As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Patch 2.2.0: "Wear What You Want, Yeeesss?" - Variks, the Fashionable

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    RE: Loot

I think my biggest frustration (using a WoW) comparison, is that I may have raided for weeks on end in Ulduar to get a drop, but when it did drop I knew it had the exact specs I wanted.

Destiny's loot system is the same as running Resto-Druid in Ulduar, getting that drop you wanted from Yogg-Saron, but instead of spirit/haste is has strength/hit and it's a level 73.

They've got one too many variables on their gear and no way to reforge them...RNG light level, perks and an abysmal drop rate make it hard to enjoy the loot side of this game (luckily the shooting is amazing).

There are still TONS of weapons I haven't seen drop out of the crucible (I'm not talking drop with good perks, I mean haven't seen them at all) and I think I'm approaching 200 hours played (not much by comparison to a lot of players, but a lot more time than I've put into any other game since I stopped playing WoW). It would be nice if "End game" pvp would at least guarantee a minimum light level on the gear, even 300.... it's supposed to be the end game, why are we only seeing drops in the 260's to 280's all the time?

Same for raids... if loot in KF is supposed to be up to 310 gear it should drop with a minimum light of 300. Give HMKF 310 to 320 ranges to show that it's the next progression.

Edit - I'm not that frustrated... this complaint is kind of a first world problems type of complaint about destiny. My guardians Latte is too cold....

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

Same for raids... if loot in KF is supposed to be up to 310 gear it should drop with a minimum light of 300. Give HMKF 310 to 320 ranges to show that it's the next progression.

That's exactly how KF loot works, actually. =P

I'd argue that 305-310 and 315-320 would be more appropriate ranges for end-game activities, but that's just because I'm tired of seeing 310 HM loot that's worthless to me.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    Erevar wrote: »

I'd argue that 305-310 and 315-320 would be more appropriate ranges for end-game activities, but that's just because I'm tired of seeing 310 HM loot that's worthless to me.

Hah... well that works then. :P

I've raided once... I just assumed it had janky LL drops like Trials and IB does.

I need to trade my schedule for a better one and get some raid time in.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    CelianCelian Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

I've raided once... I just assumed it had janky LL drops like Trials and IB does.

Trials it's kinda weird. You get those low-random drops at 260ish light levels. Those are also not the "real" Trials set. The weekly drops for a 5 win card and 7 win card will always be above 300, maxing out at 310. The Lighthouse gear will be 310 to 320. Edit: You can also randomly get a class item, those seem to typically be in the 300-305 range, although I always do Trials in the 311+ LL.

Iron Banner has random reward drops after the game and those tend to always be below 300 lights (I might be wrong). Your package rewards for rank 3 is always a 310 blue artifact to infuse. Your rank 5 package will have any IB item in the 300+ range. I got both a 320 ghost and a 318 primary this year from that. Think I got some 315 boots as well and maybe gloves too? Regardless, the rank 5 package seems to favor higher light level rewards.

Celian on
    PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    One annoying thing about HM KF loot compared to the Y1 raids is how you don't really get double drops anymore. In Y1 HM you got two chances for useful gear, whereas in KF you get one chance for useful loot and one chance for crap. It would've been nice if the the non-Harrowed gear in HM could roll from 300-320 so that it could have a possibility of not being instantly salvaged.

I definitely prefer the new light system though, there isn't much difference doing HM at 310 vs. 320, but the gap from 29->30 was huge.

Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    bicr8lpyr1tv.jpg

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Y3 Kneepads incoming.

PSN: BenTheFrenchy || Xbox: TheCanuck || Battle.Net: Celian#1956 || the100.io Pax Group
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Celian wrote: »
    I don't think any comparison with Diablo has merit, however.

I was not directly comparing the loot models. I was merely pointing out that Blizzard uses RNG, a lot. Where their solution is to just play more... and more. Eventually you get what you want!

Well, I mean yeah you have to play to get what you want

but Diablo 3 now also has where you can gamble a specific item type, or cube a specific item type, in the attempt to get the Legendary/Set item you want

You can also reroll the stats on an item, and you can trade, so that's pretty helpful

It has many more ways to refine your search, which Bungie started to latch onto with Reforging to get the stats you want and Etheric Light to bump an item up, but then TTK was like nah

D3 does have much more specific builds though that completely change your playstyle on a scale that Destiny doesn't touch. With that said, Light Level seems to be the biggest limiting factor. It really doesn't matter to me what type of hat I get and which stats and perks it has, as long as it has 320 LL, and that's the biggest crapshoot. The Raid Challenges finally help out some with that, but you need 6 people and still some luck. An Ascendant Light consumable that is basically Etheric Light for TTK would be nice. Limit it to 1 every 2-4 weeks or something, but put it behind something that you can solo so everyone has a chance.

Anyway I'm kinda rambling

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Trials it's kinda weird. You get those low-random drops at 260ish light levels. Those are also not the "real" Trials set. The weekly drops for a 5 win card and 7 win card will always be above 300, maxing out at 310. The Lighthouse gear will be 310 to 320. Edit: You can also randomly get a class item, those seem to typically be in the 300-305 range, although I always do Trials in the 311+ LL.

