As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witch] A New England Folk Tale

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl3oa9Q2K1e-EIKDHiS1wWRVuCKTJJlkNuCwYQq8gsKYwhG5jA

This is a film debut by Robert Eggers(writing and directing), currently at 89% on Rotten Tomatoes.
In 1630 New England, panic and despair envelops a farmer (Ralph Ineson), his wife (Kate Dickie) and their children after being exiled from a Puritan village. With suspicion and paranoia mounting, twin siblings Mercy (Ellie Grainger) and Jonas (Lucas Dawson) suspect Thomasin of witchcraft, testing the clan's faith, loyalty and love to one another.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo2OTEbz-jU

But seriously, I wouldn't watch it until seeing the film. It spoils a lot.

I would enjoy discussing it, though.

Featuring the cuddliest goat ever!
Qaly3bU.jpg?1

So thoughts on the ending:
Some, including the Satanic church of all people, claim this is an awakening film in regards to witchcraft, and are celebrating it. I think it's a cautionary tale. I think you can clearly see Thomasin screaming in the last few seconds, realizing the hell she's damned herself to.

I wonder if anyone else shares that interpretation. Also, I think that throughout the film,
there isn't just one witch, but each of the three incidents are separate witches.

wVEsyIc.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    ...uh, did anyone here see it? :P

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    A number of people here have seen it, but we've mostly been discussing it in the movies thread.

As for your points:
    It looked to me like Thomasin was alternating between laughing and crying at the end. As for each incident being different witches, it's possible, but most of the other witches at the Sabbath looked to be younger then the hag we saw previously.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I will be seeing it in about a week. So hold onto your seat.

I tend to have strong feelings about anything involving witchcraft. So there is that to look forward to.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I find this type of film incredibly offensive. Same with garbage like 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose'.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    thoughts on what others have already commented on
    I thought the last shot was intentionally ambiguous, really like the idea of the three different witch incidents being three different witches (my friend that I saw it with was convinced there was only one from the scene with Caleb and the young witch, I was skeptical of this because there's something funny about the way that other hand comes in from out of the frame, but I couldn't put my finger on it...glad to see someone else bring this up). I wonder if it could be a play on the Maiden/Mother/Crone thing?

Did anyone else have a hard time understanding the language in the film? There were definitely parts where I felt like I had totally lost the thread (especially
    the father praying just before he dies
    ) but I wasn't sure if that was because of the language or the two people behind me that wouldn't shut up.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I thought the last shot was intentionally ambiguous, really like the idea of the three different witch incidents being three different witches (my friend that I saw it with was convinced there was only one from the scene with Caleb and the young witch, I was skeptical of this because there's something funny about the way that other hand comes in from out of the frame, but I couldn't put my finger on it...glad to see someone else bring this up). I wonder if it could be a play on the Maiden/Mother/Crone thing?
    Except what we see are crone/maid/crone. The witch that pulps the baby and the witch that appears in the goat shed both appear to be withered old hags, and the young witch that seduces Caleb is in the same hut as the first witch, and her withered arm grabbing his head is a pretty clear indication that this fair form is an illusion, a glamour meant to entrap Caleb. Likewise the hare seems to be the same witch. Shapeshifting into hares is a really, really old bit of witchcraft folklore, and it was commonly used by them to covertly sneak into farms and secretly steal milk from cows or goats. We see the hare out in the woods, where it fucks with Caleb and his dad, we see it again where it leads Caleb to the witch's den, and we see it a third time when Thomasin goes to investigate what's disturbing the goats. That last one is clearly foreshadowing, as something is bothering the goats, she investigates, just finds a creepy hare, then the next day the goats are giving blood instead of milk, and at the end she sees that it's the witch that's been stealing the milk.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    Thoughts:
    Really appreciated the lack of jump scares. I walked out of the theater feeling very unnerved and disturbed. The breast feeding crow scene was top notch horror. I thought every single actor really did a fantastic job, especially the child actors. Caleb's prayer and call to Jesus while he was dying was fucking spooky. The film did a decent job of hiding it's one million dollar budget.

I'm not quite convinced that Thomasin's arc would end with her willingly submitting her soul and becoming a witch. The ending seemed like a stretch to me, but it was thematically (fairy-tale logic) on point. 9 out of 10 witches brooms, well done thee!

