As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superheroes] Superman inadvertently snaps neck of Rotten Tomatoes score.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    ryven wrote: »
    he was also probably exaggerating a lot lol

For real

Is it not possible that Snyder was using a very basic example of typical super heroics to illustrate a point

I don't think BvS will literally suggest Superman was getting flack for saving cats

Yes and that point is dumb. That was my point.

Okay, what is it exactly do you think his point is?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    When someone has made 6 bad movies in a row, thinking the next one is going to be good isn't optimism its blind hope

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

For real

Is it not possible that Snyder was using a very basic example of typical super heroics to illustrate a point

I don't think BvS will literally suggest Superman was getting flack for saving cats

That every action Superman takes has dangerous consequences

Which is dumb

If you want to take a look at how super fights are dangerous and costly then sure that's a fine take

But Superman should absolutely be 100% guilt free and unconflicted about doing things like saving victims of natural disasters or stopping a bank robbery or saving a cat out of a tree

Not every heroic action needs to have THE UNSEEN COST

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »

For real

Which is dumb

If you want to take a look at how super fights are dangerous and costly then sure that's a fine take

But Superman should absolutely be 100% guilt free and unconflicted about doing things like saving victims of natural disasters or stopping a bank robbery or saving a cat out of a tree

he didn't even save his own father from a natural disaster, why should he bother saving anyone else from one.

GaryO on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Good week for comics

Standoff is shaping up to be a rad crossover, and the whole AVENGERS ARE CONFLICTED WITH EACH OTHER thing seems to be mostly marketing as the real standoff appears to be
    between the three Avengers teams, SHIELD and Zemo's army of pissed off, formerly brainwashed by SHIELD supervillains

Old Man Logan continues to be fantastic and is easily the best thing Lemire has done at Marvel yet. Super excited for his Moon Knight.

Black Widow was basically the cold open to the most brutal, awesome Bond movie I've never seen and I loved it to death. You can also really tell that Samnee is co-writing as that man knows how to make his art steal the show.

Oh and Uncanny Avengers continues to quietly be my favorite Avengers book. All 3 of them are great but Uncanny is just the perfect old school Avengers style adventures and I love it to death. It's also super inventive with the Marvel Universe.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

For real

Which is dumb

I laugh at his interpretation because its consistent.

I can believe of the unseen cost because i can see this Superman save people without considering all the options and consequences.

Because the man who raised him was the poorest, most disappointing Pa Kent to have ever existed.

John Schneider sure didnt agree with him and his reasoning behind it is pretty sound if you tihnk about it:
    “I love Kevin, and I love what Kevin does. But I didn’t care for one scene in there, where Jonathan was advising Clark to do something that was self-serving, it was tell a lie, I can’t remember exactly what it was. I think Jonathan Kent is the best dad perhaps ever depicted on television. And I don’t mean my work, I just mean the man I was fortunate enough to play. He was a great father, and I don’t think the one in Man of Steel was a great father. He had some flaws that don’t belong in a comic book. I really had wished that had been me.”

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Anyone else feel like all the Women lead books are all the raddest things at marvel right now?

Thor, Spider-gwen, Spider Woman, Silk, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl....

Now if only Sp//dr joined that line up

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

For real

Which is dumb

And the fact is that all of this stuff is better explored in, say, a Miracleman movie

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    When someone has made 6 bad movies in a row, thinking the next one is going to be good isn't optimism its blind hope

The only one I'd call straight-up bad is Sucker Punch. Everything else I've seen spanned the range between "it's...fine" and "I liked it".

For real

Which is dumb

When we find him, he’s been dealing with the everyday world of being a superhero, but there’s a paradigm shift happening in that the unintended consequences of some of those rescues are starting to come into fruition.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options

The only one I'd call straight-up bad is Sucker Punch. Everything else I've seen spanned the range between "it's...fine" and "I liked it".

