the ramp to get me, and a lot of players use short range weapons making it that much easier to fire safely.

They'll waste valuable inking time trying to throw me out of that small zone, giving my teammates a small breather while they cover turf.

Is it a waste though? Once it's sealed off it's permanent points for your team.

Thanks. You guys sold me on it. Gamestop actually has a deal going on to get extra 60% credit when you trade stuff towards switch games so I was able to get rid of some of my unplayed xbox one games and got it along with a 20 dollar card that I'll most likely use for Celeste.

Seeing lots of people running with ink storm specials for this shifty stage. I tested it in recon and the dome blocks ink storms.

True, but an aerospray or sploosh-a-matic have a lot of trouble making it up the ramp while I'm firing behind a splashwall, if they don't have someone helping they usually end up dying.

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    True, but an aerospray or sploosh-a-matic have a lot of trouble making it up the ramp while I'm firing behind a splashwall, if they don't have someone helping they usually end up dying.
    I haven't seen many splatlings today (Team Egg), but my normal solution for one hiding behind a splash wall is to throw an autobomb over it. If a MG user had some Sub Power Up I'm sure they could they get a suction bomb to you as well, but I doubt most people using one care about that.

Personally I love me some autobombs and point sensors, and the N-Zap '89 is one of my favorite Turf War weapons.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited March 2018
    One more question. When splatfest is going on is that all that's available? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but all I see is chicken vs. the egg matches.

anoffday on
    One more question. When splatfest is going on is that all that's available? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but all I see is chicken vs. the egg matches.

Yeah pretty much.

Though for the record normal matches are basically the same minus all the pomp and circumstance. It ends later tonight. In a little over two hours I think?

In the mean time pick a team and have fun!

Salmon run can also be available, but that depends on its' schedule. Right now it's not up.

Salmon run can also be available, but that depends on its' schedule. Right now it's not up.

Is it that basically coop?

Is it that basically coop?

Kinda, horde wave mode. Run it for that dosh yo.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

This is always an interesting thing that I hear people talk about Splatoon (Let me play any stage! Let me play any mode! Let me play Salmon Run whenever!) but I actually like that they deliberately feature particular modes at particular times. It let's me get really excited when the modes I want to play are available, but it also encourages me to try a bit of everything, and each game mode is fun enough that I have never really been upset about one or the other not being available.

That being said, I do hope that Shifty Station variations are available once the game's update schedule ends, somehow. They're really fun. This weekends might be one of my favorites.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Oh wow, finally getting back into playing Tower Control... and so I've been breaking out the Tenta Brella again.

And boy, when you get moments like this, it feels quite nice.

Also finally hit level 30, so I took the Clash Blaster out for a spin... and BOY is that thing mean on TC. Groups of squids were just getting mown down by it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh wow, finally getting back into playing Tower Control... and so I've been breaking out the Tenta Brella again.

And boy, when you get moments like this, it feels quite nice.

Also finally hit level 30, so I took the Clash Blaster out for a spin... and BOY is that thing mean on TC. Groups of squids were just getting mown down by it.

I hope you were saying “Oh the squidmanity!”

Was happy to see team Chicken win the splatfest.

Was more happy for the rewards so I could add some slots to my kicking new, uh, kicks.

edited March 2018
    Two new songs from the Splatoon1 band ABXY

MetaHybrid on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The monthly leaderboards for Rank X are pretty cool, but I wish the level restrictions weren't so strict. I'm okay with Splatoon locking us into a set of levels for a brief period of time, knowing that they will refresh sooner or later. But having it be for all month long? Seems a bit intense. Though maybe they're onto something with the "Get to know each level super well and be super competitive" angle.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games