As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I hit level 65 while doing the solo storymode versions of Battle of Ilum/False Emperor. That really, really slaughters my desire to do Hutt Cartel (I have never finished it though.. so I will try one last time).

• Options
    Man, Torian was one of my favorite companions in terms of general agreeability with my decision-making. Suddenly in Hutt Cartel he's a ruthless dick. It's extremely jarring, and definitely not my imagination since I just played through 4 whole planets with him as my sidekick.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Finally logged in after months of inactivity and played chapters X and XI...they were pretty disappointing compared to the previous 9 chapters. Cutscene quality is still there, but they feel like side quests instead of advancing the actual plot...and they're boring. Hopefully XII is better.

Did love the final part of the Blizz recruitment mission. That was brilliant.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Well I finally beat Makeb. I don't think I'll ever bother again though. Also did a Makeb heroic and started a second one and then aborted it and concluded that Makeb heroics aren't even vaguely worth the trouble.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Makeb also has one of the more miserable datacrons to collect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

It takes a bit of doing, sure, but it's still better than the Fleet one (although not so much now that you can solo it) and the Rishi rare spawn one.

Are there any on Zakuul or Odessen? I never really bothered to check.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well I finally beat Makeb. I don't think I'll ever bother again though. Also did a Makeb heroic and started a second one and then aborted it and concluded that Makeb heroics aren't even vaguely worth the trouble.

Makeb can take a while but I do appreciate the effort they put in by making the Republic and Empire stories there separate enough to make a playthrough on each side worthwhile if just to see the whole story.

• Options
    The fleet datacron can be soloed now? I never did get that one. Is it soloable, or is it "soloable" but just for people with end game gear.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »

It takes a bit of doing, sure, but it's still better than the Fleet one (although not so much now that you can solo it) and the Rishi rare spawn one.

Are there any on Zakuul or Odessen? I never really bothered to check.

I think I got lucky with the Rishi one since there was a guy that had collected all the ingredients and was broadcasting and inviting anyone that wanted credit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The fleet datacron can be soloed now? I never did get that one. Is it soloable, or is it "soloable" but just for people with end game gear.

It's soloable, but in a super cheesy way. There are youtube videos of it, it basically consists of getting two characters with the necessary items, and swapping back and forth. It wasn't really worth doing until datacron bonuses became legacy-wide

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Bunch of contests and promotions in May for the May the Fourth Be With You celebrations.
    1. Just for showing up between April 27 and May 4, you'll get a new astromech cosmetic pet.
    2. Double XP, Legacy XP, warzone commendations and space PVP requisition between May 3-10, and May 26-30.
    3. If you sign up on the website, just for playing through chapter 13 you have a chance to win a draw for a free Zakuul Knight armor set and Zakuul Dropship mount on May 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30.
    4. On those same days, if you screencap or video capture your play and post it with a specific hashtag, you have a chance to win a draw for 450 cartel coins.
    5. The Eternal Champion challenge is dropping with chapter 13...and there's a solo speedrun contest. The grand prize winner will receive a year (minus five days) of free subscription time, 14.5k cartel coins...oh yes, and a free 4-day, 3-night trip to and pass for the winner and one guest to the Star Wars Celebration Europe in London. (5 runners up will receive 180 days sub time and 5500 cartel coins.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Holy shit snacks!

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Played through the Shadow of Revan prelude. Even though it's just cutscenes and flashpoints with no planet to explore, I still thought it was a great improvement over Hutt Cartel.

-edit-

It's probably just because of the npcs. Lana, Theran, Jakkoro are all neat characters whereas the Hutt Cartel characters are completely forgettable. Makes a big difference.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Played through the Shadow of Revan prelude. Even though it's just cutscenes and flashpoints with no planet to explore, I still thought it was a great improvement over Hutt Cartel.

-edit-

It's probably just because of the npcs. Lana, Theran, Jakkoro are all neat characters whereas the Hutt Cartel characters are completely forgettable. Makes a big difference.

Yep. 100% agreed. I don't even remember hutt cartel, but I remember shadow of revan because of the characters.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Well the game is more clever than me. I thought it would be supar clever to buy one of the level 65 offhand blasters and swipe the barrel to stick in my blaster (I'm a power tech so I don't have an off hand blaster) and neeeeeeewp that turned my blaster into an unusable off-hand only piece of trash.

At least I was able to stick the mod and enhancement into a new pistol before I pitched out the now ruined blaster.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Well the game is more clever than me. I thought it would be supar clever to buy one of the level 65 offhand blasters and swipe the barrel to stick in my blaster (I'm a power tech so I don't have an off hand blaster) and neeeeeeewp that turned my blaster into an unusable off-hand only piece of trash.

At least I was able to stick the mod and enhancement into a new pistol before I pitched out the now ruined blaster.

Yeah, they patched that out a while ago. I don't know if replacing the offhand barrel with a main hand barrel will main hand the gun again, but its probably worth a shot if you like the look of the gun.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

Yeah, they patched that out a while ago. I don't know if replacing the offhand barrel with a main hand barrel will main hand the gun again, but its probably worth a shot if you like the look of the gun.

I bought a cheapie green barrel to try just that and it did not work. The blaster in question is a starforged cartel blaster so I just spawned a new empty one. I understand patching it out, but that was quite a way to close off that particular exploit.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I bought a cheapie green barrel to try just that and it did not work. The blaster in question is a starforged cartel blaster so I just spawned a new empty one. I understand patching it out, but that was quite a way to close off that particular exploit.

