As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Far Cry Primal - This game needs a thread.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited February 2016 in Games and Technology
Play as a beast master in the stone age. Build your village, recruit tribe members, steal outposts, take out your enemies with bows, clubs, and tamed deadly animals.

After watching a bit of this game being played by Gamespot on the PC, I can safely say this game is hype worthy.

In this game, you are set out in a sandbox adventure, killing animals for skin, meat, and fun. You are also able to take out enemy tribes any way you deem fit.

Also, you can set animals, enemies, and the landscape on fire.

The game will be released on February 23rd for Xbox one and PS4, and PC on March 1st.

PC Sys req as follows:
Minimum:
CPU: Core i3-550 / Phenom II X4 955
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 4 GB
OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 / Radeon HD 5770 1 GB
Free Disk Space: 20 GB

Recommended:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K | AMD FX-8350 or equivalent
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 8 GB
OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 | AMD Radeon R9 280X or equivalent
Free Disk Space: 20 GB

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Reviews and general coverage starts coming in...

Gamespot 8/10
    Giantbomb Quicklook

...looks fine. Might even give it a launch window purchase. I love how visceral the spear chucking looks. I wanted a stone age game eversince Molyneux teased me with that B.C. game for the OG Xbox that never came to fruition.

Also - watching this made me think the next Far Cry game should have us play as Robin Hood. That'd be dapper as fuck. It's quite certainly public domain by now.

BranniganSepp on
    FleebCaptainNemo
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular

Gamespot 8/10
    Giantbomb Quicklook

...looks fine. Might even give it a launch window purchase. I love how visceral the spear chucking looks. I wanted a stone age game eversince Molyneux teased me with that B.C. game for the OG Xbox that never came to fruition.

Also - watching this made me think the next Far Cry game should have us playing as Robin Hood. That'd be dapper as fuck.

The best thing about the Gamespot review, is that people can create mods to fill in the holes.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    You can turn off the skinning animations?! Game of the year.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Medium DaveJusticeforPluto
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Sounds pretty mediocre via ArsTechnica -
    When you've mastered beast mastery—as well as all of the game's barely related plot threads—Primal... just ends. In my case, at least, it ended in the most anticlimactic way possible. Having buttoned up the game's only major threats, I returned to my tribe's growing village to speak with one last side quest dispenser. Then there was a perfunctory 30-second cut scene and then… the credits began to roll. It was the perfect abrupt close to a game without a lick of rising or falling action.

If ever there was a game that deserved a hackneyed science fiction twist, it’s Far Cry Primal. Sadly, the game keeps the face below its sloping brow entirely straight, owl-operated drone strikes notwithstanding.

If you’re still charmed by the blueprint that was originally laid out in Far Cry 3, then by all means give this club a swing. See how it feels in your hands. If not, then nothing Primal attempts is going to change your mind about the trajectory of the series. If you've never run this particular grind before, know that there are at least two other games out there with slightly more verve and variety.

The good:
    •Looks and runs great on both consoles.
    •The craft, kill, capture loop still provides a low-grade catharsis.
    •The Beast Master system adds a tiny hint of variety.

The bad:
    •The weakest story of any Far Cry game—which is saying something
    •Very little weapon and combat variety.
    •It feels mostly recycled from past games.

The ugly:
    •Downing skulls full of human blood in order to see "visions."

Verdict: Far Cry Primal is video game aspirin—numbing and nondescript but basically pleasant. Try it

I think what gets me about this review, is that describing a 60 dollar game as numbing and nondescript doesn't mean someone should try it, there's so many GOOD games out there these days that the mediocre are a waste of cash and more importantly, a waste of time. Also, there's been no PC reviews, so you might want to wait and see. I don't recall how the previous FC did on PC out of the gate. Also for what its worth, setting stuff on fire has been in for a few games, I know in the third one I made good use of fire to kill off groups of enemies that had pursued me into the grass.

Nosf on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know nothing about Far Cry yet some of the things like living in the Mesolithic period, building your own weapons and goofing around as a hunter gather when it was tres chic sounds like fun
    But again I know nothing about Far cry other than it's a fps

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is there a compelling "must buy at launch" reward or special multiplayer situation? This is a game I want, but I figure I'll get it in six months or so.

What is this I don't even.
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Nosf wrote: »
    When you've mastered beast mastery—as well as all of the game's barely related plot threads—Primal... just ends. In my case, at least, it ended in the most anticlimactic way possible. Having buttoned up the game's only major threats, I returned to my tribe's growing village to speak with one last side quest dispenser. Then there was a perfunctory 30-second cut scene and then… the credits began to roll. It was the perfect abrupt close to a game without a lick of rising or falling action.

If ever there was a game that deserved a hackneyed science fiction twist, it’s Far Cry Primal. Sadly, the game keeps the face below its sloping brow entirely straight, owl-operated drone strikes notwithstanding.

If you’re still charmed by the blueprint that was originally laid out in Far Cry 3, then by all means give this club a swing. See how it feels in your hands. If not, then nothing Primal attempts is going to change your mind about the trajectory of the series. If you've never run this particular grind before, know that there are at least two other games out there with slightly more verve and variety.

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

Verdict: Far Cry Primal is video game aspirin—numbing and nondescript but basically pleasant. Try it

I think what gets me about this review, is that describing a 60 dollar game as numbing and nondescript doesn't mean someone should try it, there's so many GOOD games out there these days that the mediocre are a waste of cash and more importantly, a waste of time. Also, there's been no PC reviews, so you might want to wait and see. I don't recall how the previous FC did on PC out of the gate. Also for what its worth, setting stuff on fire has been in for a few games, I know in the third one I made good use of fire to kill off groups of enemies that had pursued me into the grass.

I always thought the story was a detractor in Far Cry games, mostly because I never found it to be anything else than dull and unsympathetic. It's the core gameplay loop that brings me joy in these games. Granted, after Far Cry 3 & 4, it's grown a little bit stale. I think playing a beastmaster with bow and arrow, spears, and a club - doing all those things you do in a Far Cry game - gathering and hunting, crafting gear, leveling up, clearing outposts with stealth and/or brute force, will play and feel different enough from its predecessors to make it worthwhile regardless of the fatigue I felt by the end of Far Cry 4. The setting is 100% certified fresh, at the very least.

That said, I highly doubt what it offers will be enough to get me past the friction of buying Primal in its launch window at full price. At 30 odd bucks though, I'd definitely enjoy this.

P.S. I think it's a fallacy to qualify a game as mediocre because of franchise fatigue. I think the core gameplay loop of Far Cry 3 & 4 are excellent, and if Primal were your first Far Cry game, it still would be just about as excellent as it was for me when I first played Far Cry 3. It's fair to say that if one feels franchise fatigue, Primal is just about the same game, and probably won't renew anybody's interest. I just think that doesn't make it a worse game at its core.

For example, I haven't played Zelda game in over a decade. I don't doubt that they're still just as fine games as they ever were. I'm still waiting for that next leap. Like the leap from A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time. It's fair to say that Primal is not that, rather it's akin to one of the countless A Link to the Past-template Zelda games that came out for Nintendo's various handheld platforms over the years.

BranniganSepp on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    They removed multiplayer for this one. I'd say if you never played a Far Cry game before and are curious, grab FC4 + DLC for... 30 bucks? It's on sale now and then on various platforms.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Ah. I remembered multi being a big feature early on. Well, I'm not in need of a game, so I'll just be waiting to get this cheap in 6-18 months.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    This was a fairly cool ideal to try to take things, I have to admit, but it sounds like Primal will end up in that FPS subgenre of stuff that was interesting but quickly forgotten.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah, this sounds like a "buy at $40 or less" kind of thing, so I will do just that

I'm happy they took out multiplayer though

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Meta is at 77 right now. I have enjoyed plenty of games where the main gripe is "I didn't like story" etc. Because it always tends to be opinion and from everything I have seen of the game it is just what I wanted from Farcry for awhile. Perhaps it just speaks to me as a tribal minority... dunno. The environments look amazing. You can tame shit. Use that shit to kill other shit. And farcry out with stone age weaponry. Sale here. Cant wait to play it at 9 PST.

Edit: Also I am not expecting a particularly strong narrative from a stone age environment anyway. Even Earth's Children series had its moments.

Jubal77 on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    You can turn off the skinning animations?! Game of the year.

They were always a little to much for me (I hate hurting animals) and time consuming.

This is good news.

Wow, really? I always thought they were pretty tame

They didn't show the whole animal skinned like in RDR

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »

Gamespot 8/10
    Giantbomb Quicklook

Also - watching this made me think the next Far Cry game should have us playing as Robin Hood. That'd be dapper as fuck.

The best thing about the Gamespot review, is that people can create mods to fill in the holes.

Do people really make substantial mods for Far Cry games? Looking at the ones out for Far Cry 4 it's mostly HUD changes or things like unlocking all attachments and weapons from the start. I doubt the mod i'd want most will ever be made for any of them, even.

It looks like it might be fun the way Far Cry 4 was. I'll wait until there's a sale.

Wow, really? I always thought they were pretty tame

They didn't show the whole animal skinned like in RDR

Those were even worse!

