As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Just marry one of her kids.

"If your parents want to have Christmas at our place your mom needs to finish the kitchen expansion."

"What's that? She's bugging you about grandchildren? Well, you can tell her that I have better things to spend fifty thousand dollars and one hundred fifty hardwood on than a house expansion, so make me a deal."

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've been looking for some PC game I can sit down and relax with. I keep seeing this one pop up.

Is there any sort of multiplayer component, visiting other people's areas or something?

Are there any sales or anything? It's a little higher than I usually pay for Steam games, especially ones I don't know much about in an unfamiliar genre.

Do yourself a favour and modify your usual behaviour.

Games like this absolutely deserve your money. One dude working on it for 4 years and it comes out polished, fantastic, and exactly what fans of the genre have been wanting for years?

He could have charged $30 and I wouldn't have hesitated. $15 is a steal. You've probably spent more on a hamburger meal that was gone in 7 minutes.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah I definitely got my money's worth out of this, and already purchased another copy so my girlfriend can play it too.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    So I have found a magical fishing spot. Every fish you catch is 100% guaranteed to be gold star quality.
    GyRFR1Z.jpg

That's after only six-ish hours. Can't wait to come here during a rainy day/winter.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thats one of my favorite spots as well, and DAMN Steel Angel you are making some serious progress through the first year! I'm guessing the mines brought in a lot of money and ore?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Thats one of my favorite spots as well, and DAMN Steel Angel you are making some serious progress through the first year! I'm guessing the mines brought in a lot of money and ore?

I'm not really sure where I am moneywise. I'm not hurting since I've upgraded my house once, have two gold tools, an iridium fishing rod, and have money in the bank to upgrade to a gold watering can (currently have a copper one) in the winter but I also have a pretty small farm by some standards. I have 3 mid-tier sprinklers so that's 24 crop tiles plus . . . I think 9 more I still have to water manually. While there's lots of ore in the mines, I don't sell any of it and most gems aren't worth that much so it's probably not a huge money maker aside from the first few tiers of Museum rewards giving some valuable seeds. On the other hand, I have all the ore and stuff I need to craft things which probably does make money.

My chicken coup was up and running at full capacity by early summer and converting up to 4 eggs to mayo each day is a steady income source. And I had a preserves jar running since summer so I was selling Spice Berry Jam and turning melons into jam instead of selling them raw which is a good chunk of cash every few days working through my stockpile. Four tappers on trees in my farm and two beehives add some occasional income too. Four crab traps on the beach (mind you 3 were from bundle rewards, not crafted) are a steady income supplement too though pretty low yield. Also, having over half my farm watered without my input frees up some time to fish or forage. I probably should get another preserves jar now that i think about it. Actually probably a few since they're pretty easy to make with all the coal I've mined up and they can work through the winter.

Actually, there is one situation I can think of where the mines are a big money maker now that I think about it. Red and especially purple mushrooms sell for a lot and you sometimes find a level that's teeming with them. Combine that with the foraging perk that gives you a chance for a double gather and that's a huge spike in income.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You're way ahead of me I think. I just entered fall and haven't expanded my house, and I'm only running 2 chickens. I have probably 60 tiles of crops but I hand water them because until very recently I had no iron.
    I think the main difference is I sell raw products. I haven't done any mayonaising or preserving.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You're way ahead of me I think. I just entered fall and haven't expanded my house, and I'm only running 2 chickens. I have probably 60 tiles of crops but I hand water them because until very recently I had no iron.
    I think the main difference is I sell raw products. I haven't done any mayonaising or preserving.

Mayo sells for double the base egg price and only takes a few hours to complete so it's very much worth doing. I have two devices for it so I can immediately start half my eggs in it first thing in the morning and then do the other half when I stop back at the farm later in the day. If it's a busy day, those two run overnight but either way they're ready for another day's worth of eggs in the morning.

A preserves jar doesn't use any minerals (but uses more stone, wood, and coal) and more than doubles the worth of whatever you put in. It takes over 3 days to finish though so you only use this for some of your crops or foraged fruits. Since the time is flat, the biggest benefit is to more expensive crops which usually are of the one harvest and done variety. Melons are wonderful for this, corn is not. The one starfruit seed i got made a ton of cash when i turned the one fruit into jam.

Since neither of these use iron, they're worth making while you're still in the first third of the mines along with Tappers when you have copper in excess of what you need to save up for tool upgrades.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    So I have found a magical fishing spot. Every fish you catch is 100% guaranteed to be gold star quality.
    GyRFR1Z.jpg

That's after only six-ish hours. Can't wait to come here during a rainy day/winter.

I think it more depends on your fishing skill and rod as well. I basically don't catch anything except for gold star fish at rank 8 fishing.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    I swear my animals are out to get me. My chickens only lay eggs every few days, despite being at full hearts and I just had a four day streak where my cows gave no milk.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I swear my animals are out to get me. My chickens only lay eggs every few days, despite being at full hearts and I just had a four day streak where my cows gave no milk.

Try reminding them that you can sell them for large profits now that they're at max hearts?

Steam Profile
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Mayo sells for double the base egg price and only takes a few hours to complete so it's very much worth doing. I have two devices for it so I can immediately start half my eggs in it first thing in the morning and then do the other half when I stop back at the farm later in the day. If it's a busy day, those two run overnight but either way they're ready for another day's worth of eggs in the morning.

A preserves jar doesn't use any minerals (but uses more stone, wood, and coal) and more than doubles the worth of whatever you put in. It takes over 3 days to finish though so you only use this for some of your crops or foraged fruits. Since the time is flat, the biggest benefit is to more expensive crops which usually are of the one harvest and done variety. Melons are wonderful for this, corn is not.

Mmmm corn jelly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I finally reached level 80 of the mines, which let me start gathering gold for the upgraded sprinklers in preparation for autumn

... and then died for the first time, at which point the game decided to retcon the last 12 levels and take away all the gold I had gathered.

It's probably no more than 10 minutes of work lost, but damn did that sting.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »
    I finally reached level 80 of the mines, which let me start gathering gold for the upgraded sprinklers in preparation for autumn

... and then died for the first time, at which point the game decided to retcon the last 12 levels and take away all the gold I had gathered.

It's probably no more than 10 minutes of work lost, but damn did that sting.

The monsters get a lot tougher from that point on and your defense don't really scale up. I went from often going 10 mine levels in one day to only doing 5 at a time there.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Dying in the mines takes away 6 items and you lose the last 10 levels, that's how it works.

• Options
    The one crafting recipe you learn way back at the start (using tree seeds) is a pretty great investment around that point. Really easy to make in bulk and heals a relatively solid amount of health and energy.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    also this got linked in the other thread, but:

stardew.info/planner

This is my farm:

https://stardew.info/planner/bafc1e5a-c8dc-4a65-bc34-c59b8ba7fd40/

I need to get more materials for sprinklers so I can widen the farm area more.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Dying in the mines takes away 6 items and you lose the last 10 levels, that's how it works.

Dying in the mines is an instant Alt F4.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    The one crafting recipe you learn way back at the start (using tree seeds) is a pretty great investment around that point. Really easy to make in bulk and heals a relatively solid amount of health and energy.

Unlike a lot of consumables, it doesn't require a house with a kitchen either (though it also does not make a good gift unlike most other food). I've started carrying a few around just in case. I probably should just make a chest by the dungeon to stow them in for runs.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Have you pet your animals?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »

Have you pet your animals?

Every day.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I've been wondering, if the input for processing things is silver or gold starred, is the output the same quality? For example, will a gold star strawberry make gold star strawberry jam?

• Options
    I've been wondering, if the input for processing things is silver or gold starred, is the output the same quality? For example, will a gold star strawberry make gold star strawberry jam?

There's not a clear consensus and I should really do some of my own testing. Some processing seems to only take the base price of an input into account. I THINK jam uses a multiplier on the actual sell value of a fruit so silver and gold yield better priced jam but the jam itself isn't starred. I have some saved up gold and silver spice berries and grapes I can test this on later.

