As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Without [music] Life Would Be An Error

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Apparently I'm years late on the Tatsuro Yamashita train. Fun train to be on, though.

I only discovered him about a year ago but yeah, city pop is a hella good genre and the bops are just solid all around

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    Stabbity StyleDark_Side
    This is good too

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    Stabbity StyleDark_Side
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Continuing with the dolphin theme, something from Beer for Dolphins:

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    have an absolutely stinky ragga jungle bassline

obF2Wuw.png
    KoopahTroopah
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Can a violin shred...

...yes it can.

jungleroomxKoopahTroopah
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    BOOST THE BASS AND GRAB THE KET ITS TIME TO ROLL

obF2Wuw.png
  • BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    @Frei

Obviously I’m very envious of your story because it’s a great one if you’re into Phoebe and/or the genre my wife calls “sad girls with guitars” like I am.

I got into everything through boygenius, then really latched onto Julien Baker, so I naturally ended up a big Phoebe fan.

It’s easy to write her music off as weepy, sarcastic, or derivative, and plenty do. That’s fine! But I’m glad she got the Grammy nod. I don’t care if she wins, I just think the recognition is cool. I’m glad she’ll be known for something other than a name that pops up if you google Ryan Adams.

PSN: thewheelz
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    All three of 'em are great but Lucy Dacus is my personal favorite of the Boygenius trio. This song just wrecks me:

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Never pre-order anything. Registered User regular
    Currently listening to:

SNAP

npgf5tyafjv0.png
    KoopahTroopahBlackDragon480Netscape
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    First World Problem Child still the best song on that album :razz:

Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah
    Switch: KoopahTroopah - PSN: Koopah089
    jungleroomxBlackDragon480
    edited February 11
    And now a fun game of "Count the time changes":

(Hint: it's triple digits)

BlackDragon480 on
    jungleroomx
    It's funny I was listening to this song when I left for work this morning not knowing I was gonna walk into being fired

Then I get home and the video is here. Something comforting.

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    edited February 22
    Skill is taking a metal song with loads of distortion and some growled vocals and make this arrangement out of ot:

Course, Simone could be engaging singing names out of a phone book.

BlackDragon480 on
    HappylilElfOrca
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punk-call-it-quits/amp/

Daft Punk is done, for now. Bummer!

KoopahTroopahKreutzHappylilElf
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 22
    I stumbled on this on YouTube. It has not nearly enough views. It's got some heavy Pink Floyd vibes, specifically during Song of Storms... it's dope.

KoopahTroopah on
    Marek
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 22
    Apparently I'm years late on the Tatsuro Yamashita train. Fun train to be on, though.

I only discovered him about a year ago but yeah, city pop is a hella good genre and the bops are just solid all around

That era of Japanese music runs deeep and it's all amazing. Jazz, fusion, pop, synth pop, even garage rock, they had it all. I heard a quote that there was so much money floating around Japan in the late 70's through to the 80's, that they were just tossing money at production and studio time. I discovered one of my true desert island discs in Casiopea's first album during a city pop dive on youtube. Yeah the sound is kind of dated jazz fusion, but the talent, playing, and melodies are top notch. You'll hear the effect this kind of music had in a bunch of Japanese video games that followed in the 90's.

Or like this album, which if David Bowie had made it, would have been a massive 80's hit in the US.

Dark_Side on
    Local H JayBlackDragon480
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »

Goodbye video, for those who haven't seen it:

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    KoopahTroopah
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    What's that? It's KKB!

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    Local H Jayflamebroiledchicken
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Daft Punk :(

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »
    Daft Punk :(

Don't be sad that something ended; be happy for the time you got to spend together.

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    CantidoKoopahTroopahKreutzPhoenix-D

The top clip did hit me a little hard. I think daft punk knew they had already made some of the most iconic works of our time. The song he chose was a love letter to one of their biggest influences, a sign that they knew they wouldn't be there if not for Giovanni's innovations. And looking forward you can see countless people who enjoyed and were inspired by that work. Entire genres spun out of the sounds the put together and they changed the way people approached sampling in music. Just legendary stuff all around.

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    KoopahTroopah
    edited March 4
    I don't think there's a way they could have topped Random Access Memories. That album is so fucking great.

"My name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everybody calls me, Giorgio." into the drop is just sick.

KoopahTroopah on
    Local H Jay
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Been listening to Square Dance and Project Majestic Mix again. Kinda surprised how well they still hold up. I remember first hearing them on some Squaresoft music station on Live365 like 19 years ago.

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    Favorite Metalcore band releases cover for one of my favorite TV shows.

Unexpected, but still really cool.

New Veil of Maya got me relistening to False Idol

This song is just absolute perfection

npgf5tyafjv0.png
    KoopahTroopahBlackDragon480
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    The YouTube algorithm led me to this:

Someone synched Daft Punk's "Touch" (where the part for 'if love is the answer, you're home' comes from originally) with their "Epilogue" goodbye video and it's pretty great.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    KoopahTroopah
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    DP splitting is just... damn.

I don't think an artist has ever so perfectly managed to bottle joy the way they did for me.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    Just cause.

Stabbity StyleLocal H Jay

Damn good

That one led me to this one and DAMN

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    KoopahTroopahBlackDragon480
    New ERRA album today! Technical Metalcore goodness with some Tool vibes thrown in.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3OuLJUIq1lBj8EUaoIQvWZ?si=R5nw7N1wQsayCsGRrZkbug

jungleroomx
    New ERRA album today! Technical Metalcore goodness with some Tool vibes thrown in.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3OuLJUIq1lBj8EUaoIQvWZ?si=R5nw7N1wQsayCsGRrZkbug

I'm digging it right now.

"Gungrave" is an absolute corker.

npgf5tyafjv0.png
    KoopahTroopah
    edited March 22
    That's a cool easy-core sound, I haven't heard something like this since With The Punches or Icallfives.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited March 23
    ERRA's self titled is going to be an contender for AOTY.

Just a monster of a disc.

jungleroomx on
    npgf5tyafjv0.png
    KoopahTroopah
    It's really fucking good. It says something when I didn't want to skip the singles to get to the rest of the disc, and then the rest of the disc is just as good. Gungrave, Eidolon, and Remnant are just sick.

jungleroomx
    It's really fucking good. It says something when I didn't want to skip the singles to get to the rest of the disc, and then the rest of the disc is just as good. Gungrave, Eidolon, and Remnant are just sick.

JT proved he can take the helm on songs and honestly the increased dynamics over their last album is the biggest draw for me.

That and moving labels to UNFD seems to have reinvigorated the band. Neon felt really lifeless to me, and that album had the advantage of being the first time I had heard them.

npgf5tyafjv0.png
    KoopahTroopah
    edited March 24
    Drift is excellent though. If you didn't go through their stuff before Neon. I agree Neon was bland, but it also had a couple tracks that stood out. Breach is awesome.

KoopahTroopah on

Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
    Lil Nas X put out a new song with a video on Friday and it's wild. I don't wanna link it cause it's nsfw, but both the video and the song are great.

• AbsalonAbsalon Registered User regular

This is not new at all, but I heard it yesterday for the first time and what a bop.

We are all as God made us and frequently much worse