As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ween-day-go see some [movies], will ya?

EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes UpRegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Social Entropy++
http://deadline.com/2016/02/pacific-rim-2-directed-by-steven-deknight-spartacus-creator-legendary-pictures-guillermo-del-toro-1201708221/

This is probably good news!

Oh yeah, and I guess there are other movies. Like Creed! That's out on DVD and Blu-ray soon, everyone should watch it!

What other movies are ya'll watching?

Etchwarts on

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I just watched Deadpool

I liked it

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I still really wanna see Hail Caesar

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    (snip)

And at that I told him I have in my back pocket an actor he despises, an actor who he fucking hates and I will unleash him come next February if he continues this war.
    Chris-Kattan-artist.jpg

So is it just gonna be a bunch of copies of Corky Romano and Night at the Roxbury?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    http://deadline.com/2016/02/pacific-rim-2-directed-by-steven-deknight-spartacus-creator-legendary-pictures-guillermo-del-toro-1201708221/

This is probably good news!

Oh yeah, and I guess there are other movies. Like Creed! That's out on DVD and Blu-ray soon, everyone should watch it!

What other movies are ya'll watching?

THIS BETTER NOT CRUSH MY DREAMS LIKE LAST TIME.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The D&D movie is rumored to be a mashup
    This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.”
    “I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.”

How can you take something that gives you a lot to build your world and yet mess it up every time
    It does the hard part for you yet you get it wrong every time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efSq9FF1r2Q

How many sessions did people play that even half assed could make a better rough draft

Brainleech on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That's

Not really a mash up

Funny fantasy adventures in a serious fantasy world are a long-standing thing

There are several official DnD stories that do this well!

CYpGAPn.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The D&D comic of 2010 was a good story. sadly it never got to finish as they went with Drizzt and Forgotten Realms.
    Drizzit is just boring!

really how a lot of RPGS help you set up the story and mood of the game and you just build it from what they give you it's not that hard to make a story
    Yet how can they mess it up so bad on the movies

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I just got back from The Witch, a film that I knew pretty much nothing about. I hadn't even seen a trailer.

It was pretty good.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.”
    “I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.”

How can you take something that gives you a lot to build your world and yet mess it up every time

How many sessions did people play that even half assed could make a better rough draft

Ah, so they truly are murder hobos.

Rooney Mara on Pan's shitty white washing.
    It was, she admits with understatement, a “tricky thing to deal with. There were two different periods; right after I was initially cast, and the reaction to that, and then the reaction again when the film came out.

“I really hate, hate, hate that I am on that side of the whitewashing conversation. I really do. I don’t ever want to be on that side of it again. I can understand why people were upset and frustrated.”

Still doesn't apologise for accepting the role.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/carol/rooney-mara-interview/

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    That sounds like "I'm sorry that there was a controversy and that I had to deal with it" rather than an actual apology for her role in it. Not seeing any admission of personal culpability.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Yeah.

Like the only "acceptable" (and there are some big fucking air quotes here) are if she accepted a different role, which was then amalgamated into tiger lily and she kept the role. But then, why wouldn't you walk away from the role.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Because you want to make rent and you're a 30-year-old woman in Hollywood?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Fishman wrote: »
    Because you want to make rent and you're a 30-year-old woman in Hollywood?

I'll agree that just walking away isn't always the easiest choice, but she still could have actually apologized for doing an offensive role. She said "sorry you got upset" not "sorry I upset you" and the difference between those two statements is really significant. There's nothing in that statement that implies she actually feels bad about her role in it at all. Hell, it borders on self-pitying.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, but did you read the full article?
    “Here is the thing, I have a lot to say and I have very strong opinions about it, but it is such a sensitive issue I don’t want to reduce it to a sound bite,” she explains, clearly, of her refusal to be drawn further.

“I feel like that is what is happening. It is being turned into pull quotes and headlines, and that isn’t opening up a conversation so much as pointing fingers at people and taking their awards out of context. I don’t want to step into the conversation in that way.”

Turning the very next thing she said on the topic into a definitive statement and pull quote is pretty reductive and useless. It robs the next statement of context, which is 'this is fucking mess and I want to say something but anything I say (or don't say) is going to be used against me'.

And look! Right here, on the internet! Prophecy fucking fulfilled.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It sounds to me like she was simply being very careful with her words. The interview starts with her specifically criticizing that the Oscars issue has devolved into headlines and soundbites. I would think the last thing she would want to come out of the interview would be a headline saying "Pan Star Regrets Taking Role" or something similar. Instead, she simply stated that she doesn't want to be in this situation again, that she agreed the cast wasn't diverse enough and showing empathy to the folks who she upset.

Michael B. Jordan will be playing the titular lead in a remake of the Thomas Crown Affair.

You put an at least competent director on that and will watch it opening night

A heist movie starring MBJ as a charming millionaire master thief? Yuuuuup.

CYpGAPn.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ok but is he playing Pierce Brosman or Steve McQueen?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    YES

THE RISE OF THE LIN MANUEMPIRE CONTINUES

CYpGAPn.png
    I'm really excited for the scene where Mary Poppins turns to the camera and says "Great Job, Griffin McElroy".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    This thread's title is a roller coaster ride of emotion

Please don't let there be any more loops, please

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Del Toro's not directing anymore?

I dunno how I feel about that.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Ah, so they truly are murder hobos.

I prefer Murder Hobbits

oots_310.png

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

This is gorgeous but also reminds me I gotta go pick up book 2 of the Dark Tower this week

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man I wish Weird Wednesdays here started at 9 rather than 10

I super wanna see We're Going to Eat You but ten on a work night is quite late...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

This looks terrible.

Hilariously terrible, perhaps? We'll see.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

I still can't watch anything related to the ring because of waking up in the middle of the night and seeing my tv turned on to a channel of static the night I saw it.

I'm pretty sure I just rolled onto my remote or something but that sure fucked me up for a while.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't even...
    Like, Ring girl and Grudge girl aren't even fighting type of ghosts
    They don't have powers or weapons or stuff that they can do to another ghost, they just kinda scare humans to death, or... something

Are they just gonna be spooky at each other or what

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Maybe it's some kind of ghost-version of a pranking contest, and whichever ghosts scares someone to death in the best manner is declared the winner by...I don't know, Beetlejuice or something.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I did that with some of the other Spookmasters doing haunted houses and similar interactive theatre

You try to get the most shrieks per hour, ya know?

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't even...
    They don't have powers or weapons or stuff that they can do to another ghost, they just kinda scare humans to death, or... something

Maybe it's more like Batman vs. Superman and it's mostly just them being dicks to each other and then they team up to kill the humans.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't even...

They get into a mortal-tormenting contest like Yahweh and Satan

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Fishman wrote: »
    Yeah, but did you read the full article?
    “Here is the thing, I have a lot to say and I have very strong opinions about it, but it is such a sensitive issue I don’t want to reduce it to a sound bite,” she explains, clearly, of her refusal to be drawn further.

“I feel like that is what is happening. It is being turned into pull quotes and headlines, and that isn’t opening up a conversation so much as pointing fingers at people and taking their awards out of context. I don’t want to step into the conversation in that way.”

Turning the very next thing she said on the topic into a definitive statement and pull quote is pretty reductive and useless. It robs the next statement of context, which is 'this is fucking mess and I want to say something but anything I say (or don't say) is going to be used against me'.

And look! Right here, on the internet! Prophecy fucking fulfilled.

I would like to know how the statement, "On reflection, taking the role was a mistake." is a bad soundbite that can be turned against her. What her statement says to me is that, I don't want to open up the conversation, because I'm the one at fault and I don't want people pointing fingers at me.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Saw Deadpool today, really enjoyed it. I laughed the whole way through. 4/5 would recommend.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    rhylith wrote: »

He has endorsed DeKnight and thinks he'll do a great job, if that helps.

If anything it is more likely to actually happen now

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

He has endorsed DeKnight and thinks he'll do a great job, if that helps.

If anything it is more likely to actually happen now

That's true, and I liked Daredevil a lot.

Just...maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think as long as like, they're basing the Jaegers and Kaiju on Del Toro's concept art, I'll be happy

This discussion has been closed.