Steam Profile
  • Options

I just saw a post on the reddit about this, so I'm gonna try it and see if it works. If anyone else is having this problem, give this a try!
    reddit wrote:
    Also, just in case: my animals were seriously underproducing for a while, and it turned out closing them in at night and not opening their door on rainy/snowy days fixed the problem. Possibly just one of those.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    I've been looking for some PC game I can sit down and relax with. I keep seeing this one pop up.

Is there any sort of multiplayer component, visiting other people's areas or something?

Are there any sales or anything? It's a little higher than I usually pay for Steam games, especially ones I don't know much about in an unfamiliar genre.

Games like this absolutely deserve your money. One dude working on it for 4 years and it comes out polished, fantastic, and exactly what fans of the genre have been wanting for years?

He could have charged $30 and I wouldn't have hesitated. $15 is a steal. You've probably spent more on a hamburger meal that was gone in 7 minutes.

It's easily much better quality than most Harvest Moon games I remember playing, while being a fraction of the price. If there is any game that deserves to be bought on steam at full price, it's Stardew Valley.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So for reference, is there a convenience tax on throwing stuff into the sell box rather than hauling it to an applicable store?

Also, PSA, the item(s) you drop if you die in the mines can include your weapon.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Also, PSA, the item(s) you drop if you die in the mines can include your weapon.

It happened to me before I finished the quest to enter adventure guild. Luckily, you can still use axe and pickaxe to kill slimes, but you only do 1-2HP per hit. Killing last 4 slimes for the quest took a long time....

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    So for reference, is there a convenience tax on throwing stuff into the sell box rather than hauling it to an applicable store?

No, you just don't get the money until the next day.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

No, you just don't get the money until the next day.

There's a list that tracks everything you've shipped, and probably an achievement for shipping one of everything too. And you only get credit if you use the box.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    How close together can I plant trees? Can the empty tiles around one tree be shared with another?

As in, can I take a 3x5 space and have two trees grow in it successfully?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Based on the absolute clusterfuck of trees you get if you ignore half of your farmland during the first three months, I'm gonna go with yes, but I don't know for certain.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I have only played, or bought, one Harvest Moon game. I only played it for a few days before getting bored. I am not usually a fan of open world or 'make your own fun' type games. I am not really sure I would enjoy the game. But I was considering trying it out. I would be more willing to give it a shot if it was cheaper. You might not hesitate at $30 or $15, but that's a bit too much for me to risk.

The last game I broke the limit and paid $15 for was Mercenary Kings. And that didn't end up well. And, on top of that, they gave it away for free a bit later.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Reynolds if you're looking for a game to sit down and relax with this is about as perfect as it can get

I mean I get what you're saying about make yoru own fun kind of games, I let myself be sucked into buying two Animal Crossing games and I regretted buying both of them.

While it is a do what you want game there are some clear overall goals (upgrade items, make all the monies, expand house, make friends, etc). Where the do what you want comes in is how you manage to accomplish any of those goals is up to you but pretty much whatever you do will work at a decent pace towards at least one of those goals (and usually multiple).

I've been playing it while chilling out and watching Netflix shows and it's been about perfect for that

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Do you have a controller? I've found it's easier to fish using that than a mouse. Also since I can't find a way to disable the force feedback on the controller, holding it it keeps it from buzzing annoyingly on my desk. I just switch over whenever I fish.

Oh my god, thank you. It is a lot easier, IMO. I went from only have caught one fish in all of spring and 90% of summer to three perfect catches (never letting it out of the target) in one day.

Weird, I found the exact opposite. I do pretty much everything but building and fishing with my controller

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Well... 28 day seasons caught me completely by surprise and in all honesty, it's my friggen fault for not double checking. Planted a huge ass crop that'll be set for Spring 30 and had the plan all ready. I'll have a huge bumper crop, re-do the farm configuration to a summer of crazy non-stop farming for that sweet sweet money and then with the crop that came in, have more than enough money to buy any amount of seeds I want, and probably more.

