As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Is there something I should be feeding/bringing to the chickens or do they just lay eggs on their own?

Also what's the point of donating stuff to the museum? It keeps telling me that Gunther will tell me more about the item after I turn it in but then he doesn't?

The others covered the basics of eating. Animals that don't eat the previous day/night won't produce product and probably be a bit miffed at you.

Donating stuff to the museum unlocks various rewards. You will want those rewards though some of the earlier ones are underwhelming.

A few specific items have added functionality when donated. For example, donating an ancient seed gives you a recipe to turn future ones you find into seeds you can plant as well as giving you a starter planting seed.

The descriptions appear on future copies of the item you find, not from Gunther himself.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    And golly, is that automatic feeder handy. Just keep an eye on your stock of hay. Make sure you have enough for the winter!

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    And golly, is that automatic feeder handy. Just keep an eye on your stock of hay. Make sure you have enough for the winter!

Winter + first parts of Spring. Your grass won't be in great shape at the start of Spring so a barn and coop full of animals won't get enough just from grazing.

Hay is dirt cheap from Marney though, easily offset by even basic egg production.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    If I remember my numbers correctly, a single full silo can support 8 animals through all of winter, so if you go a single fully upgraded barn+coop, you need three silos total.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    If I remember my numbers correctly, a single full silo can support 8 animals through all of winter, so if you go a single fully upgraded barn+coop, you need three silos total.

Though you can restock hay from Marnie if you find yourself running short in the Winter (or any time else).

Steam Profile
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Why close the door for the animals at night?I always leave the door to my coop open (i have a fence ofc so they dont go anywhere),

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I've been in the mines a lot but never got killed. Finally after having an amazingly successful run I hit a black slime with a star that destroyed me.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Though you can restock hay from Marnie if you find yourself running short in the Winter (or any time else).

Pssh, if she's ever actually at her cash register.

I will sometimes take hay out of the hopper, in huge amounts, and put it in a chest. Then with the massive amount of wild grass I let grow out of the way of the animals, I keep the silos topped up. I'll be doing that pretty soon now that it's the end of Fall in my current game.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Why close the door for the animals at night?I always leave the door to my coop open (i have a fence ofc so they dont go anywhere),

They don't like the door being left open. I don't know that it will actually decrease their heart totals but it definitely slows heart growth.

• Options
    Lind wrote: »

Mostly ease of gathering and tracking. A lot of people keep a barn and coop right next to each other, especially on space limited maps like the forest and hill top, so having both sets of animals spill out next to each other makes it hard to pet them all. Plus many will keep a chest with a milk pail and sheers in the barn itself so it's easier to use when all the animals are inside instead of half outside, half meandering inside. And a lot of players don't use fences at least early on when supplies are limited. Less of an issue later on when you don't build much out of stone anymore.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Today I got a reminder that the random name generator used for babies is the same generator used for animals. Probably best to take a few seconds to think up of a name yourselves in this case.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Today I got a reminder that the random name generator used for babies is the same generator used for animals. Probably best to take a few seconds to think up of a name yourselves in this case.

this is my daughter, quackaroo

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I have more questions, some of them might be spoilery? I'll put them in spoiler tags just to be safe:
    What's with the UFO that flies over my house randomly during the overnight screen, does that signify something else happening or is it just an easter egg? Edit: I don't want to know exactly what it does..only if it actually does something or not)

What's the point of the train passing through the station? Even when I get there early it just kinda rolls on by.

Where exactly should I be at monetarily at the end of summer for year 2? My total earnings to date are 297,861 and I have 94k in the bank, I've been focusing primarily on farming, am I behind/ahead/where I should be? Also what the hell should I buy? I have a barn and a coop with 2 cows and 4 chickens, and I'm about to upgrade my house. Other than that I'm not really sure what to spend it on other than more crops.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    For your second question, it isn't even a spoiler. You can be at whatever you want to be at man. No stress.

Year two is a good time to buy fruit trees though.

There really isn't an objective, just farm what feels right.

• Options
    I have more questions, some of them might be spoilery? I'll put them in spoiler tags just to be safe:
    What's with the UFO that flies over my house randomly during the overnight screen, does that signify something else happening or is it just an easter egg? Edit: I don't want to know exactly what it dies.. just if it actually does something or not)

What's the point of the train passing through the station? Even when I get there early it just kinda rolls on by.

