As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I was under the impression that LGA 1151 is DDR4 only, since DDR3 has a different physical form.

There are a few motherboards that run DDR3 with 1151.

Be careful about what the processor requires too. The newer intel ones need ddr4 or ddr3L (not plain ddr3).

Yeah, I'll just switch to DDR4 just to be on the safe side.

Found my PSU, it was a SeaSonic 620-watter.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Excellent taste in PSU sir!

That will last you a decade.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    I was under the impression that LGA 1151 is DDR4 only, since DDR3 has a different physical form.

There are a few motherboards that run DDR3 with 1151.

Be careful about what the processor requires too. The newer intel ones need ddr4 or ddr3L (not plain ddr3).

Yeah, I'll just switch to DDR4 just to be on the safe side.

Found my PSU, it was a SeaSonic 620-watter.

Thats your best bet. It looks like youre going 1151 whole-hog, which is probably the best idea right now. Its going to last you at least 1 incremental upgrade.

• Options
    So I ended up being sensible and just getting an EVGA Classified Gaming 980 Ti (pretty much a Kingpin minus the cool all copper heatsink). But since I saved myself money, I ended up getting a new motherboard and some fancy RGB thermaltake fans..... God I have a problem..

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    So I ended up being sensible and just getting an EVGA Classified Gaming 980 Ti (pretty much a Kingpin minus the cool all copper heatsink). But since I saved myself money, I ended up getting a new motherboard and some fancy RGB thermaltake fans..... God I have a problem..

I've done the same thing. Sold my 970 to my brother and then a friend wanted me to help him put together a build, so now I have a way to justify getting a 1440p G-sync monitor. I just keep upgrading with no end in sight. Ordered a 4TB WD Black drive and decided to get some new fans and a new CLC.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

You have GAS.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Ok, where do I get started? I know I want to go with an Intel based build with a Geforce card. I'm stumped on mobos in particular. No clue what to look for.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Ok, where do I get started? I know I want to go with an Intel based build with a Geforce card. I'm stumped on mobos in particular. No clue what to look for.

What's your budget, and what do you need? Do you plan on reusing your case? Do you need a new monitor/keyboard/mouse?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The two major ATX sockets for Intel are 1150 and 1151 right now. 1151 is the new hotness, 1150 is still good but probably on the way out. The 6th generation i series of chips uses 1151 (Skylake) and to be honest the price difference between 1150 and 1151 isnt that large.

1151 generally uses DDR4 RAM, 1150 uses DDR3.

My suggestion is 1151 for power efficiency and future capabilities.

For mobo manufacturers, ASUS, Gigabyte, ASrock, and MSI should do ya fine. I have an ASRock that set me back $105 and it works wonderfully.

• Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

What's your budget, and what do you need? Do you plan on reusing your case? Do you need a new monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Budget isn't really much of a concern though I'd love to stay around $2500 CAD. I have the money to spend. My existing rig is actually fine, I just have the time/budget to build a new one so I might as well.

Original rig was:

1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty
    1 x Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box
    1 x ASUS P6X58D-E X58 ATX LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI USB3.0 SATA 6GB/S Motherboard
    1 x LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM
    1 x Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C8 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
    1 x Radeon HD 5870 850MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.8GHZ PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI Display Port
    1 x Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio - Black
    1 x Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 60A 80+ Silver Black

I've upgraded a few areas:

1. Added an SSD
    2. 18 gigs of RAM
    3. Upgraded the card to a GTX 780

No need for a monitor but I would need a new case/keyboard/mouse. I want this thing to eat games alive. I know I could probably build a lesser machine and just upgrade my current rig but I really want to go new and shiny.

• Options
    Interesting results on cooling.

Ive always heard that negative pressure cooling setups work better for air-cooled systems. I tested mine out with a back exhaust and a back intake (top exhaust) and found that with 3 intakes instead of 2, my cpu temps dropped 5 degrees, GPU dropped 4, and ambient dropped 4.

• Options

Budget isn't really much of a concern though I'd love to stay around $2500 CAD. I have the money to spend. My existing rig is actually fine, I just have the time/budget to build a new one so I might as well.

