As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] Chapter 2

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    He mentioned "my dad" in the trailer.

I assume his dad is MacGyver.

Dude whose last name is MacGyver might have a MacGyver for a dad? Yeah, probably.

I never liked the convention of calling a person nearly exclusively by their last name. Do people actually do this? I've never done so nor seen it happen myself. I certainly would correct someone if they tried it on me. Castle is a prime recent example, to the point I can't even remember what his actual first name is.

Yes. Especially in areas where your job title (military rank, professional accredidation, etc.) are super important, or when there's more than one of you around with the same first name (my company has ... uh, 4 Davids?).

And then, of course, people who are around that for a long time bring that tradition elsewhere, and it spreads.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The calling people by their last names is a military thing that occasionally extends into other branches of government and civil employment where there is a quorum of ex-military people. MacGuyver spent years working for such a government agency before working for the Phoenix Foundation.

(There's also plenty of ex-military people who hate it, and I've heard last names referred to as "slave names" by sailors on more than one occasion.)

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Dude whose last name is MacGyver might have a MacGyver for a dad? Yeah, probably.

I never liked the convention of calling a person nearly exclusively by their last name. Do people actually do this? I've never done so nor seen it happen myself. I certainly would correct someone if they tried it on me. Castle is a prime recent example, to the point I can't even remember what his actual first name is.

Yes. Especially in areas where your job title (military rank, professional accredidation, etc.) are super important, or when there's more than one of you around with the same first name (my company has ... uh, 4 Davids?).

And then, of course, people who are around that for a long time bring that tradition elsewhere, and it spreads.

Most of my coworkers call me by my last name, I think its neat.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Richard/Rick is Castle's first name. Military people tend to go by last name, as do police and emergency workers I believe. Also sometimes if you have a common first name and work with people who also have that name you go by a more unique moniker. Though if your name is John William Rodriguez well you're fucked in life.
    Eh. We'll just call him Bob.

sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Yes. All the time. Doesn't even have to have anything to do with the military and such things people mention above.

Hell, it was a big thing back when I was younger in my area and tons of kids went by their last names.

shryke on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Not a guarantee though!

Probably leaving it out there if they can get OG Macguyver on board, but leaving it vague in case Richard Dean Anderson has literally anything else in the whole world to do. PLEASE HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO RDA!

And yeah Mayo that's where Burn Notice got the whole idea of explaining what you're doing from. That was the whole point of Maguyver, he explained the method while he was using bubble gum, a failed pregnancy test, and the constitution to make a cold fusion device.

Well, he was willing to do MacGyver for a terrible webisode car commercial as recently as 2012. So it's probably on the table.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMV4R1FWccA

While I doubt it's canon, in this he has a daughter.
    Also the voiceover reminds me of Magnum PI.

akajaybay on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    During my military days we, enlisted, would use first names when hanging out off duty to indicate rank doesn't matter when hanging out for fun.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Me.

My last name is my name.

Me.

My last name is my name.

Roomx?

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I actually thought RDA was dead for some reason

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    kind of a trailer for xmen
    https://youtu.be/duyj0PEDka0

Pailryder on
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Sheesh I feel like I'm in a gift shop looking at a Bort tag.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

Well, I guess we found Stan Lee's cameo!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    more 1989ish than 1983, but it's done with more sincerity than I expected it to be. So good job team!

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Where I work there are six people with my first name, luckily I've gone by a nickname for most of my life -- but the rest of us we call by last name.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Me.

My last name is my name.

Roomx?

Yessir.

It's slovenian!

jungleroomx on

Me.

My last name is my name.

Roomx?

Yessir.

It's slovenian!

I know you're teasing but I seriously would have no fucking idea how to pronounce that with the x at the end right after an m.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Richard/Rick is Castle's first name. Military people tend to go by last name, as do police and emergency workers I believe. Also sometimes if you have a common first name and work with people who also have that name you go by a more unique moniker. Though if your name is John William Rodriguez well you're fucked in life.
    Eh. We'll just call him Bob.

Or JW Rod-man.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »

Well, I guess we found Stan Lee's cameo!

Especially if you call the number.

wVEsyIc.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Like most of Hollywood, they picked only one thing from what they are rebooting to carry over and it was the wrong thing.

The hair just looks terrible, and other than the name I didn't get MacGyver from the trailer at all.

And what they could have done is just recreated the original's opening credits with scenes from the new thing, I would have been all over that. You know what? I'm going to go over to Netflix and watch some of the original right now.

They could still fix the show for super cheap too is the sad part.

Just lock the tapes in a room with a paperclip , some rubber bands a piece of gum and Richard Dean Anderson

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

Me.

My last name is my name.

Roomx?

Yessir.

It's slovenian!

I know you're teasing but I seriously would have no fucking idea how to pronounce that with the x at the end right after an m.

Having an X at the end of your screen name is short hand for "I regret being 25".

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Me.

My last name is my name.

Roomx?

Yessir.

It's slovenian!

Having an X at the end of your screen name is short hand for "I regret being 25".
    Having an X in your video game console name is short for "I regret debuting in the early 2000s"

Someone should do a reality show that brings together all the xXSephirothXx's from across the internet and puts them together so they can reflect on themselves and apologize to a worldwide audience.

Someone should do a reality show that brings together all the xXSephirothXx's from across the internet and puts them together so they can reflect on themselves and apologize to a worldwide audience.

We already know the answer to what happens if you combine every xXSephirothXx's on the planet.
    raiders_20160511145527145580.jpg

We already know the answer to what happens if you combine every xXSephirothXx's on the planet.

The point of this show isn't to combine them into some sort of horrifying gestalt entity of pure 90's awfulness.

It's meant to be therapeutic for the participants and give them a platform to confess and apologize. Sort of like those programs where convicted felons beg forgiveness from their victims.

The point of this show isn't to combine them into some sort of horrifying gestalt entity of pure 90's awfulness.

It's meant to be therapeutic for the participants and give them a platform to confess and apologize. Sort of like those programs where convicted felons beg forgiveness from their victims.

Ya but the problem is you get that many that close together and the MotherEmo program activates and they all just become a grey sludge and morph into Reaper.

Ya but the problem is you get that many that close together and the MotherEmo program activates and they all just become a grey sludge and morph into Reaper.

I'm operating under the presumption that those people eventually grew up and live under a constant, crushing weight of deep shame.

The alternative is far too sad.

I'm operating under the presumption that those people eventually grew up and live under a constant, crushing weight of deep shame.

The alternative is far too sad.

It's that crushing weight that makes such a smooth grey sludge

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm gone for a couple days and no one picks up the slack? For shame!

https://youtu.be/oIkMGgq6hfw

https://youtu.be/WVAcTZKTgmc

https://youtu.be/NqE6aX4Rm0E

https://youtu.be/qH5rgRXkgAk

https://youtu.be/buyT9dU2Ip4

https://youtu.be/xXpPweAooeE

It must be the duty free rum, because I kinda enjoyed all of these except for the Kevin Spacey cat thing. That still looks like shit.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i agree?

steam_sig.png
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm not so sure they ever realized the error of their ways or capable to feel remorse about it...
    WoW screenshot of mine from 2008:Wo_WScrn_Shot_091508_141904.jpg
    I'm still not 100% convinced those two didn't set up some premeditated chat spoof. I mean, I'm hoping they did, but...

Panda4You on
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    For those who might think "Oh, just two idiots that just made some newbie characters"

That area was at the time, only accessible by capped level characters, which means two idiots made and leveled up sephiroths.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So, Frank Underwood becomes a cat?

I'd watch that season.

wVEsyIc.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So, Frank Underwood becomes a cat?

I'd watch that season.
    I don't know if Frank Underwood is evil or conniving enough to be a cat

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Star Trek Beyond isn't wowing me at all. A part of me is just tired of ships and helicarriers and everything flying being destroyed to show the gravity of the situation and stuff.

Don't Think Twice feels too inside baseball. It's a worthwhile story about trying to get on SNL because so few are chosen (and even fewer are actually funny yeah boom what the show's sucked hard for the past few years), but man the mumblecore is strong there.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Star Trek Beyond is going to die a fast death when people see the first episode, then find out there's a paywall between them and the rest of the episodes.

OK I don't get that:

CBS is putting money into real shows, but they're only going to be online, through their own service and not on TV? I mean, hello, right?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Star Trek Beyond isn't wowing me at all. A part of me is just tired of ships and helicarriers and everything flying being destroyed to show the gravity of the situation and stuff.

Don't Think Twice feels too inside baseball. It's a worthwhile story about trying to get on SNL because so few are chosen (and even fewer are actually funny yeah boom what the show's sucked hard for the past few years), but man the mumblecore is strong there.

I really want to like it, it has Gillian, Keegan, and Ricci.... But....fuck an entire movie about improv that was probably done in improv while the camera guy improv'd his shots.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski