As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Reached the bottom of the mine. It was a decent trek. Now I can mine for anything!

Also, has anyone figured out what the fuck that creepy sound is on rainy days!?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Homestead cave question:
    I'm thinking of making it a mushroom factory. Good idea, or is the fruit route better?
    I went with the mushrooms. I figured that down the line I'll have a bunch of each fruit tree, but mushrooms I'd have to harvest in the wild without that cave.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Reached the bottom of the mine. It was a decent trek. Now I can mine for anything!

Frogs.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wait so if i pay you upgrade my watering can you need to work on it for a few days?

b...but my crops

*twitch*

GIVE ME MY WATERING CAN BACK, YOU JACKASS

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    It would be awesome if you could pay the Wizard to make it rain on your homestead.

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    I normally wait for a rainy day being next to upgrade the can, if you water all the crops then give the can to the blacksmith you can get it back the day after the rain and not lose any crop progress.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Wait so if i pay you upgrade my watering can you need to work on it for a few days?

b...but my crops

*twitch*

GIVE ME MY WATERING CAN BACK, YOU JACKASS

Keep checking the weather channel, and when it says it's going to rain tomorrow, upgrade the can. The rain takes care of the crops, and you can get the can back the day after.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It is a good thing I saw this before I went to upgrade the can. Hoo boy, that woulda sucked.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    ...okay so even if you're not gonna marry him, everyone should get Sebastian (the emo kid) to six hearts.
    You get to play DnD

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Just hit my first summer and went all in on corn. Had a fairy come and instantly grow some of my crops, so things are looking pretty good right about now.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Oooh, got an ancient seed! From what I saw they grow in Spring, Summer and Fall. Even better, they keep regrowing their fruit after harvesting. I'll be planting that sucker on the first day of summer.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

Frogs.

No, the sounds frogs make are distinctly different than the creepy sound that sounds like a damn zombhost.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Grampa's ghost, judging you.
    No, okay, I have no idea, but that's what I've always assumed it was.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    It would be awesome if you could pay the Wizard to make it rain on your homestead.

It'd be awesome if the Wizard did anything. Got him to 10 hearts, and the only benefit you get is access to his basement at 5 hearts.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    While searching for how to attach bait to a rod I stumbled across a character/quest spoiler. But it's kind of funny.
    The quest to find the mayor's lost lucky purple shorts
    real spoiler:
    They're in Marnie's bedroom.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

It'd be awesome if the Wizard did anything. Got him to 10 hearts, and the only benefit you get is access to his basement at 5 hearts.

that seems appropriate

• Options
    monikazappermonikazapper the mouthless seaRegistered User regular
    Currently installing this game and I'm very excited to play it, since I'm a Harvest Moon fan (played Back to Nature on PSone). I've watched a couple of streams on Twitch and the music is amazing! I heard though that the entire game can be finished in 20 hours. To the people who've played it already, how true is that? I'm a bit worried that I'll finish it sooner than I want to.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Currently installing this game and I'm very excited to play it, since I'm a Harvest Moon fan (played Back to Nature on PSone). I've watched a couple of streams on Twitch and the music is amazing! I heard though that the entire game can be finished in 20 hours. To the people who've played it already, how true is that? I'm a bit worried that I'll finish it sooner than I want to.

I'm somewhere around 20 hours and don't feel anywhere near "finished".

Also it seems like there's at least a couple of different ways you can play it that encourage multiple playthroughs.

• Options
    I've put maybe 15 hours in and haven't even made it past the 2nd month. I'm nowhere near finishing my first game of it. Not to mention there's basically 2 completely different plots you could see if chose to be a corporate parasite instead of wholesome townsperson.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikazappermonikazapper the mouthless seaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the info! I do like multiple endings. For me replayability makes it worth the money. Anyway, I doubt I can play for 20 hours straight. I would have to wait for the weekend D:

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I've put maybe 15 hours in and haven't even made it past the 2nd month. I'm nowhere near finishing my first game of it. Not to mention there's basically 2 completely different plots you could see if chose to be a corporate parasite instead of wholesome townsperson.