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I find this type of film incredibly offensive. Same with garbage like 'The Exorcism of Emily Rose'.

Why?

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I didn't have a hard time with the language, I really enjoyed the dialogue in particular. Also,
    the mother's hallucination was sublime. Bone-chilling scene.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Why?

They lionize and perpetuate the idea that occultism is a real danger & that things like the Salem witch trials or the McMartin Preschool trial were totally legitimate & prudent state actions. I think it's disgusting to throw red meat to the crowd that believes in the palpable hazards of occultism / witchcraft.

To this day, echoes of that fundamentalist sentiment are still found in law enforcement circles in the American Bible Belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_T5EF-uzU

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    This law enforcement guide is fantastic, I'm loving the creepy synth music and awesome occult art.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I saw this.

It was well shot, well acted and pretty meticulously crafted.

But I didn't see the point.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I haven't seen it, but I assume it's a horror movie.

Usually the only point of a horror movie is to tell a scary story.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I read the entire plot to this and I can't see what would convince me to seek it out. It seems that there were some scenes that had interesting set pieces and creative imagery but aside from that everything seemed to be standard horror with an uninteresting twist.

did i miss something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

Why?

They lionize and perpetuate the idea that occultism is a real danger & that things like the Salem witch trials or the McMartin Preschool trial were totally legitimate & prudent state actions. I think it's disgusting to throw red meat to the crowd that believes in the palpable hazards of occultism / witchcraft.

To this day, echoes of that fundamentalist sentiment are still found in law enforcement circles in the American Bible Belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_T5EF-uzU

It's a work of horror fiction about evil witches that's entirely in old english.

I'm not sure it's going to help fundamentalist Christians mate.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »

It didn't do that.

But "a scary story" is not sufficient justification for a witch story. If you are going to use one of the most glaring examples of patriarchy and religious hysteria you have to say something meaningful.

It didn't say anything meaningful, it wasn't particularly scary. It just didn't do anything, really.

I guess what WAS nice was that it was pretty authentically Pentecostal and very much provided an accurate picture and counter point to modern, more mainstream Christian practice (though, they certainly still do practice Pentecostal Christian theology, perhaps not as extremely).

Do not recommend.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I saw this.

I saw it as a giant cautionary tale. Whether it's one about being too extreme on your religion or messing with things you shouldn't understand, take your pick.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It didn't do that.

But "a scary story" is not sufficient justification for a witch story. If you are going to use one of the most glaring examples of patriarchy and religious hysteria you have to say something meaningful.

It didn't say anything meaningful, it wasn't particularly scary. It just didn't do anything, really.

I guess what WAS nice was that it was pretty authentically Pentecostal and very much provided an accurate picture and counter point to modern, more mainstream Christian practice (though, they certainly still do practice Pentecostal Christian theology, perhaps not as extremely).

Do not recommend.

I wouldn't say that, would you switch places with the girl protagonist? She has a really shitty life in the movie
    so when she chooses the witches it feels like she made the right choice. She finally had power over her own life.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular

It didn't do that.

Do not recommend.

I wouldn't say that, would you switch places with the girl protagonist? She has a really shitty life in the movie
    so when she chooses the witches it feels like she made the right choice. She finally had power over her own life.

Assuming she really did
    choose the witches, and didn't - after losing her whole family and killing her mother - just pull a Sam Lowry and descend into quiet insanity.

• Options
    madparrot wrote: »

It didn't do that.

Do not recommend.

Assuming she really did
    choose the witches, and didn't - after losing her whole family and killing her mother - just pull a Sam Lowry and descend into quiet insanity.
    The last image of her face certainly did not depict her as happy. She looked like she was in agony.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

It didn't do that.

Do not recommend.

Whether I would switch places with someone isn't a message, and I don't agree with your assessment. The entire film seems more or less neutral on the events depicted. This was more or less "a week in the life of Puritan family, the puritans encounter a witch".

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I saw this.

I saw it as a giant cautionary tale. Whether it's one about being too extreme on your religion or messing with things you shouldn't understand, take your pick.

It doesn't succeed as either though - the religious narrative is ultimate justified
    Random accusations about Black Phillip out to be true. Thomasin, seemingly unjustly put upon is indeed subject to a sinful nature just as she was accused of and witches are indeed as randomly malicious as they are said to be.

The religious narrative is confirmed at every step.

There's nothing cautionary about Thomasin's decision to sign the book - the concerns about the final shot are drawing a very long bow, it is at worst ambiguous - absent sound (and even with sound, sometimes) it is hard to differentiate between pleasure and pain during coitus, between laugher and crying at times - but let's say we grant that it definitely shows her shift from joyous laughter to hysterical screaming and crying. What is it actually saying there? As a cautionary tale it is very weak tea with regard to showing the negative consequences of messing with things you do not understand, what really, can we draw from that? And compare it to the through line of the movie with regard to the religiousity - it spends a lot of time with that theme but ultimately says little - it is saying even less about "messing with things you don't understand" with far, far less. And, the final kicker is if it is indeed cautioning against messing with things you do not understand/making deals with he-goats it is another point confirming the religious narrative.

But as I said, it doesn't seem particularly interested in passing judgement on the religious notions or practice of those involved, so it is all the stranger.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    You know what's a good witch movie is ParaNorman. It manages to do the whole what-if-witches-were-real thing while acknowledging the reality that puritan witch hunters were not the good guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4cC3Q4dhNM

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Whether I would switch places with someone isn't a message, and I don't agree with your assessment.

The message very much is about the peoples lives, it's hard to miss. I'd hardly say it was wrong to conclude that the conditions the family was living under, even without the witch, was bullshit from many directions.
    And the eldest daughter get the worst of it from all sides.
    That you refuse to answer is answer enough that the film did it's job with its message.
    The entire film seems more or less neutral on the events depicted. This was more or less "a week in the life of Puritan family, the puritans encounter a witch".

No, it wasn't.
    Everyone hated being there, which was the father's fault. They had little to no food, isolated from other people, stress was amplified through various bad decision making - with a family who was on the edge to start with. The family was falling apart once they got there from the bad conditions, which were worse than average people in that time period - since being banished back then was essentially a death sentence.

Everything that happened was the result from the father's stubbornness and religious conviction. Which got his family killed and may have ended up turning his daughter into a witch. Oh, the irony.

Things got so bad they seriously considered selling off their daughter for extra food and supplies. The movie was filled with themes about the patriarchy and (fundamentalist) religion being bad for people. The with was only half the problem in the movie, the rest was the family, religion and society. It's difficult to miss unless you're deliberately not looking.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    What do I refuse to answer? I no more want to switch places with Jack Sparrow than I do Thomasin, but that doesn't a message make with regard to Pirates of the Carribean. I return to my previous statement whether I would switch places with someone doesn't make a message - that we might have preferences for those with whom we might or might not switch places doesn't create a message. That might be an element of a message but it is not sufficient on its own.

You are very obviously reading your own prejudices back into the movie in whatever the movie equivalent of Whig History is. Which has clarified for me what the film was - a rather faithful construction of the view of the world that Puritan Calvinists would have had - it is, after all right there in the subtitle "A New England Folktale". Which is intellectually interesting for how alien it is but not that interesting as a movie experience.
    Contra your reading, it isn't clear that there was anything attributed to the strong religious faith or failings of the patriarchy. It isn't even clear what they were banished for except that their townsfolk considered it to be that of prideful conceit and seemingly being more pious than their fellows. However, the more telling aspect is that nothing which happens has any causal connection to faith or gender. There is no dramatic irony or situations in which religious conviction or sexist expectation blinds them to what is going on.

Let's be clear - the witch/es torment of them is entirely incidental to the religiousity or patriarchy. They are chosen simply because they are nearby. If they had have been kicked off the plantation for being insufficiently pious and modern in their sensibilities they would be in the same predicament.

The torments are exactly what the settlers would find terrifying - despite being extraoridnarily zealous, they are preyed upon by he devil and his servants. But most the torments are quite prosaic, their corn is spoiled after being chewed by the witch/es, their traps are emptied, their goats produce blood instead of milk. Snatching the children and possessing/sickening them is rather more universally fear inducing.

I didn't find the prospect of their moving to send Thomasin to work elsewhere to be an issue - perhaps I am mistaken but sending one's daughters to work and serve another family seems the sort of thing I would expect to have happened in any case, even if they did think it regretful.