You should go back and watch that Watchmen movie

It does not hold up for anything

I thought it was fine at the time but I hated just about every minute of it when I watched it again last year, with the sole exception of that intro and the Manhattan stuff, which is just lifted straight out of the books framing and edits and all

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

For real

Which is dumb

When we find him, he’s been dealing with the everyday world of being a superhero, but there’s a paradigm shift happening in that the unintended consequences of some of those rescues are starting to come into fruition.
    Yes except all of the examples he listed (saving people from a collapsing mine, church fires, etc.) are situations where Superman saving people is 100% the right thing to do

If you are telling a story about how Superman saved a bunch of people from a fire and how that was a mistake and he is having to pay for the consequences of his actions then that is a dumb story

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Olivaw wrote: »

I thought it was fine at the time but I hated just about every minute of it when I watched it again last year, with the sole exception of that intro and the Manhattan stuff, which is just lifted straight out of the books framing and edits and all

Even if I watched it again and ended up hating it this time around, that still only changes my record on unequivocally bad Snyder movies to 2 out of 6.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I know we have a lot of power rangers related bleed over with other threads (oh so many threads) but #1 of the new MMPR comic series came out and it's so good. It's a genuinely great comic so far, not just for nostalgia's sake.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

For real

Which is dumb

Yes except all of the examples he listed (saving people from a collapsing mine, church fires, etc.) are situations where Superman saving people is 100% the right thing to do

If you are telling a story about how Superman saved a bunch of people from a fire and how that was a mistake and he is having to pay for the consequences of his actions then that is a dumb story

It's probably more along the lines of an (ostensibly) American violation of airspace/borders etc. Like I doubt that someone like Putin would be particularly pleased by a super powered guy from Kansas making his fire and rescue/army guys look bad by saving a bunch of people before they could get there. He'd be out there pushing back and saying it was all some American imperialist plot and they probably attacked that power plant in the first place and it's all a coverup etc.

*edit*
    It doesn't change the fact that saving those people was the right thing to do, just that some countries or individuals are going to be annoyed by that.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    My favorite thing about Standoff so far is the reveal of who Sam Wilson's secret Snowden-esque informant, The Whisperer, is
    He's Rick Jones.

And Sam's reaction is "oh god dammit of course it is Rick Jones."

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I know we have a lot of power rangers related bleed over with other threads (oh so many threads) but #1 of the new MMPR comic series came out and it's so good. It's a genuinely great comic so far, not just for nostalgia's sake.

so its the original team?

• Options

Even if I watched it again and ended up hating it this time around, that still only changes my record on unequivocally bad Snyder movies to 2 out of 6.

You watched that owl movie? I don't think I know anyone who watched the owl movie

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Lorahalo wrote: »

so its the original team?

Yep! It's really quite odd, it's set right after Tommy, the green ranger, joined the team (like straight after, he's been with the team for a week or so at this point) except it's also set in current times rather than the 90s like the show was. The team has smartphones and stuff, it actually works rather well.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

For real

Which is dumb

Those examples were just to illustrate Superman being the Superman we all know. He was supporting the previous sentence with clear acts of heroism.

I think that when he says
    he's referring to the total of everything Superman's done in the two years before BvS, not to the examples he was using to support an entirely different point.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    i would argue that Man of Steel is an outright bad movie

and why shouldn't people be disappointed that they're taking the most cynical approach possible to a character that's usually about inspiring hope? this isn't just Snyder-bashing, it's a genuine reaction to something the man said regarding a character that has been around for 75 years

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

For real

Here's the thing, if we're wrong, and that isn't his point, fine, but that doesn't make it better. He's trying to express these ideas to people and if he fails at doing that then that's a problem because that's his job. That doesn't tell me that he's trying to get these things across to an unfriendly audience and we just aren't listening, that tells me that he has no clue how the audience will react or interpret what he puts out there and that's a really bad thing for a director.

If he can't even get his point across in print, how great is our expectation supposed to be for him to be able to do that successfully in the movie where there's more going on?

• Options

For real

Which is dumb

Those examples were just to illustrate Superman being the Superman we all know. He was supporting the previous sentence with clear acts of heroism.

I think that when he says
    he's referring to the total of everything Superman's done in the two years before BvS, not to the examples he was using to support an entirely different point.
    I mean

I am talking about hating the statement he gave, dude

I think the specific examples he listed, paired with the view that Superman's heroics should have an unforseen cost is a terrible interpretation of the character

If you don't think so and think there's more than what he said that's fine, but this isn't just blind hate of BvS, I am addressing what he straight up said in that quote and think it is some hot bullshit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Anyone else feel like all the Women lead books are all the raddest things at marvel right now?

Angela. Angela is the best thing Marvel is printing right now.
    *cough*

I am also loving all of the above, actually. Hellcat is really fun, Silk is great, Thor is great (Malekith is so much fun,) Ms Marvel is just amazing...