Where exactly should I be at monetarily at the end of summer for year 2? My total earnings to date are 297,861 and I have 94k in the bank, I've been focusing primarily on farming, am I behind/ahead/where I should be? Also what the hell should I buy? I have a barn and a coop with 2 cows and 4 chickens, and I'm about to upgrade my house. Other than that I'm not really sure what to spend it on other than more crops.

For the first thing you mentioned, apparently it's just a random easter egg.

I can't really answer the third thing, because it's been a while since I played it. I don't remember where I was at that stage, plus it all depends on your goals.

Second thing:
    Stuff will fall off the train that you can collect. But it's nothing terribly rare - stone, wood, geodes, etc. Apparently things won't fall off the train in the winter until after the 25th, though.

Also, thanks to my visiting the Stardew Valley wiki to help refresh my memory on that last thing, I learned there is an area of the game I've never seen!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Enc wrote: »
    For your second question, it isn't even a spoiler. You can be at whatever you want to be at man. No stress.

I'm aware of the laissez-faire attitude of the game towards objectives, even still there's gotta be an average that most farming focused players will be at at that stage and it'd be nice to know if I have the money to buy all the upcoming buildings and shiny things so I can kick vack and explore or if I'll need to keep hustlin' through the winter.

edit: Thanks for the answers guys. I have a policy of not using strategy guides or wiki's for any reason except lore but as an exemption I allow myself a few question asks on forums per game. It's meant to mimic asking kids on the bus/in class etc for help when I was a kid. Basically I'm trying to bring that pre-internet feeling of accomplishment that you get from figuring a game out on your own back.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »

I'm aware of the laissez-faire attitude of the game towards objectives, even still there's gotta be an average that most farming focused players will be at at that stage and it'd be nice to know if I have the money to buy all the upcoming buildings and shiny things or if I'll need to keep hustlin' through the winter.

That's the thing: So many players play the game in different ways that it's tough to really quantify this stuff. If someone doesn't have as much raw farming income but has a ton of sprinklers, kegs/preserver jars, and crab pots from hitting the mines versus someone that just planted the most profitable crop each season but has to water them all by hand it's not a straight forward comparison.

And then there's stuff like bundle completion, reserving some produce for use as gifts or cooking, going for the ship x of every crop achievements, etc that can alter how people are approaching farming. Plus a lot of players are veteran players and go in with a lot more knowledge that really adds up. And that's not even getting to some of the random stuff that can greatly benefit some games. Case in point, I found an ancient seed during my first spring which has let me plant that sucker and make seeds from its fruit throughout my first year and gave a tremendous boost to my setup. Other players might find special eggs earlier, more artifacts to donate for some of those rewards earlier, finish some bundles with rewards earlier, etc.

Moneywise, you seem to be doing fine assuming you have upgraded your tools a little (gold tools are nice but not really necessary for farming itself). You're not flush with cash but there's not a ton to buy if you're focused on crops either.
    Upgrading the barn and coop to handle more animal types and an autofeeder especially are worthy purchases. Coop upgrades are especially nice as they let you hatch new birds from eggs so you only ever need one animal or egg as a starter.

House upgrades go from important for the first 2 to not as critical to the last. The 1st enables cooking (which is extremely handy for gifting) and marriage, the 2nd enables children, and the 3rd gives you a cellar that can be used to age certain goods to higher quality but it will take a while to recoup that substantial investment.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    On my last farm I had a chicken coop filled with tiny stegosaurs, a forest full of giant mushrooms, and a fenced off area on the left side of the pond dedicated to breeding the loveliest shade of dark blue slime.

There really isn't an average milestone for players at all or any path to take. Just do what you enjoy.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    What's with the UFO that flies over my house randomly during the overnight screen, does that signify something else happening or is it just an easter egg? Edit: I don't want to know exactly what it does..only if it actually does something or not)

end of summer year 2 and only 94k in the bank?

you should probably delete your save

maybe sell your Switch out of sheer shame
    You're doing fine. That's probably about where I was at by that point on my first farm. I think I spent the rest of year 2 upping friendships, getting married and exploring some Other Places that I won't tell you about unless you want to be spoiled.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I am in winter year 1 and I have very little monies. About 10k. I dunno if I didn't farm enough crops or sell enough of them or what. Basically I've been selling all silver crops and keeping the rest, because I didn't know if I needed gold for anything specific other than the high quality crops bundle, which is taken care of now. I just learned that quality crops don't result in better artisan goods so I might go sell everything gold and see what that gets me. I am going to have to kinda hurry and be meticulous if I'm going to get the community center done in year 2. Have to figure out fruit trees, and be able to afford them.

