As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I am asking the following question out of a place of total ignorance about this game. I'm just a tourist. I play occasionally, but I play only for the story and to me this is just a singleplayer game. So I honestly don't know a lot about the "end game" or "post game" or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, my question:

What do the SWTOR dedicated players do in this game? Are the raids actually good? Is there some sort of sustainable group content like dungeons? I know there were dungeons in the core game back at launch, but I honestly have no idea if they are still making dungeons or raids or not. I don't really keep up with the news cycle or patch notes or any of that. I just log in, play story, and log out. Super casually.

Is there any space content anymore? I'm probably one of the few people who actually enjoyed the on-rails space missions of the original 1-50 game. I always wanted more from it, but it seemed like they dropped that for a while. Since I haven't played in a few years, have they added any new space content to the game?

Side comment -- Did anyone play Kingdom Hearts? The gummy ship missions are exactly what I want from space combat in this game. Let me customize my ship with various loadouts, weapons, shields, etc and try missions of varying difficulty. Anyway, that's a bit of a sidetrack. I'm just wondering if any new space content has been added to the game anytime in the last few years.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I am asking the following question out of a place of total ignorance about this game. I'm just a tourist. I play occasionally, but I play only for the story and to me this is just a singleplayer game. So I honestly don't know a lot about the "end game" or "post game" or whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, my question:

What do the SWTOR dedicated players do in this game? Are the raids actually good? Is there some sort of sustainable group content like dungeons? I know there were dungeons in the core game back at launch, but I honestly have no idea if they are still making dungeons or raids or not. I don't really keep up with the news cycle or patch notes or any of that. I just log in, play story, and log out. Super casually.

Is there any space content anymore? I'm probably one of the few people who actually enjoyed the on-rails space missions of the original 1-50 game. I always wanted more from it, but it seemed like they dropped that for a while. Since I haven't played in a few years, have they added any new space content to the game?

Dedicated players do a variety of things. A brand new raid did just recently drop, yes, but those don't come along very often. What most long term raid groups try to do is beat existing difficult content (like the old raid Temple of Sacrifice, is still really hard on Nightmare mode and still has people trying to beat it. I never have beaten the final boss of that raid). There's also people who are just there to do the PVP, of which there hasn't been any new content in ages, but pvp is pvp. There's also the space pvp. And every week or two weeks there is an event which you can take part in and use the tokens from the event to buy stuff. If by "dungeons", you mean "flashpoints", yes those still exist and there are new ones out. It's probably not hard to get into a groupfinder flashpoint these days, but unless you're in a group of friends it's harder to get people willing to complete the harder flashpoints, most people will just leave the groupfinder if they drop in an FP that's a challenge. Content currently gets dropped at a *very* slow rate, so whether it's sustainable or not is up for discussion. I know many people have dropped at one point or another (me included, though I'm back now) due to lack of new content.

Now that's just in general what you *can* do. What I do as a regular player is: work on getting decorations and achievements. Mostly decos, because I'm really into doing the strongholds, owning all of them and decorating them to look cool. This is pretty much the only reason I do any content in the game, either to get a cheevo or to get a deco for my strongholds. This week I've been working on the Bounty hunter event so that I can get the bounty hunter tokens so that I can buy stuff that requires tokens from multiple events (bounty hunter, gree, and rakghoul tokens), so that I can complete an achievement.

Regarding space combat: The on rails stuff has not changed or been added to. However, they added a space pvp game, which is not on rails. Space pvp has a very steep entry learning curve because it's based a lot on the "gear" your ship has, and you can only get gear by spending tokens you get from playing space pvp. Generally at first you will find yourself dying a lot when you're first learning space pvp. If you're willing to stick with it at all, it can be fun sometimes - I'd just recommend reading tutorials on what to equip on your ship because the starter weapons and extras are almost always crap. Once you're geared at the same level as everyone else, it becomes more about skill than just the gear, but it takes a long time to reach that point and not everyone is willing - I only did it because it used to be tied to gearing up your player character.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So regarding the warning prior to starting knights of the fallen empire when it says companion missions does it just mean the conversations you have with them ? Cause I think I’ve done all of those but I would hate to find out that I had to trigger them by sitting on the third smallest rock of forbidden zone x under the moonlight or something equally silly. Since it says I will have new companions do I need the old ones to be a certain level to survive or something?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The trigger for companion talks are two things: Companion approval level and how far you are in your main story. Level 10 affection used to be the max you could get, so if your companions are that high already and you've finished your main story, then you should be good, just go to your ship and make sure there are no convos left for you.

