As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Ought To Be Watching [Movies]

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Finally...

pwHmvfh.jpg
    Now that we've got our PG13 rating, @yogahosers has a release date: JULY 29th! (Trailer coming very soon!) I'll be touring the flick and doing Q&A all through June & July! This is the first set of dates, so if you want us to hit your town, let me know where and who I gotta talk to. I love watching #YogaHosers with the audience and feeling that "What the fuck has he done to his career?!"-vibe! Big thanks to #Starstream and #InvinciblePictures for the belief! From the official press release...

SMITH’S TEEN-COMEDY ‘YOGA HOSERS’ DELIVERED FROM ACROSS CANADIAN BORDER BY INVINCIBLE PICTURES
    The Distribution Company Will Release the Film in US Theaters July 29th Alongside a Tour of the Film with the Director

PHILADELPHIA, PA (APRIL 28, 2016) – Invincible Pictures announced today the acquisition of Kevin Smith’s YOGA HOSERS and the upcoming release. Produced by StarStream Ent, Destro Films & Smodcast Pictures, the film starring #LilyRoseDepp and #HarleyQuinnSmith is the second installment of Smith’s #TrueNorthTrilogy, which premiered at #Sundance this year. The film also features #AustinButler, #TylerPosey, #RalphGarman, #JasonMewes and #JohnnyDepp. #KevinSmith will tour with the film during the month of June and July with select dates across the U.S. that feature a Q&A after each screening.

Tour will be followed by a theatrical release on July 29th. Tickets for the tour go on sale Friday, April 29th at 11am PT at yogahosers dot com. Current dates of the tour are listed below with additional dates to be added:
    6/1 - New Orleans, LA 6/2 - Ponte Vedra, FL
    6/6 - Houston, TX
    6/12 - Columbus, OH
    7/8 - Durham, NC
    7/12 - San Jose, CA
    7/17 - San Franciso, CA

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think Kevin Smith doesn't know that there has literally never been a good film made because of a bet.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So.Many. Hashtags.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Depp's girl looks rather uncannily like Chloe Moretz.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    MCU films are interesting in that the most compelling antagonists are often the heroes themselves. The best conflicts in the Iron Man movies are between Tony and his inner demons. The best conflict in Ant-Man is between Scott and his past as a fuck-up. The best conflicts in both Avengers movies and GOTG are between the team members.

The MCU does great at internal struggles, just not so great at external ones. Which is why I feel MCU films are always strongest in the second act; that's where the really compelling conflicts are addressed and resolved.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Totally agree on that one - and it's also one reason why Loki is one of the better villains: he's closely tied to one of the characters (Thor) and he plays the others in ways that relate to their characters. Most other MCU villains seem to exist in a vacuum and their actions remain the same regardless of who opposes them. You could pretty much exchange the likes of Malekith and Ronan without it making much of a difference.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    How can there not be a tour date in Los Angeles? Doesn't he live in Los Angeles? Come on.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    MCU films are interesting in that the most compelling antagonists are often the heroes themselves. The best conflicts in the Iron Man movies are between Tony and his inner demons. The best conflict in Ant-Man is between Scott and his past as a fuck-up. The best conflicts in both Avengers movies and GOTG are between the team members.

The MCU does great at internal struggles, just not so great at external ones. Which is why I feel MCU films are always strongest in the second act; that's where the really compelling conflicts are addressed and resolved.

Absolutely, which I feel is because they tend to spend far less time on the villains.
    Loki in the first Thor movie was not great. But he was still there with Thor, getting more screen time with the hero than he would have if he was some outsider coming in later.

Then having him around in Avengers, Thor 2, and inevitably other movies, he is simply growing as character almost as much as the Avengers themselves.

All the other villains front and center in the movies get far less screen time. They show up, have a tiny bit of exposition, then they are there to menace and provide conflict until they die.

They have wasted away some really good villains too. Ronan was awesome in the Annihilation event in comics. He isn't so much a villain as a character with an extreme viewpoint. That could have gone a long way in the movie. But instead he was turned into uppity Thanos lacky #2.
    Killing him off didn't do any favors either.
    They love them some dead villains too. Iron Monger, Whiplash, Malekith, Ronan, yellow jacket, Ultron...

