As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• CreganTurCreganTur Registered User regular
    Managed to talk another friend into trying out SWTOR, so the 3 of us did some Jedi questing last night.

We're having fun, but this game really shows its age sometimes.

Only downside was that one of my friends, who used a referral code like we all did, never got his starter pack email. No inventory upgrade for him, which really sucks.

At this point I'm having enough fun that I'm considering subbing next month to get access to the new content. Going to give it until then before I decide, though.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Collection unlocks sale! Get yer cheap unlocks!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I finally got my shit in order and am going down the Smuggler story line. End of Chapter 1 and start of Chapter 2 is one of the best transitions in the game, that was rad af. I wonder how the Ch2 -> Ch3 transition will work out. It can't be as bad as Bounty Hunter. Because Jesus that was awful.

5.10.2 is coming, with...

...uh...

...guild emblems.

And a bunch of QoL improvements.
    swtor.com wrote:
    • Characters are now displayed on mounts instead of to the side.
    • New animation button!
    • Unlocks like emotes, moods, and rest-and-recharge abilities are now able to be previewed.
    • Visual effects are better displayed.
    • The window now will have a panel showing what combination of gear is currently being shown.

Is all they've announced.

So far.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Finally played Jedi Under Siege

Jedi Tau Idair is pretty cool

And that’s about it
    Malgus being back sir came out of left field

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    So I'm dipping a toe back into this. Is there still no way to cheaply and quickly level influence with a particular companion? According to Dulfy, the cheapest way to level a companion to influence 50 takes like... 6200 gifts and 3.5 million credits.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    So I'm dipping a toe back into this. Is there still no way to cheaply and quickly level influence with a particular companion? According to Dulfy, the cheapest way to level a companion to influence 50 takes like... 6200 gifts and 3.5 million credits.

Sounds about right. Sadly.

Why do you want to take 'em to 50? You can get to level 30 if you use level 1 and 2 gifts, and that "only" costs ~400K IIRC. Still painful, but readily doable with some dailies.

Orca wrote: »

Why do you want to take 'em to 50? You can get to level 30 if you use level 1 and 2 gifts, and that "only" costs ~400K IIRC. Still painful, but readily doable with some dailies.

No good reason except that 50 is the max. ATM, my Shadow is plying Shae Vizla with level 1 gifts using a key repeat macro. <.<

No good reason except that 50 is the max. ATM, my Shadow is plying Shae Vizla with level 1 gifts using a key repeat macro. <.<

Well, if you're going to take a toon to 50, Shae's the one to do it with.

Yeah, some basic research turned up that she's the best DPS, so I figured she'd be pretty good for helping my Shadow tank derp through all the story stuff I haven't done yet. I was just hoping that the game had some new and less tedious mechanic for leveling companion influence.

Yeah, some basic research turned up that she's the best DPS, so I figured she'd be pretty good for helping my Shadow tank derp through all the story stuff I haven't done yet. I was just hoping that the game had some new and less tedious mechanic for leveling companion influence.

Nope, that's it, sadly.

If complete your conquest goal for the week, you can buy (for somewhat more than the cost mentioned above) a consumable that will boost one companion to level 50 no matter what their current level is in one go. But as mentioned, it's expensive--I'd estimate all told it'd be about 7 to 8 million credits for the materials to make the crafting things you use as currency.

As far as I can tell, 5.10.2, which should be released this week, is mostly about guild logos but also adds a number of extra features in the preview window.

However, sometime after that will come 5.10.3, The Dantooine Incursion. Which is apparently both a new small planet like Ossus, but also an event like the Gree or Rakghoul events?

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Dantooine would be pretty cool. Hopefully you can still go there when the event isn’t happening

Joolander on
    It's patch day! And what I mentioned earlier are...basically the only feature additions.

However there's a whole whack of bug fixes.

It's not all good news, however.
    We unfortunately had to request that Doc reduce his rather long, elaborate, and completely humble title from the Companion and Contacts window so that it would fit properly.

Nooo
    SWTOR wrote:
    During the mission [DAILY] The Science of Darkness, NPCs will now correctly reduce in size when the Adrenal Reaction debuff wore off

NOOOOO
    My big buggy bois are goonnnnnee

aSIZblE.jpg

And they just announced the new expansion. It's so recent I can't even find it when googling.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's amazing to me that this game is still going (I heard it surprised Bioware EDM too?). As a subscriber a long time ago is the story they added good? I used to have a bunch of characters but I think I played my Sentinel the most. I'm assuming they upped the gear scores and maybe the levels since I played (I think it was around Kotfe).