Can't you just remove the barrel to add in the correct one that you actually want? Adding a barrel doesn't permanently stamp your gun with offhand/main hand, it's all in the barrel.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Yeah, they should at least give you a warning beyond the typical 'you'll lose the existing barrel warning'.

• Options
    It's all good. Credits are meaningless afterall so the whatever 30-40k it cost me to strip out the mod and enhancement a second time wasn't a big deal. Then I went and shelled out 2.3 million for a level 65 barrel - which is what I would have wound up ultimately doing if I'd know the first thing I tried wasn't going to work making the cost of stripping out the other stuff hard to notice.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Speaking of, I logged on today and looked at my collective credits and was all, "Geez, I'm poor. If I keep playing so little I'm never gonna be able to get all the outfits!"

Then I looked at the collections tab and realized that one reason I am so poor is that I have managed to buy 72% of everything in the Allinace packs off the cartel market and all of the remaining stuff goes for tens of millions.

So I'm actually in a decent mood.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Fashion is what keeps me a subscriber...and poor.

• Options
    I have the mandalorian hunter armor set unlocked (I don't remember how much I paid for it which is probably a good thing).

The upside to that is that I never need to buy another outfit for a bounty hunter.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, I actually managed to pull a Revan Reborn set out of a cartel pack a couple of nights ago. Very pleased with that since it was my white whale of cartel drops.

• Options
    I met my first original companion in KotFE!
    Of course it was Tanno Vik, who wasn't one of my former companions. But I always hated that guy on my trooper so I shot him.

• Options
    Of course it was Tanno Vik, who wasn't one of my former companions. But I always hated that guy on my trooper so I shot him.

Yep, yep, correct choices going on here.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    You're doing it right.

• Options

Yeah if I was playing my Trooper he'd probably be with me, but on my Sith Warrior who is newly thawed and pissed at the world? He didn't last long.

• Options
    Seriously?
    I know Vik can be a jackass but I'd much rather take his side in the argument then Tora's.

• Options
    Will Torian show back up in the story or will I have to recruit not-Torian from that terminal?

I ask because at influence level 29 he's useful for crafting.

• Options
    He hasn't shown up yet. Outside of 2V, I think the only BH companion to show up so far was Blizz. The upcoming chapter will add another member of the Mantis crew soon enough though.

• Options
    It's all character-based.
    My Knight made a fair bargain.

My Trooper had become friendly with him despite her better judgement, so it was a nice reunion and she got Tora back.

My Bounty Hunter's goal was retrieval of Tora. Since that was achievable without a fight, she took the peaceful option.

My Warrior made it clear who was in charge and took Tora back.

My Inquisitor iced him because she is in no mood for fucking backtalk.

My Smuggler did what she's best at: talk her way through.

My Agent decided that the secret was already out and there was no point killing Vik.

My Consular treated them like the children they were being and made them apologize to each other.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    He hasn't shown up yet. Outside of 2V, I think the only BH companion to show up so far was Blizz. The upcoming chapter will add another member of the Mantis crew soon enough though.

I didn't realize they were still coming out with new chapters for this. That's cool.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I was super pumped to recruit Vik in my Trooper story playthrough. A badass alien dude with a sword? Yeah!
    And then I found out he's a shitty criminal scumbag, so I never used him again.

• Options
    So far I'm very pleased with the writing for the BH. There's a lot of lines here that are scripted, and not based on a dialogue wheel choice. That could get annoying really quickly, except for the fact that the BH says exactly what I'd want him to say every time.

I'm really glad I went with this character first and not my consular.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

I didn't realize they were still coming out with new chapters for this. That's cool.

Yeah, it went up to Chapter 9 on initial release, then in February they started releasing one new chapter per month. If the pattern holds we should get the final chapter (15) in July.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I was super pumped to recruit Vik in my Trooper story playthrough. A badass alien dude with a sword? Yeah!
    And then I found out he's a shitty criminal scumbag, so I never used him again.

Exactly. He doesn't work for any variation of the Trooper that I'd want to play. Not the good guy action hero storm trooper, but also not the ruthless pragmatist. He's a companion who is a bad soldier and doesn't fit in the military, so he serves no purpose except to annoy me. In that sense he's even worse than Skadge, because at least Skadge fits perfectly with a certain type of Bounty Hunter character (in addition to being the karmic balance for the BH getting Blizz).

• Options
  • Options
    What I love about the Lady of Sorrows is that if you were listening you might have realized it near the beginning of the chapter.

In the tram station there's those two people having a conversation.
    “You saw the Lady of Sorrows. Yeah, course you did. What did she look like?”
    She had a crown, like. And—and a suit of armor. And she was fast and strong! She could punch and kick and—”
    “You watch too many holovids. You ever do see the Lady, my advice? Forget you ever did—and run.”

• Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    What I love about the Lady of Sorrows is that if you were listening you might have realized it near the beginning of the chapter.

In the tram station there's those two people having a conversation.
    “You saw the Lady of Sorrows. Yeah, course you did. What did she look like?”
    She had a crown, like. And—and a suit of armor. And she was fast and strong! She could punch and kick and—”
    “You watch too many holovids. You ever do see the Lady, my advice? Forget you ever did—and run.”

I heard that exchange, and did not make the connection. It was a complete surprise to me that in retrospect made perfect sense.