The only two to not obviously die are Loki and Abomination so far. And I highly doubt we will ever see the Abomination again since the Hulk movies are sort of shoved down and barely mentioned by the MCU anymore.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Thirith wrote: »
    Totally agree on that one - and it's also one reason why Loki is one of the better villains: he's closely tied to one of the characters (Thor) and he plays the others in ways that relate to their characters. Most other MCU villains seem to exist in a vacuum and their actions remain the same regardless of who opposes them. You could pretty much exchange the likes of Malekith and Ronan without it making much of a difference.

I'm disappointed Ultron didn't end up like this, they are half way there.

I'll take Ronan over Malekith any day, at least Ronan was a ripoff of a great villain.

star-wars-darth-vader-sixth-scale-thumb-1000763.jpg

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I think Kevin Smith doesn't know that there has literally never been a good film made because of a bet.
    keepbeingoptimistickeepbeingoptimistickeepbeingoptimistic...

• Options

I'm disappointed Ultron didn't end up like this, they are half way there.

They needed to dump the widow/banner romance bits and give more time to Ultron as a character. Spader's voice and mannerisms were great, but he only had a few tiny moments where you saw him actually grow as a character. The rest was all mustache twirling plot advancements.
    And I'm saying that as a guy that loves me some Banner/Hulk moments... but ultimately it did nothing for the movie, had no payoff, and went nowhere. Any hypothetical future payoff it might have in another movie wasn't worth spending time on it in this one.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Ask ten people what should've been cut from Age of Ultron and you get ten different opinions. Personally, I enjoyed the Widow/Banner material and thought that the Hulk's last scene was engaging and effective. IMO what the film needed wasn't less of X or Y, but more: more breathing space, more character moments, more time to build on what was there. Like the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, I think a longer cut might've even had better pacing and flow.

In any case, we're probably getting to the point where we should take all of this back to the MCU thread.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    In the middle?

Not as great as Camp Nowhere or D2 or 3 Ninjas, but it's so much better than Big Green. And much better than Jungle 2 Jungle

Is there some sort of horrible movie spectrum that I'm unaware of?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The only two to not obviously die are Loki and Abomination so far. And I highly doubt we will ever see the Abomination again since the Hulk movies are sort of shoved down and barely mentioned by the MCU anymore.

sebastian_stan_83507.jpg

Imho 2nd best villain in the MCU behind Loki, discounting the Marflix ones.

He didn't even talk and you knew he was gonna fuck shit up, and then he fucked shit up.

Of course, his villain status is dependent on what Civil War does with him...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Ask ten people what should've been cut from Age of Ultron and you get ten different opinions. Personally, I enjoyed the Widow/Banner material and thought that the Hulk's last scene was engaging and effective. IMO what the film needed wasn't less of X or Y, but more: more breathing space, more character moments, more time to build on what was there. Like the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, I think a longer cut might've even had better pacing and flow.

In any case, we're probably getting to the point where we should take all of this back to the MCU thread.

I agree, but studios have this thing about keeping run times short. Like an additional 15 minutes would suddenly send the audiences screaming from the theaters. So while I'd love to see it be 30-40 minutes longer to handle the story and characters better... generally they like to keep the run time to the 2-2.5 hours at most. And to me, the banner/widow stuff was far too under-cooked to be worth saving when there were more important aspects that just needed a bit more time in the movie.

If they wanted to add an additional ~10 minutes to flesh it out more... I'm cool with that. I'd also liked to have seen more character moments across the board... Wanda and Pietro, Ultron, Vision.

They had that one moment in the ship where Ulton lost his shit being compared to Tony... I love that scene as it says so much about Ultron, but they really needed more like that.
    As a villain he's so much more interesting than the blunt instrument he was used as. I enjoyed the movie, but it was certainly flawed. Avengers was filled with characters we already knew, even the villain. Avengers 2 had too little "weight" to the conflict since none of the antagonists were known. Tony's conflict with the team, as was mentioned, was far more poignant than Ultron himself.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    In the middle?