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm so happy this game is still chugging along. I still haven't finished all level 50 stories yet, but it's nice to play as a F2P game when you need to scratch that Star Wars itch.

finnith wrote: »
    It's amazing to me that this game is still going (I heard it surprised Bioware EDM too?). As a subscriber a long time ago is the story they added good? I used to have a bunch of characters but I think I played my Sentinel the most. I'm assuming they upped the gear scores and maybe the levels since I played (I think it was around Kotfe).

Levels haven't changed much. Gear has gone up. New story is pretty much in line with KOTFE, so if that did anything for you, chances are the new stuff will too. It's slowing down, but not dead yet.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm glad for the announcement of something coming out mostly because it means that the game is probably not being shuttered outright. Probably.

New code for some decorations and stuff: swcelebration19

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Apparently I accumulated 5200 cartel coins from the monthly security key grant. Seems like the passive resource for Sentinels changed and the level cap went up to 70? Somehow my guild still exists too! What realm is everyone else on? I used to be on Shadowlands I think.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    The level cap did indeed go up to 70. Sentinels should still use Focus as their primary and Centering as their charge-up.

Make sure to check your Discipline Path so you don't miss out on whatever ability they might have added since the level cap was raised. I went six months on my Combat Sentinel without knowing Lance even existed.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    What are the character slot limits per server these days for preferred and subscribed? Last info I can find on that is from 2017 and it doesn't seem accurate.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What are the character slot limits per server these days for preferred and subscribed? Last info I can find on that is from 2017 and it doesn't seem accurate.

If you're subscribed, like I don't even know man. I've got something like 70 character slots that seem to have appeared out of nowhere. It's pretty crazy.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So, I spent most of yesterday playing SWTOR. Mostly to redecorating my strongholds, but even though I'm not subbed I've been able to play a lot of chapter stuff, which surprised me. I guess I'm going to be playing for a bit, though I haven't decided on whether I'll sub or not. I'm also surprised that apparently I was able to keep all 31 of my characters as a preferred player. And I can send out 3 characters for crafting which is a huge boost from the 1 I could send out on preferred previously. It's actually playable on preferred now. A while ago I already unlocked all the stuff I could unlock on preferred, so I have all the quickbars and stuff.

Edit: I also had to add a bunch of special characters to my main's name which I HATE. I had 137+ days on Sofia, I can't believe they too my name!!

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Charactername@displayname would have been the way to go for them but nooooo. Requiring unique names just doesn't work when you merge all the servers.

Strikor on
    Alright, I guess I did a two month sub. I really thought, way back when the server merge that took my name happened, that I'd never sub again. Yet I feel nostalgic for it. It helps that there aren't any games out right now that I want to play.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, they did up the companion crafting limit from 1 to 3 didn't they. I had started up crafting again and couldn't remember why I had given up on it before. And I also lost my main's name. Sucks even more when you do a character lookup and find out that some level 17 that is never online took it.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2019
    Alright, I guess I did a two month sub. I really thought, way back when the server merge that took my name happened, that I'd never sub again. Yet I feel nostalgic for it. It helps that there aren't any games out right now that I want to play.

I wish you had signed in so you got priority for your names :(

Orca on

Did ya'll mention it in this thread at the time? I'm usually good about following warnings from this thread, but I don't remember that one.

Did ya'll mention it in this thread at the time? I'm usually good about following warnings from this thread, but I don't remember that one.

It was mentioned in the thread. IIRC it was basically, whoever had the name first across all servers, with subscribers getting priority, and above (?) that, people who had signed in within the last N days (probably something like 60 days).

I must not have been reading the thread closely enough. :/

How many strongholds are we allowed to have now?

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Why does the launcher for this game have to reorganize my data like...all the time?

We can have ten strongholds now. It's even possible to have more, if you for example had more than ten strongholds across all servers back before the merge and ended up with more than ten, but you can't buy any more than ten.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I booted this game up a couple days ago and made myself a bounty hunter, my first evil character.

Currently, this game is better than a lot of the MMOs out there in my opinion. I'm glad to see they are still adding expansions to the game.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Bounty Hunter is among my favorite classes to play, and their original 1.0 class story was also one of my favorites. They have some really good companion characters too.

Shadowen wrote: »
    We can have ten strongholds now. It's even possible to have more, if you for example had more than ten strongholds across all servers back before the merge and ended up with more than ten, but you can't buy any more than ten.

Oh good, I can buy more, then!

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I booted this game up a couple days ago and made myself a bounty hunter, my first evil character.

Currently, this game is better than a lot of the MMOs out there in my opinion. I'm glad to see they are still adding expansions to the game.

The bounty hunter has a hilarious quest early on that is the best way to show people that a dark side bounty hunter gets pretty dark when you lop off a kids fathers head and stick it in a bag and then show it to the kid haha.