As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Republican Debate X: Swapping Out the Whiskey for Tequila

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's hard to believe anything will be as big of a shitshow as Carson gumming up the works during the stage entrance, or Rubio repeating the same line ad nauseum while he's being accused of repeating himself, or Cruz having to prove he can speak Spanish, or Trump accusing Jeb of wanting to moon everybody, or...

Okay, actually, it's not hard to believe at all.

As a Canadian, this race has been fascinating (in a slow motion car crash kind of way) and seeing how being bilingual is being portrayed as being "bad" is amazing.

You should have been watching in 2004, when Kerry got an amazing amount of shit for speaking fluent French.

"It's bad enough you done knows how ta make words good, but you gotta make em in two whole languerges? We ain't look kindly on folks what know things, son."

We kind of expect our Prime Minister to be fluent in both English & French.

Like, wtf guys. since when has ignorance been a virtue?

This is America. When has it not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbrcRKqLSRw

Debates can be about issues and not yelling louder.

I can assure you that anti-intellectualism was around at the time of JFK's Presidency.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's hard to believe anything will be as big of a shitshow as Carson gumming up the works during the stage entrance, or Rubio repeating the same line ad nauseum while he's being accused of repeating himself, or Cruz having to prove he can speak Spanish, or Trump accusing Jeb of wanting to moon everybody, or...

Okay, actually, it's not hard to believe at all.

As a Canadian, this race has been fascinating (in a slow motion car crash kind of way) and seeing how being bilingual is being portrayed as being "bad" is amazing.

You should have been watching in 2004, when Kerry got an amazing amount of shit for speaking fluent French.

"It's bad enough you done knows how ta make words good, but you gotta make em in two whole languerges? We ain't look kindly on folks what know things, son."

We kind of expect our Prime Minister to be fluent in both English & French.

Like, wtf guys. since when has ignorance been a virtue?

This is America. When has it not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbrcRKqLSRw

Debates can be about issues and not yelling louder.

I can assure you that anti-intellectualism was around at the time of JFK's Presidency.

Plus debates back then were always better when they descended into petty attacks not even Trump would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8

• KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    I'll sock you in the goddamn face, and you'll stay plastered

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We had a party that referred to themselves as the "Know Nothings" at one point.

They hated immigrants and the Pope.

Politics. Politics never changes.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »

The Know Nothings were more interesting than Trump.
    The most aggressive and innovative legislation came out of Massachusetts, where the new party controlled all but three of the 400 seats; only 35 had any previous legislative experience. The Massachusetts legislature in 1855 passed a series of reforms that "burst the dam against change erected by party politics, and released a flood of reforms."[21] Historian Stephen Taylor says that in addition to nativist legislation:
    the party also distinguished itself by its opposition to slavery, support for an expansion of the rights of women, regulation of industry, and support of measures designed to improve the status of working people.[22]
    Historian John Mulkern has examined the party's success in sweeping to almost complete control of the Massachusetts legislature after its 1854 landslide victory. He finds the new party was populist and highly democratic, hostile to wealth, elites, and to expertise, and deeply suspicious of outsiders especially Catholics. The new party's voters were concentrated in the rapidly growing industrial towns, where Yankee workers faced direct competition with new Irish immigrants. Whereas the Whig Party was strongest in high income districts, the Know Nothing electorate was strongest in the poor districts. They expelled the traditional upper-class closed political leadership class, especially the lawyers and merchants. In their stead they elected working class men, farmers, and a large number of teachers and ministers. Replacing the moneyed elite were men who seldom owned $10,000 in property.[18]

Nationally, the new party leadership showed incomes, occupation and social status that were about average. Few were wealthy, according to detailed historical studies of once-secret membership rosters. Fewer than 10% were unskilled workers who might come in direct competition with Irish laborers. They enlisted few farmers, but on the other hand, they included many merchants and factory owners.[19] The party's voters were by no means all native-born Americans, for it won more than a fourth of the German and British Protestants in numerous state elections. It especially appealed to Protestants such as the Lutherans, Dutch Reformed, and Presbyterians.[20]

It passed legislation to regulate railroads, insurance companies, and public utilities. It funded free textbooks for the public schools, and raised the appropriations for local libraries and for the school for the blind. Purification of Massachusetts against divisive social evils was a high priority. The legislature set up the state's first reform school for juvenile delinquents, while trying to block the importation of supposedly subversive government documents and academic books from Europe. It upgraded the legal status of wives, giving them more property rights and more rights in divorce courts. It passed harsh penalties on speakeasies, gambling houses and bordellos, It passed prohibition legislation with penalties that were so stiff—such as six months in prison for serving one glass of beer—that juries refused to convict. Many of the reforms were quite expensive; State spending rose 45% on top of a 50% hike in annual taxes on cities and towns. Extravagance angered the taxpayers; few Know Nothings were reelected.[23]

The highest priority included attacks on the civil rights of Irish Catholic immigrants. After this, State courts lost the power to process applications for citizenship and public schools had to require compulsory daily reading of the Protestant Bible (which the nativists were sure would transform the Catholic children). The governor disbanded the Irish militias, and replaced Irish holding state jobs with Protestants. It failed to reach the two-thirds vote needed to pass a state constitutional amendment to restrict voting and office holding to men who had resided in Massachusetts for at least 21 years. The legislature then called on Congress to raise the requirement for naturalization from five years to 21 years, but Congress never acted.[24] The most dramatic move by the Know Nothing legislature was to appoint an investigating committee designed to prove widespread sexual immorality under way in Catholic convents. The press had a field day following the story, especially when it was discovered that the key reformer was using committee funds to pay for a prostitute. The legislature shut down its committee, ejected the reformer, and saw its investigation become a laughing stock.[25][26][27][28]

They are a good example of why a few decent things mixed with crazy jackassery and no understanding of basic practicality is not good.