Original rig was:

1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty
    1 x Intel Core i7 930 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 2.8GHZ 8MB L3 Cache 130W 45NM Retail Box
    1 x ASUS P6X58D-E X58 ATX LGA1366 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI USB3.0 SATA 6GB/S Motherboard
    1 x Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C8 6GB DDR3 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i7 Memory Kit
    1 x Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio - Black
    1 x Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W Modular Power Supply ATX 24PIN 135mm Fan 60A 80+ Silver Black

1. Added an SSD
    2. 18 gigs of RAM

No need for a monitor but I would need a new case/keyboard/mouse. I want this thing to eat games alive. I know I could probably build a lesser machine and just upgrade my current rig but I really want to go new and shiny.

Pro level LGA1151 mobo with DDR4 3200 RAM, i7 Skylake, 1 TB SSD (Samsung is your best bet here) and a GTX980Ti SLI setup will shred anything out there.

If suggest components with water cooling, since youve got the cash, and they come pre-installed now.

• Options
    edited February 2016

Original rig was:

1. Added an SSD
    2. 18 gigs of RAM

I was bored on a teleconference at work and tried to make you a nice white/black build. Hit just over 50$ of your budget :(

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Dcz9f7

Wanted to put a bigger SSD and another 16gb of ram, but holy fuck you Canadians pay out the ass for a graphics card.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Original rig was:

1. Added an SSD
    2. 18 gigs of RAM

I was bored on a teleconference at work and tried to make you a nice white/black build. Hit just over 50$ of your budget :(

Wanted to put a bigger SSD and another 16gb of ram, but holy fuck you Canadians pay out the ass for a graphics card.

That build looks pretty good to me. Case will always be personal preference though so I'd maybe do my own research on what you want for that.

And yea, The Canadian dollar means everything is 30% more right now. Obviously that makes a bigger difference on the more expensive things.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Yeah, our Canadian funnybucks aren't so fun right now. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a gander and come back with any questions.

• Options

Original rig was:

1. Added an SSD
    2. 18 gigs of RAM

This looks good - if you wanted to save some, you could step down the motherboard to something a little cheaper, or there is an 850W SeaSonic gold-rated PSU that is a bit cheaper.

You might want to consider using your current GPU and upgrading when the next generation comes out. The GTX 780 is still a solid card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What's the deal with water cooling? Is there anything I need to be aware of there? Added maintenance, etc?

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    My power went out last night while I was on my computer. Now my sub woofer is making a continuous noise today. Like a buzzing. Help?

When I turn it off, it stops. But if I turn it on, BUZZZZZZ. I think that is obvious, but don't know anything about speakers. It is a coby something. It has a subwoofer square box, and two smaller speakers for higher range. It also uses RCA cables, so I have a RCA to headphone jack converter, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    What's the deal with water cooling? Is there anything I need to be aware of there? Added maintenance, etc?

That is the exact same AIO cooler that I use with my 6600k that I have OC'ed to 4.4ghz. It keeps it below 50c even while running CPU benchmarks at 100% load and is pretty damn quiet (like you will never hear it if you aren't running benchmarks).

There is no extra maintenance or anything to worry about.

I have it in that exact case and had it top mounted (was hitting 54c with benchmarks), but just a few days ago I moved it to the front of the case and flipped the fans around so they were in taking from the front and moved the 3 120mm case fans to the top as intake and one 140mm fan in the back of the case as exhaust. This reduced my temps about 8c on the cpu and more inside the case.

This did make my pump jump up 500 rpm though as it's working a little harder now (stays around 1800 rpm), but it is still silent.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    My power went out last night while I was on my computer. Now my sub woofer is making a continuous noise today. Like a buzzing. Help?

When I turn it off, it stops. But if I turn it on, BUZZZZZZ. I think that is obvious, but don't know anything about speakers. It is a coby something. It has a subwoofer square box, and two smaller speakers for higher range. It also uses RCA cables, so I have a RCA to headphone jack converter, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Does it buzz if you have it unplugged from your line out on your motherboard? If it doesn't try plugging it into a different line out (like maybe the front or top of your case).

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options

Well, theres custom built watercooling solutions which can be a pain, and theres closed-loop kits that take very little maintenance past normal cleaning and are solid as hell.

Just be aware that youll need a case with enough room for the radiators.

Custom traditional systems DO cool better, especially modern tanks with refridgeration, but unless youre going on the bleeding edge of modification its probably unecessary.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @SatanIsMyMotor

I just bought and installed this: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h80i-gt-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

It was ridiculously easy. It's got a fan on each side of the radiator, so the only tricks are having enough space (2x fans + radiator = brick!) and making sure they're both pointing the same direction. :D

• Options
    You guys are space-wizards and I love you.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Original rig was:

1. Added an SSD
    2. 18 gigs of RAM

That build looks pretty good to me. Case will always be personal preference though so I'd maybe do my own research on what you want for that.

