Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Without [music] Life Would Be An Error

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited March 18
    Been out for a minute, but the new Mountain Goats album is looking promising based on the singles dropped so far.

Those Mountain Goats songs kind of make me think of Ramona Falls' first album, Intuit. Is that a reasonable comparison for this band?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Been out for a minute, but the new Mountain Goats album is looking promising based on the singles dropped so far.

Those Mountain Goats songs kind of make me think of Ramona Falls' first album, Intuit. Is that a reasonable comparison for this band?

I dunno, personally I've always thought of The Mountain Goats as a more folksy, focused They Might Be Giants with a bigger emphasis on storytelling. Like, that's probably the biggest thing I know The Mountain Goats for, is telling stories and painting pictures with their songs.

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    That definitely sounds more like TMBG. Either way I should probably look into them more as both other bands are ones I like.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Stabbity Style
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    That definitely sounds more like TMBG. Either way I should probably look into them more as both other bands are ones I like.

They've got a bunch of albums, so plenty for you to listen to :D

I'd check out Tallahassee and The Sunset Tree for sure.

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 18
    The Mountain Goats is a band that never clicked for me. It might be the overwhelming amount of material and not knowing where to start but every time I've given it a go it didn't grab me.

I suspect their appeal is very much of a time and place in one’s life. The approach to recording appealed to me a lot, but the results didn’t.

Vanguard on
    Great week for hip-hop! New billy woods and Quelle Chris albums.

Also some classic billy woods cause it's great:

SijLqhH.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    anyone here into hardcore punk? this just dropped a couple days ago and is seriously a kick in the teeth of a record

a0784024375_16.jpg

Mayo Supreme by The Muslims (alternate spotify link)

Some standouts for me are YA LATE, Fuck the Cistem, and There Their They're

Youtube
    New PUP album is out! So good! They've released like half of it as singles already, lol, but now it's finally here :D

https://open.spotify.com/album/504XSXhUJlzztcMV4YMaDV?si=OafcyyklRFGThY55EshbwQ

SijLqhH.png
    flamebroiledchicken
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    anyone here into hardcore punk? this just dropped a couple days ago and is seriously a kick in the teeth of a record

a0784024375_16.jpg

Mayo Supreme by The Muslims (alternate spotify link)

Some standouts for me are YA LATE, Fuck the Cistem, and There Their They're

This is so far up my alley it hurts. :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    Dehumanized
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Record Store Day is such bullshit. I went way back in like 2012 or 2013 when it was still new and novel but I kinda dropped out because the lines were ridiculous and the releases didn't grab me.

This year I decided to try it again. Cue standing in line for 4 hours before just giving up (I had somewhere else to be). I was in line an hour before the store opened and it was still impossible.

I found everything I wanted online today, and for retail price so glad to know it remains a waste of time.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    for the Mountain Goats fans, the new album is currently streamable on NPR's First Listen.

Beat the Champ is still probably my favorite TMG album of this decade, but after a couple spins, In League With Dragons is another consistently excellent release from John & Co.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist ኢትዮጵያRegistered User regular
    edited May 11
    I liked this cover of "I Will Follow You Into the Dark":

I mean, maybe that jacket just kills the vibe, but hey...

Edit: I also spotted these guys calling themselves 'West Thebarton' on the Triple J website. Of course that would catch my eye, I used to live in the suburb adjacent. Awesome hard-hitting garage rock. The video is shot with Adelaide as a backdrop as well, so call-out to the hometown heroes:

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    Hybrid
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Friendly reminder that New Gloryhammer Goodness is just over 2 weeks away

God their chorus game is just the absolute strongest.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    KreutzBlackDragon480
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Slipknot finally back with new(ish) masks.

KoopahTroopahSeal
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist ኢትዮጵያRegistered User regular
    Having had access to a Smart TV over the past few weeks, and having had a lot of downtime, I've been using Youtube to catch up on artists I haven't followed for a long time through live sets and such. I posted a Something for Kate track upthread somewhat. I knew their frontman had been doing solo stuff but I hadn't really kept track of it at all. This was released in 2016, so while it's not new, it's new to me:

It's been stuck in my head for days, really takes me back to the vibe of the music Something for Kate used to make. I always thought this guy's lyrics were amazing: you know, lyrics hitting home to me in a way that only really happens in your late teens I guess. You had to be there? Video clip's kinda strange, too.
    I stopped listening to Something for Kate around their fifth album when those same lyrics started sounding really contrived, but now I think I'm really going to put some effort into this 2016 Strange Loop album.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • metaghostmetaghost Registered User regular
    I've been loving this Snooze record, a poppy dose of metalcore with not your typical vocal arrangements:

Also, it's a concept album from the perspective of a good doggo

( @KoopahTroopah — I think this is up your alley. )

Bandcamp (I make weird rap music) / PSN: Mugen_Kikaider
    Stabbity Style
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 3
    Two minutes in and this sounds very Tesseract-y, which is dope. I prefer heavier stuff, but this sounds really cool so far. Thanks for the @!