I hope the wholesome ending lets me murder Morris and bury his body in one of my fields. That guy has it comin'

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

I hope the wholesome ending lets me murder Morris and bury his body in one of my fields. That guy has it comin'

MORRIS IS GREAT. JOJA MART HELPS PEOPLE. GIVE ME YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So is there any point in talking to people if you don't have a gift for them? I know some HM games had conversation raise affinity but some had only gifts do that and I'm not sure which one side this falls under.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Sometimes they say interesting things? Also they sometimes mention what they (or more often, someone else) likes to receive as gifts.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So is there any point in talking to people if you don't have a gift for them? I know some HM games had conversation raise affinity but some had only gifts do that and I'm not sure which one side this falls under.
    They do gain affinity just by talking to them. It's much slower, of course, but it is there.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Just like real life, throw diamonds at everyone until they love you.

No chit-chat, here's some diamonds.

• Options
    Sometimes they say interesting things? Also they sometimes mention what they (or more often, someone else) likes to receive as gifts.

Yeah but is what they have to say more interesting than the gold ore and blackberries I'm missing out on by talking to them? Probably not!

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Man...went to the first flower dance and nobody would dance me. Fuck you guys, gonna go live on my farm alone!

• Options
    Fuuuuuck I don't want to do the year 2 flower dance alone again.

Maybe I'll just skip the entire thing.

GOD IT'S LIKE HIGHSCHOOL ALL OVER AGAIN

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Fuuuuuck I don't want to do the year 2 flower dance alone again.

Maybe I'll just skip the entire thing.

GOD IT'S LIKE HIGHSCHOOL ALL OVER AGAIN

Stardew Valley: Too undeveloped to have an actual school in town but we still have all the cliquishness and social awkwardness.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Oh, I am going to drown penny in whatever shiny googaws she loves, and the next flower dance? She will be mine.

Edit: two days before the last day of spring year one and I decide to get around to checking out whatever that cut rate Mandrake unlocked in the community center. Oh. I need to forage a bunch of crap in two days, craaaaaaaaaap. Made it just under the wire though!

Nosf on
  • Options
    I do wish there was a little more characterization to some of the characters before you started to build up affinity with them.

So far each one has had some depth beyond the superficial "I enjoy living here/I hate living here" layer so I'm curious about all the NPCs now but there's little that indicates some would be interesting to examine further and giving gifts to from the start.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Oh, I am going to drown penny in whatever shiny googaws she loves, and the next flower dance? She will be mine.

Edit: two days before the last day of spring year one and I decide to get around to checking out whatever that cut rate Mandrake unlocked in the community center. Oh. I need to forage a bunch of crap in two days, craaaaaaaaaap. Made it just under the wire though!

And then your reward is something you can only plant in the Spring anyway!

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I do wish there was a little more characterization to some of the characters before you started to build up affinity with them.

So far each one has had some depth beyond the superficial "I enjoy living here/I hate living here" layer so I'm curious about all the NPCs now but there's little that indicates some would be interesting to examine further and giving gifts to from the start.

Several of them treat you like shit as well, so it's like... why would I want to get to know these assholes?

• Options

And then your reward is something you can only plant in the Spring anyway!

At least it starts you off with a big pile of seeds. And the nice thing about forage items, is that while they don't sell super well, you can make your own seeds without having to buy them. Do they also take watering or have I been wasting my time tending to something which grows on its own in the wild?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm finally starting to progress the plot, and THE WIZARD has been the dumbest but also best thing. I love that this is a serious down to earth farming game and then there's just A WIZARD.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Several of them treat you like shit as well, so it's like... why would I want to get to know these assholes?

I've started purposely giving the girly girl whose name I forget seaweed and various trash because of her answer when I asked her to dance.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Haley?

My personal ranking is (Penny or Leah I can't decide) > Maru > Abigal >>>> Haley.
    Abigail might tie or outrank Maru if she hadn't beaten me at the egg hunt requiring me to reload the game to get that sweet straw hat.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I want this game so bad but I have one important question.
    Will it destroy my GPA?

• Options
    Are you an agricultural economics major?

steam_sig.png