As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Oh Shane and Emily will also be marriage candidates!

Sorry Clint.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear more content is coming! I fell off just after the first year ended, but I'll definitely be coming back for new stuff

And I'd probably buy some merch too, if I'm honest

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I bought this game a few days ago, and long story short I've already put way too much time into it. I'm about midway through Fall 1, with Copper Tools, a Large Coop, first house upgrade, and 60k banked (I heard Blueberries were where it's at and invested accordingly).

I realized last night that I didn't really do much planning before I started throwing things up on the farm, so I am thinking I'll spend Winter finishing the task of clearing the farm and setting up a new Coop and a Barn in better locations. I do have 2 questions:

1. How many spaces between trees are required? Is it 1 or 2?
    2. Is there any mechanical difference between the marriage candidates? Ex. does one gather milk and the other water crops?

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    1. For wild trees, just one. I found my fruit trees to be more finnicky so I planted them with two spaces between each.
    2. No.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    2 spaces between fruit trees. They each claim the 8 tiles surrounding them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

There can't be anything in those spaces. No path tiles, no crops, no rocks or branches. Keep them clean, I even cut the grass off of them.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

There can't be anything in those spaces. No path tiles, no crops, no rocks or branches. Keep them clean, I even cut the grass off of them.

You have to cut the grass off of them. I planted some trees on Day 1 of the month prior to when they produce fruit, and then grass secretly crept into the exclusion zone and I didn't notice for half of that month.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Make sure to also clear the space directly behind the tree. It can be hard to see but sometimes another wild seed starts sprouting and screws up your whole schedule.

Or just plant fruit trees in the greenhouse

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Ooo i want merch

• Options
    Is there not a way to make flour or sugar on your farm? The idea that I can build a machine to duplicate crystals but the concept of milling eludes me is... silly. Likewise, if I have honey I should really be able to substitute that for sugar, or heck just grow sugar cane since I can grow everything else.

I need inspiration for my farm. I think I will need a Year 2 design focused on Quality Sprinklers instead of the Iridium ones since I'm only 45 levels down the mine and haven't seen Iridium yet. But that means when I do get the best sprinklers I'll need to redesign again.

Do I need scarecrow coverage for fruit trees?

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Is there not a way to make flour or sugar on your farm? The idea that I can build a machine to duplicate crystals but the concept of milling eludes me is... silly. Likewise, if I have honey I should really be able to substitute that for sugar, or heck just grow sugar cane since I can grow everything else.

I need inspiration for my farm. I think I will need a Year 2 design focused on Quality Sprinklers instead of the Iridium ones since I'm only 45 levels down the mine and haven't seen Iridium yet. But that means when I do get the best sprinklers I'll need to redesign again.

Do I need scarecrow coverage for fruit trees?

To both of your questions, the answer is no. Quality sprinklers are the way and the light until you have easy access to iridium, which probably won't happen until the beginning of year 3 for most. I only switched from quality to iridium in my field at the beginning of year 4, after I had collected more than enough iridium sprinklers to set up my field the way I want.

Probably not a big spoiler, but I don't want to spoil one of the perks of finishing the mine:
    You won't have access to it until you reach the bottom of the mines, but the vendor in the sewers sells an iridium sprinkler every Friday for 10k gold.

Emporium on
  • Options
    CA mentioned adding more production/economy stuff in 1.1 so milling etc may show up. Also i want to be able to make mead out of honey.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's right, I forgot that this is a PC game and thus open to updates and additional content!

Also I will keep the sprinkler advice in mind. Does anyone have screencaps of their farm layout that look nice? I have no ability to design pretty things.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I never switched to Iridium. I generally make rows that are easier to harvest, even if they are less efficient. Time seems to be more valuable than money in Stardew.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Mine is largely utilitarian with the exception of my flower bed. Which I've got set up like this.
    1AFE8B08B33DC1685A5FC57915BD9739FAC58BEF
    That picture is actually old, because it's got the less valuable flowers directly N/S/E/W of the bee houses. The bees will use the closest flower to them to make their honey, so if you put the most valuable flower directly against the house they'll always use that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is there any reason to have a whole garden of flowers next to your bee houses? Aside from just having more flowers to sell, I guess.

• Options
    Nope. Just cause it kinda looked nice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, it also changes the type of honey you make to a floral honey. It doesn't sell for more or less though.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Well, it also changes the type of honey you make to a floral honey. It doesn't sell for more or less though.

I'm pretty sure it sells for more, actually. Wild honey sells for 100, but flower honey can sell for up to 680 for fairy rose honey.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

I'm pretty sure it sells for more, actually. Wild honey sells for 100, but flower honey can sell for up to 680 for fairy rose honey.

