As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    This Helwani thing ... I think it just killed the last of my interest in the UFC. Let me know when a better MMA organization pops up.
    Feel free to check the OP.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'm still amazed by how damn good that card was and how little I care about Brock being back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    yesssssss
    its ok, you'll care when hes holding the strap over his head again

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If whoever his opponent is doesn't immediately target his body and punch him right in the diverticulitis, its a work.

Overeem did it in their last fight and he fell over instantly. Though, he may be fully healed by now, I doubt your body is ever the same after having a foot length piece removed...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I think a world champion kick boxer weighing one eighth of a ton kicking you in stomach often has that effect.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    I think a world champion kick boxer weighing one eighth of a ton kicking you in stomach often has that effect.

I don't think the threshold of difference between world champion kick boxer and UFC top 10 heavyweight is enough to make The Reem an outlier.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm still amazed by how damn good that card was and how little I care about Brock being back.
    What if they got Fedor

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Oh my jeebus, Brock vs Fedor. Admittedly a few years late to the party, but still!

Also, Michael bleedin' Bisping is middleweight champion! What crazy world have I woken up in this weekend?!

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    What a great card.

I was a little sad to see Faber lose such a lopsided fight, but I'm a fan of Cruz as well, so I'm happy for him.

Also, it was heartwarming to see Bisping celebrating in the octagon with his family. He must be a pretty entertaining Dad.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Just hearing about the mmafighting.com debacle from the weekend. I'm hoping that UFCs knee jerk reaction is exactly that, and will be rescinded soon. Ariel is literally the best in the business, but seems to be on the receiving end of UFC brass' pettiness lately. While I haven't heard of the videographer, Lin is another name that comes up consistently when looking at MMA. The fact that both of those, let alone just Helwani have been given a complete ban from UFC events would be laughable if it weren't so depressing.

Having said all that, hasn't Ariel been banned from UFC shows before? I seem to remember a stint where he'd report from outside the event centres whenever UFC was on since he couldn't get in. And he still managed to put shows together and become the most celebrated journalist in the sport...

Christ alive this company is run by children.

Campy on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Brock vs Mark Hunt

Also Brock doesn't tweet or know who Helwani is, so yeah feel free to doubt that bullshit Yahoo report about him being pissed about the tweet

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    According to Jeremy Botter CM Punk is targeting UFC 202 to be his debut against Mickey Gall.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Brock vs Mark Hunt

Also Brock doesn't tweet or know who Helwani is, so yeah feel free to doubt that bullshit Yahoo report about him being pissed about the tweet

Sweet dreams Brock.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Brock vs Mark Hunt

Sweet dreams Brock.

its hard to knock someone out when you're being f5'd

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Brock vs Mark Hunt

Sweet dreams Brock.

its hard to knock someone out when you're being f5'd

If we go by Brock's recent WWE run Hunt will be German suplexed like 12 times.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Dana White spoke with TMZ, and commented on the situation with Ariel Helwani. While noted that as far as Helwani covering UFC events, “He can cover all the events he wants, he just can’t have a credential.”

When asked if Helwani’s ban was a life sentence, White responded with “As long as I’m here.” Finally, White was asked if Helwani would be allowed to attend UFC 200 if he bought a ticket, White replied, “Yes.”

What a wonderful human being Dana White is

• Options
    eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Not sure why anyone is surprised by UFC media credential shenanigans, they've been pulling this stuff forever.

eEK! on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Maybe the latest sale rumors will hold up and Dana and company won't be there much longer.

A guy can dream.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Brock vs Mark Hunt

Bork can probably win that fight. God, I hope he gets out to sleep, though.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Dan Henderson has some cool neighbors.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Dana White spoke with TMZ, and commented on the situation with Ariel Helwani. While noted that as far as Helwani covering UFC events, “He can cover all the events he wants, he just can’t have a credential.”

When asked if Helwani’s ban was a life sentence, White responded with “As long as I’m here.” Finally, White was asked if Helwani would be allowed to attend UFC 200 if he bought a ticket, White replied, “Yes.”

Helwani did his live show today and commented. There were a lot of tears, essentially his career's done and he knows it, 2 friends who did nothing are likely having the same fate, and he talked about his history with Zuffa/Dana. The latter important/especially gross because he implied, and FrontRowBrian (another major insider for the sport) specifically confirmed that, at 172 a Dana bodyguard threw him against a wall and choked him

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Helwani did his live show today and commented. There were a lot of tears, essentially his career's done and he knows it, 2 friends who did nothing are likely having the same fate, and he talked about his history with Zuffa/Dana. The latter important/especially gross because he implied, and FrontRowBrian (another major insider for the sport) specifically confirmed that, at 172 a Dana bodyguard threw him against a wall and choked him

woohoo freedom of the press

seriously this is effing stupid

• Options
    eEK! wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone is surprised by UFC media credential shenanigans, they've been pulling this stuff forever.

You kinda hope that at some point the men running this company would actually become so, rather than being egotistical little children.

