As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Souls [Dark Souls 1 + 2][No DS3 Talk At All]

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    The Depths didn't really bother me that much; I let the creepy atmosphere and tight corridors spook me at first, but once I unlocked the shortcut, I realized how small the area actually was and that made it easy to master. It's just really, really good at psyching you out.

What comes after, however...

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yeah, depths is like a happy playground next to what's coming next.
    except for those basilisks, they're pretty sucky.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    When I started sunken king I was using a pew pew int build and the enemies just wrecked me, I switched to magic greatsword+10 and board and I am just destroying them now.

All that's left for me now in sunken king are two dlc end bosses.
    That dragon looks quite hard to beat.
    And I've been too lazy to do the 3 guys properly yet.

The dragon is not really a big problem. I had waaaaay more trouble reaching him (freaking Drakeblood knights, and above all fuck that Jester asshole) than I did actually fighting him.

I actually maxed my sunbro covenant there. I basically just camped there and beat him for people. He's really fun.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

Oh god. What, uh, what comes next?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

Oh god. What, uh, what comes next?

The killer of framerate known as "Blighttown".

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Ohhhhh... that place. I've heard stories. That is fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    But after you get used to the drop in framerate Blighttown is pretty okay, actually!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    But after you get used to the drop in framerate Blighttown is pretty okay, actually!

Don't listen to this man. There's a reason that "Fuck Blighttown" is a thing.

(Don't open this spoiler until you've made it to the first bonfire in Blighttown.)

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That was a good song!

But Blighttown isn't really that bad, you just need to 1. Bring your Spider Shield and 2. get good

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The trick to Blighttown is already knowing where the Spider Shield is.

GAME DESIGN

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    there's actually a spider shield on both ends of blighttown, isn't there? neat

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    there's actually a spider shield on both ends of blighttown, isn't there? neat

I only know how to suicide charge into the Valley of Drakes.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I just avoid Blighttown entirely with the Master Key because why the fuck would I go there more than once ever?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I just avoid Blighttown entirely with the Master Key because why the fuck would I go there more than once ever?

Sweet sweet cheevos?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Ash lake unsettles me.

I go there once a cycle to kill the Hydra and pick up the Spell and every time the entire trip makes me nervous it's the water and the music.

PvP In dark souls is still alive and well.
    12 Messages of pure cursing and hate from somebody because they invaded me at Sens while i was buying something from the Merchant they spent almost an hour trying to leap the gap to get to me only to get pegged mid jump by my Dragonslayer great bow land with no health heal up and repeat until they finally got bored and disconnected

• Options
    heenato wrote: »

Sweet sweet cheevos?

Steam achievements are the most worthless thing without at least some points attached to them or a platinum-equivalent trophy.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Blighttown I weirdly enjoy despite all the fall hazards. It's still can be damn hard (went through on both my 2h and sorc fairly recently) but man it feels good reaching the end--to a big, fuck-off poison swamp. :rotate:

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Fume Knight is really hard. I went to look up tips for fighting him and all I got was the wiki telling me he has the highest failure rate in the game.

I'm sure I'll feel great when I beat him, but I'm not enjoying the experience.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    Corsini wrote: »
    Fume Knight is really hard. I went to look up tips for fighting him and all I got was the wiki telling me he has the highest failure rate in the game.

The best tip I can give is: If you're using a shield, ditch it. Get your roll game up. rolling to the left is better than the right.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    1. Power Within
    2. The ninja suit
    3. The iaito

There is some worthwhile treasure in blighttown. The place is not so bad once you know where the blowdart guys are.

hacksword on
  • Options
    It also helps that the Blowdart guys don't respawn.

It's also a fairly annoying sequence breaking you can do with the Master key
    So from the start of the game if you have the master key you have quick access to 3 firekeeper souls which is a significant help one in the Blowdart/fire rat area of blight town near where you pick up the Red robes , One in Londo ruins guarded by the Ghosts that you can just grab and suicide , and the one at the Alter in the undead parish now if you collect all 3 of these even if you don't release Laurtec from his prison he will ninja escape and kill your firekeeper cutting off the Firelink bonfire for a fairly long period

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Okay, let's see, Oolaciel, stone giants, hmm, tracking overheads eh?

Ah, that's what they meant.

• Options
    Productive evening in Dark Souls 2. Tried some of Sunken King and promptly got dead-ended twice with no way out except suicide or Homeward Bone. So I went to Drangleic Castle and cleared it, both bosses, Shrine, Demon of Song, and about 3/4 of the Undead Crypt. Once I have the King's Ring I'll go back to Sunken King with a brand new Crypt Blacksword to smash those knights with.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »

Secret tip for fighting Fume Knight:
    Wearing Velstadt's Helm will make him enter his second phase immediately.

It's slightly easier, and you only have to learn one moveset, and you don't have to get him to half health to practice against it.

broken image link
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Interesting. Is there a story-link between Fume Knight and Velstadt?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Interesting. Is there a story-link between Fume Knight and Velstadt?
    There is, actually. I cant remember what it is off the top of my head, but fume knight HATED Vestaldt.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Vestaldt kicked his ass back in the day.