Ohho! I did not know that. Was that implemented in a later patch?

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I think we ran into a glitch.

We completed the craft room bundle and...
    the bridge was repaired overnight, the room transformed into it's fixed version, but the Junimos didn't put a star up on the board.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Well, it also changes the type of honey you make to a floral honey.
    Yes, but that only takes 1 flower within about 6 squares of the beehouse. The rest of the garden is just for show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was doing some math instead of working and it looks like fruit trees are only good as a long-term investment. Unless I process the fruit, I'm not in the black off the cost of the tree until midway through the second harvest season, so likely Year 3. That's kind of disappointing, but I guess it makes sense.

I suppose I could process the fruit but then I'm losing the opportunity cost from processing other goods in those machines, since I've only got a handful of them just now. I really need to spend this Winter building some Kegs.

• Options
    Made it to Summer 2 over the weekend, and now I build my blueberry empire. I've got 16 kegs and I think I'm going to use them for Pale Ale during the summer while I stockpile a few hundred blueberries for wine and jam on the off-season. I'm almost completely done with the bundles, just need some apples and a pomegranate, so that's Fall. Still don't know who to marry, both Haley and Leah are near 10 hearts.

Does the Greenhouse need to be told what season to be, or can I plant anything in there and have it all grow at once? I got a single Ancient Seed from my Seed Maker and I want to move to that long term but I also don't want my plants to die because I forgot to push a button somewhere.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Made it to Summer 2 over the weekend, and now I build my blueberry empire. I've got 16 kegs and I think I'm going to use them for Pale Ale during the summer while I stockpile a few hundred blueberries for wine and jam on the off-season. I'm almost completely done with the bundles, just need some apples and a pomegranate, so that's Fall. Still don't know who to marry, both Haley and Leah are near 10 hearts.

Does the Greenhouse need to be told what season to be, or can I plant anything in there and have it all grow at once? I got a single Ancient Seed from my Seed Maker and I want to move to that long term but I also don't want my plants to die because I forgot to push a button somewhere.

The greenhouse is all seasons at all times.

• Options

Huge fan of Hops in the Greenhouse given the speed/money ratio of Pale Ale and the fact they produce daily.

• Options
    How do I get my cow or goat to make baby cows or goats? It is unclear to me what the little udder icon means and if it should be crossed out or not. I assumed not, but I also had my cow for half a year with no results.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    You need two cows to make another cow.

As is the way of the world. Ignore the fact they both produce milk.

Enc on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    In winter, my daughter and I have been making a pretty good stipend from planting winter seeds. We sell any harvested plants with stars and turn the rest into more seeds. Figure we'll cut off planting on the 23rd. Every harvest gets us a couple grand.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The ladyfriend started up a second playthrough - as a "Jojacorp loyalist" named Chadrick

She has set forth some rules for herself

*Only eat food scavenged from trash cans, while people are watching
    *Give no gifts, ever, aside from broken Joja CDs
    *As soon as possible, chop down every wild plant on the farm
    *As soon as feasible, pave every non-crop tile on the farm
    *Only wear the Joja shirt
    *Sell everything, instantly. No quests, "unless they can offer more than market value"
    *No mining. It's dangerous and unprofitable
    *Leave the farm with empty pockets, no tools - spending on bigger backpacks is wasteful and cuts into profits

She managed to find a way to do a Renegade playthrough of a farming game, somehow

• Options
    She wants me to add that she has a cat, but will never pet it

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Sadly 'tis the way of some cats.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Wait, wait, I take it back. She's not doing a Renegade playthrough. She's somehow digitized Jake Gyllenhaal's character from Nightcrawler and given him a farm.

• Options
    Winter 2 really dragged me down now that I've got a bunch of Iridium and really no reason to keep exploring mines (well, still need to get the ultimate weapon, but whatever)

I received a letter from Lewis notifying me that he was my Secret Santa for the Feast of the Winterstar. Not exactly a well-kept secret there, I suppose.

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    I'm glad I've not done much with my close to end game farm

when 1.1 comes around, it'll fun to dive back into

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hell yeah 1.1 sounds great. Same with Starbound...but who know when thats happening

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    With Starbound they've straight-up said the next patch is 1.0. I would guess in the next couple months it'll be done.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    frikkin' jazzed about 1.1
    Moriveth wrote: »
    With Starbound they've straight-up said the next patch is 1.0. I would guess in the next couple months it'll be done.

Mollygos made it sound like it's a bit closer than two months

but maybe that's wishful thinking on my part

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.