As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    Keep in mind they are also trying to sell Valkorian as some sort of 'gray' force user.

Who regularly committed genocide.

Gray.

I wouldn't so much say gray as more they're trying to make him more then just some stereotypical villain who wants to eat the galaxy's life-force for breakfast. You know, actually give some depth as well as mystery seeing as there HAS to be more to him setting up the Eternal Empire (and trying to find someone new to run it) then just as something to occupy him while waiting to properly enact Operation: Galaxy Buffet.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I find the Koth hate in this thread fascinating. The fact that he admires Valkorion and rejects your vision of the Emperor as evil is telling. It's proof Valkorion is more than Sith, because he built a stable and prosperous empire who's force users are neither Jedi nor Sith. Further, he actually managed to inspire loyalty in his own people, something that is anathema to the old empire. There's a duality between Vitiate and Valkorion, they appear to be completely different beings, yet they aren't.

So maybe that's why you guys hate Koth, because he has a legitimate reason to idolize a world eater. That and he tries to steal:
    The Gravestone, which is an automatic death sentence.

He knows full well the guy's a world eater and his response is "Well, he was always good to zakuul"

I don't hate him because he supposedly has "legitimate" reasons for loyalty I hate him because he knows how many died to bring him Zakuul...and he doesn't care.
    It's more than a little unreasonable to expect Koth to just up and turn around on his feelings about Valkorian. It would also be absurd for him to concede the point so early into the story. There's an excellent opportunity for character development if Koth came to the realization that Valkorian was a horrible monster. Being surrounded by all those people from the core worlds could snap him out of his hero worship. Having him straight up agree with the main character, without any growth, would make me hate him.

It's not unreasonable to expect someone to change their views on someone else upon discovering they eat worlds. That's ridiculous.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I find the Koth hate in this thread fascinating. The fact that he admires Valkorion and rejects your vision of the Emperor as evil is telling. It's proof Valkorion is more than Sith, because he built a stable and prosperous empire who's force users are neither Jedi nor Sith. Further, he actually managed to inspire loyalty in his own people, something that is anathema to the old empire. There's a duality between Vitiate and Valkorion, they appear to be completely different beings, yet they aren't.

So maybe that's why you guys hate Koth, because he has a legitimate reason to idolize a world eater. That and he tries to steal:

He knows full well the guy's a world eater and his response is "Well, he was always good to zakuul"

I don't hate him because he supposedly has "legitimate" reasons for loyalty I hate him because he knows how many died to bring him Zakuul...and he doesn't care.
    It's more than a little unreasonable to expect Koth to just up and turn around on his feelings about Valkorian. It would also be absurd for him to concede the point so early into the story. There's an excellent opportunity for character development if Koth came to the realization that Valkorian was a horrible monster. Being surrounded by all those people from the core worlds could snap him out of his hero worship. Having him straight up agree with the main character, without any growth, would make me hate him.

It's not unreasonable to expect someone to change their views on someone else upon discovering they eat worlds. That's ridiculous.
    I agree, but the change shouldn't be instant. Koth should be given time to accept the fact.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular

I agree, but the change shouldn't be instant. Koth should be given time to accept the fact.

The problem is he knows full well it's a fact and acknowledges it.

What should of happened is irrelevant, this is the story we're told.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

A better way for them to communicate that Koth has trouble accepting the Emperor as anything other than a good guy would be for him to deny that Valkorian and the guy who destroyed Ziost are the same person. Or for him to try to excuse it as an accident. Instead of what they went with, that Koth knows that planet was destroyed by his emperor, and he doesn't really care because it's not his people.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

A better way for them to communicate that Koth has trouble accepting the Emperor as anything other than a good guy would be for him to deny that Valkorian and the guy who destroyed Ziost are the same person. Or for him to try to excuse it as an accident. Instead of what they went with, that Koth knows that planet was destroyed by his emperor, and he doesn't really care because it's not his people.

If they aren't Zakuulan, are they really people?

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Wow! They're letting you kill LOTS of people here.
    I didn't go through with it, but that you can kill Satele Shan is disappointing--it means she's no longer going to be playing a role in the game.

And you can kill Angry Cat! Dang!