• Options
    Blighttown might be unnecessary for further playthroughs.
    but for firsttimers it's the single most important rite of passage.
    And honestly, I can't really see how a firsttimer playing blindly would really make a different route other than (upper bell) > lower undead burg > depths > Blighttown. In order to go through new londo (which is a hell lot harder than that route) You have to kill the red robe dude, drain the water, fight the evil dudes in black, then kill the Drakes. Those are a hell lot harder, and you'd have to know that the red nice NPC has the key to move forward.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The Fume Knight was one of Vendrick's bodyguards but he turned against him, got his ass kicked by Velstadt, then ran off to Brume and fell in love with Nadalia, becoming her protector.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    And honestly, I can't really see how a firsttimer playing blindly would really make a different route other than (upper bell) > lower undead burg > depths > Blighttown. In order to go through new londo (which is a hell lot harder than that route) You have to kill the red robe dude, drain the water, fight the evil dudes in black, then kill the Drakes. Those are a hell lot harder, and you'd have to know that the red nice NPC has the key to move forward.

Couldn't someone go (upper bell) > Dark Root > Take a right turn > Valley of Drakes > Blighttown pretty easily?

and that involves running past/killing 2 Drakes.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options

Couldn't someone go (upper bell) > Dark Root > Take a right turn > Valley of Drakes > Blighttown pretty easily?

and that involves running past/killing 2 Drakes.

The door that takes you to the depths isn't the easiest to find. You have to remember that you passed a locked door just in front of the Drake bridge, then decide to go back and check it out instead of heading to this forest that seems like the natural next place to go. I can easily see a new player who is going in blind doing this progression here, yeah.

• Options
    I played Dark souls since it's release my main character is almost capped just from the number of new game cycles i have run through.

And only just recently have i discovered the bonfire on top of the elevator in the valley of drakes that connects to the darkroot basin.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Friend of mine is playing Dark Souls for the first time. He completely missed the door to the Depths and found Valley of Drakes/Blight Town first.

• Options
    Don't you need the key in the valley to open the door between the drakes and darkroot, though?

Also, you still go usually through (upper bell) first. Is there any noob who goes to Blighttown first?

Oh, I just remember you need to ring the bell in Quelaag's, so you MUST go to BT at some point, no matter the route.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Don't you need the key in the valley to open the door between the drakes and darkroot, though?

You need a key to connect New Londo with Valley of Drakes, but you can immediately go Undead Parish > Darkroot Forest > Darkroot Basin Path (with BKH Knight) > Bonfire Cave to Valley of Drakes > Water Wheel Entrance of Blighttown.

That's how I ended up in Blighttown before visiting the Depths.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Blight town didn't bother me at all.
    I was co-opping with someone who told me to bring a Spider Shield and showed me how to get the three fatties in the beginning to run off of the bridge to their doom.

Also I had a ton of purple moss from consistently getting my shit rocked in the forest.

I still managed to fall off of the waterwheel like a dork two or three times though.

• Options
    Pretty proud of the fact I did Dark Souls 1 blind. The only think I looked up was how to upgrade weapons and such. Every boss I defeated from scratch.

The closest I got to giving up was Anor Londo, I felt like such a genius when I figured out how to cross the chasm on the tower buttresses.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I've spent so much time with dex and sorc/hex builds and whatnot that I forgot how powerful a str+heavy armor build was. I'm keeping my equip load under 50% and also putting points into faith for heals and lightning damage, but even then i'm just annihilating everything. I've done Executioner's Chariot all the way up to where I currently am just past the Smelter Demon without dying. Usually there's a couple of fuckups here and there along the way but not so far.

Aistan on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I miss vanilla DS2 miracle damage.

Because lordy did that ruin everything's day.

I consider it payment for playing a miracle based character my first time through Dark Souls.

Ornstein and Smough took me the better part of a week because all my gear was lightning based.

• Options
    More Dark Souls 2 tonight.

- Finished Undead Crypt. Velstadt was being a bit of an ass when it came to being killed by me and my rapiers. Ghosts can suck it and also the undead who ring the damn bells.
    - Got invaded in Aldia's Keep by a very odd player. He pointed me around to some places so I would open up a large room with no one in it to serve as an arena. Then we dueled and I wiped the floor with him.
    - Got to Dragon Aerie and promptly noped out of there for now to go get some souls via
    - Killing the Undead Chariot I had completely bypassed because my first run this boss killed me more than any other.
    - Also went to go smack Throne Defender and Watcher around because they're easy souls
    - Then I chose to go to Sunken King and actually the area is not all that big once you really get down to it. Also ghost knights can't climb so I lured them off the walkway and broke their real bodies at my leisure.
    - Got Flynn's Ring and a bunch of other stuff.

Productive evening again. Tomorrow I enter the big shrine in Sunken King.