As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Why is the d-pad on the left side?

DisappointDisappoint Registered User regular
Gunpei Yokoi created the d-pad and the entire industry was quick to accept his invention as an industry standard but I've been thinking what if they were wrong? About putting it on the left side I mean.

We human mammals are predominantly right handed so something like this image would seem to have made more sense right?

zjTUoDy.jpg

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    If you consider movement more important than fighting/interacting/whatever else the other buttons do, perhaps.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Despite the festive colours, those other things are also pressed. Nah, movement is the more finicky side in many games, but it would probably end up roughly the same for most people. Handedness makes a bigger difference for untrained hands than for trained ones.

Lefthanded people are pretty much forced to do things the righthanded way pretty often, and it's annoying to get used to, but they don't really end up notably less skilled.

PLA on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Buttons also require your hand to be more mobile, pressing keys in diffrent positions, whereas you other hand never really lifts off the dpad, instead rolling around the centre. This is the reason thumbsticks work as well as they do. And as most people are right handed we get the pattern we do.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Even as a left-handed person, I don't know if I could easily switch.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Oh, I just noticed that layout is kind of arcadestick-like. So you're meant to have one finger per button on average, resolving the mobility-issue. Doesn't look comfortable, though. Stickbuttons don't tend to use a straight horizontal alignment.

PLA on