Edit - Hold On is killer, as is Seperation Anxiety. Both of those were really good.

KoopahTroopah on
    ?username=KoopahTroopah&theme=light

Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
    metaghost
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    For anyone who likes Death Metal / Deathcore, I saw Thy Art is Murder again with Architects a couple weeks ago, and I snoozed on their latest album Dear Desolation. The title track is heavy, fast, and has a ridiculously good breakdown in it and I've been listening to it a bunch ever since.

Steam - Battle.net - Koopah089 - PSN/Xbox - 1639-6388-9968/KoopahTroopah - Switch
    Make Them Suffer, the Aussie Deathcore into Metalcore outfit released a new single. It's about sexual assault, and it's fucking brutal.

Seal
    New Taylor Swift song got posted today. It has some great cameos, is generally very poppy like everything else she does, and possibly ends the (decade long?) feud between her and Katy Perry? Funny video though.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    Soilwork's new EP is embracing some really 1970's proggishness

Just tasty riffs and nods to "Peace of Mind" and "Crazy On You" stick out to me

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
    KoopahTroopahBlackDragon480
    I like that the Taylor Swift video is slotted in between Soilwork and a band called "Make Them Suffer". We're truly an eclectic bunch.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    KoopahTroopahHonk
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited June 18

Joji's new single has arrived with a fantastic video.

If you don't know him, he was the guy who made the Harlem shake a thing in 2013.

also

TehSpectre on
    Sloth_Sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    we kickin it like its 1990

obF2Wuw.png
    KoopahTroopahdesc
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 17
    My wife was listening to this a bunch lately, and now it's all the way stuck in my head

Also, this

Ah_Pook on
    Pancho needs your prayers it's true
    But save a few for Lefty too
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

some more uk garage classics for this who really want to feel the early 2000s in a club somewhere in london

obF2Wuw.png
    KoopahTroopahdesc
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Damn. Phillipe Zdar, half of Cassius, fell out of a window and died yesterday. Their next album comes out tomorrow. I've had their 1999 album in one form or another in my car literally since 1999.

nibXTE7.png
    spin that new mannequin pussy

Ah_Pook
    2019 is shaping up to be a weird year for the core scene. Sleeping With Sirens released a song last month where they're returning to their Post-Hardcore roots, and Asking Alexandria released a single today where they sound like a slightly heavier Imagine Dragons.

SWS:

AA:

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

This song makes me wanna get up and do some shit

XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    CristovalKoopahTroopahStabbity Style
    Man if you are going to post hardcore, post some good shit

y59kydgzuja4.png
    KoopahTroopah
    This is the song from the album that slapped for me.

SijLqhH.png
    Local H JayKoopahTroopah
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Dreamville is just such a boppin' album. It's so full of energy and joy. You can tell they just had fun making it. It feels like an old Outkast or Beastie Boys album where they play off each other so well and just groove. A+ stuff.

Some other songs I've been rocking lately:

XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    Stabbity Style
    edited July 11
    Dreamville is just such a boppin' album. It's so full of energy and joy. You can tell they just had fun making it. It feels like an old Outkast or Beastie Boys album where they play off each other so well and just groove. A+ stuff.

I've been going through the /r/hiphopheads essentials list and it's been pretty great.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphop101/comments/1hrn0u/a_guide_to_hhhs_essential_albums_list_part_1/

I don't think I ever properly sat down and listened through some of those old Beastie Boys albums. And Erik B. & Rakim were really dope! 3 Feet High and Rising was super fun. Going through Me Against The World and idk, it's aight I guess. I've never really been that into Tupac. Biggie's Born to Die was great, though. Other than all the bad sex skits, lol.

Stabbity Style on
    SijLqhH.png
    Local H JayKoopahTroopah
    Oh, Sleeper just released their first album in 8 years. I've only spun it once, but it's really really good Metalcore. Album art is metal as fuck.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    New KSE drops Aug 16th

Make. Time.
    KoopahTroopah
    Been jamming that Oh, Sleeper album all weekend. Favorites are Decimation & Burial, Fissure, Oxygen, and The Island.

Stoked for the new KsE though. It should be good.

Also, The Ghost Inside just did their reunion show this weekend in LA after their nearly fatal bus crash 4 years ago. It was filmed professionally so I'd expect a full show video going around eventually, but there's some good 4K clips on YouTube of it.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

been listening to a lot of heart attack man lately. i'd describe the style as early-2000s pop punk except the themes and lyrics were written by a dude who unashamedly reveres slipknot. sing along to every word.

KoopahTroopah
    Since I know we have some Mountain Goats fans here, here's Stephen Colbert getting really, really into "This Year":

Made me all misty-eyed, man

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Stabbity StyleKoopahTroopah
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I like this new KoRn jam.

Mileage may vary.

KoopahTroopah