As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing a computer

never dienever die Registered User regular
Hello everyone!

My gaming computer is getting to be seven years old now, and it's always had some problems. My friend and I built it in college, and it works mostly fine except for the occasional blue screen of death that it does, which has happened since I've built it. I've had multiple technical support groups look at it over the years and have replaced a lot of parts on it and it still does it so now I've decided to just replace the darn thing. This time I'm buying pre-made, to get the hope that it at least works correctly. The issue is I haven't delved into specific specs in quite a while, so I was wondering if I could have you guys judge a couple of computers for me that I'm interested in, and/or suggest a different one. These are the ones I've been drawn to so far:

http://www.frys.com/product/8512799?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

This is alienware so I know there is some name mark-up, but I also expect with that mark-up the product will at least work correctly.

Next:

http://www.frys.com/product/8506849?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The reviews I read for this one were pretty good, and from my experience Lenovo makes quality products. My fiance has had two lenovo laptops and one survived pickle juice, Ale 8 soda, and water poured over it and four years of use before she replaced it. The other one that she bought three years ago is still going strong as is her desktop. People seem to like it and its my favorite of the options so far.

the last of the three I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221131&ignorebbr=1

Reviews have been good on New Egg and Google so far for this one, and it seems to be a good deal, but I don't know to much about it, and I have a little bit of prejudice against Asus from the one time I bought one of their products.

Does anyone have any suggestions of the three, or any other suggestions for what I might look at? my budget is around $600-$1000 dollars. Some modularity is nice as I would like to upgrade them eventually but I would enjoy a nice solid base.

Thank you everyone for your time!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I know this might instantly get poo-pooed by some but...

What i did a few years ago was buy this. Mine was the 8700 model, (this is essentially the same but 8900 model) with the intention of buying a better video card. It's a big enough case to hold a larger card, its got good processor speed, good ram, big enough power supply for a better card.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/455466/XPS_8900_Desktop_Computer

However once I got it home, I found that even the chepo nvidia 730 that comes with it is a freaking powerhouse. I run Xcom2 at 1900x1200 with only an occasional stutter so if you put in a better video card I think it would do you pretty well. only 700 bucks too. I think i might actually buy another one soon to trick out and have my older one for other things.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So I'm clear, building isn't an option? You're paying a lot for not a whole lot with those builds.

That said, I can appreciate the piece of mind of wanting a configured system. Some sites let you pick parts and will then build the PC for you. That could also be an option for you.

• Options
    So I'm clear, building isn't an option? You're paying a lot for not a whole lot with those builds.

That said, I can appreciate the piece of mind of wanting a configured system. Some sites let you pick parts and will then build the PC for you. That could also be an option for you.

Yeah I'm not building it myself this time because last time I had nothing but problems with the last one. There was a part that does not work correctly and we could never figure out which part it was. I had four different people look at it and in the end just said forget it, hence a pre-built one.

Thanks for your help everyone!

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    TBH, with those form factors you've presented as options 1 and 3, you're not going to get a lot of modularity / upgradeability.

The Lenovo looks a little better with regards to future upgrades to the system as far as what you'll be able to work on, access, and replace, but the spec's looks pretty minimal for the cost. ALSO, I don't see any intake fans on that Lenovo, only a 90 mm exhaust fan, and the internals looks like a bog standard steel case with some fancy cladding on it. Like something you'd see out of the 90's....

All three computer specs look a little anemic for the money. Is there any way to push the budget even 10%? I just built a system on iBuyPower (link only goes to the base spec for the PC I built, can't link the final build) for about $1080 with a Corsair Carbide 100R mid-tower case, a liquid cooled Skylake i5 6600K CPU (the K version means overclockable, and is a free upgrade currently), a GTX 960 GPU, Corsair CX 500W power supply, 8 GB Adata RAM, 256 GB Adata SSD, and 2 TB HDD. This will beat the pants off those $800 builds. Losing the SSD (I don't recommend), will get you under the $1000 mark if need be.

You're going to have a MUCH better upgrade path with a case builder like Corsair or NZXT than with something proprietary, and a boutique builder like this will assemble and test it for you before it's shipped.

Food for thought.

Edit: Just saw that they are also offering free keyboard and mouse as well, if that floats your boat.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »
    TBH, with those form factors you've presented as options 1 and 3, you're not going to get a lot of modularity / upgradeability.