I disagree entirely that there is an irony in Thomasin becoming a witch. It is entirely consistent with a Calvinist TULIP perspective and with the view of women. Thomasin doesn't struggle against what she is left with, she hesitates for all of a few hours before joining the very dark forces that killed her loved ones for entirely shallow baubles - exactly in keeping with her mother's aspersions with regard to the silver cup.

There isn't any clear dramatic irony where it would clearly have fit. She doesn't try and survive in her own - it isn't a last resort, she doesn't challenge Black Phillip for his part in her newfound circumstances - say "what choice have I?". If you want to maintain that it is a more general social commentary then you have a lot of work to do to explain why it isn't there in the movie.

It has little to nothing to say about witches on top of what is there on face value and the ostensible view of the pilgrims. They sell their soul to the devil for promises of great things, but hang out in a hut in the middle of nowhere and do weird shit instead. It doesn't comment on the discrepancy, it doesn't show the absurdity of witch trials, it just exactly what it seems - a sober, neutral presentation of how puritans view the world.

• Options
    What do I refuse to answer? I no more want to switch places with Jack Sparrow than I do Thomasin, but that doesn't a message make with regard to Pirates of the Carribean. I return to my previous statement whether I would switch places with someone doesn't make a message - that we might have preferences for those with whom we might or might not switch places doesn't create a message. That might be an element of a message but it is not sufficient on its own.

You are very obviously reading your own prejudices back into the movie in whatever the movie equivalent of Whig History is. Which has clarified for me what the film was - a rather faithful construction of the view of the world that Puritan Calvinists would have had - it is, after all right there in the subtitle "A New England Folktale". Which is intellectually interesting for how alien it is but not that interesting as a movie experience.
    Contra your reading, it isn't clear that there was anything attributed to the strong religious faith or failings of the patriarchy. It isn't even clear what they were banished for except that their townsfolk considered it to be that of prideful conceit and seemingly being more pious than their fellows. However, the more telling aspect is that nothing which happens has any causal connection to faith or gender. There is no dramatic irony or situations in which religious conviction or sexist expectation blinds them to what is going on.

Let's be clear - the witch/es torment of them is entirely incidental to the religiousity or patriarchy. They are chosen simply because they are nearby. If they had have been kicked off the plantation for being insufficiently pious and modern in their sensibilities they would be in the same predicament.

The torments are exactly what the settlers would find terrifying - despite being extraoridnarily zealous, they are preyed upon by he devil and his servants. But most the torments are quite prosaic, their corn is spoiled after being chewed by the witch/es, their traps are emptied, their goats produce blood instead of milk. Snatching the children and possessing/sickening them is rather more universally fear inducing.

I didn't find the prospect of their moving to send Thomasin to work elsewhere to be an issue - perhaps I am mistaken but sending one's daughters to work and serve another family seems the sort of thing I would expect to have happened in any case, even if they did think it regretful.

I disagree entirely that there is an irony in Thomasin becoming a witch. It is entirely consistent with a Calvinist TULIP perspective and with the view of women. Thomasin doesn't struggle against what she is left with, she hesitates for all of a few hours before joining the very dark forces that killed her loved ones for entirely shallow baubles - exactly in keeping with her mother's aspersions with regard to the silver cup.

There isn't any clear dramatic irony where it would clearly have fit. She doesn't try and survive in her own - it isn't a last resort, she doesn't challenge Black Phillip for his part in her newfound circumstances - say "what choice have I?". If you want to maintain that it is a more general social commentary then you have a lot of work to do to explain why it isn't there in the movie.

It has little to nothing to say about witches on top of what is there on face value and the ostensible view of the pilgrims. They sell their soul to the devil for promises of great things, but hang out in a hut in the middle of nowhere and do weird shit instead. It doesn't comment on the discrepancy, it doesn't show the absurdity of witch trials, it just exactly what it seems - a sober, neutral presentation of how puritans view the world.

It's pretty safe to say
    Thomasin is a broken woman by that point, and it's questionable that her choice had any logic behind it at all. She was just like 'hell, why not'.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Just saw this. Loved it. Supremely creepy, good horror without jump scares. The acting was great and the set design awesome, as well as the costumes. The creeping, building, horror of being banished to the wilderness at the mercy of forces you don't understand. Your God refuses to help you. Your family is falling apart. the outcome sort of felt inevitable but I felt it was totally earned.

I would definitely recommend it.