Wasn't sure what "favorite thing" did like most people:

ncG1TUU.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If I plant fruit trees in the winter will I have fruit in the spring? Or do fruit trees not grow in the winter?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have to know.
    Why three nachos.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If I plant fruit trees in the winter will I have fruit in the spring? Or do fruit trees not grow in the winter?

Fruit trees will grow in winter. They sometimes don't appear to grow at all, but once spring starts they will shoot up to their full growth.

However, whether or not you have fruit in the spring will depend on which type of trees you plant, as each tree only produces fruit in the fruits season. Such as I believe cherries only fruit in spring, and apples only fruit in fall.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    I have to know.
    Why three nachos.

Because two or four just wouldn't have quite that exact same flavor, y'know?

Partly it is because of Nethack, which I have played for ages and has a couple things you can customize about your characters. My dog is always named Pooch McMooch, my cat is always named Mewmaster (which is also true in Stardew Valley), my horse is always Clip-Clop and the custom food item was always Stupendous Nacho. But that wouldn't fit here.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I am in winter year 1 and I have very little monies. About 10k. I dunno if I didn't farm enough crops or sell enough of them or what. Basically I've been selling all silver crops and keeping the rest, because I didn't know if I needed gold for anything specific other than the high quality crops bundle, which is taken care of now. I just learned that quality crops don't result in better artisan goods so I might go sell everything gold and see what that gets me. I am going to have to kinda hurry and be meticulous if I'm going to get the community center done in year 2. Have to figure out fruit trees, and be able to afford them.

Bear in mind that item quality affects gifting so if any of those gold crops are of use as gifts, you may not want to sell all your gold ones.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Bear in mind that item quality affects gifting so if any of those gold crops are of use as gifts, you may not want to sell all your gold ones.

You'll get a lot more 'friend points' out of a no-star Love gift than a gold star Like gift. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

You'll get a lot more 'friend points' out of a no-star Love gift than a gold star Like gift. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    BUT what if it's a gold star LOVE gift

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

BUT what if it's a gold star LOVE gift

A bunch of npcs love Pumpkins, some love Sunflowers, some love Melons, etc.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I always keep a few gold quality cauliflowers on hand for the beach party also.

• Options
    I should make a chest with nothing but my fall display in it so I never lose those items and can win every year.

Actually just a "set this stuff aside" chest.

• Options
    I should make a chest with nothing but my fall display in it so I never lose those items and can win every year.

Actually just a "set this stuff aside" chest.

Heh I actually did this. Can't wait till next year so I can win 1k points and lose it on gambling a few moments later again.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Gambling: bet on green. The wheel turn variation is set up in a way that green is way more likely to win than orange.

• Options
    To really clean up, make small bets on green, until it comes up orange. Then make a large bet on green, because it's there is very little chance of it landing on orange twice in a row.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Gambling: bet on green. The wheel turn variation is set up in a way that green is way more likely to win than orange.

Sadly this got fixed in an update iirc

I was gonna play this all casual this time

I was gonna be chill and just do whatever

Nope. Only halfway through fall 1 with 57 quality sprinkler plots planted and on track for a 160k+ month :P

• Options

heh

Also, apparently there's a bug affecting some Switch owners where the game crashes when you try to save.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Sadly this got fixed in an update iirc

I was gonna play this all casual this time

I was gonna be chill and just do whatever

Nope. Only halfway through fall 1 with 57 quality sprinkler plots planted and on track for a 160k+ month :P

It would have had to have been a very recent update (or maybe Switch only?) since I definitely had a Green bias during my fall fair ~ 1 week ago.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »

Nah man, it's all about dat Truffle Oil. What kind of foodie are you!?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »

The kind that isn't wasting my truffle oil on a communal vat of soup big enough to bathe a horse in. Cauliflower is good enough for them.

• Options
    akjak wrote: »

Gold Cauliflower gets a better result than Truffle Oil. A gold Truffle also works better than the oil.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yeah but you can rub truffle oil all over your body to reduce friction burns, so it's the superior ingredient.

Just ask Mayor Lewis.