Iron Banner has random reward drops after the game and those tend to always be below 300 lights (I might be wrong). Your package rewards for rank 3 is always a 310 blue artifact to infuse. Your rank 5 package will have any IB item in the 300+ range. I got both a 320 ghost and a 318 primary this year from that. Think I got some 315 boots as well and maybe gloves too? Regardless, the rank 5 package seems to favor higher light level rewards.

That pretty much lines up with what I've seen for drops in both modes so far. My highest light primary is a 318 Nirwens with ok rolls from a rank 5 package last IB. The garbo light level trials drops are baffling... I don't get why they'd drop loot that's below vendor LL, though the drop rates aren't as terrible as other modes.

It just seems like Bungie has trouble lining up their PR statements with their loot tables... they stated (I think the iron banner before last) that the primary source of IB loot will be end of match drops... I've rank 5'd at least one character in IB since I started playing and I think the only drop I've gotten outside of ranked packages was a pretty decent SR... that's a lot of matches and not a lot of drops.

Edit - I think it just feels like a larger discrepancy because of the drop rates for engrams in Strikes... I can roll through 4-5 strikes pretty quickly and cram my inventory with engrams... an hour or two in the Crucible will net maybe two drops?

And obviously the strike engrams will largely be broken down into parts, but the same can often be said for the drop or two I'll grab out of PVP.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Man... how cool would it be if enemy guardians dropped engrams in crucible matches... nail a Sunbro and watch a blue or purple engram come rolling out of his pockets. (I love the in game engram animations/how they roll around)

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I just wish TTK hadnt introduced Infusion, it seems immensely flawed for all its worth, a good 3/4 parts of the gear in the game cant be infused so its not even remotely as cool as transmog could have been, Infusion seems really badly implemented too.

I miss my elemental primaries, I cant stand all the "useless perks" that TTK introduced, I love the game for how it plays but feel that Bungie has no idea of what they are doing and these cash shops + a tiny event, preferably PvP focused, is getting very tiresome.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    I don't think any comparison with Diablo has merit, however.

I was not directly comparing the loot models. I was merely pointing out that Blizzard uses RNG, a lot. Where their solution is to just play more... and more. Eventually you get what you want!

Well, I mean yeah you have to play to get what you want

but Diablo 3 now also has where you can gamble a specific item type, or cube a specific item type, in the attempt to get the Legendary/Set item you want

You can also reroll the stats on an item, and you can trade, so that's pretty helpful

It has many more ways to refine your search, which Bungie started to latch onto with Reforging to get the stats you want and Etheric Light to bump an item up, but then TTK was like nah

D3 does have much more specific builds though that completely change your playstyle on a scale that Destiny doesn't touch. With that said, Light Level seems to be the biggest limiting factor. It really doesn't matter to me what type of hat I get and which stats and perks it has, as long as it has 320 LL, and that's the biggest crapshoot. The Raid Challenges finally help out some with that, but you need 6 people and still some luck. An Ascendant Light consumable that is basically Etheric Light for TTK would be nice. Limit it to 1 every 2-4 weeks or something, but put it behind something that you can solo so everyone has a chance.

Anyway I'm kinda rambling

Yeah and the whole blood gems (or something) gambling you could do. There was a lot of RNG windows you could grind to try and get something. It's just more RNG ways, so really... my point about it being RNG heavy stands. I like Diablo 3 and how it works and it's been steadily improved over a few years. So I think it's in a good place, RNG to me isn't a negative knock.

As for the highlighted portion of your comment, I think Light Level does not matter as much as it does. Like, if you're not raiding HM Oryx every week, getting 320 is totally pointless. It doesn't help you out at all. Hell, being 300 is meaningless for the Nightfall. It's also entirely irrelevant for regular Crucible. In IB / Trials, as long as you're in the 305-315 range you're golden.

I can see why to some getting 320 would be that final checkbox to say "I'm done!!". Seeing as how my varying light level across my 3 guys haven't really affected any actual gameplay that I do, up to HM Oryx Challenge... I just don't care about 320. That 320 checkbox is getting replaced in a few months anyways...

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    To some extent I don't mind infusion, I mean you can take a good piece of vendor gear and make it basically as good as raid gear less the one situational perk that only matters in the raid.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Yeah, for lack of a system to change the look of your armor, I love being able to infuse up a choice set of armor.

• Options
    BookerBooker Registered User regular
    I made a mistake last night, and redeemed my Arminius-D order for a knockoff version without counterbalance. Fortunately the Gunsmith has new Arminius-D orders available today.

