As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] The Stoned Vampires of Markov Manor

19495969798100»

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    reynad is an idiot who was banned from mtg for cheating (and also makes his living off hearthstone, so you know, not an unbiased source), and mtg has seen increased profits and growth for like the last decade consistently

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    high card prices are happening because of increased demand, which means magic is doing the opposite of dying

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Fuckin hundred dollar jace, fifty dollar avacyn

Does standard just do this sometimes

Before this shit it seemed like 20 bucks was about the top end of standard playables outside big money hustlers like $30 ugins

jace is the most expensive card that has ever been in standard except for wallet sculptor I believe?

actually I think he got banned before he got that high?

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Kilroy wrote: »
    high card prices are happening because of increased demand, which means magic is doing the opposite of dying

yeah, a lot of that due in part to how widely applicable cards like avacyn and jace are re: different types of decks that can use them

plus avacyn's newness

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    but for real @Pinfeldorf should shoot me a pm of what commander shit you are looking for, because I dont use pucatrade

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    MTG is not dying but (speaking about playing competitively) it is now a game for people making a solid middle class and above wage that can spend $400+ a month on this game.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    we're going through a period of time where some of the most important cards are the mythics, whereas there was an earlier period where mythics were useful roleplayers in decks but not defining powerhouses

that was alleviated during khans due to how much product was opened but it's less the case for sets like origins or recent releases

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    there's a reason reynad keeps saying mtg is dying and hearthstone will replace it

hint: it's not the card design

magic is doing the opposite of dying

eternal formats are running into major trouble though

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    tbh I just posted that to see what the reaction would be, of course I wouldn't listen to renyad's opinion on magic

I'm just really leery of physical CCGs as an industry in general because of negative personal experiences and how my own mind rationalizes value, but I still do hope prices stabilize at a more reasonable place because I would like to take magic seriously one day but I'm not the sort of person to dump everything into one hobby

edit: also official formats seem pretty dumb to me, you introduce rotations to keep the modern sets balanced in their own right, you can't keep an eternal set balanced

like, by definition, you can't, they exist in a space in which you found balancing too difficult which is why you made the rotations in the first place

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    there are definitely highs and lows

i'm not really super eager to buy in right now, but the period of time where we just had khans and fates and dragons of tarkir hadn't ruined everything was a time of wonderful cheap deck diversity

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    tbh I just posted that to see what the reaction would be, of course I wouldn't listen to renyad's opinion on magic

I'm just really leery of physical CCGs as an industry in general because of negative personal experiences and how my own mind rationalizes value, but I still do hope prices stabilize at a more reasonable place because I would like to take magic seriously one day but I'm not the sort of person to dump everything into one hobby

edit: also official formats seem pretty dumb to me, you introduce rotations to keep the modern sets balanced in their own right, you can't keep an eternal set balanced

like, by definition, you can't, they exist in a space in which you found balancing too difficult which is why you made the rotations in the first place

banlist and extensive professionals playing and brewing is how eternal formats are balanced

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    eternal formats are super awesome and the only part of them I don't care for is the reserve list

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    vintage sucks but legacy is good

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Pauper is the best eternal format.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Kilroy wrote: »
    vintage sucks but legacy is good

vintage is fascinating to watch but boy howdy

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    2-1 with UW Rattlechains and friends.

Pour over the Pages is great. True faith Censor is surprisingly good even if you don't have a lot of humans (helps if one of them is Avacynian Missionaries).

The 2/5 Ox is just really solid. Shores up the ground magnificently.

Tried out Angel of Deliverence. Just felt bad. 8 is just too damn much. I don't thjbj I ever cast it.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    we're going through a period of time where some of the most important cards are the mythics, whereas there was an earlier period where mythics were useful roleplayers in decks but not defining powerhouses

that was alleviated during khans due to how much product was opened but it's less the case for sets like origins or recent releases

I think what makes it fun every single standard when a couple mythics skyrocket and become staples to the format creating yet another $$ roadblock.

We should be due any minute now for the usual " We're totally gonna not put staples in mythics" regularly scheduled announcement

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    MTG is not dying but (speaking about playing competitively) it is now a game for people making a solid middle class and above wage that can spend $400+ a month on this game.

Partly because all the middle school kids that played in the 90s are now those middle class adults with disposable income.

• Options
    Limited thoughts:

I've now done 3 pre-release Sealeds and 3 drafts. Format is REALLY GOOD, guys. Colors feel well balanced (Blue is probably the weakest but it's not by a silly amount, it's certainly can be good or great). And there are so many interesting things going on. Board states are interesting and involve a lot of things to keep an eye on (transform cards flipping,, madness possibilities, Delerium counts, a bunch of viable combat tricks).

I didn't draft enough triple Khans to say if SOI is on that level, but I certainly think it's the best format since that at the very least.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Limited thoughts:

I've now done 3 pre-release Sealeds and 3 drafts. Format is REALLY GOOD, guys. Colors feel well balanced (Blue is probably the weakest but it's not by a silly amount, it's certainly can be good or great). And there are so many interesting things going on. Board states are interesting and involve a lot of things to keep an eye on (transform cards flipping,, madness possibilities, Delerium counts, a bunch of viable combat tricks).

I didn't draft enough triple Khans to say if SOI is on that level, but I certainly think it's the best format since that at the very least.

If you have no plans for constructed and are wanting to just stay in the limited environment ( this is what I do, limited 4 lyfe), make sure to flog off your singles during their block, on MTGO when a set rotates , prices plummet.

Those couple tickets per rare can start to go a long way, I only paid for 4 out of 48 drafts in 2015

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Limited thoughts:

my only complaint at the end of khans was that it devolved into 5color goodstuff drafts a month or so in

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Oh yeah. I do that with MTGO Rares.

I've actually only played paper for this format so far, but for those I keep rares around to trade for a bit then every so often flip a bunch to CFB for credit for Modern cards I need.

Once I finish building Lantern, I'll start flipping and trading for Fetches/Shocks to build up a multipurpose mana base that I can build future decks with

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    there's a reason reynad keeps saying mtg is dying and hearthstone will replace it

hint: it's not the card design

magic is doing the opposite of dying

eternal formats are running into major trouble though

Friend and I were talking the other day about how much potential damage to Legacy is done purely by collectors and speculators. What percentage of Tropical Islands haven't seen the outside of a trade binder in 2, 5, 10, 15 years? Force of Will?

And then fuck, take that same question into Vintage cards and I don't even know where it goes. My roommate has a playset of Tabernacles, which may very well be every Tabernacle in the state! And she hasn't played those in about 8 years, but it's real hard to trade off $700 cards.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    you can awaken a westvale abbey

i didnt even consider that

This discussion has been closed.