As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Souls [Dark Souls 1 + 2][No DS3 Talk At All]

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Vaati does a bunch of great DS1 lore videos as well. His Prepare to Cry series is the best. Especially Solaire's. It's like 90% canon stuff and a little bit of speculation.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    If that doesn't cut it this video and part two will give some more in-depth analysis/wild speculation.

Still, that summary video is actually pretty good and very funny. :lol:

Karoz on
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Dang... why? Solaire is nowhere now :( I saved him and saw him be the sad. Now I'm sad :?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Dang... why? Solaire is nowhere now :( I saved him and saw him be the sad. Now I'm sad :?
    Summon sign is at the top of the stairs from Gwyn.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Yeah... the sign is nowhere in the area. Oh well... Gwyn hits like a tank!! but I got him.... I got him :biggrin:

• Options

Yeah... the sign is nowhere in the area. Oh well... Gwyn hits like a tank!! but I got him.... I got him :biggrin:

Did you find him in the secret tunnel after the centipede boss? If not, and if you didn't exhaust his dialogue there, then his sign doesn't appear in the First Fire area.

• Options

Did you find him in the secret tunnel after the centipede boss? If not, and if you didn't exhaust his dialogue there, then his sign doesn't appear in the First Fire area.

Yes I did. I talked to him multiple times to make sure I got all his dialogue, but I guess my playthrough had a small glitch somewhere. The wiki mentions that even if you do everything correctly with Solaire that he might still not show up :(

• Options

Yes I did. I talked to him multiple times to make sure I got all his dialogue, but I guess my playthrough had a small glitch somewhere. The wiki mentions that even if you do everything correctly with Solaire that he might still not show up :(

That is indeed sad. I'm glad he was able to join me for the final battle; it felt . . . right.

• Options
    never-ending-reignnever-ending-reign Polish Catholic entering a world of painRegistered User regular
    Taking Solaire in to fight Gwyn is so damn poetic. When you find out the deep lore and how Solaire and Gwyn and Gwynevere and Gwyndolin and all their different stories fit in, bringing Solaire becomes just so fitting.

• Options
    ProudestMonkeeyProudestMonkeey Registered User regular
    Taking Solaire in to fight Gwyn is so damn poetic. When you find out the deep lore and how Solaire and Gwyn and Gwynevere and Gwyndolin and all their different stories fit in, bringing Solaire becomes just so fitting.

That is something i would have loved to experience. I'm kinda tempted to start a new game just to do so.

You can call me Dances with Wolves.
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

I never understood the memetic status of Solaire, he says and does very little throughout the game. He only appears about three times and never did anything memorable enough for me to care much about him, or consider him an important side character.

As far as the poetic nature of the fight, or the lore and his relationship to the gods:
    He is not the firstborn son of Gwynn. It was a popular theory for a long time, but now known to not be the case. He has no relation to Gwynevere and Gwyndolin. At best, there is some poetics in his quest for his own sun leading them to fight what is essentially the sun god. But in the end, he's just one more fool on an obsessive quest.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »

I never understood the memetic status of Solaire, he says and does very little throughout the game. He only appears about three times and never did anything memorable enough for me to care much about him, or consider him an important side character.

As far as the poetic nature of the fight, or the lore and his relationship to the gods:
    He is not the firstborn son of Gwynn. It was a popular theory for a long time, but now known to not be the case. He has no relation to Gwynevere and Gwyndolin. At best, there is some poetics in his quest for his own sun leading them to fight what is essentially the sun god. But in the end, he's just one more fool on an obsessive quest.
    It is mostly because he's one of the few NPCs in the game that is just 100% helpful and happy the entire game. He only has one moment of sadness, and then almost immediately knocks himself out of it and continues on, and eventually DOES complete his goal. He's the first NPC you meet that isn't depressed as hell and telling you everything you're doing is bullshit, you should just sit here on this rock and wait for death.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Solaire just created a bunch of Dark Souls memes. Praise the Sun, Glorious Incandescence, saying Sunbro, etc.

To me Solaire is cool because DS has such an oppressive and isolated world in general, that when you meet a homie that's on the same quest as you in his own world and you can be friends, it's fun.

