Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

19495969798100»

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Always worth checking on the manufacturer's website if they have replacement parts like that for sale.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I looked at Antec's site before and they do not have anything like this. I'll be sending them an email shortly.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    ah yes, they days of "tool less" meaning "you don't need a tool to mount this in the case once you've use a tool to mount these rails to the side of the drive"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The 1060 is probably a slightly better card, though a bit more expensive, and right now finding either in stock is near impossible.

My local Microcenter had a stack of the last time I was there.

Newegg seems to as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487260&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814487260&gclid=Cj0KEQjwoau9BRDMvsnv5MCh24UBEiQAKOqcfax2kRxrvfYNiPQppNL4wvbhGFDp4c0RVSV7g-FnIuEaAiQc8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also, the Microcenter had an open box 1080 for $580 and I was suuuuuuper tempted.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Hey guys, wondering if you could help me out. I recently bought my dad a new steering wheel for Project Cars. He was using an ancient MS Sidewinder wheel. So, I set it up for him as a surprise. Wanted to test it out a bit before I left and holy crap something in that PC is holding that game back. My first thought was "buy new GPU" and get it on with it. I'm still leaning that way but I want to make sure that will actually help. I've tried to do a bit of research but I basically want to make sure the CPU that's in the machine isn't the problem and that a new GPU will help. Project Cars runs okay at lower car speeds, but when you get into the much faster cars and really start hitting the upper speed limits, the framerate starts to tank.

Currently, the CPU is a Core-I3-3245 @ 3.40GHz. The GPU is my old HD 5770. I was thinking about dropping in something this:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/463787/GeForce_GTX_950_2GB_GDDR5_PCIe_Video_Card

Relatively inexpensive upgrade and is 5 levels up the GPU hierarchy chart on Tom's Hardware. I just want to make sure that CPU isn't going to be an issue. Project Cars is the most intensive game this machine runs. The other stuff they play are basically mini-games and card games.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I mean.

The CPU is okay.

The GPU is a pretty massive bottleneck, though. It could also be RAM related too, but an i3 makes me suspect it has at least 8 gigs.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Think it's time for a brand new machine, Bolthorn. SLI Titans, let's do this!

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So, I know people talk about Samsung's Data Migration tool for their SSD's and how it is the bee's knees. I just had an opportunity to try it at work for the first time (replacing a few 4200rpm drives with SSD's in laptops) and holy crap, I think you people have been underselling it. I've never seen a drive imaging tool so easy/slick at a consumer level.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So, I know people talk about Samsung's Data Migration tool for their SSD's and how it is the bee's knees. I just had an opportunity to try it at work for the first time (replacing a few 4200rpm drives with SSD's in laptops) and holy crap, I think you people have been underselling it. I've never seen a drive imaging tool so easy/slick at a consumer level.

Thank you for reminding me about it--my "repaired" Samsung 850 Pro should be coming in today, I'll use it to copy my repaired OS/boot drive onto it.

• Options

It's easily on par with SuperDuper on the Mac side, which is hands down the best drive cloning utility I've ever used previously.

• Options
    hey also we need a new thread. who wants to make it? (not me)

• Options
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    What's up build thread, I was hoping to hop in here to get your thoughts. I'm looking to upgrade to a 1070 in the coming months. What do you think is a fair price to sell my Asus Geforce 970 for?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    This discussion has been closed.