As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] punch your friend in the face if he spoils Civil War [NO SPOILERS]

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    What, do Keaton and RDJ not like each other or something?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Also it occurred to me this morning that having the spider man stuff back means there's an outside chance they do dark reign in MCU phase 3 or so, which made me happy

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    What, do Keaton and RDJ not like each other or something?

It's not that they don't like each other, it's that they both like money.

Lots and lots of money.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    And wab
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Spider-Man: homecoming cast
    Michael Keatons been cast in a 'villainous role ' with speculation it's the Vulture

Did this get confirmed? I remember reading that things had fallen through after it was announced that RDJ was making an appearance.

That was a while back.

Sony now seem to have found the money to pay for both. I imagine the good reaction to Tom Holland's Spiderman in Civil War helps.

They asked if he(Keaton) would like a chance to taste that sweet sweet billion dollar MCU pie. Sony got to taste it after so long.

• Options
    StempyStempy Registered User regular
    "Hey Michael, have you ever danced with the Daredevil or do you prefer Moonknight?"

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    If they do get Keaton I sure as heck hope they don't waste him on the Vulture.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Man, he's really getting typecast as people who are named for flying animals.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Man, he's really getting pigeonholed as people who are named for flying animals.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Homecoming
    I remember reading somewhere that when he left the movie originally they were trying to cast him as Osbourne

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    If they do get Keaton I sure as heck hope they don't waste him on the Vulture.

For real.

Unless they're just going to kill him and his pay stub off after 1 movie.

He'd be great at Osbourne.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Sure get him as Osborn, but I don't want to see a single goblin, Hob or otherwise for at least three films.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Obviously The Vulture should be played by Patrick Stewart

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I want them to keep Keaton around so we can inevitably see Grumpbowl between Pym and Osbourne trying to out-crotchety each other.

Even the chance that there might be a confrontation between Michael Douglas and Michael Keaton in an MCU film sometime in the future is a thing I was never expecting to happen.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, but all signs seem to point to Keaton as
    Vulture.

And honestly, after what Sony did with Norman and Harry, they probably need to go away for a while.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, but all signs seem to point to Keaton as
    Vulture.

And honestly, after what Sony did with Norman and Harry, they probably need to go away for a while.

Agreed, Sony needs to go away for a while.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm just amused that after Birdman, Keaton's going RIGHT back to superhero movies. I bet that'll piss of some Oscar voters.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm just amused that after Birdman, Keaton's going RIGHT back to superhero movies. I bet that'll piss of some Oscar voters.

Yeah. Another white super hero...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Yeah. Another white super hero...

Well, not exactly.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Ha, ha, ha, no.

http://uproxx.com/movies/shane-black-the-nice-guys-iron-man-3/
    Would you do another Iron Man? Downey seems to have changed his position and is open to another.

I think he wants Mel Gibson to direct it.

Really? Downey has been supportive of Gibson.

And for good reason. Mel was great to him. Mel’s been really nice to a lot of people, including me. I’ll go on record saying I don’t believe anyone should be held accountable in any way for something they say while they are drunk. It’s not who they are. I know this because I’ve said horrible things to people and made them feel bad. And it wasn’t who I was, I was just drunk. Mel’s a great guy and I understand his new directing project is actually quite interesting. So, whatever. If you say something sober it’s one thing. If you’re drunk, you’re going to deliberately be belligerent just to piss people off. You know the effect you’re having and you don’t care. Yeah, one of these days, maybe Downey will do another one. I’d love to work with Robert again.

He had said no to another Iron Man for a long time, but that’s changed.

He’s mellowed on that. But, once again, I just want to go on record, the guy who got me through that process and taught me the ways of the machine when I was trying desperately to control all the visual effects… Joss Whedon came to me and said, “Trust the machine. Kevin Feige is here to help you.” And I suddenly opened my ears to Kevin and I learned so much.

• Options
    Don't be that guy Shane. That guy sounds really dumb.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Considering that RDJ is rather publicly known for having complete mental breakdown and drug problems, I can totally see why RDJ would be supportive of Mel despite the drunken rant.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    That is understandable, but I don't think that Shane Black's excuse that you are not responsible for your drunk behaviour at all is defensible.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Considering that RDJ is rather publicly known for having complete mental breakdown and drug problems, I can totally see why RDJ would be supportive of Mel despite the drunken rant.

Sure, that's not a surprise (admirable even given his history with Gibson), but I still think it'd be a bad idea for Marvel to do. For obvious reasons.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I hated IM3, but Shane Black seems like an OK guy in that interview.

A little more interested in The Nice Guys now.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I say go for it with Gibson, the rumors about Jolie directing Captain Marvel seem laughable but hasn't gone anywhere and Gibson has actual directing skill, especially if they had the balls to do Demon In a Bottle it would make more sense with him and RDJ doing it.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I say go for it with Gibson, the rumors about Jolie directing Captain Marvel seem laughable but hasn't gone anywhere and Gibson has actual directing skill, especially if they had the balls to do Demon In a Bottle it would make more sense with him and RDJ doing it.

As talented as Gibson is, that's not the problem. He's a PR nightmare, allowing him near a family franchise or potentially tainting the MCU/Iron Man brand may not be the best idea. Why compare him to Jolie? What's she got in common with him?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    RDJ used to be a PR nightmare, but now he's box office gold.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    RDJ used to be a PR nightmare, but now he's box office gold.