• Options
    heenato wrote: »

It is mostly because he's one of the few NPCs in the game that is just 100% helpful and happy the entire game. He only has one moment of sadness, and then almost immediately knocks himself out of it and continues on, and eventually DOES complete his goal. He's the first NPC you meet that isn't depressed as hell and telling you everything you're doing is bullshit, you should just sit here on this rock and wait for death.

He's upbeat sure, but it seems as a result of some slight insanity. He didn't seem unusually helpful, he gives you one item (a pretty decent one, but something that could have easily been sold by a merchant). You can summon him a couple of times, but that doesn't feel like a part of his character; summoned NPC's are mute. Lautrec can also be summoned a couple of times and that guys an asshole. On the other hand Siegmeyer gives you a couple of items in his quest, is pretty upbeat the whole time, and risks his life to buy you an escape. The pyromancer of the swamp is generally upbeat and gives you a part of himself.

I have nothing against those who do care about him, I just missed out on it. He was the only character I knew about before playing the game, so when we got to him I told my gf "Oh, I've heard of this guy. He's going to be a big deal". And then it never materialized. We barely saw him again and when it came time to save him, it was an act of apathetic intervention rather than one of any real concern for the guy.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Super Best Friends had a pretty great description of him. Went something like
    If you read his item descriptions, those sun emblems aren't special symbols or wards or anything. His gear is just normal gear, he painted the emblems on himself, because Solaire is just kind of a huge dork. And then later you're in hell, and you fight your way past a bunch of huge demons and reach this big lake of lava, and he already got there before you.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Solaire is sincere and jolly, a stalwart ally and friend, in a place filled with things that want to consume your essence for themselves.

Of course people are gonna like him.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Solaire is a boss because he's the closest thing to having a friend you get in ds1. He's summonable for some of the most memorable boss fights, helping you through the hard times, and its been confirmed that if you save him, he completes his quest and links the flame in his world.

• Options
    I found both Solaire and Sigmeyer equally jolly and helpful in different areas of the game. They are bright spots in rather dim worlds.
    But if we're looking at what happens at the end of each NPC quest, only Solaire is able to do what the player does (with your help). Spoilers, the end of pretty much every other NPC quest is they die or go hollow and you have to kill them.

• Options
    I found both Solaire and Sigmeyer equally jolly and helpful in different areas of the game. They are bright spots in rather dim worlds.
    But if we're looking at what happens at the end of each NPC quest, only Solaire is able to do what the player does (with your help). Spoilers, the end of pretty much every other NPC quest is they die or go hollow and you have to kill them.
    I guess part of the issue for me is the nature of his quest. It's vague during the game, likely ends in his (further) insanity, or peters out. If we take him linking the fire as the end of his quest, not only does it not happen in game, but I don't feel it's a great ending. To me, linking the fire is a scam; he and the player are duped. It's a lot of work to eventually just incinerate yourself and delay the inevitable. It's the feeding of a lot of souls and humanity to extend the power of someone else and perpetuate the undead curse, until the next dupe links the fire. That's the glory he fought for? For me, Solaire is an accomplished and upbeat fool, but a fool all the same.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Solaire picked up a tunic with a sun on it and painted a somewhat frowny face on it and said

Yes

this is my sigil

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I guess part of the issue for me is the nature of his quest. It's vague during the game, likely ends in his (further) insanity, or peters out. If we take him linking the fire as the end of his quest, not only does it not happen in game, but I don't feel it's a great ending. To me, linking the fire is a scam; he and the player are duped. It's a lot of work to eventually just incinerate yourself and delay the inevitable. It's the feeding of a lot of souls and humanity to extend the power of someone else and perpetuate the undead curse, until the next dupe links the fire. That's the glory he fought for? For me, Solaire is an accomplished and upbeat fool, but a fool all the same.
    Who are you extending the power of? Gwyn was basically dead long before you entered the boss fight, Gwyndolin is hidden away trying to make things slightly less worse, and every other god has fled from the world. You link the fire to keep the dark from swallowing everything in the same way it did Oolacile. Giving people a few more generations to live their lives.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Well, I get that you don't get Solaire, but I don't think you're gonna convince us he's not fucking awesome to the max. He organically became a huge thing for a billion people.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Well, I get that you don't get Solaire, but I don't think you're gonna convince us he's not fucking awesome to the max. He organically became a huge thing for a billion people.

