As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior Online] The ship's landed, get out da bay door! (Thread Done)

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I don't think that salvage bonuses have been meaningfully significant since back during closed beta when we had to pay to repair our mechs after a match. Well before the great paulconomy depression that haunts us to this day.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    So I'm running into an issue of perspective. I feel like everyone's TTK is way faster than mine. I know this is not true from the youtubez and Twitches and whatnot, but It's become more uh.. prominent feeling in the last couple days. I survive longer (whole matches even!) and I'm doing consistent damage in line with what I'm seeing other people doing - but it feels like I'm always dying way faster than I can output damage myself.

This holds true regardless of class too. You know I favor the Lights, but even in the Timberwolf or Direwolf, I find that I feel like everyone else is putting out more effective damage.

Its true, mostly because of how focus fire from assisting will kill you much faster from multiple mechs than what you can kill when on your own.

RE: Weapon spread

Clan missiles are around a 15% wider spread than IS missiles, but since they are half the weight, when they add Artemis (20% tighter grouping) they get a slightly tighter spread and still weigh less.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I don't think that salvage bonuses have been meaningfully significant since back during closed beta when we had to pay to repair our mechs after a match. Well before the great paulconomy depression that haunts us to this day.

That was in closed beta? How was I in closed beta since I remember paying to fix my Commando (which sucked since I didn't do well enough to earn enough money to buy more mechs)? Makes me wonder how long I've actually been playing this game now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

That was in closed beta? How was I in closed beta since I remember paying to fix my Commando (which sucked since I didn't do well enough to earn enough money to buy more mechs)? Makes me wonder how long I've actually been playing this game now.

If you have a Coconut Monkey cockpit item and the PC Gamer camo + paint, at least since 2012.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Quick, somebody bust out the illegal super-PM stealth thread and get the dates on repair/re-arm...

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I think that was after the NDA lifted?

Through skimming the thread I did find some balance bitching. Atlases dying in 10 seconds and all that. Some things never change :P

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    from what I notice, raw damage is most important.

followed by components.

followed by kills.

Raw damage gives no cbills. They give you the formulas. Uavs give a lot of do and some cbills, for example.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Erlkönig wrote: »

If you have a Coconut Monkey cockpit item and the PC Gamer camo + paint, at least since 2012.

Since I was not really paying much attention to any forum at the time I missed out on the colors. Unless they gave the Coconut monkey for just being in the beta I wouldn't have that either.

Edit: Checked my join date for MWO in my profile and it says 2012... I wish I could remember.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    I was playing back in 2012. i remember because my daughter was barely a year old at that point and i would offer to stay up with her and get her to bed so my wife could sleep. Id just get her to sleep, put her on the couch and play some closed beta MWO.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Since I was not really paying much attention to any forum at the time I missed out on the colors. Unless they gave the Coconut monkey for just being in the beta I wouldn't have that either.

Edit: Checked my join date for MWO in my profile and it says 2012... I wish I could remember.

Actually, the reason why I remembered the 2012 date was because I just picked up the PC Gamer magazine Mechwarrior Online issue that was sitting in my bathroom and looked at the date. :P The backpage had the promo code printed there.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I was playing back in 2012. i remember because my daughter was barely a year old at that point and i would offer to stay up with her and get her to bed so my wife could sleep. Id just get her to sleep, put her on the couch and play some closed beta MWO.

That's some top-quality parenting, right there.

I nominate Hydro for Parent of the Decade, 2010's.

That, or as the Official Oosik Babysitter.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

That's some top-quality parenting, right there.

I nominate Hydro for Parent of the Decade, 2010's.

That, or as the Official Oosik Babysitter.

i already have a litter, whats a few more?

it was always frustrating because i had to be whisper quiet in Vent during the glory days when we were able to mount multiple 8 man (and eventually 12) man teams. That and having to bail at a moments notice when she woke up.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Through skimming the thread I did find some balance bitching. Atlases dying in 10 seconds and all that. Some things never change :P

Well, to be fair, back then it was because SRMs were doing four times the damage they were supposed to. Now we just have Lights that can boat more SRM6's than most Assaults.

• Options

Actually, the reason why I remembered the 2012 date was because I just picked up the PC Gamer magazine Mechwarrior Online issue that was sitting in my bathroom and looked at the date. :P The backpage had the promo code printed there.

That is some heavy bathroom reading material there.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

Well, to be fair, back then it was because SRMs were doing four times the damage they were supposed to. Now we just have Lights that can boat more SRM6's than most Assaults.