RDJ was a saint compared to what Gibson did, they're not comparable.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was more his drug addiction that made him an untouchable, though. Once he kicks the habit he can say he's changed. With Gibson it's a bit different, as combined with his alcoholism you've also got several really racist rants he went on that are probably less easy to write off as 'the booze talking'.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    It was more his drug addiction that made him an untouchable, though. Once he kicks the habit he can say he's changed. With Gibson it's a bit different, as combined with his alcoholism you've also got several really racist rants he went on that are probably less easy to write off as 'the booze talking'.

Then there's beating up and threatening his girlfriend. The latter is on tape.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    That is understandable, but I don't think that Shane Black's excuse that you are not responsible for your drunk behaviour at all is defensible.

He specifically said what you say when you're drunk. You don't have to agree with him, but don't extend his statement beyond what he actually said to include other things.

• Options
    edited May 2016

As talented as Gibson is, that's not the problem. He's a PR nightmare, allowing him near a family franchise or potentially tainting the MCU/Iron Man brand may not be the best idea. Why compare him to Jolie? What's she got in common with him?

RDJ's contracts used to include the rider that part of his pay was withheld until the end of shooting because the producers thought he'd go off on a binge or run off from shooting. Mel Gibson personally paid the insurance wavers for RDJ when he was getting back into the industry.

Downey was a huge gamble because of his history, and it wasn't entirely clear that he was going to finish shooting Iron Man at that point given his past of falling off the wagon.

Ignoring his story and how unlikely his success was when talking about how Gibson would be a PR nightmare seems a bit disingenuous.
    Bogart wrote: »

You seem the be thinking that these things aren't related. Like somehow his drinking doesn't have an impact on his drunken behavior, or how his messed up mental state doesn't have an impact on his drinking. Addiction is usually a cycle of bad mental state/situation leading to addiction, leading to bad mental state/situation.
    Dude needs to get his life in order, and once that happens he should be clear to continue his life. We shouldn't kick addicts to the road and label them always as addicts because that's how you keep them addicted.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options

RDJ's contracts used to include the rider that part of his pay was withheld until the end of shooting because the producers thought he'd go off on a binge or run off from shooting. Mel Gibson personally paid the insurance wavers for RDJ when he was getting back into the industry.

Downey was a huge gamble because of his history, and it wasn't entirely clear that he was going to finish shooting Iron Man at that point given his past of falling off the wagon.

Ignoring his story and how unlikely his success was when talking about how Gibson would be a PR nightmare seems a bit disingenuous.

I know all about that. There's a massive gulf between being risk at falling off the wagon and what Mel being a nightmare for the press/public to talk about before the first scene starts shooting - and it'd be worse once the publicity tour gets going. Can you imagine the awkward questions Downey, Fiege etc re going to get with that? For a family film. That's under the best circumstances, too. That's why they're not equal risks. RDJ isn't a potential problem for tainting Disney or the MCU's brand.

• Options

I know all about that. There's a massive gulf between being risk at falling off the wagon and what Mel being a nightmare for the press/public to talk about before the first scene starts shooting - and it'd be worse once the publicity tour gets going. Can you imagine the awkward questions Downey, Fiege etc re going to get with that? For a family film. That's under the best circumstances, too. That's why they're not equal risks. RDJ isn't a potential problem for tainting Disney or the MCU's brand.

Yeah, they're going to say what they're saying right now.
    "You don't force people to be labeled by their addictions, you let them get back on the wagon", and when the movie succeeds the press will sell it as a redemption arc for Mel.

That's if it's brought up at all. There are many actors and directors that don't get dragged through the mud by their past public blow ups every time they appear.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    We all are aware that IM4 is probably never going to happen (less that 10% chance i'd say) and that even if it DID happen, there is an even smaller chance Gibson would direct it right?

Marvel is too far a long to continue to bet on Iron Man being its big money maker. They know they need to shift focus on other things/characters. They have a packed house for the next 4 years, and with Spider-Man being back home, and played by a much younger actor they'll pivot to that being the "main" focus after IW1 and 2 are done.
    There simply isnt a need for another Ironman movie.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I totally get why RDJ is willing to go to the mat for Gibson. I also think that sticking by the people who were there for you is an admirable quality. And that we as a society are getting less and less willing to give people honest second chances, and I really dislike that trajectory.

Admittedly, though, that the person getting the second chance in this case is a rich, straight, white, Christian man whose mistake was publicly punching down dampens my enthusiasm a bit.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I totally get why RDJ is willing to go to the mat for Gibson. I also think that sticking by the people who were there for you is an admirable quality. And that we as a society are getting less and less willing to give people honest second chances, and I really dislike that trajectory.

Admittedly, though, that the person getting the second chance in this case is a rich, straight, white, Christian man whose mistake was publicly punching down dampens my enthusiasm a bit.

I think the biggest issue with Gibson is that he did it multiple times. And that he was outwardly mean where as RDJ was just kind of a general fuck up.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I don't really see the point in being upset. It's not like anyone is required to agree with RDJ (or Shane Black). He can be as supportive and forgiving as he likes, and it needn't affect your opinion in the slightest.

I like RDJ, I can't stand Mel fucking Gibson and don't care if he never gets work again. I still like Tina Fey even though I wouldn't give a dime to a project with Tracy Morgan attached. It's not like these people have joined the KKK or something. They're just more forgiving than I am of people I happen to dislike.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Let us see if this thread can redeem itself after having fallen off the on-topic wagon.

See what I did there?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Character spoiler for Luke Cage

Undead Scottsman on