Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Without [music] Life Would Be An Error

18910111214»

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The youtube does give some interesting music at times
    It showed me recently.
    Caroline Polachek

King Princess

A few months ago it showed me
    Sunflower bean which I do like

Cristoval
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Caroline Polachek is good times in Chairlift as well

HybridBrainleech
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    edited October 20
    There's a Dutch show called Beste Zangers that translates as either "Best Singers" or "Dear Singers" (and both are appropriate). The format is interesting: each year they recruit a selection of singers from various styles of music, and each week for the duration of the show one of the singers is honored and the other singers sing their own interpretations of songs that are meaningful to the singer in being honored (so it may mean songs they've written, songs they've performed, or songs that were otherwise important to them). There isn't a competition, other than that at the end of each episode, the singer being honored chooses one performer who touched them the most. They have one week to prepare their selections with the studio band (who are also incredible) and then they perform together in a one hour segment that intersperses interviews and context with the songs. Denise Hofs as provided English subtitles for us, so we can enjoy not just the songs, but also the full interview. It's by turns interesting, adorable, and tear-jerking. The chemistry and gentle friendliness of everyone is beautiful to watch.

Here's the first episode for 2019.

I found out about it because Floor Jansen is on the show this year (ex After Forever, ex ReVamp, current front-woman for Nightwish). She of course is incredible in her interpretations of other people's songs:

What surprised me was how good everyone else was.

Henk Poort's take on Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence is amazing:

Floor Jansen and Tim Akkerman's duet version of Shallow is sublime:

Emma Heesters makes me cry (no seriously, I was literally sobbing after listening to this song an hour ago):

And Samantha Steenwijk just rocks:

Bonus Beauty and the Beast (classic Nightwish fare) but with Henk Poort playing the part of the Beast:

I'm slowly working my way through the episodes, and while many of the songs aren't in English, the skill and emotion of the singers and the band is palpable and make it all worthwhile. We need something similar here in America.

Orca on
    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    BlackDragon480
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 20
    Agreed, I posted the solo Shallow cover right after that episode aired in the Netherlands, but none of the other awesome shit that went down. I find myself unusually drawn to this one:

Seeing an opera/classical god decked out in jeans and a cowboy hat doing Your Man is a juxtaposition that my brain still doesn't fully accept.

BlackDragon480 on
    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    Orca
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Agreed, I posted the solo Shallow cover right after that episode aired in the Netherlands, but none of the other awesome shit that went down. I find myself unusually drawn to this one (snipped to avoid quote spam)

Seeing an opera/classical god decked out in jeans and a cowboy hat doing Your Man is a juxtaposition that my brain still doesn't fully accept.

And it's so well done! Country isn't really my thing, but that performance I find compelling in all the right ways.

The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    BlackDragon480
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 22
    I'm a big fan of Helynt's remixes. They kill it at every front, and Game Chops just released another album by them in the same vein of the '& Chill' series called Super Lo-Fi World. It has a bunch of different game remixes in it and it's sweet.

KoopahTroopah on
    vH0O2se.gif
    BlackDragon480

XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    This is actually fire

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    New Anamanaguchi album is pretty good. Been like 5+ years since the last one.

As is the new Caroline Polachek album. Sounds kinda Imogen Heap-ish on some tracks.

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    KoopahTroopah
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    This is actually fire

These are fire

I'm really enjoying the new Anamanaguchi as well. It's funny I first saw them at PAX East way back in 2010, after playing their lone EP released at the time to death.

I went up to their merch booth after to buy the album and they were super nice to me. Glad to see those guys are doing well.

XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    Stabbity StyleKoopahTroopah
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying the new Anamanaguchi as well. It's funny I first saw them at PAX East way back in 2010, after playing their lone EP released at the time to death.

I went up to their merch booth after to buy the album and they were super nice to me. Glad to see those guys are doing well.

Yeah, they've definitely branched out/grown beyond just straight chiptune stuff into a more interesting fusion with EDM. Hardly feels like the same band that put out Dawn Metropolis.

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    Local H JayKreutz
    The boys even did a thing with Hatsune Miku

XB1/360 - Local H Jay
    PS4 - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    Stabbity Style
    The boys even did a thing with Hatsune Miku

It's a great song!

She's hiding in your Wifi.

SijLqhH.png
    Local H Jay
  • descdesc the '87 stick up kids Registered User regular