I think you could do as low as 8 level affection, but I don't remember exactly what the lowest you can do and still get the convos is.

The only character I recall that has a very specific in-story trigger is Vette, who (for obvious reasons) reaches a point where she won't talk to you any more if you don't remove her slave collar.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    So I’m guessing knights of the fallen empire was a big budget affair , that cutscene cost money. Just got past the on rails beginning which was a lot longer then I thought.

As an aside I have two naga mice one I bought for pandaria ( last time I had fun with wow) and one I got for a gift that Christmas . well the gifted one has finally developed a problem with the top of black buttons so I switched to my original and could not get it to work since it was recognizing 1/2/3 as home /end/insert etc . So I finally gave up and googled the problem . Turns out the switch to use numbers or not on the bottoms had been flipped and all my silly tech support ideas were just me being dumb.

• Options
    I feel personally attacked that it takes $35 dollars to get HK 55 back . Its like they knew I want to kill everyone else on my current crew.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah the price for that DLC is nonsense.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Back on Belsavis, in my Agent replay.
    And there's the mysterious sexy but insufferably smug voice on the comms. I'm going to (did) enjoy killing her even more than Hunter or Kaliyo, when I finally get the chance.

Speaking of killing, my main hope regarding this motley heist crew I've assembled is that they'll have the good grace to die after they've accomplished the tasks for which they were selected.

EDIT: Well, that worked out, more or less. On to the next assignment...

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Well I figure before I get to ahead of myself I should make and try some other class storylines . Going to try Sith warrior probably the tank spec so it will feel different then my guardian . After that ...sage/inquisitor?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Well I figure before I get to ahead of myself I should make and try some other class storylines . Going to try Sith warrior probably the tank spec so it will feel different then my guardian . After that ...sage/inquisitor?

Female inquisitor is great. Now, sorceror is of course way cooler (can't beat that lightnin'), but I prefer to play as assassin because then I can use stealth to avoid combat (i find combat in SWTOR awful). A DS lady assassin is my main.

Murder and mayhem await.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I've already played a male sorc to 75 (he's my one Eternal Emperor, in fact) and enjoyed him quite a bit, but am contemplating a "DS lady assassin" myself, after I finish up this Agent replay (probably in the next couple of days).

Send help.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The nice thing about Assassin is that you can still shoot as much lightning as you want in cutscenes and conversations!

• Options
    I got some new fancy decos this week, and as usual my Temple of Light got all the best stuff. Check out Luxury Stronghold's Temple of Light on Coruscant if you wanna see it. The only downside with taking so much effort to make it look pretty is that man, I really wish I could live there or at least visit. It's so comfortable yet elegant.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I’ve fallen in the decoration hole with animal crossing , hundred and hundreds of hours of talking to my animal neighbors and collecting Nintendo furniture.

So I got the seer mask from kotfe on my guardian and gave it to new Sith warrior. He now looks like an even edgier reaper. Doesn’t help that all empire stuff is black to boot. My guardian is almost 75 and I don’t even think he is near the current expansion .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Over Christmas I finished the story on my LS Republic loyalist Jedi Guardian. I've already done the same on my DS Empire "loyalist" Sith Assassin (she's not really loyal to anyone but herself, but rejoined the Empire on a basis of friends close and enemies closer).

(I've also completed all the class quests and all the planet story quests, but that was some time ago.)

I don't think I'll bother taking any other characters through the post-vanilla game. So now I'm just waiting for more story content. I suspect it will be a long wait.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    I don't know how many are actually participating in the Life Day stuff, but I've been doing it for (as usual) decos and achievements. There's a new set of achievements that weren't there the last time I messed with Life day: hug 10, 25, 100 and finally 1,000 wookies.

I only found this out because I went to the Life Day vendor on the pub side and got close enough to one of the "Wookie carollers" to have the hug icon appear for me to click. Since then I fairly easily got to 100 hugs, but despite completing the hug dailies on multiple characters, there's no way I'll get to 1,000 this year.

The reason I bring it up is because of the... uh... amusing? way they've implemented the wookie hug system on the imperial fleet. There are actually only 2 hugable wookies on the pub fleet, I've been going to Nar Shadaa to actually complete the quest. But when I got to the imp fleet and hung out at the vendor, it was only then that I realized "oh yeah, the imperials hate wookies, huh?" So there were none by the vendor... until I looked to the side at a wookie in process of being arrested. I looked at his name title and it was indeed "wookie caroller" so he stood up to do the hug animation, then went right back on his knees to finish being arrested.

Holiday spirit, everyone!

