As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here a Kid, There a Kid, Everywhere there's a [Kids] Thread

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Look if you aren't watching the Zonugal livestream then you are missing out.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Eh, we've done the "facetime as baby monitor" thing a few times - it does ok. The real advantage of proper monitor setups is the nightvision and temp readouts to ensure everything looks good, as well as the option to pan around if your child enjoys constantly changing what part of the crib they like to sleep in.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oh god...

Oh god...

She's starting to laugh!

Apparently the trigger was me laughing like Ernie from Sesame Street. She has good taste.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    We're expecting our first kid in a couple of weeks. I finally got the nursery all ready to go and am absolutely terrified and excited in equal measures... In the best possible way.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That pretty much sums up parenthood.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Baby belly laughs are teh best!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Two and a half hours of trying to get baby to sleep.

'Maybe give her the fuzzy sheep?'

Baby is asleep five minutes later.

Parenting is all about trial and error.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We have our "Eleanor check engine list". Which goes through

Diaper
    Bottle
    Burp
    Shower (around 8pm)
    Mommy cuddles
    OK. Your just being cranky.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Oh god...

Oh god...

She's starting to laugh!

Apparently the trigger was me laughing like Ernie from Sesame Street. She has good taste.

The first time my son laughed was in his sleep. Picture a creepy chuckle coming from the bassinet at 2:45am. It's okay, Boy, I didn't really want to sleep right now anyway.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Oh god...

Oh god...

She's starting to laugh!

The first time my son laughed was in his sleep. Picture a creepy chuckle coming from the bassinet at 2:45am. It's okay, Boy, I didn't really want to sleep right now anyway.

My son did this once, he'd already been laughing so the laugh wasn't new, but doing it at 1am with literally no stimuli certainly was.

I still fear when I use the baby monitor I'm going to hear a voice that isn't my wife or mine saying something through it, god damn horror movies!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We finally fell asleep at ten. Woke up at 1230 cause we were stuck. Ate a full 150mls bottle. Resettled very shortly. Woke up again at 100. Wide awake. Have to sit up in mommy. Because we need to poop. Success.

It's now 3am. We might be getting tired again. Mommy has read me "Goodnight Moon" three times. We may be settling back down. Mommy hopes so. Mommy would like some more sleep.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We are building a house, which is wonderful, but boy do I wish all the decisions and paperwork were over the summer rather than during the tail end of the school year. Between my wife being a teacher, my son in 6th grade and band, and my niece being a sophomore in chorus we have done nothing but bounce from event to event while trying to figure out flooring and colors in between.

However, it is wonderful because my son gets a room bigger than a closet and when my niece is here weekends/vacations/family crisis she'll have a bedroom. They are both super excited.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Been home the last few weeks on maternity leave. Since it only pays 60 percent of my pay, the toddler has been home part-time. And holy shit is looking after both of them tiring. Doesn't help that the baby has colic, and will only nap while nursing. The toddler is so sweet on her brother, but is 2. Will not stop a fit if her brother starts to sympathetic cry, but will oddly hug him to try to help him feel better.
    I knew there was a reason I am not a stay at home mom.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Hello thread.

My 8 week old has, for the last week, decided that it would be great to wake every 2 hours or thereabouts overnight.He had been sleeping 4-5 hours 9-1 or 9-2, then another 3, reliably for a few weeks before this. I am displeased. He needs to get past this. My wife isn't coping getting up every 2 hours and I go back to work next week, including 24 hours shifts, and won't be able to help as much. I would settle for reverting to screaming between 7 and 9pm side to bring back the longer sleeps.

Doesn't help that we are with my father in law for a week in anther province, since I am working here for a month, and are badly missing our rocking chair, the house is way too nice to have a baby in and we are constantly worried about vomit or poop on all the very expensive things, and he and his partner have no clue about babies, our need to go to bed every night at our before 9, or anything else and seem to think we are just on vacation and want to show us off to their friends and have us entertain them. Eugh. They are really generous with money, but incredibly selfish in their personal actions and attitudes and I hate staying with them nearly every time we come.

Sigh. Can we skip to about 5 years old please?

Edit: I know this is not uncommon for his age, just frustrated with gong going backwards for a week, especially in such an unhelpful place. We move to my mother in law's next week for the month and that will be better. She actually remembers what it is like to have babies.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    8 weeks is right around the time for a growth spurt where the baby will want to feed more often. About all you can do is wait for it to pass. But it shouldn't be more than a week or so.

And there's gonna be more of them and then teething. So take the good weeks when you can but expect things to change.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Woo hoo! Imma nuncle!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've sprained my wrist or something similar so I'm basically down to one arm/hand

Dealing with a baby is now basically impossible. This is rubbish. I'd be a terrible one armed man

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    How old is the baby?