Squirrel Girl is a little too wacky for my personal tastes, but it's a good fun comic. The team kinda did their best work in the first few issues culminating in Galactus, I haven't been as big a fan of everything after.

A-Force is really fun, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur is amazing. Marvel just has a stellar lineup.

• Options
    Once I actually saw Man of Steel it angered me as a Superman fan

But I was wholly unprepared for how it frustrated me as a moviegoer

The product placement alone

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Once I actually saw Man of Steel it angered me as a Superman fan

But I was wholly unprepared for how it frustrated me as a moviegoer

The product placement alone

I at least got a chuckle out of one instance of it, when he swam ashore presumably in Nova Scotia

Alexander Keith's product placement was not something I expected to see in an overstuffed superhero blockbuster

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

*cough*

I am also loving all of the above, actually. Hellcat is really fun, Silk is great, Thor is great (Malekith is so much fun,) Ms Marvel is just amazing...

Squirrel Girl is a little too wacky for my personal tastes, but it's a good fun comic. The team kinda did their best work in the first few issues culminating in Galactus, I haven't been as big a fan of everything after.

A-Force is really fun, Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur is amazing. Marvel just has a stellar lineup.

Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman are also really good!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Do you guys think Snyder used those 6 axes to remove those 6 skulls from the people they were attached to?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

For real

Which is dumb

Yes
    Superman needs to be pure and without any irony
    NOr shitty "I read watchman, guys! Superheroes are messed up!"

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    My favorite books of the relaunch thus far are probably
    Captain Marvel
    Old Man Logan
    Power Man and Iron Fist
    Contest of Champions
    Sam Wilson: Captain America

I'm fully expecting Moon Knight and Black Panther to try and get in there and there are lots of other fantastic titles but man those books are great

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm kinda surprised Ultimates isn't on that list!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Standoff is getting super good. Hope the other titles can keep up the momentum.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I'm kinda surprised Ultimates isn't on that list!
    It is also an excellent book but CoC edges it out for me

It is the type of book I love (a bunch of weirdos and C-Listers thrown together against their will into chaos), brought back Ares whom I love and is Ewing just going totally crazy with the Marvel Multiverse

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Man of Steel, even removed from how it interprets Superman in a way I think is kind of deplorable, is a bad movie on its own merits. It spends half its running time talking about hope and all but explicitly saying SUPERMAN IS JESUS BASICALLY and then does absolutely nothing to justify all of it. The plot is muddled and scattershot. Nobody reacts to anything the way a human being would react. The action is, for the most part, nonsensical garbage. The tone veers all over the place. It's a mess, it's poorly written, and...you know what, fucking up the core idea of Superman is a legitimate complaint. Even if he didn't snap Zod's neck at the end, they would have already fucked that part up.

• Options
    What is Standoff?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Did not like Spider-Man at all. The whole issue is basically just meta-commentary on itself.

• Options
    What is Standoff?
    Avengers crossover that just started. 2 bookend Alpha and Omega issues and then individual storylines running through a handful of books all revolving around the central plot of
    SHIELD running an off the books prison for supervillains that are brainwashed into thinking they are regular citizens of a small American town

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about Standoff so far is the reveal of who Sam Wilson's secret Snowden-esque informant, The Whisperer, is
    He's Rick Jones.

Who?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    He's Rick Jones.

Who?
    The guy who inadvertently founded the Avengers and was a sidekick to Hulk, Captain America, The Avengers and Captain Marvel.

He has basically made a career of being a regular dude (outside of becoming A-Bomb for the past few years) who is constantly involved in superhero shit and has been for most of his adult life.

So when Sam finds out its him he is extremely not surprised.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    What is Standoff?
    Avengers crossover that just started. 2 bookend Alpha and Omega issues and then individual storylines running through a handful of books all revolving around the central plot of
    SHIELD running an off the books prison for supervillains that are brainwashed into thinking they are regular citizens of a small American town

Sounds interesting!

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

*cough*

Captain Marvel and Spider-Woman are also really good!

Oh yeah, I've really enjoyed both. Spider-Woman is consistently good, it's not super amazing but it's a lot of fun and the arc that just finished was bonkers. Captain Marvel is everything I wanted from the title.

This discussion has been closed.