Anyone who missed a Doctrine of Passing should pick up 3 Arminius-D orders. One to start next week, one for the obligatory counterbalance roll, and one for a future god roll.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Yeah, that pretty much sums up a lot of the conversation that I heard and read about the Division: it isn't Destiny. Make it like Destiny.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    So I got Sugary Shell instead of Crimson Shell like I knew I would. Because Sirialis and I are salt brothers. But then the game took pity on me and the first drop of the raid brought me a 320 Kingslayer Shell so now I have 3x 320 Ghosts. Just need 2x 320 Helmets and 3x 320 Class Items now :P

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • Options
    Why do some shells not load when inspected?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Vagabond wrote: »
    So I got Sugary Shell instead of Crimson Shell like I knew I would. Because Sirialis and I are salt brothers. But then the game took pity on me and the first drop of the raid brought me a 320 Kingslayer Shell so now I have 3x 320 Ghosts. Just need 2x 320 Helmets and 3x 320 Class Items now :P

:bro:
    Why do some shells not load when inspected?

Probably due to new Ghost shell graphics effects? Maybe Bungie is just a little lazy? Several possible reasons, I'm basing the first one on Kingslayer shells not being inspectable back when released either, they will probably patch it in during a later patch.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I got my Hunter to lvl 40, now to do the same with my Titan and Warlock.

One thing that bugs me is the face that we are heading into the second year of this game and there is no in game clan menu still. It's lonely doing all this stuff by myself.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    On the xbox side frequently people just all join a party and yap even if they're in different games at times.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The two matches of Imbalanced Ballistics: Clash Edition was very sniper/MIDA-y. It did not help that the game put me on Pantheon and that other sniper lane map.

Damage referee is weird and I don't know if it's on or not, but I did see a sniper contrail clip through a piece of cover that I ducked behind as I rolled to register a hit... which coupled with the MIDA hits through walls made for a weird set of games.

The updated damage referee was extended to Clash 7 days ago according to forum posts by DeeJ

And I HATE it.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Damage referee you say?

https://youtu.be/aRcpSWOUCxU

Posted without further comment.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    He even has a green bar...

• Options
    Since the Referee is intended to confer benefits to those who are not lagging to the detriment of those with bad connections, have you considered that it might be you with the bad connection?

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Since the Referee is intended to confer benefits to those who are not lagging to the detriment of those with bad connections, have you considered that it might be you with the bad connection?

While your suggestion is not without merit, I very much doubt this is the case. I play with @rndmhero quite a bit and his connection is very girthy. Also note that the melee on the other folks works just fine.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Still need (at least) one for tonight! https://www.the100.io/game/542631

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    cncaudata wrote: »

While your suggestion is not without merit, I very much doubt this is the case. I play with @rndmhero quite a bit and his connection is very girthy. Also note that the melee on the other folks works just fine.

Something is definitely fishy there. Who really knows how Bungie shit works? Wouldn't be the first time something didn't work as intended.

EDIT: Indeed, how, in a P2P system would you determine which peer had the poorer connection?

Vagabond on
    vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Given the easily-quantifiable speed on my PC and silky performance in other games, I'm going to say no. Even by Bungie's opaque standards, we were both green bars in that game.

Occam's razor would suggest that as Bungie's connections have always been shit, they are in fact continuing to be shit.

Edit: That's not directed at you in particular. I'm just frustrated after a string of bullshit matches like that. I generally love iron banner, but it's hard to not throw up your arms and walk away when your bullets may just decide they're not killing today.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Indeed! But the benefit seems to apply irrespective of the ostensible indicator of connection quality

I think what we actually see is the fact that the bar means very little - as has been the suspicion for quite a while.

• Options
    EDIT: Indeed, how, in a P2P system would you determine which peer had the poorer connection?

Ostensibly it is a question of the connection to the other players. So, one possible measure is latency/packetloss to each peer and represent the connection quality as a proportion of "good" measurements across all peers. Something in that vein, I imagine.

• Options
    "Good" could be "Within the same range as the majority of other players or an absolute scale.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Coloured bars are dumb. Give me ping numbers or give me death!

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Ostensibly it is a question of the connection to the other players. So, one possible measure is latency/packetloss to each peer and represent the connection quality as a proportion of "good" measurements across all peers. Something in that vein, I imagine.

So in that case, you yourself (or rndmhero in this instance) could have a great connection in general, but if this guy had a better connection to the other people in the game (perhaps located closer to them physically), you could be on the receiving end of the Referee. Ideally the colored bars should indicate this, however I just watched a match linked on Reddit between kjhovey/mtashed and realcraftyy where on hovey's screen, everyone was green bars but there was visible teleporting, but on craftyy's screen people were yellow and red.

vq2TEKC.png
  • Options
    Oh, there is no question that there are network communication shennnigans going on - hence why the referee gets involved.

However, they appear to be more inexplicable than prior to its introduction and the fact that there isn't a method to reliably monitor your connection makes this an altogether greater Charlie Foxtrot

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Damn it all, I love Iron Banner Shenanigans.

SHORYUKEN

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Team Rocket blasting off again ! *ding*

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Switching my control scheme to LB for jump has been a god send. I'm still struggling to remember that my melee isn't in the same place it used to be, which can be embarrassing, but I've avoided a bunch of deaths tonight on my Titan that I never would've been able to get away from with the old control scheme.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    I am going to put X as a paddle for Trials of Osiris revive shenanigans

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I like how my skill level improves as Iron Banner progresses like some "An ancient evil has awakened" type bullshit because I go so long between playing this game in any serious capacity.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."