Not as great as Camp Nowhere or D2 or 3 Ninjas, but it's so much better than Big Green. And much better than Jungle 2 Jungle

There is but you just say "China" and it all makes sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcxpbhM0DaA

• Options

sebastian_stan_83507.jpg

He didn't even talk and you knew he was gonna fuck shit up, and then he fucked shit up.

He's not truly a villain however. He's a victim, and will (if they follow the comics) be the one who replaces Steve as Captain America.

Granted the MCU could certainly go a different route, but at least in terms of the Winter Soldier, he's not actually the villain. So yeah, I also like his character, but doesn't really count. :)

• Options
    Depp's girl looks rather uncannily like Chloe Moretz.

She looks more like Helena Bonham Carter to me, which makes the whole thing even creepier. It is literally a Tim Burton movie come to life.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who liked Ronan the Accuser? Maybe it was just because I'm jealous that he has an epithet and I don't!

I also really liked Lee Pace as Thranduil. He did a great job showing the aloofness and sorrow that agelessness (but not immortality) would bring.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Lee Pace did as good a job as could be expected with the material, but IMO the MCU relies too much on good actors with charm and charisma to pull all the villainous weight, neglecting the writing in turn. Compare this to something like Die Hard, where you've got a fantastic Alan Rickman and witty, effective writing combining to create an iconic action movie villain. Hugo Weaving in The Matrix is another such example. Ronan, though? Underwritten, just like Malekith. Thematically the Iron Man villains are better, reflecting on the protagonist in one way or another, and personally I'm a big fan of IM3's Mandarin, but I found the IM and IM2 villains similarly underwritten and thin.

Anyway, I tried to bring in other films as well, but as the discussion is really about the MCU, shouldn't we take it to that thread?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Am I the only one who liked Ronan the Accuser? Maybe it was just because I'm jealous that he has an epithet and I don't!

I also really liked Lee Pace as Thranduil. He did a great job showing the aloofness and sorrow that agelessness (but not immortality) would bring.

I liked Ronan in concept. I thought the guy playing him did a decent job.
    It's just there's not much to him.

You never see why he wants to go all genocidal. You are told there was a war, but it's over, and he wasn't cool with that.

But that's it. No personal reason, nothing to make him a character with more than one dimension. He's just got a mad on because reasons and that's it.

• Options
    In the middle?

"I give this film 2 out of 3 Ninjas"

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Lee Pace did as good a job as could be expected with the material, but IMO the MCU relies too much on good actors with charm and charisma to pull all the villainous weight, neglecting the writing in turn. Compare this to something like Die Hard, where you've got a fantastic Alan Rickman and witty, effective writing combining to create an iconic action movie villain. Hugo Weaving in The Matrix is another such example. Ronan, though? Underwritten, just like Malekith. Thematically the Iron Man villains are better, reflecting on the protagonist in one way or another, and personally I'm a big fan of IM3's Mandarin, but I found the IM and IM2 villains similarly underwritten and thin.

Anyway, I tried to bring in other films as well, but as the discussion is really about the MCU, shouldn't we take it to that thread?
    This is probably blasphemy as well, but Loki was terribly written.

In Thor, his motivations change wildly from scene to scene and his machinations are counter-productive. He doesn't pursue a goal as much as just be a nuisance.
    In Avengers, he's just completely bonkers and might as well be a totally different character.
    In Thor 2 - wait I don't actually remember anything from it because it was so bland

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    If you watch Guardians of the Galaxy, freeze the screen when they blow up his hammer. The expression on his face is priceless.

• Options
    In the middle?

"I give this film 2 out of 3 Ninjas"

That's a fair grading scale because Rocky and TumTum are swick, Colt is streets behind

• Options
    Marvellous.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

sebastian_stan_83507.jpg

Eh, kinda. He was certainly the best frmo a fight-scene perspective in that he was intimidating and looked awesome in fights and all that.