Couscous on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

We really, really don't want 19th century U.S. politics with 21st century weaponry.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Richard Hofstadter wrote "Anti-intellectualism in American Life" in 1963.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

CAPTION THE CANDIDATES!

Trump: "You fuck my daughter?"
    Cruz: "I'm sorry, we're all out of chicken salad."
    Rubio: "No, sir, there's no finer car than the '97 Taurus! It'll be a real classic one day, and she can be yours for just $6500."
    Kasich: "Number 1 is more blurry, I guess. Maybe Number 2? It's hard to say. They're both blurry."
    Carson: "I have a condition called 'narcoleptic anhedonia.' Yes, it's a real thing. Look it up. Don't do that, actually."

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I like Asimov's quote- “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    ugh my co-workers went out to the bar straight from work and i just got home.

I am going to be sobering up for this.

This is all wrong!! ALL WRONG!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    I like Asimov's quote- “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

I hate to break it to Ol' Sidebeards, but in a democracy, it does.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »

I hate to break it to Ol' Sidebeards, but in a democracy, it does.

Well, I also like this one-

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." -Winston Churchill

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    oh my god George Bush Sr looked so pissed.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    This, whatever it is, intro? It's embarrassing. EPIC SHOWDOWN FOR THE SOUL OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY

TREASURE TROVE OF DELEGATES TO THE WINNER

Come on, CNN...

Psn:wazukki
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Damn, Bush the Elder looks rough, but I guess you're lucky to be there at all at 91.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Walking out one at a time, risky move.

Seal wrote: »
    Walking out one at a time, risky move.

Smart move calling Carson last though

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is not a sporting event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmS_VDvMY

YL9WnCY.png
  • CanipsoCanipso Deep Terror Threshark Registered User regular
    Chants of USA! USA! USA! after the singing of the national anthem. I don't remember that from previous debates.

Can't wait to see what else the crowd has in store for us!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The bell is super important this time guys! Surely nobody will ignore it!

Please?

Rubio almost glitched out there

The bell is super important this time guys! Surely nobody will ignore it!

Please?

*bing bing*

Carson goes first! Country is so divided, we need to unite, don't destroy each other. VP speech?

Kasich next. Anecdote, young people can do whatever you want with your life 'cause America. Pursue your dreams, shoot for the stars, America is great, you can do it.

Our nation is heading off the abyss of destruction

Why are they always so apocalyptic?

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Haha. Carson opens by making sure Rubio/Cruz look bad when they start attacking Trump. Good job, buddy, I'm sure the RNC appreciates it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Carson: America is heading for destruction.

Kasich: America is great!

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Was that Scott Walker and Bobby Jindal in the audience? I thought the best part of being eliminated was that you didn't need to show up for these.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    yeah, those first two sounded like VP/conceding speeches.

Rubio: We have to find our identity as a party. Reagan and Bush defined conservatism. Gotta stick to that. Not anger and fear. Hopes and dreams!

Kaputa wrote: »

Isn't heading off the abyss of destruction a good thing compared to heading into it?

Cruz: "Texas! We are finally in a place where I might have a chance of winning! TEXAAAASSSSSS"

Weak openings for both Ben and John. Sounds completely ill prepared.

Cruz: I involuntarily tuned out. No idea.

Trump: Make America Great Again. We don't win anymore. We don't win we dont win blah blah. Obamacare repeal and replace. Borrrrring borrring low energy

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I fucking hate Trump's speech patterns.

Wolf: "Trump, you will never win Latinos. Explain how much you have lost this demographic."

I was really hoping that he was going to follow up with...."And the world as well. Climate change is critically important, and will be my focus tonight."

I fucking hate Trump's speech patterns.

They're the best speech patterns. Just great.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Rubio did not start well.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    Wolf: "Trump, you will never win Latinos. Explain how much you have lost this demographic."

Also, Wolf: Trump, Cruz is to the right of you on immigration

Trump: Cruz is in charge of amnesty!

Canipso wrote: »

I was really hoping that he was going to follow up with...."And the world as well. Climate change is critically important, and will be my focus tonight."
    Yeah, exactly. I have pretty pessimistic views about the medium to long term future of global industrial civilization, so it's not like I'm one to mock the doomsayers.

But it's weird to hear from the Republican candidates, who don't regard most of the things I see as endangering our civilization as actual problems.

This discussion has been closed.