• Options
    Be glad you're not getting Railing Killed off a wroshyr treehouse.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Almost done with my Agent playthrough, and I just got the final Lore dump on what the Conspiracy expects will happen when they succeed.
    It's really for the best that they don't, of course, and yet, I almost wish they did, just to "see" their faces in a few years, when the Eternal Empire shows up out of nowhere and crushes them and all their plans like bugs.
    (Or Vitiate eats the galaxy, I suppose.)

Just goes to show, everyone is subject to Outside Context Problems.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    (apologies for spam - I'll let someone else post after this)

Agent story replay complete, at roughly 1:15 a.m. Final level 48.
    Missed the chance to record the final meetings with Hunter and the Minister, but I got screenshots - ah well.
    Good last line from Vector: "The song ends, the song begins."

Time to tidy up, see what (if anything) I can recycle, and then delete the character.

• Options
    Is there a Youtube channel that covers this game that has good story synopsis or story coverage for the 8 class stories?

I fired this game up last night after mulling it over for a few days. But when I got to the character select screen I got a bit stuck. My first plan is to finish the class stories because I've still not seen them all. I'm 5/8.

But as I was reviewing my progress, I saw that I completed the Smuggler story, which I did not remember doing. And that got me to thinking, I don't really remember the smuggler story like at all. If there's a good YT video that I could watch through and get a story summary of that one, that would be great. Likewise for others, but to a lesser extent. I think I actually remember most of the stories for the other classes I've already completed.

The three that I have never completed are Sith Warrior, Jedi Consular, and Imperial Agent. I'm specifically saving Agent for last since I've heard it is the best.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    There are many channels/posters that offer "movies" of the various class stories, yes. I was just watching a couple this week.

Try Retale, XLetalis, The Movie Forge, Gamer's Little Playground....

EDIT: And IMO, Consular story is a bit bland (the female VA is better than the male, according to most), but the Warrior and Agent are both excellent; I'd recommend doing the Consular's first, unless it is just too much to stand, and finish strong with those last two.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    It surprises me that in all this time they've never released a Rey hairstyle to the cartel market. I think they underestimate how much people would like new hairstyles every so often.

• Options
    So there I was, last night, trying to come up with a name for my new character which was both lore-friendly/accurate and not already claimed:

"The Naming of Chiss is a difficult matter..."

• Options
    6 years later, I'm still mad that I lost the name of my Trooper in a server merge.

My very first character, day 1, launch character, was named Alora Sunfury, and she is the founder of the Sunfury Legacy. And my server was merged with another server, and the other person was higher level or something, so they got to keep the name.

I have not logged in or played that character since then. She's dead to me.

Names are everything, and after I lost the name, I was not able to play or enjoy that character anymore.

I actually lost another name to the big merge a couple years go. The one when they went to a single unified server. My Imperial Agent was named Veedra and I lost that name in the merge. Luckily for me, my Agent is only like level 18 or something, so I don't have a lot invested in her. I plan on deleting and remaking when the time comes to circle back around to Agent.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The good thing is that Star Wars names are mostly all dumb as a rule. Plus if a name you like is taken just throw a ' or - in it somewhere. Fits right into the universe.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The problem I'm having in this particular case is that the naming conventions for Chiss are pretty well-documented (for all that it's all ultimately made up), and spaces etc are Right Out.
    It probably wouldn't be hard (other than fitting it in the character limit) to come up with a unique full name, but Chiss don't use those among aliens, so I need to come up with a core name that's short(ish) and pleasing (to me).

EDIT: Got it. Ella'katif'aklaio, known to the alien savages simply as "Katifa", or when she needs a no-thought-required alias, Ella. Her core name is an obfuscated/phonetic version of "la cattiva", the feminine form of "The Bad" - a nod to Lee Van Cleef by way of a certain other blue-skinned, red-eyed, cold-hearted bounty hunter. :)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    If anyone would like a murder machine for cruising through heroics:

1. Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin, Infiltration/Deception, choose Force Harmonics/Audacity and Stalker's Swiftness/Reaper's Rush for utilities
    2. Once you get to level 75 and hit 306 ilvl, choose Death Knell for your set bonus, with optional tactical of Chant of Regeneration

Death Knell (at 4 pieces) plus a reasonable amount of alacrity reduces the cooldown of Force Potency/Recklessness to a little over a minute. The passive ability Potent Shadows/Electric Ambush (gained at level 44) speeds up the cooldown of Force Potency/Recklessness by sixty seconds when combat ends. As a result, you can use Force Potency/Recklessness very nearly at will: prior to or during every single discrete combat encounter you have, even if the groups are just far enough apart that you didn't pull the other one but you can still just walk over. (Chant of Regeneration thus ensures you will never run out of Force for most encounters.)