Agreed, he's well loved! It puzzles me, but is undeniable.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    Solaire is the first unambiguously friendly and helpful person you meet, and it's right after the newbie gauntlet of the first part of the Undead Burg.

It's not surprising people got attached.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Solaire is sincere and jolly, a stalwart ally and friend, in a place filled with things that want to consume your essence for themselves.

Siglinde is great too, because she's the only warrior you meet who is NOT a Hollow. She made it to the Duke's archives in a death world WITHOUT dying. And hey, she's really nice too.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Siglinde is great too, because she's the only warrior you meet who is NOT a Hollow. She made it to the Duke's archives in a death world WITHOUT dying. And hey, she's really nice too.

Um, about that...
    You initially find her being carried by a crystal golem. Who Seath and his channelers would send out to capture maidens for use in experiments, like the ones that created the Picassas. Who knows where the golem picked her up at before you came along and freed her?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there a video like the one posted above that gives a summary of Bloodborne?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

Um, about that...
    You initially find her being carried by a crystal golem. Who Seath and his channelers would send out to capture maidens for use in experiments, like the ones that created the Picassas. Who knows where the golem picked her up at before you came along and freed her?

Since she hadn't been experimented on and transformed into a hideous mutant, I would assume you just blundered into her soon after her capture.

• Options
    Either way, she made it from there to Ash Lake without dying which is in the same tier of impressiveness.

• Options
    ProudestMonkeeyProudestMonkeey Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Either way, she made it from there to Ash Lake without dying which is in the same tier of impressiveness.

That alone is enough proof for how badass she is.

You can call me Dances with Wolves.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there a video like the one posted above that gives a summary of Bloodborne?

Yeah another one from Vaati that I'll link when I am not posting on a phone.

Edit: Here you go.

Karoz on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I want some advice: I haven't played the Dark Souls 2 DLC. I have the game for the XBOX 360 and the pack is $15 this week. However, I could also wait for a Steam sale and get it all there this summer ... or maybe it won't be on sale. What should I do? Buy the inferior but completely playable version's DLC for XBOX or wait on a possible ~$20 Dark Souls 2 in two months?

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I want some advice: I haven't played the Dark Souls 2 DLC. I have the game for the XBOX 360 and the pack is $15 this week. However, I could also wait for a Steam sale and get it all there this summer ... or maybe it won't be on sale. What should I do? Buy the inferior but completely playable version's DLC for XBOX or wait on a possible ~$20 Dark Souls 2 in two months?

If we're talking Scholar of the First Sin edition, last time it went on sale it hit about 20 bucks, which is why I bought it then. I'd personally wait to get the SotFS edition, as it seems to more or less be their definitive edition of the game, integrating more fully the story of the DLC and the main game to create a more solid narrative (or as solid as Dark Souls can be expected to have).

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It'll be on sale. There's no way it won't be.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Scholar of the First Sin is currently half price at Gamesplanet UK, which is about $22.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ they weren't messing around when it comes to NG+! It's just enemies everywhere! And what is up with all the Red Phantoms?

I really thought I would just be plowing through everything, but nope. I still gotta take my time and play all cautious like.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Glal on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Got around to Drangleic Castle on NG+
    FROM isn't as evil as I thought (so far). I was so expecting more statues to come alive than the 1st time, especially that hallway leading up to the first bonfire or those stairs up to from the ruin sentinel room.

And it would have been even more evil to have just 1 statue that came alive in NG, not coming alive in NG+.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Got around to Drangleic Castle on NG+
    FROM isn't as evil as I thought (so far). I was so expecting more statues to come alive than the 1st time, especially that hallway leading up to the first bonfire or those stairs up to from the ruin sentinel room.

And it would have been even more evil to have just 1 statue that came alive in NG, not coming alive in NG+.

If you think FROM isn't evil, go check out the throne room while you're there.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro