As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Tonight Mayweather allowed me to I dine on the sweet sweet tears of a bar full of MMA bros that failed to understand that maybe boxing is a different sport and that perhaps, just perhaps, a person can't walk off a Soccer field and on to an NFL field or vice versa.

McGregor absolutely put up one hell of a fight and I totally commend him for it. If he wants to hop over to boxing I think he has a pretty good shot at the title.

But for me tonight made it pretty clear boxing isn't currently his game.

I love MMA, I've fought MMA, but man these dudes are just exhausting to deal with. The vast majority of them have never set foot in a fight gym much less the ring or cage and they are all Subject Matter Experts. After catching up on the fight I am seeing the narrative change from "Connor is the best fighter in the world he's going to KO Mayweather" to "Boxing is bullshit! Mayweather should have fought him under MMA rules!" ignoring that McGregor threw the gauntlet down. And even some of them saying it was a fix.

Like, nah son. If you've ever actually participated in a fight you'd realize just how exhausted you can get.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    Tonight Mayweather allowed me to I dine on the sweet sweet tears of a bar full of MMA bros that failed to understand that maybe boxing is a different sport and that perhaps, just perhaps, a person can't walk off a Soccer field and on to an NFL field or vice versa.

McGregor absolutely put up one hell of a fight and I totally commend him for it. If he wants to hop over to boxing I think he has a pretty good shot at the title.

I love MMA, I've fought MMA, but man these dudes are just exhausting to deal with. The vast majority of them have never set foot in a fight gym much less the ring or cage and they are all Subject Matter Experts. After catching up on the fight I am seeing the narrative change from "Connor is the best fighter in the world he's going to KO Mayweather" to "Boxing is bullshit! Mayweather should have fought him under MMA rules!" ignoring that McGregor threw the gauntlet down. And even some of them saying it was a fix.

Like, nah son. If you've ever actually participated in a fight you'd realize just how exhausted you can get.

I know how exhausted I get from Wii boxing. An actual fight...

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

People that don't understand this stuff should be forced to do just one round of Bas Rutten's workout DVDs. I use that thing as a cardio workout and they can be pretty tough. It's 7 rounds in a row of punching combos, knees and burpees. I'm in decent shape and I'm winded by round 3 or 4.

People who have never done a single boxing/MMA workout in their lives know zilch about how the body reacts to stuff like that. They're idiots.

I feel like you should have to go through a week or two of conditioning workouts before you can comment on combat sports cardio.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

People that don't understand this stuff should be forced to do just one round of Bas Rutten's workout DVDs. I use that thing as a cardio workout and they can be pretty tough. It's 7 rounds in a row of punching combos, knees and burpees. I'm in decent shape and I'm winded by round 3 or 4.

People who have never done a single boxing/MMA workout in their lives know zilch about how the body reacts to stuff like that. They're idiots.

I feel like you should have to go through a week or two of conditioning workouts before you can comment on combat sports cardio.

I agree. Good fighters don't necessarily make good coaches and analysts, and good coaches and analysts don't have to be fighters (I know plenty of people who I think are pretty knowledgeable about fighting or are good teachers who haven't been successful fighters) but the people who I tend to encounter who are just talking shit usually aren't any of those.

And specifically conditioning is something they don't seem to know about. I've described the conditioning program for my high school wrestling team (as a wrestler, not a coach) to people I've instructed and had it described as bordering on child abuse. Combat sport conditioning is no joke.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Unless you're big country or fat bj Penn
    Then it's kinda a joke

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Hey, man.

Don't make fun of carrying rocks through the ocean.

Baby Jay don't play.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    688715894.0.jpg

For all you Askren haters out there, he won again and by TKO. 17-0-1!

UFC sign him arrrgh

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    688715894.0.jpg

UFC sign him arrrgh

"Ben, it's Dana, how would you like to have all your endorsement money disappear like a fart in the wind? Hello? Hello?"

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

I agree. Good fighters don't necessarily make good coaches and analysts, and good coaches and analysts don't have to be fighters (I know plenty of people who I think are pretty knowledgeable about fighting or are good teachers who haven't been successful fighters) but the people who I tend to encounter who are just talking shit usually aren't any of those.

And specifically conditioning is something they don't seem to know about. I've described the conditioning program for my high school wrestling team (as a wrestler, not a coach) to people I've instructed and had it described as bordering on child abuse. Combat sport conditioning is no joke.

Just adrenaline is enough to kill you in a fight.

Biggest fight I ever had by the time I climb in the ring I was already breathing heavy.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    688715894.0.jpg

UFC sign him arrrgh

"Ben, it's Dana, how would you like to have all your endorsement money disappear like a fart in the wind? Hello? Hello?"

Backstory?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »

Just adrenaline is enough to kill you in a fight.

Biggest fight I ever had by the time I climb in the ring I was already breathing heavy.

In the minute ride to a fire I have to catch myself and ramp down or you end up getting a big adrenaline drop off about five minutes into the job and you feel exhausted the rest of the time.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
  • Options
    i wonder what diego brandao is doing these days
    https://youtu.be/8gw_IvAzbcc
    oh..

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i wonder what diego brandao is doing these days
    https://youtu.be/8gw_IvAzbcc
    oh..

the one time i can't read cyrillic to understand a cage fight. it looks like he tried to bite him?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Two fights in five years
    http://www.gfycat.com/AnotherMerryIndianglassfish

Honestly believe he should retire. Forget 100%, I don't think he'll ever be 80% healthy again, and I'd rather what's left of his body (that isn't either 1) glass, or 2) held together by silly string and glue) be preserved

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone watch the Struve fight?

Man I love the guy. Sad to see him go down to other giant. Was a decent fight though.

• Options
    Unsurprisingly, Jon Jones' B sample came back positive for steroid

• Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Interestingly, the bogeyman himself, Jeff Novitsky has a silver lining for Bones.

“On the face of things, any sophisticated doper, or any doper who knows how to do a Google search, is not going to choose turinabol or any other chlorinated steroid,” Novitzky said. “They could very easily find that there is a detection window of 45 to 60 days and so with the facts that are out there, that Jon tested negative on July 6 and July 7, that means the substance entered his body between July 7 and July 28.

“Any sophisticated user, or anyone who does a Google search, will see it could be potentially two months in your system. Thus, it would not be a drug of choice if you had any level of sophistication.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/jon-jones-failed-b-sample-drug-test-good-news-ufc-star-014733737.html

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So it's pretty much 100% confirmed that the drug was indeed in his system. Unless of course you believe the that UFC has conspired to ruin JJ's career, totally reasonable considering that they hate money and have total control over USADA labs.

So in my mind that leaves a few options:
    • Someone drugged his food/drink (plausible, JJ is clearly a douchenozzle so I can see someone wanting to get at him).
    • Tainted supplements (turinabol makes that seem very unlikely).
    • Tainted designer steroid.
    • Fail to mask using another drug.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Unsurprisingly, Jon Jones' B sample came back positive for steroid

Officially a no contest. About to be stripped for the third time, a record I don't think anyone, even Conor, will break

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Campy wrote: »
    So it's pretty much 100% confirmed that the drug was indeed in his system. Unless of course you believe the that UFC has conspired to ruin JJ's career, totally reasonable considering that they hate money and have total control over USADA labs.

So in my mind that leaves a few options:
    • Someone drugged his food/drink (plausible, JJ is clearly a douchenozzle so I can see someone wanting to get at him).
    • Tainted supplements (turinabol makes that seem very unlikely).
    • Tainted designer steroid.
    • Fail to mask using another drug.

I never considered that first one.

What a wacky story that would be if undeniable evidence of an actual conspiracy emerged.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    GGG vs Canelo in what promises to be a by the numbers athletic contest with no surprises whatsoever.

Still excited tho.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    Mark Hunt did a fantastic and now really timely anti-cheating/doping op-ed for PlayersVoice https://www.playersvoice.com.au/mark-hunt-if-i-die-fighting-thats-fine/

• Options
    GGG

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    I'm still torn.

I could see it going either way but I think no matter what happens they beat the ever loving shit out of each other.

• Options
    GGG may be related to HHH
    therefore he cannot lose

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    therefore he cannot lose

Oh, he could still lose.

HHH once won an "Arkansas Hog Pen" match against Henry Godwin but was then thrown in the pig slop anyway, and once wrestled under the name Terra Ryzing. Losses are still possible for the Game.

Course 15 year old me just called him Paul.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    therefore he cannot lose

Oh, he could still lose.

HHH once won an "Arkansas Hog Pen" match against Henry Godwin but was then thrown in the pig slop anyway, and once wrestled under the name Terra Ryzing. Losses are still possible for the Game.

first of all i want you to tell us all of your stories about knowing wrestlers

second of all we are all jealous

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    therefore he cannot lose

Oh, he could still lose.

first of all i want you to tell us all of your stories about knowing wrestlers

second of all we are all jealous

Only ones I can say I hung out with for more than an hour or two at a time or more than like once a year are Randy Orton and his dad "Cowboy" Bob and like 2 weekends I spent at regional get togethers of the Cauliflower Alley Club at Harley Race's house back in high school (although I can say I've witnessed Harley Race bitch slap Greg Gagne for talking shit on Maddog Vachon at one of those). My anecdotes aren't all that numerous or outrageous when it comes to modern rasslers and I lost my "ins" with WWE 15 years ago.

My mom went to high school (Northeast High School, Kansas City MO, class of 1969) with Bob Orton and has stayed acquainted with him and his family ever since and her dad/my granddad was a friend of Harley Race and Nick Bockwinkle. Then a guy that I was in grade school with, his uncle was Ron Bass who was a road agent for WWE all through the late 80's and 90's. So my social circles just happened to feature a lot of old school names from 70's/80's growing up, and thanks to my friend's uncle all the way till I graduated high school, anytime WWF/WWE rolled through KC I could get in the back no problem. So younger me would meet/have some face time with guys once or twice a year, but I certainly wasn't besties with anyone nor am I still on most of their radars, but I was liked and respected compared to some of the other youngsters hanging round, because I was brought up round old-school guys and knew the dos and don'ts of the back areas and how to treat the talent.

One of the big things was learning what everyone preferred to go by and call them that. At the time when I was most around them, HHH was just becoming friends with Shawn and the idea for DX was forming and he wanted me to use his actual name, so I did.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Oh damn.

This is a really good fight.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    adelaide byrd wins again!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Its a shame that the judging talk is taking all the air out of commentary for this fight.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    Eh.

Professional wrestling has been doing that for years.

• Options
    maybe they should do a casket match

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Too been done, we need to go back to a stipulation only used once:

https://youtu.be/nphMb538azw

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    salmonella or nah?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

Ah yes, Col. DeBeers. An openly racist pro-Apartheid heel wrestler who didn't even have a South African accent.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Ah yes, Col. DeBeers. An openly racist pro-Apartheid heel wrestler who didn't even have a South African accent.

You know your shitty death-throes of the AWA, bravo, sir!

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    hmm gohkan saki

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!