So yeah... day 29 never arrived. And that crop I was hoping on? It'll never eventuate and I ended up having to spend the first day of summer doing everything but getting the crops planted and watered on day 1. Thankfully I didn't bet the farm (ho ho) on that crop and had enough in reserve to buy a very sizeable seed haul.

I'm just at a loss for what to do at the moment. Summer is about to head into the latter half and I'm still struggling to make a decent amount of cash despite spending a good few hours every day doing the watering with a copper can and feeding the produce into a bank of pickling jars. Just unlocked the kegs so I may want to move into the distillery option but that is such a long term project with fruit trees taking an entire season to grow, so I'll be looking at Spring for that to happen. Maybe I'll cut back on crops and focus more on animals since they're less maintenance, or upgrade the watering can to steel/iron so I can get the watering done even quicker.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Speaking of fishing, I started up a new game to see the bachelor(ette) events I missed on my main file and ran into a hilarious bug. It rained literally every other day in Spring.

So I did a bit of fishing.
    r2uxMnp.jpg

Just a little bit.

Also got to Mine Level 40.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Did testing with a few different specimens and I think I can confirm that preserve jars and kegs do not take into account silver or gold star inputs unless they only do so for specific crops I haven't tested. They just spit something out based on the base value of the input item. That said, the multiplier they apply to the base value is much higher than what gold and silver stars do so it's still worth feeding them in unless you have an absurd amount of crops you can input.
    Takel wrote: »
    Well... 28 day seasons caught me completely by surprise and in all honesty, it's my friggen fault for not double checking. Planted a huge ass crop that'll be set for Spring 30 and had the plan all ready. I'll have a huge bumper crop, re-do the farm configuration to a summer of crazy non-stop farming for that sweet sweet money and then with the crop that came in, have more than enough money to buy any amount of seeds I want, and probably more.

So yeah... day 29 never arrived. And that crop I was hoping on? It'll never eventuate and I ended up having to spend the first day of summer doing everything but getting the crops planted and watered on day 1. Thankfully I didn't bet the farm (ho ho) on that crop and had enough in reserve to buy a very sizeable seed haul.

I'm just at a loss for what to do at the moment. Summer is about to head into the latter half and I'm still struggling to make a decent amount of cash despite spending a good few hours every day doing the watering with a copper can and feeding the produce into a bank of pickling jars. Just unlocked the kegs so I may want to move into the distillery option but that is such a long term project with fruit trees taking an entire season to grow, so I'll be looking at Spring for that to happen. Maybe I'll cut back on crops and focus more on animals since they're less maintenance, or upgrade the watering can to steel/iron so I can get the watering done even quicker.

Wheat grows in 4 days and costs like $10 a pop. Hops take 11 days but grow back each day. Both can be used with the keg to produce something you can sell for a huge profit. It's not just fruits and vegetables you can feed into that.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Did testing with a few different specimens and I think I can confirm that preserve jars and kegs do not take into account silver or gold star inputs unless they only do so for specific crops I haven't tested. They just spit something out based on the base value of the input item. That said, the multiplier they apply to the base value is much higher than what gold and silver stars do so it's still worth feeding them in unless you have an absurd amount of crops you can input.
    Takel wrote: »

Wheat grows in 4 days and costs like $10 a pop. Hops take 11 days but grow back each day. Both can be used with the keg to produce something you can sell for a huge profit. It's not just fruits and vegetables you can feed into that.

Hops grow back every day?

• Options
    So, fellow farmers that have made it to the bottom of the mines:
    Do we know what all the skull key is used for? Only thing I have discovered is that it lets you play one of the arcade machines at the saloon, but where I still have the journal entry about the key, either you need to beat progression mode on the game, or there's something else.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I just found out that that thing at the north end of the farm is a dog bowl, and you can fill it with your watering can. I guess my dog hasn't had anything to drink for 2 and a half months.

In the Harvest Moon games you could put food items in there too and it would increase your dog's happiness rating faster as well.