Well, SRMs used to splash. It was a wonderful time. You could splat a light and they'd fall over dead like they were supposed to if they caught a face full of SRM.

</noregretsCatapultmasterrace>

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

Well, SRMs used to splash. It was a wonderful time. You could splat a light and they'd fall over dead like they were supposed to if they caught a face full of SRM.

Also that awesome looking flight patten...which occasionally meant all the missiles would hit the same spot instead of spreading out.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

Also that awesome looking flight patten...which occasionally meant all the missiles would hit the same spot instead of spreading out.
    The 150m pinch in was a wonderful thing when you learned how to consistently use it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I really wish the missile flight patterns were more interesting

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Speaking of missiles, now that I can tell them appart, Clan LRMs do this cool little curve when they get close to the ground, unlike the IS missiles that go splat.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I wish LRMs fired more vertically than horizontally.

A lot of maps really limit LRMs because you cant use them cause they'll hit the hill 150m infront of you instead of flying over to hit the guy 700m away.

I'd like to see LRMs do a near vertical launch, and come down on targets at a steeper angle. Not straight down, that'd just completely break the game, but certainly steeper.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I wish LRMs fired more vertically than horizontally.

A lot of maps really limit LRMs because you cant use them cause they'll hit the hill 150m infront of you instead of flying over to hit the guy 700m away.

I'd like to see LRMs do a near vertical launch, and come down on targets at a steeper angle. Not straight down, that'd just completely break the game, but certainly steeper.

Ideally that would be another balancing factor for IS LRMs v cLRMs, where IS always launch upward at a 60 degree angle, and Clans only launch at like a 30 degree angle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd prefer to see "Launch Angle" added as a Quirkable 'Mech attribute.

Then some 'Mech geometry can get more interesting.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    So there is going to be a town hall tomorrow.

Also no event this weekend! Hurray! That means I can pilot my mechs for fun and not worry about too many meta players online.

Yeah right...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Remember kids, you can't spell FUN without F U!

• Options

Just thought of this post while looking at the Archer in the MWO Town Hall announcement. Would be cool if the Archer was the first mech to get this quirk.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Just thought of this post while looking at the Archer in the MWO Town Hall announcement. Would be cool if the Archer was the first mech to get this quirk.

I just want the archer to have 9 missile slots with 1 tube each.

So I can be a streamfiring jerk like clanners.

Just imagine all the flaps opening and a stream of furious bees swarming with the fury of all the IS's imbalanced rage.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Lights causing you trouble? Dragon bowling is the answer.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Oh god, that would be a hilarious mechanic to implement, if you decelerate a certain threshold over your deceleration rate you are considered to have failed your piloting check and fall down/over. (ie: by hitting a wall / building / other mech / etc)

It would also prevent the abuses of the old system, because if you are standing still, you cant be knocked over.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Oh god, that would be a hilarious mechanic to implement, if you decelerate a certain threshold over your deceleration rate you are considered to have failed your piloting check and fall down/over. (ie: by hitting a wall / building / other mech / etc)

It would also prevent the abuses of the old system, because if you are standing still, you cant be knocked over.

FORE!

On the Jenner IIC:

The Huginn and Oxide are brawlers. This thing? It's an assassin. I get much better more consistent games in the IS mechs so far, but the IIC is devastating when it works.

When it doesn't it gets torn apart in fairly short order. I think it's better balanced than people think

(This is all on the main varient sans elite quirks mind, getting the bills to buy two more)

• Options
    edited February 2016

argument for a skill tree vs what we have now.

Let you focus your player stats on gunnery (which gives range and cooldown), technical (increased heat dissipation, structure buffs, maybe zoom), handling (speed tweaks, better handling, tighter turning, more twist, etc) and support (ecm boosts, radar range, longer UAV timers, etc)

Which would let them reintroduce knockdowns and falldowns, and allow mechs to be more customizable instead of simply being an elite race.

also make the differences between pilots more important than loadout. if you have a handling pilot in an atlas come up against a gunnery pilot in an atlas.. the handling pilot will be more nimble, but the gunnery pilot will be able to fire more often.

Buttcleft on
  • Options

The reason I think it should be based on faction, is because Clans aren't supposed to be providing fire support to their allies due to Zellbriggen, so they only fire on mechs they already have LOS on, which would mean they only need about 15-30 degree launch angle of attack.

IS pilots are supposed to be supporting one another, thus the 45-60 degree launches to get them over terrain and arcing down onto enemies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The reason I think it should be based on faction, is because Clans aren't supposed to be providing fire support to their allies due to Zellbriggen, so they only fire on mechs they already have LOS on, which would mean they only need about 15-30 degree launch angle of attack.

IS pilots are supposed to be supporting one another, thus the 45-60 degree launches to get them over terrain and arcing down onto enemies.

Zellbrigen is a weak leg to stand on, as it only applies to Clan v. Clan honor duels, not the kind of warfare we engage in. This horse has been beaten past death.
    Sarna.net wrote:
    During the Clan Invasion the rules of zellbrigen lapsed, primarily because the Inner Sphere had no concept of Clan cultural norms and, in some cases, exploited them for "underhanded" victories. By the end of the campaign zellbrigen had all but died out in several Clans, while most still reserve it for inter-Clan confrontations or against worthy Inner Sphere warriors.[1][2]

PGI can't enforce it, so they shouldn't design for it.

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    I think clan mechs shouldn't get a target readout unless they are directly spotting target beyond the name and model of the target.

They should also have to 'claim' a target. Until they have claimed a target, no streaks or lrms locks!
    When 'claimed' the target should get in an indication they were claimed and a constant indication of the enemy that has claimed them.
    Clanners shouldn't be able to claim targets that other clanners have claimed at all and shouldn't be able to switch claimed targets unless unless: 1 they are attacked by another enemy mech or the claimed target or the clanner haven't damaged each other for say 30 seconds.

But then the try hards would complain when the IS abused the clan's honor code. I mean that's not cannon right?

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    BeornK wrote: »
    I think clan mechs shouldn't get a target readout unless they are directly spotting target beyond the name and model of the target.

They should also have to 'claim' a target. Until they have claimed a target, no streaks or lrms locks!
    When 'claimed' the target should get in an indication they were claimed and a constant indication of the enemy that has claimed them.
    Clanners shouldn't be able to claim targets that other clanners have claimed at all and shouldn't be able to switch claimed targets unless unless: 1 they are attacked by another enemy mech or the claimed target or the clanner haven't damaged each other for say 30 seconds.

But then the try hards would complain when the IS abused the clan's honor code. I mean that's not cannon right?

Real-time target claim and firing lockout system updating instantly across all pilots in a drop?

PGI can't get hitboxes to work right...

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Their LRMs converge better than the IS LRM blobs

This is actually not true. I was curious about this so I looked it up. Clan and IS LRMs have the same spread values between their respective launcher sizes (LRM20 = C-LRM20, etc). I fired up testing grounds and confirmed it against the Atlas at 350m dead on. 2 tons of LRMs fired from a IS and Clan LRM20 brought the Atlas down to 71% with orange ST armor and dark yellow CT internals.

I actually tested the C-LRM20 with my Summoner Prime first without realizing it had an -10% LRM spread quirk. With that quirk, it brought it down to 69% and breached the left torso armor.

Thunderbolt
    e9ofmwnulaj6.jpg

Summoner (-10% LRM spread quirk)
    zc27fcexnqtd.jpg

Hellbringer
    j239ehd4wlca.jpg

I'd say the reason you might think Clan LRMs are tighter is that it's easier to fit Artemis on them since they're half the weight

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Zellbrigen is a weak leg to stand on, as it only applies to Clan v. Clan honor duels, not the kind of warfare we engage in. This horse has been beaten past death.
    Sarna.net wrote:
    During the Clan Invasion the rules of zellbrigen lapsed, primarily because the Inner Sphere had no concept of Clan cultural norms and, in some cases, exploited them for "underhanded" victories. By the end of the campaign zellbrigen had all but died out in several Clans, while most still reserve it for inter-Clan confrontations or against worthy Inner Sphere warriors.[1][2]

PGI can't enforce it, so they shouldn't design for it.

If I really wanted to enforce Zellbriggen I would say that only a single Clan mech can lock onto an enemy at a time, and completely eliminate support fire.

Instead, I'm saying the Clan engineers designed their mechs with Zellbriggen in mind, thus they should reflect that in game. (it would also help to lore explain why IS LRMs have a minimum range, because the missiles cant arm & course correct inside the minimum range, while the Clan missiles are shooting more horizontally eliminating some of that penalty).

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    But I though the Arctic Cheetahs had some weird shield los tech or something. (Nothing else can explain it)

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    BeornK wrote: »
    But I though the Arctic Cheetahs had some weird shield los tech or something. (Nothing else can explain it)

I like this. Cheetz are getting hard to hit recently because the servers are collapsing and the netcode can't keep up with position data, so they're warping everywhere.

A LagShield isn't LosTech it's just poor coding and hardware. :rotate:

Tayrun on
  • Options
    speaking of shields.

I want Blue Shield.