Potent Shadows/Electric Ambush also causes Force Potency/Recklessness to give you 3 stacks of Breaching Shadow/Static Charge when activated, allowing you to immediately use Shatterpoint/Discharge at maximum power, and the utility of Force Harmonics/Audacity causes Force Potency/Recklessness to give you 3 charges of Potency/Recklessness instead of 2.

Death Knell (at 4 pieces) also causes you to gain Potent Critical/Reckless Critical whenever you spend a charge of Force Potency/Recklessness (which, as noted, you will have all the time), causing your next Spinning Strike/Assassinate or Shadow Strike/Maul to critically hit (this can stack up to 3 times.) At 6 pieces, whenever you spend a charge of Force Potency/Recklessness you also gain a stack of Audacious Potency/Reckless Slaughter, causing melee damage to be increased by 10% for 30 seconds, stacking to three (so, 30%).

If you do it right, your melee damage will be at +30% almost constantly and you'll be critically striking with your big attacks ridiculously often. Add in a high-level companion set to DPS and you won't need to pause to heal much at all (despite being in light armor) because you'll be killing enemies too fast. Strong (silver) and even elite (gold) enemies should be torn apart in less than 10 seconds (honestly, probably less than 5)...meaning that Stalker's Swiftness/Reaper's Rush will continually reset your Shadow Stride/Phantom Stride, meaning that Spinning Strike/Assassinate (which, as noted, will be critically hitting much more frequently and be doing much more damage) will be getting used on most enemies right off the bat. On top of that, using Shadow Stride/Phantom Stride will give you 3 Breaching Shadows--so your Shatterpoint/Discharge will be juiced in combination with Force Potency.

All told, even doing heroics, your character will be nearly as lethal as a Jedi/Sith with a lightsaber would be against actual people. I'm sure you could also use this as a basis to turn yourself into a terror for PVP or even ops, and it shouldn't need much tuning for most flashpoint trash.

• Options
    Finished the Sith warrior storyline. Was pretty cool . I have the Darth title now moving forward I just need a cool metal helmet that doesn’t restrict a hood.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I have a problem, and I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

My lone Saboteur is my Bounty Hunter, who's mostly light-side. He chose to work with the Republic on that basis, and to show that the Empire doesn't own him, they're just a frequent client. That very same LS nature, however, works against me, because it's not exactly honorable or professional to work both sides or sabotage your supposed employer. And there's another problem on the horizon, whether or not Bioware ever officially addresses it...

Mako, I imagine, will be just fine with this, aside from the "dishonesty" angle that's also giving my Hunter twinges. Gault only cares about getting paid, and Blizz will enthusiastically support whatever Big Boss decides. And Skadge, of course, got what he deserved as soon as I was allowed to give it to him. But what about Torian, last survivor of Clan Cadera? The guy who's spent most of his life trying to atone and make up for his father siding with the Republic?

I just don't see any way this can end well, when (not if) the Saboteur thing comes out. Again, whether or not Bioware takes the time and effort (and money) to put it into the game, from a story perspective I think there has to be a confrontation. And then there'll be a fight, or we'll part ways, or both. Or I'll have to do the thing I really don't want to do.

Sometimes I think I've made a terrible mistake. Or that it would have been better if he'd died with honor at Odessen. :(

Ironic that one of the classes arguably best suited to betray the Empire is also, between alignment and companions, most likely to have issues when it comes to actually doing so. If I was more of a bastard, this wouldn't bother me. (And even now, while I'm feeling genuinely depressed and guilty about it, a part of me has to admit it makes good story.)

Hell, maybe I'll just tell Jonas he can stuff it, next time he calls.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular

My lone Saboteur is my Bounty Hunter, who's mostly light-side. He chose to work with the Republic on that basis, and to show that the Empire doesn't own him, they're just a frequent client. That very same LS nature, however, works against me, because it's not exactly honorable or professional to work both sides or sabotage your supposed employer. And there's another problem on the horizon, whether or not Bioware ever officially addresses it...

Mako, I imagine, will be just fine with this, aside from the "dishonesty" angle that's also giving my Hunter twinges. Gault only cares about getting paid, and Blizz will enthusiastically support whatever Big Boss decides. And Skadge, of course, got what he deserved as soon as I was allowed to give it to him. But what about Torian, last survivor of Clan Cadera? The guy who's spent most of his life trying to atone and make up for his father siding with the Republic?