And yea, The Canadian dollar means everything is 30% more right now. Obviously that makes a bigger difference on the more expensive things.

Swap the case for an S340 and it's under the budget. Sorry, I just really love how compact the S340 is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Not hurting my feelings, I had a 340 at first on that build, but I have a 440 so that was the one I am comfortable with.

Yeah, you should watch some case reviews on YouTube and figure out what you want though! Most people here will recommend something from Corsair, NZXT, or Fractal.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yeah, our Canadian funnybucks aren't so fun right now. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a gander and come back with any questions.

I prefer to call them Trudeau Happiness Tickets.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

I prefer to call them Trudeau Happiness Tickets.

plastic monopoly money

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

For mobo manufacturers, ASUS, Gigabyte, ASrock, and MSI should do ya fine. I have an ASRock that set me back $105 and it works wonderfully.

One heads up that has made me swear off of ASRock forever. My last board as an ASRock, and they have new BIOSes on their website that can completely brick your board depending on which generation of processor you run. Worst yet, they provide no warning whatsoever that there are compatibility issues. Oh, and they wrote the BIOS so that you can't downgrade. I also tried contacting their support about the issue, no response over two weeks later. That kind of support is unacceptable to me.

• Options
    Not hurting my feelings, I had a 340 at first on that build, but I have a 440 so that was the one I am comfortable with.

Yeah, you should watch some case reviews on YouTube and figure out what you want though! Most people here will recommend something from Corsair, NZXT, or Fractal.

Yeah, I'm currently trying to talk myself out of upgrading to an H440 right now. Just love how grown up Fractal, Corsair, and some NZXT cases look. Even though no one ever really sees my build, I don't want something that screams GAMER.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea, I was into the super flashy cases when I was a teenager. Now I just want something more subdued that looks clean and is nice and silent.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

One heads up that has made me swear off of ASRock forever. My last board as an ASRock, and they have new BIOSes on their website that can completely brick your board depending on which generation of processor you run. Worst yet, they provide no warning whatsoever that there are compatibility issues. Oh, and they wrote the BIOS so that you can't downgrade. I also tried contacting their support about the issue, no response over two weeks later. That kind of support is unacceptable to me.

Ive heard the same from MSI stuff, that you have to update the bios manually.

If everything is working I never update the BIOS. Thats like open heart surgery for PCs.

• Options
    Yea, I was into the super flashy cases when I was a teenager. Now I just want something more subdued that looks clean and is nice and silent.

Same. My HAF912 with 6 fans running full tilt is only marginally louder than my laptop was. If the AC or dishwasher or something is on, you cant even hear it.

I still have yet to feel any truly warm air come out of this thing. I even opened up the case to inspect for hot pockets of air and found nothing. All CPU temps look good, bios or software, same with GPU.

The HAF, as a contributor to heat, is nearly invisible.

• Options

If everything is working I never update the BIOS. Thats like open heart surgery for PCs.

That's why I like my ASUS mobo. It has it's windows app that you can download and install the bios while actually in windows. Don't have to mess with going into your bios or using a flash drive. Just install and restart.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    I had to update the BIOS on our HTPC in order to install Windows 10. Not sure why it wasn't compatible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

That's why I like my ASUS mobo. It has it's windows app that you can download and install the bios while actually in windows. Don't have to mess with going into your bios or using a flash drive. Just install and restart.

You say this, but in four years I have still been too afraid to update the BIOS on the Asus Z77-V PRO that is now in my wife's system.

• Options
    Bios updates are actually stupidly simple now. Stupidly.

• Options
    Well, the only reason I even updated my bios was because my RAM wasn't working with the XMP profile. Had to update for it to work properly and give me my 2800mhz. Before that it was only showing up as 1333mhz.

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have even bothered. Still iffy on if the risk of bricking your board is present if your system is working perfectly.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    I'd agree that unless you have a reason to, don't. but when the time comes to do it, it's super easy, especially UEFI based systems.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Bios updates are actually stupidly simple now. Stupidly.

They are simple.

Unfortunately, as pointed out above, if there's even a slight wrinkle in the firmware you are now the proud owner of a brick... and it can even damage other components as well.

Most likely they'll be replaced for no charge, but the time without the PC (not to mention possible loss of data) can be pretty fucking bad.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

MSI totally has a windows program to update and install bios for you as well.

This discussion has been closed.