The Lenovo looks a little better with regards to future upgrades to the system as far as what you'll be able to work on, access, and replace, but the spec's looks pretty minimal for the cost. ALSO, I don't see any intake fans on that Lenovo, only a 90 mm exhaust fan, and the internals looks like a bog standard steel case with some fancy cladding on it. Like something you'd see out of the 90's....

All three computer specs look a little anemic for the money. Is there any way to push the budget even 10%? I just built a system on iBuyPower (link only goes to the base spec for the PC I built, can't link the final build) for about $1080 with a Corsair Carbide 100R mid-tower case, a liquid cooled Skylake i5 6600K CPU (the K version means overclockable, and is a free upgrade currently), a GTX 960 GPU, Corsair CX 500W power supply, 8 GB Adata RAM, 256 GB Adata SSD, and 2 TB HDD. This will beat the pants off those $800 builds. Losing the SSD (I don't recommend), will get you under the $1000 mark if need be.

You're going to have a MUCH better upgrade path with a case builder like Corsair or NZXT than with something proprietary, and a boutique builder like this will assemble and test it for you before it's shipped.

Food for thought.

Edit: Just saw that they are also offering free keyboard and mouse as well, if that floats your boat.

Your ipower option sounds good, I might be able to wiggle $80 more dollars on the high end. The big issue with expanding the budget right now is the other stuff I am doing this year; which is getting married and buying a house. I'm working with my extra money so I have to be careful. I'll definitely look t the ipower option.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Your ipower option sounds good, I might be able to wiggle $80 more dollars on the high end. The big issue with expanding the budget right now is the other stuff I am doing this year; which is getting married and buying a house. I'm working with my extra money so I have to be careful. I'll definitely look t the ipower option.

The faceless PC enthusiasts on the internet will ALWAYS find a reason push your budget no matter what it is... I mean ya man, budgets and stuff!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options

The faceless PC enthusiasts on the internet will ALWAYS find a reason push your budget no matter what it is... I mean ya man, budgets and stuff!

Lol. Yeah I'm working on a budget, and honestly with my ps4 my replacement just needs to be able to play games decently not to max specs. I mostly play Indy games on my computer now.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    All three of those builds are poor value for the cost. Full stop.

Of the three, the Lenovo looks like it at least comes in a somewhat spacious case so it might not be a total nightmare to work in if you want to replace or upgrade anything, but I would write Lenovo off completely after the multiple revelations about them baking spyware into their laptops in the past year, no way to be sure they don't do it on desktops as well.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Of the three, the Lenovo looks like it at least comes in a somewhat spacious case so it might not be a total nightmare to work in if you want to replace or upgrade anything, but I would write Lenovo off completely after the multiple revelations about them baking spyware into their laptops in the past year, no way to be sure they don't do it on desktops as well.

Okay that's food for thought. Did you build your own computer, or did you buy one pre-fab? If it was pre-fab, which brand was it?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The base model ibuypower Intel i56600k for 800 bucks is much better than anything you linked. It does not come with an OS.

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Intel-Z170-Core-i5-Configurator

Cabezone on
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your info everyone! Once I'm off work I'll look at both ipower suggestions. Any pre-fab comps people might recommend?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Okay that's food for thought. Did you build your own computer, or did you buy one pre-fab? If it was pre-fab, which brand was it?

I build my own.

• Options
    edited March 2016

Food for thought.

@BouwsT looking at your base build, and running off of information 6 years old, how well does that base build work? A GTX 750 seems to run fine, and honestly your base build seems fine to me. Some of your upgrades you listed above, I'm not sure what the difference would really be to me.

Edit: I get the SSD and HDD part, I'm just looking at all of these different options for a graphics card and some of the hard drives and having trouble making a decision on them.

Edit part dos: @Cabezone , I just realized the base that BouwsT posted is the same you posted. So you think just using the base one will be fine to run low-middle of the road games, with future customization options?

Edit tres: Last question, just so I know what to expect, this iBuypower option, does it come assembled together based on my specs, or do I need to assemble it myself once it arrives?

never die on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I've owned an iBuyPower machine before. I can attest they're pretty solid, I had no complaints save for that the power supply I got in mine was not what you'd call "top dollar" so it was an extra hassle when I wanted to upgrade the GPU

that said I ended up building a new rig ground up to replace it, so YMMV. for what I paid at the time ($700 in 2011) it ran Skyrim which is what it was intended to do.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    So having taken everyone's advice in hand from both threads, I've decided to use an iBuyPower system built for my specs. Thank you everyone so much for your help!

This thread can now be locked.

never die on