Although I'm a big baby when it comes to animals.

Mulletude
    Guys, this game is really fun.

Only complain is Ubisoft is still trying way to hard to make every one "crazy".

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I wish I could drum up some personal interest in this game, but every time I look at it, I just see a huge waste of an opportunity for an open-world Not-Turok game. Seriously, we had "magic" in FC3, we had all the high-tech stuff in Blood Dragon, and now all this primitive stuff in Primal. Throw in some dinosaurs and BLAMO, super-awesome.

But everything I've seen for Primal has generated zero interest for me. Pity.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I remember when the first Far Cry came out. That game was all about one thing -- far sight ranges. That game boasted the farthest sight distances of any game to that point. It was a sniper's dream. Plus the scanning tool for marking enemies was fairly revolutionary for it's time. And while Crytek no longer has the rights to the Far Cry IP, since they left Ubisoft, they carried over their scanning tool in Crysis and it is glorious there too.

Back on the topic of Far Cry - One is honestly the only game I've ever beaten. I got FC2 for cheap during a Steam sale a while back. Booted it up. Thought I would give it a fair shot. Then they lost me when my character randomly started puking for no good reason. That random puke mechanic ruined the game for me. It's like in the Wii version of Super Smash Bros where your character can just randomly trip and fall over for some dumbass reason. Games don't need a random RNG bad thing that can happen to you as a gameplay gimmick. It's stupid and I hate it. Far Cry 3 looked neat, and I never played it! But I did play Blood Dragon! At least I started Blood Dragon. And I super duper enjoyed it. Then my hard drive crashed and I never went back to it after replacing the drive. I bought FC4 on my PS4, played it twice and lost interest. I didn't care for the villain. He was too "James Bond Villain"-y for me. He felt very cartoonish, over the top just for the sake of being a wacky villain, and he reminded me just a little too much of the villain in Skyfall, who was annoyingly dumb.

And that's my history with Far Cry.

Primal looks meh. It needs dinosaurs. Give me the ability to throw spears and rocks and dinos and I'm sold. I don't care if that isn't historically accurate. I want to mount up on a sabertooth tiger steed and then charge a T-Rex with a spear in hand. If they give me that, then I'll be interested.

Lucascraft on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Huh.

Jim Sterling is normally really harsh on Ubisoft games, but he really digs this one. Might be worth checking out.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    Oh man, if you have a thing with eyeballs cover your eyes the first time you enter the Shamans hut.

Bleh!

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Oh man, if you have a thing with eyeballs cover your eyes the first time you enter the Shamans hut.

Bleh!

My thing with eyeballs is called my face.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    JusticeforPlutoGSM

Bleh!

My thing with eyeballs is called my face.

And I stand by my Bleh!

CaptainNemo
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yeah this game may just excite my inner native but I really, really, enjoyed the first 2 hours. Nothing groundbreaking really but it is really easy to drive forward a stone age story and the game is just beautiful. Insanely beautiful to me. Which also might be that I am plateau native so the vistas of rock and tree additionally call to me. First two hours are a solid 8 with leanings towards mid 8. Note: I am not expecting anything entirely fancy from a stone age game. In fact getting to overboard would dispel the immersion to me.

Jubal77 on
    edited February 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUf25xGwQo0

Expert mode sounds sweet, since people like Jeff of GiantBomb fame say the game's too easy, which makes the progression system kinda pointless, since the low difficulty makes it unnecessary overkill.

Shame it doesn't add more survival elements. Like healing by eating fills up your stomach, and once you're full, you cannot simply chow down on another piece of meat to get your health up.

Maybe somebody will mod the game to be a full singleplayer survival game on PC, which apparently supports modding natively. Hell - these days, where even cosoles flirt with the idea of mods (and probably eventually monetizing them), we might even get such a thing on Xbox One and PS4 as well.

On the topic of mod monetization, I guess the angle to take is to require a minimum price depending on the filesize of the mod. Like mods smaller than a gigabyte can be free. Anything between 1 and 10 gigabytes has to cost at least 5 bucks (one third of which goes in an even split to the platform holder and publisher of the game), and anything larger than 10 gigabytes has to be priced at at least 20 bucks.

Seems sensible to me.

BranniganSepp on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I feel like far cry 4 completely burned me out on this, the story and characters were just such rot. And I can tell this one will have a similar meandering and pointless time waster of a story too. gameplay loops are fun and all, but not full price for me any more. Looks neat I'll check it out when it's half price or less. I'm actually ok with there not being dinosaurs, this is a rare setting and that's always a good thing to have

I remember the spear combat being really awkward looking in previews and that also out me off, just like no weight or variety, just piddly Morrowind-style thrusts

Prohass on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

For me this doesnt matter much cause I don't think I've ever actually beaten a Far Cry Game. I play until the missions feel repetative and find something else to play. I enjoy it for a while up to that point tho.