Characterization wise there's nothing there though and he's basically emblematic of the biggest faults in TWS (in that it's a movie named after him where he is superfluous).

I am hopeful for him in Civil War though because it looks like they might actually use the character for something.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

sebastian_stan_83507.jpg

Eh, kinda. He was certainly the best frmo a fight-scene perspective in that he was intimidating and looked awesome in fights and all that.

Characterization wise there's nothing there though and he's basically emblematic of the biggest faults in TWS (in that it's a movie named after him where he is superfluous).

I am hopeful for him in Civil War though because it looks like they might actually use the character for something.

His characterization is retroactive... I mean, if you somehow hadn't figured out who it was.

It was entirely dependent on his work on Cap 1.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Rumlo was a villain in Winter Soldier. I thought he was pretty awesome.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Characterization wise there's nothing there though...
    Yeah, he's a bit like Darth Maul in that way, though there's potential.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I still believe the original intent was for Red Skull to be the villain in Avengers, but after Skull tanked and Loki exploded they swerved hard.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I still believe the original intent was for Red Skull to be the villain in Avengers, but after Skull tanked and Loki exploded they swerved hard.

I can see that. The portal opener and the gem-related shit means basically anyone could hop into the role. Little of it was specifically about Loki having Loki powers. If anything, it was weird for Loki to play lackey for anyone.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hokay, let's take MCU stuff to the MCU thread.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I can see that. The portal opener and the gem-related shit means basically anyone could hop into the role. Little of it was specifically about Loki having Loki powers. If anything, it was weird for Loki to play lackey for anyone.

Didn't Hugo Weaving end up seriously disliking the role once he was done as well?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Brick is still a very good film. It's funny, part of me wants to say that it has aged a bit, given how much of the mystery could have been solved significantly faster with smartphones, but it's got such a retro detective vibe regardless, so that doesn't really bring it down. It all has the feel of taking place in a parallel universe anyway.

One of my favorite moments:
    The Pin is talking to Brendan on the beach and asks him "Have you ever read Tolkien?" and you think he is going to go into some sort of dramatic monologue, pull some words of wisdom from Tolkien and share them with Brendan in that self-important drug kingpin sort of way (think of the monologue from the end of Layer Cake, for example) but then all he says is "His descriptions of things are really good".

I also love love love how the movie smash cuts to black at basically the exact second that the story ends.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    So, in this Facebook movie group I'm on, someone just posted a message saying that Bridge on the River Kwai is the better film than Lawrence of Arabia. It's probably been around 30 years since I've seen Kwai, but I have my doubts that anything can out-epic Lawrence. Have any of you seen Kwai more recently? How well does it hold up against Lean's other epics?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So, in this Facebook movie group I'm on, someone just posted a message saying that Bridge on the River Kwai is the better film than Lawrence of Arabia. It's probably been around 30 years since I've seen Kwai, but I have my doubts that anything can out-epic Lawrence. Have any of you seen Kwai more recently? How well does it hold up against Lean's other epics?

I saw Lawrence in 70mm fairly recently, so I can't offer any arguments against it.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Brick is still a very good film. It's funny, part of me wants to say that it has aged a bit, given how much of the mystery could have been solved significantly faster with smartphones, but it's got such a retro detective vibe regardless, so that doesn't really bring it down. It all has the feel of taking place in a parallel universe anyway.

The Pin is talking to Brendan on the beach and asks him "Have you ever read Tolkien?" and you think he is going to go into some sort of dramatic monologue, pull some words of wisdom from Tolkien and share them with Brendan in that self-important drug kingpin sort of way (think of the monologue from the end of Layer Cake, for example) but then all he says is "His descriptions of things are really good".

I also love love love how the movie smash cuts to black at basically the exact second that the story ends.

"I've got all five senses and I slept last night, that puts me six up on the lot of you."

Love Brick. After I watched that I basically had to go watch everything JGL's ever been in.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

My favorite part of that was that it was hands down the most real part.

Like, yeah, everyone is a hard-nosed, hard-boiled noir character, but they're still just kids.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
This discussion has been closed.