• Options
    Kimbo Slice has been hospitalized and is reportedly in serious condition. TMZ reports that the MMA fighter, real name Kevin Ferguson, was admitted to a hospital in Coral Springs, Florida near his home earlier today. The site says that according to multiples sources, “the situation does not look good” but did not say what said situation was.

According to TMZ, police are at his home getting information from family members. Slice fought at Bellator 149 in February, beating Dhafir “Dada 5000” Harris, but the win was overturned when Slice tested positive for a banned steroid.

• Options
    Reports coming in that he's passed

This fucking year sucks

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Nothing is official yet, but yeah. There are a few people on Twitter saying that he's passed.

Though Jeremy Botter seems to think that Billy Corben knows what's up. I suppose he knew Kimbo outside of the fight game.

EDIT: And now Corben has removed the tweet where he said that Kimbo died.

Not sure what to think anymore.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    People seem to be taking Corben's word on the matter. I've heard him in a couple of interviews and he doesn't seem the type to hoax the general public about something like this, so I believe it might be true that Kimbo has passed.

He supposedly had a heart attack and they just couldn't do anything to save him.

• Options
    UFC lifted the ban on Helwani

• Options
    UFC lifted the ban on Helwani

I guess Dana really did care about the shitstorm of hate it received?

Also RIP Kimbo if the story is true.

• Options
    It's cool that the UFC relented on Helwani and the MMA Fighting team in general, but this passage certainly is concerning.

Good on them for backtracking and doing it with the quickness, but still kind of fuck them for not understanding how journalism works.

• Options
    More and more sources are confirming Slice has indeed passed.

Damn

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    RIP The Greatest

4LyTLbJl.jpg

rip ali too

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    More and more sources are confirming Slice has indeed passed.

Damn

Yeah. Seems pretty official at this point.

• Options
    Sad. Kimbo was divisive, but he had a real magnetism. You may not have liked him as a fighter, but you'd always talk about his fights.

He was a real chill, cool dude on TUF. I still contend that he nearly KO'd Roy Nelson in their TUF fight.

RIP Kimbro

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    According to his FB, that Emil Meek viking dude has signed with the UFC

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Very sad about Kimbo. Liked the guy even if he was over hyped and always heard he was good with the fans. Cause of death is listed as a heart attack, I'd bet money it's due to an enlarged heart from PED use. Real shame though.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/keRaWLVOuPQ

Interesting if you're into jiujitsu that now both Pedro and Rickson are involved in Gracie Academy and they're making changes to how they do things ((including adding a belt)).

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    So here's the card for UFC 200.

Hot.

DAMN.

Light Heavyweight: Daniel Cormier (c) vs. Jon Jones (ic)
    Heavyweight: Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt
    Women's Bantamweight: Miesha Tate (c) vs. Amanda Nunes
    Featherweight: José Aldo vs. Frankie Edgar
    Heavyweight: Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne
    Women's Bantamweight: Cat Zingano vs. Julianna Peña
    Welterweight: Johny Hendricks vs. Kelvin Gastelum
    Bantamweight: T.J. Dillashaw vs. Raphael Assunção
    Lightweight: Sage Northcutt vs. Enrique Marín
    Middleweight: Gegard Mousasi vs. Derek Brunson
    Lightweight: Diego Sanchez vs. Joe Lauzon
    Lightweight: Jim Miller vs. Takanori Gomi

I've bolded the bouts that I'm personally super interested in, but pretty much this entire card is fire.

Mega $$$$.

• Options
    Man, MMA is too crazy. Everything is happening.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Kimbo was told days ago he'd need a heart transplant
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/5/25/11773146/bellator-forged-fighter-medicals-zach-light-claim-adam-rendon-scott-coker-rich-chou-mma-news Former employee claims Bellator allowed forged and falsified fighter medical reports
    "Approximately 48 hours prior to Martinez's scheduled fight at Bellator 126, [Light] promptly reported what he had learned to Rich Chou, defendant BELLATOR's Vice President of Talent. Chou assured [Light] that he would follow up and that [Light] should focus on his job. When [Light] heard nothing further from Chou, he approached Coker regarding Martinez' impending fight based on forged medicals, in violation of Arizona law. Coker told [Light] to ‘do what Chou told you to do,' without addressing these issues. Thereafter, [Light] again brought the subject up to Chou. Chou threatened [Light] with termination if he kept pushing the issue. [Light] later learned that after losing his bout, Martinez never resumed his mixed martial arts career.

"Prior to the Bellator 131 event, [Light] told Coker that fighters had been suspended for using Rendon to sign their medicals because Rendon was not a licensed physician. Coker told [Light], ‘a lot of people at Bellator are going to lose their jobs next week. Do you want to keep yours?' Coker added, ‘then stay in your lane and stop making waves!' Fearful of losing his job, [Light] said nothing further regarding the falsified medical reports."

Strongly wondering if Kimbo was one of the fighters they falsified records for in order to allow fight. Hope this continues to be investigated