I picked it up last night. It's fun so far.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    As someone who has never played a Farcry game, this definitely has my interest. I've been waiting for a good first-person stone age setting since Turok (i know not really stone age but you know what i mean). Will probably wait till it's on sale though, because I'm a cheap bastard.

Fleeb on
  • IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Fleeb wrote: »
    As someone who has never played a Farcry game, this definitely has my interest. I've been waiting for a good first-person stone age setting since Turok (i know not really stone age but you know what i mean). Will probably wait till it's on sale though, because I'm a cheap bastard.

That's not being a cheap bastard - that's being smart.

Never buy games new. Wait a few months and they'll be cheaper and patched.

Indoorsman on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Indoorsman wrote: »

I usually find this the thing to do for single player and MMO expansions only. Multiplayer games are make or break at launch, so the best thing for them is to wait for the reviews or word of mouth from fans.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular

You are wise...
    ...but I want them noooooooooooooooooow.

azith28
  • IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I make exceptions. I'm crazy about Mass Effect, so I'll buy the new one day one.

But usually I wait. I found Witcher 3 and AS: Syndicate for 30 bucks a piece. All patched up. Those two alone will keep me busy into the summer. By then, Primal will be half off at least.

Wasn't trying to threadjack. This does look cool, and the reviews have been mostly positive. I've long thought that a 'caveman' game would be a good idea. Glad someone tried it.

Indoorsman on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I am so proud of myself for not buying this and s few others already. It's not like I have a shortage of games to play.

vamen
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I make exceptions. I'm crazy about Mass Effect, so I'll buy the new one day one.

But usually I wait. I found Witcher 3 and AS: Syndicate for 30 bucks a piece. All patched up. Those two alone will keep me busy into the summer. By then, Primal will be half off at least.

Wasn't trying to threadjack. This does look cool, and the reviews have been mostly positive. I've long thought that a 'caveman' game would be a good idea. Glad someone tried it.

oh no worries, I don't think anyone thought you were doing that at all. In reality I SHOULD wait on 99% of games before I buy them (speaking as a day 1 purchasers of PC Arkham Knight!), especially considering my epic backlog.
    I just rarely do...though I'm getting better!

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to Redbox this. Then I'll wait for it to go on sale if I like it. That worked pretty well with 4.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Rented this last night, played a couple of hours.

Seems ok. This feels sort of Far Cry, but not quite. It's missing a lot of the stuff I like from 3 and 4 and it feels very slim right now, like they had an idea for a prehistoric game and then shoved it into the Far Cry engine. Skin this! Collect this herb! Sic this tiger on this dude! Stealth murder this guy! If this was released at $40, I'd be nodding my head, yes, that sounds about right.

I think maybe the best thing, for me, is that it's enough not the Far Cry that I like that I don't feel like I'm just playing a weak Far Cry.

I love this game.

Biggest complaint is the characters (no one can just be normal) and every now and then I jump off a cliff thinking I have a wingsuit.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I love this game.

Biggest complaint is the characters (no one can just be normal) and every now and then I jump off a cliff thinking I have a wingsuit.

I cannot stand this in video game writing. Every character is this big bombastic "look at me!" caricature in a desperate effort to make them not "boring". It leaves you feeling like nobody in the world is taking things seriously so why should you?

It's also a problem with mission design, a lot of games have you doing all this zany crazy nonsense in an effort to be exciting or funny, when it actually just disengages you and takes you out of the world, ruining any immersive feelings.

It comes from a misunderstanding that plot confusion and complication equals complexity and depth. It's why simple plots are often the most compelling, because it allows the emotive and immersive elements to breathe

Prohass on
    JusticeforPlutoAistan
    There were some fine characters in FC4

There were some shit ones too, mainly thinking of the two stoners because good goddamn do I hate stoner characters, and Longinus, but Sabal and Amita were relatively grounded, as was Noore. And Paul was interesting without going over the top

Pagan Min was also over the top in a pretty compelling way

There were some fine characters in FC4

There were some shit ones too, mainly thinking of the two stoners because good goddamn do I hate stoner characters, and Longinus, but Sabal and Amita were relatively grounded, as was Noore. And Paul was interesting without going over the top

Pagan Min was also over the top in a pretty compelling way

The ideas behind the characters were interesting. With better writers they could of been great.

Right, there's no one in my village I care about. Far Cry 4 at least had Longinus. I felt his attempts at personal redemption were very interesting.