If it's young enough, you need to perfect the art of the slouch.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    My daughter texted me for the first time today.

Oh, God. It begins.

• Options
    I'm quite convinced that a land of toddlers without naps is a circle of hell.

"do you want to play?" *crying*

• Options
    ContinentalContinental Invisible Presence Melty Molten GalaxyRegistered User regular
    Even one Sleep-deprived toddler is hell in my opinion.

• Options
    Even one Sleep-deprived toddler is hell in my opinion.

Well, that's the point - 1 is bad enough, imagine a whole realm of them.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm picturing South Park Satan looking at the room saying "hey hey, that's a bit much, don't you think?"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Ugh fevers. 2 year old with 102 degree fever doesn't know why she can't touch her baby brother. Keeping them separated will be hard.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    BABY SMILES!

FB_IMG_1464528580820_zpsjhh9buyo.jpg

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    H-has it been 6 months already?

Everyone says she has the same smirk/smile I do.... I don't think I'm one tenth photogenic though

wd4mq0sm4bps.jpg

• Options
    oh my goodness what a cutie!

• Options
    Ollie went an hour and a half I think in the crib, which is pretty good, I want him to go in there, but at times the basinet is so much easier...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    we've gotten the crib fixed up.

just need to put it together. She just moves sooo much in her sleep that even though she still fits in the bassinet longways, she will end up sideways.

friends bought us the cd "the rabbit who wants to fall asleep" so far it seems to be working....

• Options
    we've gotten the crib fixed up.

just need to put it together. She just moves sooo much in her sleep that even though she still fits in the bassinet longways, she will end up sideways.

friends bought us the cd "the rabbit who wants to fall asleep" so far it seems to be working....

We got a stuffed animal that kind of hums and vibrates, it works pretty good, when he wants to sleep, between the lingering cold and I think he's growth spurting plus the new rice stuff in his formula he's been kind of a rough sleeper the last couple nights.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    First poop in the potty.

Why is my wife calling her mom?

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    First poop in the potty.

Why is my wife calling her mom?

Seriously. It's 2016. Just send a pic.

• Options
    I swear Ollie is going to walk before he ever crawls. His favorite thing is being picked up so he can kind of put his feet underneath him, he's not great at it, but can put decent weight before he loses it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I swear Ollie is going to walk before he ever crawls. His favorite thing is being picked up so he can kind of put his feet underneath him, he's not great at it, but can put decent weight before he loses it.

and i'm convinced Ellie will crawl before she rolls.

not that she needs any help getting across the room. little crab walker.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Ayla can finally crawl forward, though she looks like Spiderman doing it. She had been able to go backwards for well over a month now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Second day of cribbing it, Ollie fought it less but still fighting it. Still we are in this to win it and ultimately he'll lose because I'm an obstinate sum bitch!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    first day back at work went well. Baby slept pretty decently, only waking at 3 and I got up before his second rising at 6 anyway. Wife did well on her own and doesn't look too demoralised. It was really weird coming home to him after 8 weeks off. Going to take some adjustment.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »
    first day back at work went well. Baby slept pretty decently, only waking at 3 and I got up before his second rising at 6 anyway. Wife did well on her own and doesn't look too demoralised. It was really weird coming home to him after 8 weeks off. Going to take some adjustment.

Yeah that part was hard on me, if only because I was so used to seeing Ollie all day and sharing duties.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Little strawberry!

13237856_10156957668795472_9182940032278447668_n.jpg?oh=9dafe62d867508f1535e8666ba0f6758&oe=57D49E21

Unfortunately she's teething hard, which is making keeping her asleep all night a challenge.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    I haven't posted in a while so it seems kind of shitty to post here just to plug this, but my friend and I have started a podcast on parenting and fatherhood, amongst other pursuits, and we just launched it this week! There are 3 episodes up and we're releasing them every Sunday. It's called Two Sweary Dads and you can find it at http://twoswearydads.com or on iTunes.

In non self-centred advertising news, the girls are ten months this week, which is crazy. They're climbing all over things and starting to sign back at us when we do 'Food' or 'Finished' - I'd forgotten how cool it was when they start to understand and communicate like this. Imogen will often give a kiss when asked too (of course, a huge open mouthed baby slobber kiss, but cute all the same)

And Taz is toilet training! He hadn't shown interest in a while but he saw his cousin go to the potty and something seemed to click, and he's hardly worn diapers for the last two weeks while at home, with only a couple of minor pee-related accidents.

Here are the girls a month ago, looking very grown up :)

va9hwpxk01op.jpg