I just don't see any way this can end well, when (not if) the Saboteur thing comes out. Again, whether or not Bioware takes the time and effort (and money) to put it into the game, from a story perspective I think there has to be a confrontation. And then there'll be a fight, or we'll part ways, or both. Or I'll have to do the thing I really don't want to do.

Sometimes I think I've made a terrible mistake. Or that it would have been better if he'd died with honor at Odessen. :(

Ironic that one of the classes arguably best suited to betray the Empire is also, between alignment and companions, most likely to have issues when it comes to actually doing so. If I was more of a bastard, this wouldn't bother me. (And even now, while I'm feeling genuinely depressed and guilty about it, a part of me has to admit it makes good story.)

I mean, Clan Cadera has no issue joining the Republic when a Republic character does so. He'll follow Mandalore, and Mandalore's got the Alliance's back no matter what side you support.

• Options

I mean, Clan Cadera has no issue joining the Republic when a Republic character does so. He'll follow Mandalore, and Mandalore's got the Alliance's back no matter what side you support.

True, and (another) part of me thinks that really, they should (have some issue), but... well, that's what you get with a one-size-fits-all story, I guess.

• Options

The Mandalorians, including Torian, willingly side with the Alliance regardless of who leads it and who's part of it.

Torian's never had anything against the Republic. The whole thing with his dad is that his dad and clan rebelled against the decision of Mandalore. He would have had the same problem if Mandalore the Vindicated had sided with the Republic but Jicoln wanted them to stay independent or go with the Sith.

In short: Torian has chosen you as his leader (if you were anyone but the Bounty Hunter, you might be second behind Mandalore, and if Mandalore the Avenger, i.e. Shae, took the Mandalorians out of the Alliance he might join her, but as the Grand Champion you probably come before her in his eyes). To preserve his honor and his family name, he will side with his leader unless his leader does something grossly dishonorable, and not do as his father did.

And the Empire has no claim to the bounty hunter's loyalty individually or Mandalorians' loyalty as a whole--it's all been transactional. Mandalore the Vindicated joined the Sith because he wanted the Mandalorians to better their skills by fighting Jedi, and you could hardly do that by siding with the Republic. Meanwhile, the Empire paid through the nose for Mandalorians' services. The initial story release of Shadow of Revan ends with the most powerful member of the Dark Council saying "as long as you're doing a job for us, the only people you have to answer to is the Council, but we won't stop you from taking on other work."

And everything in between is more of the same. Even Torian's objections in the vanilla storyline to taking the light side ending aren't about siding against the Empire specifically, but "we agreed to do the job, it would be dishonorable to break our word."

• Options
    edited January 2020
    right. so... still a bit dodgy to act against the Empire while supposedly employed by them, but that's (1) a different matter and (2) not the magnitude of the other concern.
    I think that helps. Thanks, everyone.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Finally hit a point in my routine where I have a few days at the end of each week where I have achieved my weeky goals and can just do whatever (or not play at all). So today I got the Onslaught datacrons. One actual puzzle, three jumping puzzles. What the fuck.

Also I'm like "I should try to be inventive give each character a truly distinct look" and yet what do I give my female Gunnery Commando but the most overtly phallic of the recent assault cannon releases. (Most weapons in TOR, of course, are pretty phallic, so trying to find one that's not is a losing battle, but the DA-AC1 is still up there even among the assault cannons.)

• Options
    So probably killing koth . Probably killing him an bald albino evil lady too if I get the chance.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Killing Koth is always a good call. The real crime of gaming is that you can do things in a way that DOESN'T allow you to kill him.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    So probably killing koth . Probably killing him an bald albino evil lady too if I get the chance.

You can, but you need to follow a specific set of choices to do it.
    At the start of chapter 12, choose to send Havoc on the mission and Kaliyo as the backup/distraction. At the end of chapter 12, order her not to go in. She will anyway. At the end of chapter 13, you can exile or execute her for disobeying orders.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »

You can, but you need to follow a specific set of choices to do it.
    At the start of chapter 12, choose to send Havoc on the mission and Kaliyo as the backup/distraction. At the end of chapter 12, order her not to go in. She will anyway. At the end of chapter 13, you can exile or execute her for disobeying orders.

I accidentally locked myself out of this, on my Agent, playing chapter-by-chapter as they were released, without foreknowledge.
    I was so mad, I re-made him on another server (with a booster token) just so I could do that. And get screenshots. And video.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    So Kaliyo is dead. Her last words being “ So what are you going to do kill me?” Do you not fucking see my title of Darth? My class of Sith warrior? Bitch are you for real!?

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    "Yes. Exactly."