Chapter 12 spoiler
    If you're talking about the end of Chapter 12 where a dark side character can attack Satele, you can't actually kill her. You try and instantly fail.

• Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Wow! They're letting you kill LOTS of people here.
    I didn't go through with it, but that you can kill Satele Shan is disappointing--it means she's no longer going to be playing a role in the game.

And you can kill Angry Cat! Dang!

Chapter 12 spoiler
    If you're talking about the end of Chapter 12 where a dark side character can attack Satele, you can't actually kill her. You try and instantly fail.

That's actually a bit of a relief. I like her character.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Why attempt to kill when you can attempt to flirt?

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    Why attempt to kill when you can attempt to flirt?

I have GOT to get my Smuggler through the new content!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    My Scoundrel certainly isn't opposed to ladies with "experience".

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ugh, playing through warrior. That whole Quinn scene is just so awful without the choice to kill him. It's completely nonsensical for a sith from an RP perspective. Even a freaking jedi wouldn't let him back into the fold so quickly.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Blame all the people who complained about killing him and then having him actually be dead during the beta.

Also, just a reminder that this weekend is another double xp weekend. I'm looking forward to it. My gaming PC is in my living room, and I have a new couch being delivered Friday. I'm looking forward to some slow cooking on the grill and kicking back to play some TOR.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Blame all the people who complained about killing him and then having him actually be dead during the beta.

Also, just a reminder that this weekend is another double xp weekend. I'm looking forward to it. My gaming PC is in my living room, and I have a new couch being delivered Friday. I'm looking forward to some slow cooking on the grill and kicking back to play some TOR.

I know people complained. I just can't believe they didn't handle it with maybe like a double pop-up confirmation or something relatively heavy-handed but not quite as bad as what they did.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

I know people complained. I just can't believe they didn't handle it with maybe like a double pop-up confirmation or something relatively heavy-handed but not quite as bad as what they did.

I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping that one day they go back and add in companion death. There's no longer any mechanical reason that you need any particular companion, and you really only need one. Leave the droid as sacrosanct and let me leave the Warrior's ship a monument to the Force Choke.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I know it's a longshot, but I'm hoping that one day they go back and add in companion death. There's no longer any mechanical reason that you need any particular companion, and you really only need one. Leave the droid as sacrosanct and let me leave the Warrior's ship a monument to the Force Choke.

I don't know. I'm not sure 2V would survive the warrior after the events of kotfe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up, there's a 90CC character transfer sale starting tomorrow.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8940431#edit8940431

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular

IMO Bioware were right to not let people loose their only healer companion while leveling, without replacing him with another (healer) companion.
    Not just because how it might force Marauders/Juggernauts to play [in a way they didn't like, or just not befitting a Sith Warrior].
    It also had some very negative effects on Crafting & Gathering.
    But like Mancingtom mentioned, since 4.0 that's not really a problem. And it wouldn't have been if they had replaced him with a cyborg that could fill his role.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned that it's official that the Cantina is coming to Star Wars Celebration in London this summer.

• Options
    I only have two class stories left to finish!

Unfortunately I just can't seem to get excited about either the Knight or Trooper stories.

• Options
    Do you like shooting traitors? Trooper may be for you. Also, M1-4X is a big goddamn hero.

Do you want KOTOR 3? That's knight.

• Options
    I only have two class stories left to finish!

Unfortunately I just can't seem to get excited about either the Knight or Trooper stories.

I liked the Trooper story though it may not feel as big as the others. There are a couple of instances though where you actually have team missions with your entire group of Companions which is pretty cool and the Chapter III story ends up tying into the storyline of an Imperial companion.

• Options
    http://dulfy.net/2016/05/27/swtor-upcoming-items-from-patch-4-5/

There's a Platinum rarity now. Are you fucking kidding me?

• Options
    I think stuff got moved up, right? So bronze is now silver, silver is now gold, gold is now platinum? Or did they just introduce a whole new rarity because LOL MOVIESABER!?

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So previously they "got rid of" Bronze rarity

So for a while they only had Silver and Gold

But some of the Gold stuff (i.e. the unstable arbiter saber) was way, WAY more rare than the other things

So that level is now called Platinum

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    That color crystal, are we finally getting cartel versions of the standard colors, or is that different from ye olde red?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Is... is that a laser sight... on a sword? I'm not sure if that's awesome or pathetic.
    8B27218AC5764DC4.jpg

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Lasers go on everything.

Also, the Zakululans put bayonets on pistols, because that's totally functional and wouldn't utterly ruin your aim whilst providing you with a marginally effective knife for your gun fight.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Not about the new chapter, but about the companion recruitment that comes after the chapter
    Hylo sends you off to recruit a Senator. Broonmark is trying to kill the senator. Broonmark is now dead. For lightside points.

There's a lot I love about the new content.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, kind of disappointed they burned a recruitment spot on
    Broonmark, this week of all weeks, on top of my disappointment we didn't get a double recruitment of both Torian and Akaavi.

You can tell they didn't really care setting it up, either. At least Xalek had an interesting investigation that tied in with his earlier stuff--he specifically mentions in his vanilla conversations that his father died and is buried on Ilum. Desecration of a grave isn't that big a deal to me personally, accidental or otherwise, but I know there are cultures in the real world where that sort of thing is worse than murder, so I can at least appreciate where he was coming from.

Broonmark has basically no storyline to begin with beyond "I'm a psychopath and I've always been a psychopath; this makes me a misfit among my communal, peace-loving people; thanks for letting me express it, boss." And now they throw in "This Wookiee, on Alderaan, is telling stories about my people being nice, and we're not nice, we're supposed to be bloodthirsty shitheads, I'm gonna kill him till he stops oh look a lightsaber just took my head off."

I might not recruit Broonmark even with my Warrior if they don't give him any depth there.

I honestly think this might be their way of saying "Yeah Broonmark was a mistake of a character and so we're going to make it really hard for anyone not playing a complete shithead to recruit him again", but I'd rather he was just forgotten and his spot taken by someone more interesting.

Like, this chapter was full of stupid fucking Mandalorians being stupid fucking Mandalorians with the usual two exceptions of Shae and Torian, and I still liked it and it was miles better than Broonmark's recruitment mission.

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Broonmark, this week of all weeks, on top of my disappointment we didn't get a double recruitment of both Torian and Akaavi.

You can tell they didn't really care setting it up, either. At least Xalek had an interesting investigation that tied in with his earlier stuff--he specifically mentions in his vanilla conversations that his father died and is buried on Ilum. Desecration of a grave isn't that big a deal to me personally, accidental or otherwise, but I know there are cultures in the real world where that sort of thing is worse than murder, so I can at least appreciate where he was coming from.

Broonmark has basically no storyline to begin with beyond "I'm a psychopath and I've always been a psychopath; this makes me a misfit among my communal, peace-loving people; thanks for letting me express it, boss." And now they throw in "This Wookiee, on Alderaan, is telling stories about my people being nice, and we're not nice, we're supposed to be bloodthirsty shitheads, I'm gonna kill him till he stops oh look a lightsaber just took my head off."

I might not recruit Broonmark even with my Warrior if they don't give him any depth there.

I honestly think this might be their way of saying "Yeah Broonmark was a mistake of a character and so we're going to make it really hard for anyone not playing a complete shithead to recruit him again", but I'd rather he was just forgotten and his spot taken by someone more interesting.

Like, this chapter was full of stupid fucking Mandalorians being stupid fucking Mandalorians with the usual two exceptions of Shae and Torian, and I still liked it and it was miles better than Broonmark's recruitment mission.

I would be surprised if they don't have a recruitment for every companion you had in the game, except a rare unpopular few like
    Tanno Vik, and maybe Skadge when he shows up

• Options
    edited June 2016

I would be surprised if they don't have a recruitment for every companion you had in the game, except a rare unpopular few like

I don't doubt they will try, but
    there are only two chapters left and there's still Akaavi, Corso, Risha, Quinn, Jaesa, Elara, Kira, Doc, Nadia, Iresso, Andronikos, Ashara, Vector, Temple, and Mako...and that's just the long-term romance characters, who for good or ill have thus far been re-recruited as "main characters" (presumably so the reunion dialog would actually be spoken by the PC, as opposed to unvoiced blue text).

So unless the big reveal is that for most of those you don't meet them again until after Zakuul is brought down, and they each get their own little mini-epilogue reunion, I don't see how they're going to cram them all in while also giving them the time they deserve.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'd rather they leave a bunch of characters out than mistreat any of them. Remember, every character is someone's favorite. Maybe not popular, maybe even hugely unpopular, but someone cares about that character even if you loathe them.

-edit-

Although I should clarify that presenting a player with a scenario in which the recruit could potentially be killed by the player character isn't necessarily "mistreatment". My Powertech had no clue who Tanno Vik was and shot him in the chest because that's what the situation dictated. But the whole scene played out in a way that was true to Tanno Vik's nefarious character. If by chance he'd crossed paths with my bounty hunter sometime in the past and not been pointing guns at one another, I might have given him a chance.

And of course the woman I saved from him turned out to be just as awful as Vik but I didn't know that at the time.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I will say this for the newest addition to the team.
    Broonmark being the new optional companion lead me to trying out my Warrior immediately after my hunter and while he is light side he is still a Sith Warrior, and an Immortal Juggernaut at that, so I am quite pleased with a possible reaction to Torian offering his protection.
    “You speak to a lord of the Sith. Do not condescend to me, boy.”

I also like that Torian has remained easygoing, relative to most Mandalorians, and just shrugged it off.

...Yes, the best thing I can say for Broonmark at this point is that his inclusion allowed me to uncover a line of dialog completely unrelated to him earlier than I might have otherwise.

EDIT: Having actually recruited
    Broonmark, I can say that even if you're a Warrior you're not missing anything except Hylo Visz being angry that you scared off a friend and brought her a psychopath. My Juggernaut, as mentioned, is lightsided, so the diplomat survived, but apparently he was put off by the fact that I walked off with the guy who killed like a dozen of his bodyguards. What a baby.

Also no DS points for this.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

there are only two chapters left and there's still Akaavi, Corso, Risha, Quinn, Jaesa, Elara, Kira, Doc, Nadia, Iresso, Andronikos, Ashara, Vector, Temple, and Mako...and that's just the long-term romance characters, who for good or ill have thus far been re-recruited as "main characters" (presumably so the reunion dialog would actually be spoken by the PC, as opposed to unvoiced blue text).

So unless the big reveal is that for most of those you don't meet them again until after Zakuul is brought down, and they each get their own little mini-epilogue reunion, I don't see how they're going to cram them all in while also giving them the time they deserve.

Speculation ahead:
    I could swear I'd heard all companions would be back by the end of season 1, but I think that's obviously not going to happen now. I'm also not sure anymore that we'll actually completely defeat Zakuul in Season 1. I'm thinking we'll just take down Vaylin leaving Arcann for next season or we'll take down Arcann and then Vaylin ascends to the new Big Bad for next season.

kmz on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    New chapter was okay.
    Torian giving the double take when he first sees you as a BH was cool.

Back to ignoring the game for the next month.

Assuran on
  • Options
    kmz wrote: »

Speculation ahead:
    I could swear I'd heard all companions would be back by the end of season 1, but I think that's obviously not going to happen now. I'm also not sure anymore that we'll actually completely defeat Zakuul in Season 1. I'm thinking we'll just take down Vaylin leaving Arcann for next season or we'll take down Arcann and then Vaylin ascends to the new Big Bad for next season.

Yeah at this point
    There's no way all the companions are coming back in the next couple of chapters. Yeah I would like to have seen Akavi Spar during this chapter, but I think that only means they're giving her a chapter for herself, not that they forgot her or anything. I don't care if it's season 2 or not, as long as season 2 doesn't take too long to show up.

• Options
    I enjoyed the latest chapter a lot. Playing it as a Bounty Hunter (who is a Mandalorian, I suppose there are a few people whose BH told Mandalore to fuck off way back at the end of chapter 1) probably helped my enjoyment a lot.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    A question to anyone that's played the latest chapter as well as other Star Wars games:
    I was checking some posts about it on Reddit and someone made a thread stating that the chapter used music from Republic Commando. Any truth to that? I'm asking in the box as to not spoil the surprise for others that haven't played it yet if true.

Owenashi on